PDA

View Full Version : Ashworm Dragoon Build Help

Menteith
2012-04-25, 11:59 AM
I've been invited to play in a fresh Red Hand of Doom campaign, slightly modified and starting at level six, and I'd like to run a class that's always interested me. The Ashworm Dragoon is a mounted mundane, with an interesting feel, and has useful, synergistic class abilities that all focus on mounted combat.

Here are a list of relevant house rules;

- An Ashworm may be taken as an Animal Companion at effective Druid level 4 (the same as other CR2 Wasteland Animal Companions), and an Ashworm taken as an Animal Companion may be designated as an Ashworm Mount.

- The Trample feat has been changed. The new text reads;
When you attempt to overrun an opponent while mounted, your target may not choose to avoid you. When making a charge, you may move over targets in the path of your mount if your mount makes a successful overrun against that target. This overrun attempt is made as a part of movement, and does not require an action. Your mount may make one attack with an appropriate natural weapon against any target you knock down.

- Trample is now a pre-req for the Ride-By Attack feat.

No multi-classing penalties, LA1 or LA0 races/templates only with UA buyoff allowed, Dragon Mags are acceptable on a case by case basis, the party is going to be composed of relatively low power characters (Tier 3 or lower, some people might not be heavily optimizing). In general, every 3.5 book is allowed, and 3.0 material is allowed on a case by case basis. We're starting at level 6, and from what I know of Red Hand of Doom we'll go into low teens at the highest.

Anyone have any advice on working with the prestige class, or have any good tips on mounted combat in general?

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 12:05 PM
I've been invited to play in a fresh Red Hand of Doom campaign, slightly modified and starting at level six, and I'd like to run a class that's always interested me. The Ashworm Dragoon is a mounted mundane, with an interesting feel, and has useful, synergistic class abilities that all focus on mounted combat.

Here are a list of relevant house rules;

- An Ashworm may be taken as an Animal Companion at effective Druid level 4 (the same as other CR2 Wasteland Animal Companions), and an Ashworm taken as an Animal Companion may be designated as an Ashworm Mount.

- The Trample feat has been changed. The new text reads;
When you attempt to overrun an opponent while mounted, your target may not choose to avoid you. When making a charge, you may move over targets in the path of your mount if your mount makes a successful overrun against that target. This overrun attempt is made as a part of movement, and does not require an action. Your mount may make one attack with an appropriate natural weapon against any target you knock down.

- Trample is now a pre-req for the Ride-By Attack feat.

No multi-classing penalties, LA1 or LA0 races/templates only with UA buyoff allowed, Dragon Mags are acceptable on a case by case basis, the party is going to be composed of relatively low power characters (Tier 3 or lower, some people might not be heavily optimizing). In general, every 3.5 book is allowed, and 3.0 material is allowed on a case by case basis. We're starting at level 6, and from what I know of Red Hand of Doom we'll go into low teens at the highest.

Anyone have any advice on working with the prestige class, or have any good tips on mounted combat in general?

My 2c:

Strongheart Halfling makes a great mounted rider. Everything that makes Human good (bonus feat) with what Halfling brings to the table.

Something like Paladin 5/Ashworm Dragoon x/Halfling Outrider Y with Mounted Combat maxed out would be a hoot to play

Menteith
2012-04-25, 12:08 PM
My 2c:

Strongheart Halfling makes a great mounted rider. Everything that makes Human good (bonus feat) with what Halfling brings to the table.

Something like Paladin 5/Ashworm Dragoon x/Halfling Outrider Y with Mounted Combat maxed out would be a hoot to play

My only concern with using Paladin --> Ashworm Dragoon is I only get the mount for 2h/paladin level, meaning I'm really, really ineffective for 14 hours every day. Is there a way to gain access to a Paladin's mount all the time, without taking 12 levels of Paladin?

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 12:38 PM
My only concern with using Paladin --> Ashworm Dragoon is I only get the mount for 2h/paladin level, meaning I'm really, really ineffective for 14 hours every day. Is there a way to gain access to a Paladin's mount all the time, without taking 12 levels of Paladin?

If your GM will allow it, Cavalier from PF (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier) would be a decent cup of tea for your needs. Combo this with Beast Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/beast-rider)

Menteith
2012-04-25, 12:45 PM
If your GM will allow it, Cavalier from PF (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier) would be a decent cup of tea for your needs. Combo this with Beast Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/beast-rider)

I wish Pathfinder was open. My original character would have been an Alchemist (a class I am desperately in love with).

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 01:00 PM
I wish Pathfinder was open. My original character would have been an Alchemist (a class I am desperately in love with).

Ranger? Lower casting (doesn't hurt as bad with casting loss)

Menteith
2012-04-25, 01:08 PM
Ranger? Lower casting (doesn't hurt as bad with casting loss)

That's certainly something I'm thinking about. Casting would be very, very limited however (to the point where I'd consider Champion of the Wild's crappy bonus feat). Still, full BAB, and decent skills helps. Is there anything aside from Wildshape Ranger that Combat Styles can be traded for? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would make them beneficial to a Mounted Melee.

EDIT

I'm going to see if I can designate an Ashworm Wild Cohort as my Ashworm mount. That gives a stronger progression anyway.

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 01:29 PM
That's certainly something I'm thinking about. Casting would be very, very limited however (to the point where I'd consider Champion of the Wild's crappy bonus feat). Still, full BAB, and decent skills helps. Is there anything aside from Wildshape Ranger that Combat Styles can be traded for? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would make them beneficial to a Mounted Melee.

EDIT

I'm going to see if I can designate an Ashworm Wild Cohort as my Ashworm mount. That gives a stronger progression anyway.

I second Wild Cohort. It won't cause the same issues that Leadership will and will act less of a pain in the butt to the party.