PDA

View Full Version : Building a Pathfinder Society character

Silus
2012-04-25, 01:28 PM
Ok, so I've taken to playing Pathfinder Society games (Mostly due to apparent lack of gaming groups in my area) and am looking at making a second character as either backup or an alternative (Currently playing a Half-Elf Dawnflower Dervish Bard).

A bit about society games for those that do not know. Generally, the max level is ~8 unless you attend conventions regularly (Games of 8+ are usually reserved for big cons like Paizocon and whatnot). Unless awarded them at cons or some other Society event, monster races are off limits (My friend managed to land herself the use of a Tengu character from the last con). Two traits are allowed per person (More if a boon allows for it, only one of each type of course). More info can be found here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/resources) for what is and is not allowed.

Anywho, like the thread title says, I'm looking at making a new Society character, but I'm kinda unsure which way to go. The Dawnflower Dervish was kind of my #1 goal when I started, but I don't know where to go from there.

Here's some ideas I've had:
Polearm Fighter ('cause I don't see them nearly enough)
Archery Fighter (Again, not seen enough and lots of options)
Tanking fighter (Unstoppable archetype + heavy armor + shield + Antagonize feat?)
Alchemist (Looking to go more Mutagens than bombs at the moment)
Synthesist Summoner ('Cause hey, why not?)

Other suggestions are appreciated and more than welcome. I'm mostly looking for something that can hold their own regardless of the group makeup, be useful to the group, and will not lose much utility by lvl 8.

Cieyrin
2012-04-25, 01:46 PM
Mutagen-focused Alchemists, probably PrCing into Master Chymist, work fine in Society, especially if you throw in Vivisectionist and Beastmorph, though Master Chymist doesn't advance Sneak Attack, which is a bit unfortunate.

As for high level PFS, that's just a matter of getting enough players into high enough level characters, as my local group is transitioning into supporting both low and high level play and there are a number of mods that simply aren't written for low levels and start at 7th or 5th and go up from there. Talk to your local PFS organizer or Venture Lieutenant/Captain about it and you should be able to continue play beyond 8th level, as Society is designed to go till 12th, though 11th is a more suitable cap as there's only one module written for PFS 12th level play, Eyes of the Ten, though there's ruminations about new scenario arcs being written, plus you can still play modules.

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 01:51 PM
I prefer the opposite end of Alchemist.

Gnome gets bombs galore, and the Preservationist plays a lot by Pokemon, summoning animals in a bauble form.

By playing as a bomber, you can control the battlefield and help out the party's flanker by summoning animals and smashing the enemies from the side.

Cieyrin
2012-04-25, 02:11 PM
I prefer the opposite end of Alchemist.

Gnome gets bombs galore, and the Preservationist plays a lot by Pokemon, summoning animals in a bauble form.

By playing as a bomber, you can control the battlefield and help out the party's flanker by summoning animals and smashing the enemies from the side.

Not to mention some of the PFS writers have a love affair with swarms, which alchemists take care of right handily, regardless if they're Vivisectionist or not, as all Alchemists are the only class capable of crafting in PFS, meaning alchemist's fires, acid and fireworks!

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 02:26 PM
Not to mention some of the PFS writers have a love affair with swarms, which alchemists take care of right handily, regardless if they're Vivisectionist or not, as all Alchemists are the only class capable of crafting in PFS, meaning alchemist's fires, acid and fireworks!

Stinking Cloud + Summon Nature's Ally V = Mobs are in trouble.

Silus
2012-04-25, 05:00 PM
Well since there's no rule against having multiple characters, I suppose I could make a Mutagen and Bomb Alchemist for differing scenarios.

I'd still like some input on the fighters though if ya'll wouldn't mind.

I've already started on the Polearm fighter and wouldn't mind some rough feedback.

Human Fighter (trololol), Polearm Fighter archetype
Str: 19
Dex: 13
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 7

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus (Glaive)

Weapon: Glaive
Armor: Scale Mail

Traits:
Tianjing Temple Guard (Boon): +1 on AOO with Polearms
Reactionary: +2 Initiative
Sacred Touch: As a standard action, you may automatically stabilize a dying creature merely by touching it.

Hitting with a Glaive on +6 for 1d10+4, but I've only got 16 AC. Haven't picked Skills yet.

deuxhero
2012-04-25, 06:32 PM
I thought Tengu were upgraded to full player races in one of the Dragon Empire books?

Zen Archer Monk, plus Empyrical Sorcerer+Arcane Archer if you get high enough.

Cieyrin
2012-04-25, 08:38 PM
Stinking Cloud + Summon Nature's Ally V = Mobs are in trouble.

That's great and all at 5th and 9th but what about at 1st? I've encountered a good many swarms at low levels. Meleers and archers are generally screwed and not every caster has damaging AoEs on hand (scary thought, I know).

Well since there's no rule against having multiple characters, I suppose I could make a Mutagen and Bomb Alchemist for differing scenarios.

I'd still like some input on the fighters though if ya'll wouldn't mind.

I've already started on the Polearm fighter and wouldn't mind some rough feedback.

Human Fighter (trololol), Polearm Fighter archetype
Str: 19
Dex: 13
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 7

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus (Glaive)

Weapon: Glaive
Armor: Scale Mail

Traits:
Tianjing Temple Guard (Boon): +1 on AOO with Polearms
Reactionary: +2 Initiative
Sacred Touch: As a standard action, you may automatically stabilize a dying creature merely by touching it.

Hitting with a Glaive on +6 for 1d10+4, but I've only got 16 AC. Haven't picked Skills yet.

Seems reasonable at 1st level, though I don't necessarily see a reason to pursue Weapon Focus unless you want to go up a chain that requires it, since I don't think +5% to hit is necessarily worth a feat.

I thought Tengu were upgraded to full player races in one of the Dragon Empire books?

Nope, only core races are allowed without a boon granting otherwise.

Silus
2012-04-25, 09:12 PM
Seems reasonable at 1st level, though I don't necessarily see a reason to pursue Weapon Focus unless you want to go up a chain that requires it, since I don't think +5% to hit is necessarily worth a feat.

It's mostly due to the fact that I couldn't really find anything else that worked really well with polearms. I suppose I could take Dodge or something for that extra bit of AC.

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 09:21 PM
Here's something to consider:

Race: Half-Orc (Chain Fighter)
Class: Fighter 20

Feats: Focus on tripping

Cieyrin
2012-04-25, 09:21 PM
It's mostly due to the fact that I couldn't really find anything else that worked really well with polearms. I suppose I could take Dodge or something for that extra bit of AC.

If you have access to Ultimate Combat, you could use Cleaving Finish or, if you boost your Dex, take advantage of the Polearm Master's bonus on AoOs to grab Combat Reflexes and then build off of that, like Bodyguard and In Harm's Way. Furious Finish essentially turns Power Attack into bonus damage till you get an extra iterative, since you don't suffer an attack penalty on the first attack and that's all you have from 1st-5th. :smallwink:

Silus
2012-04-25, 10:32 PM
If you have access to Ultimate Combat, you could use Cleaving Finish or, if you boost your Dex, take advantage of the Polearm Master's bonus on AoOs to grab Combat Reflexes and then build off of that, like Bodyguard and In Harm's Way. Furious Finish essentially turns Power Attack into bonus damage till you get an extra iterative, since you don't suffer an attack penalty on the first attack and that's all you have from 1st-5th. :smallwink:

You mean Cleaving Finish, right?

Also, would Whirlwind Attack be an good tree to try, assuming I don't go with Power Attack and Cleave?

Cieyrin
2012-04-26, 09:33 AM
You mean Cleaving Finish, right?

Actually, I meant Furious Focus, I mixed it up with the Barbarian feat that keys off of Vital Strike.

Also, would Whirlwind Attack be an good tree to try, assuming I don't go with Power Attack and Cleave?

I think Cleave and Great Cleave are more accessible than Whirlwind Attack is, considering it's a 3 feat investment to a 5 feat investment for a tactic you may not need on a regular basis.