PDA

View Full Version : Character concept: A child of Neth

hushblade
2012-04-25, 01:28 PM
I've been tossing this idea around for a while.

Neth sometimes buds children to serve as interior “antibodies”, but more often they are dispatched on to other planes, commanded to explore and return for re-absorption into Neth's folds to share all they have learned in their travels.
I've always sort of wanted to play one of these, in the fluff, it mentions that it is essentially a flesh golem and not technically sentient, so there are three options I see to gain sentience.

1. Some minor re-fluffing of the concept and make all of Neth's children sentient.
2. Make my character a special experiment of Neth's.
2a. A random mistake made by Neth resulting in sentience.
3. Some sort of happenstance after his creation causing sentience afterwards.

Of course Flesh Golems(even if awakened) aren't really all that playable, but a changeling refluffed makes pretty good sense with the concept, some minor shapeshifting just makes sense for a bud formed from a giant amorphous fleshy plane.

I think he could be a compelling character because he could start as a blank slate, with a single-minded mission, content to learn all he can about the planes around him and the origin of Neth himself(joining up with adventurers because who else has more adventures breaking new ground and discovering new things), and then being reabsorbed, giving his creator his knowledge, but slowly develop a personality, an attachment to life, conflict between his life and his original mission. So I'm mostly looking for a little feedback, ideas, critiques, ect...

Please and thank you everyone.

Feralventas
2012-04-25, 02:16 PM
On the subject of Flesh Golems not being playble, do you mean form the stand-point of their abilities not being worthwhile?

Because if it's simply for lack of a lower-level version, there's a PC progression for Flesh Golems in Savage Species for 3.0/3.5. Lots of the main features like its immunities and construct traits are available early on, and if your DM will allow you to multi-class out early you could dip into something like Warblade for fighting capacity, or maybe Ardent with machine-related mantles (because the starting features also nerf the hell out of your Int and Charisma, so Wisdom-based or Physique-based classes would be your best bet after that.) Or just stick it out for 15 levels of savage progression and enjoy your natural armor, DR, immunities and such while boosting utility via Martial Study and perhaps Infernal Heritage feats (Complete Mage) representing some measure of foul magic used to create the character.

motoko's ghost
2012-04-25, 02:26 PM
This is going to sound cheesy but you could use incarnate construct to grab a -2LA, otherwise its a pretty interesting concept