PDA

View Full Version : Spell that Lets you Enter Dreams?

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-25, 10:07 PM
I think I remember reading this before, a spell that lets you enter someone else's dreams? Does anyone know of a spell like that? Please list your source if you do.

Hirax
2012-04-25, 10:13 PM
Dream, from the PHB, and dream casting in the Spell Compendium might be useful depending on what exactly what you want to do.

Lateral
2012-04-25, 10:20 PM
Alternatively, there's always Lucid Dreaming. :smallwink:
Don't use Lucid Dreaming. It's a dumb, broken thing.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-25, 10:22 PM
Dream, from the PHB, and dream casting in the Spell Compendium might be useful depending on what exactly what you want to do.

Let's see... No, dream isn't right. I want to appear in an enemy's dreams, not send messages to someone. And dream casting...that's a little closer, but I was thinking more like entering someone's dreams and being able to cast on them or fight them, as if we were both awake.

Fyermind
2012-04-25, 10:26 PM
Heroes of Horror: Dream walk.

Dreams are weird stuff mechanically. REALLY weird stuff.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-25, 10:30 PM
Heroes of Horror: Dream walk.

Dreams are weird stuff mechanically. REALLY weird stuff.

Yeah, that's all a bunch of guidelines for a DM rather than set-in-stone rules. Nothing much for me to do there, but it's as close as I'm going to get, I think. Thanks for your help.

Alleran
2012-04-25, 10:31 PM
Alternatively, there's always Lucid Dreaming. :smallwink:
Don't use Lucid Dreaming. It's a dumb, broken thing.
Broken? How so?

Oh, and I believe there's a Dream Travel spell in MotP.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-25, 10:41 PM
It's a very rarely, rather vaguely defined used skill (http://www.iourn.com/dnd/skills/skilldes.htm), in which the defence is the use of said skill.

Lateral
2012-04-25, 10:50 PM
It's a very rarely, rather vaguely defined used skill (http://www.iourn.com/dnd/skills/skilldes.htm), in which the defence is the use of said skill.

Also, with a DC 30 Lucid Dreaming check, you can basically kill anyone in the Dreamheart with you. And if they die there, they die in real life.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-25, 10:52 PM
Well, I appreciate all your help, but I decided to just make my own rules for it. I was making a new homebrew class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13133098) based on sleep, and hoped there was some precedent for it that wasn't too vague. Unfortunately, as usual, WotC has dropped the ball on this.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-25, 10:55 PM
Also, with a DC 30 Lucid Dreaming check, you can basically kill anyone in the Dreamheart with you. And if they die there, they die in real life.
Pretty much, yes.
The Best Defence for a DM is "Well, the Realm of Dreams doesn't exist in this setting. While some effects can affect a persons dream, and even allow one to enter them, there is no quasi-Jungian shared unconsciousness."

Dumbledore lives
2012-04-25, 10:59 PM
Well it looks like you've decided to do your own thing, but I think Dream Walk from Heroes of Horror might be what you were looking for.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-25, 11:51 PM
And now the obligatory mention of plane shifting to Dal Quor.:smalltongue:

Crasical
2012-04-26, 12:51 AM
Pathfinder has a whole mess of dream related spells you can find by searching the SRD. (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=006680642033474972217%3A6zo0hx_wle8&q=Dream#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Dream&gsc.ref=spells)

Bronk
2012-04-26, 07:31 AM
I agree that the level 8 'Dream Travel' spell from Manual of the Planes would have been perfect... because it is linked to the "Region of Dreams", and once you are in you can walk around, enter the dreams of others, and so on.

There is also the epic spell "Dreamscape", which looks like it works just like 'Dream Travel' for except it is instantaneous instead of 1hr/level, so I guess you can stay in there as long as you want, eating dream fruit or whatever.

Cruiser1
2012-04-26, 08:22 AM
I agree that the level 8 'Dream Travel' spell from Manual of the Planes would have been perfect...Another very powerful thing about the Dream Travel spell is that 1 minute in the Dream is 1 round on the material plane (so time travels 10x slower while dreaming). If your DM disallows private Genesis demiplanes from having alternate time traits, Dream Travel can be used to refresh your spells in 48 minutes instead of 8 hours. :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2012-04-26, 09:02 AM
You *can* simply Plane Shift to the Dreamscape, you know. Going there doesn't actually require any skill checks, PrCs, or weird psychedelics.

And there's also the old mainstay of lying down on a warm bed after a bedtime story. :smalltongue: Oh right, someone elses dreams...

herrhauptmann
2012-04-26, 12:26 PM
Pretty much, yes.
The Best Defence for a DM is "Well, the Realm of Dreams doesn't exist in this setting. While some effects can affect a persons dream, and even allow one to enter them, there is no quasi-Jungian shared unconsciousness."
Which is really just a way of saying: "This is not the Sandman comic.
There is no Morpheus the King of Dreams, third of the Endless." There, you could enter someone elses dream. But was rather difficult. Also, such things tended to piss off Morpheus.

Planeshift sounds like the simplest way to enter the dreamscape. If of course, your DM is cool with it.
Nightmare allows you to attack someone sleeping. Though you don't actually enter their dream.

Big Fau
2012-04-26, 12:28 PM
And now the obligatory mention of plane shifting to Dal Quor.:smalltongue:

Insert obligatory mention of Secrets of Sarlona, which likely has a spell/power the OP is looking for.