PDA

View Full Version : Other Fans of Warehouse 13?

Riverdance
2012-04-25, 10:35 PM
I found this show on Netflix, tried it out thought it was ok, and kept watching. As I got deeper into the show it got better and better. Admittedly it's not for everyone. Definitely on the softer "Dr. Who" side of Moh's Scale of Sci-Fi hardness, but I love it. It's goofy and fun, and easy to watch. Then I got to the end of season three, AND THERE WASN'T ANY MORE!! :smalleek: Leave it to say that there was a bit of a cliffhanger, I don't think that's spoiling too much, and season four doesn't come out until later this summer. Anyone else have this happen (or just like the show)?

Ravens_cry
2012-04-25, 10:58 PM
It peeves me a bit, nothing to do with it in itself, but because I had an idea for a webcomic that was quite similar before I heard of the show, the tales of workers at a government warehouse where all the goodies from all the conspiracy theories are kept.

Grinner
2012-04-26, 12:53 AM
I remember seeing a few episodes of it once. It's a pretty good show.

Thinker
2012-04-26, 02:16 AM
I enjoy it. Syfy has made a few shows that are enjoyable in a similar way (Sanctuary and Eureka come to mind).

DigoDragon
2012-04-26, 07:04 AM
I'm a fan of Warehouse 13. I've seen seasons 1 and 2 so far. I really like it, though one bit of a nagging question is why don't they have a system for destroying the really dangerous artifacts?
I mean outside of the fact they can make plots based on them :smallbiggrin:
Don't have to answer that, its just an oddity.

Everything else is pretty cool. Love the characters.

BRC
2012-04-26, 09:31 AM
I'm a fan of Warehouse 13. I've seen seasons 1 and 2 so far. I really like it, though one bit of a nagging question is why don't they have a system for destroying the really dangerous artifacts?
I mean outside of the fact they can make plots based on them :smallbiggrin:
Don't have to answer that, its just an oddity.

Everything else is pretty cool. Love the characters.
They never know what will happen if they destroy an Artifact. Yeah sure, most of them will probably just break, but you never know which one will drive everybody in Belgium insane or whatever.

Riverdance
2012-04-26, 10:18 AM
I enjoy it. Syfy has made a few shows that are enjoyable in a similar way (Sanctuary and Eureka come to mind).

They actually did a crossover with Eureka (they brought in Fargo) and at least one other show. They made it so that all three shows were taking place in the same setting, and occasionally they would cross over.

pffh
2012-04-26, 10:21 AM
I liked season 1 but the whole Wells stuff in season 2 started to get a bit irritating so I haven't checked out season 3 but I've been thinking about it.

Starbuck_II
2012-04-26, 01:07 PM
They actually did a crossover with Eureka (they brought in Fargo) and at least one other show. They made it so that all three shows were taking place in the same setting, and occasionally they would cross over.

Alphas think was other show.

Yeah, I love Warehouse 13.

DiscipleofBob
2012-04-27, 08:05 AM
One of my favorite shows, and the main reason I miss cable. It's difficult to catch up on the latest seasons when they're not available on Netflix. :smallfrown:

I've seen up to...
Where they finally stop H.G. Wells, I think that was the end of Season 2.

I've actually tried to run a game before based on the premise, but in other settings like Eberron or the like. I couldn't do actual history because one of my players (my wife) is a historian herself and could call me out on everything.

Aidan305
2012-04-27, 08:52 AM
Warehouse 13 is one of my favourite shows currently on, and while sometimes the overarching plots are a bit off, the individual episodes tend towards being well-written. The cast has a great rapport and you really get the feeling that the characters are very close to each other. And sometimes it's fun to try and spot the "joke" artifacts, such as Sylvia Plath's typewriter which
Makes anyone near it horrendously depressed and apathetic.

I was also linked to something similiar which predated the warehouse a couple of months ago: The SCP Archive (http://www.scp-wiki.net/)

DiscipleofBob
2012-04-27, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I heard about the SCP Foundation later, which definitely reminded me of the Warehouse, although the Warehouse has a much more historical aspect to it which I find entertaining.

Riverdance
2012-04-27, 11:19 AM
Warehouse 13 is one of my favourite shows currently on, and while sometimes the overarching plots are a bit off, the individual episodes tend towards being well-written. The cast has a great rapport and you really get the feeling that the characters are very close to each other. And sometimes it's fun to try and spot the "joke" artifacts, such as Sylvia Plath's typewriter which
Makes anyone near it horrendously depressed and apathetic.

I was also linked to something similiar which predated the warehouse a couple of months ago: The SCP Archive (http://www.scp-wiki.net/)

Yeah the artifacts remind me of DnD wondrous items, except most of them would fall under the "cursed items" banner or at least have a downside.

BiblioRook
2012-05-01, 09:28 PM
I hear they are making a steampunky spin-off series staring HG Wells back in the time of Warehouse 12. If so I'm really looking forward to it because Wells was one of my favorite characters.

But talking about DnD and artifacts, who's willing to bet there's a Gary Gygax artifact somewhere in there? (Presumably a set of dice maybe?)

Fjolnir
2012-05-01, 10:59 PM
I am a fan, I am becoming more and more convinced that Archie is now a golem rather than a man.

Thinker
2012-05-02, 01:22 AM
I am a fan, I am becoming more and more convinced that Archie is now a golem rather than a man.

I had that impression about Mrs. Frederick.

Fjolnir
2012-05-02, 02:00 AM
Mrs Fredrick is psychically connected to the warehouse, Claudia is slowly becoming the new Mrs Fredrick

Moonshadow
2012-05-02, 02:07 AM
I love this show so much, but we never got the sci-fi channel when we got cable tv so I have to watch it online orz.

DigoDragon
2012-05-03, 06:40 AM
They never know what will happen if they destroy an Artifact. Yeah sure, most of them will probably just break, but you never know which one will drive everybody in Belgium insane or whatever.

I wonder what it would be like if everyone in Belgium was driven "Whatever"? Artifact destruction vs. preservation could make for an interesting episode. :D

On the other hand a few artifacts have been destroyed (intentionally or accidently) over the course of the show. My wife is a big fan of the show too and she did point out that a lot of these items have historical value to the US, perhaps enough that someone is researching a way to perminantly disable their effects so they can be shown to the public.

BRC
2012-05-03, 05:23 PM
I wonder what it would be like if everyone in Belgium was driven "Whatever"? Artifact destruction vs. preservation could make for an interesting episode. :D

On the other hand a few artifacts have been destroyed (intentionally or accidently) over the course of the show. My wife is a big fan of the show too and she did point out that a lot of these items have historical value to the US, perhaps enough that someone is researching a way to perminantly disable their effects so they can be shown to the public.
They generally seem to treat destroying Artifacts as a last resort though. Either because they fear for the sanity (Or whateverness) of the Belgian people, or because they think that maybe, at some point in the future, the artifact in question might be useful.

Personally, I'm surprised by how small the Warehouse team is. You've got at least ten Regents, plus Regent Security (Lets say at least three per regent), and considerable influence with the United States government. And yet, the Warehouse itself is staffed by a grumpy middle-aged man, two secret service agents, a tech-genius, and a psychic Bed and Breakfast operator. Five people who make up the entire security staff, maintenance crew, and retrieval team for the Warehouse.

Also, I had a bit of fridge-logic thinking about the show. It bugged me that the Warehouse recruited it's agents from the Secret Service, rather than a more general agency like the FBI (I know they don't want yet another show about FBI agents, but that's the go-to agency for a reason). And then it occurred to me that the Secret Service is about fifty years older than the FBI (which, according to Wikipedia, was founded in 1908). Depending on when the warehouse was moved, the FBI may have been too new (or too not-yet-founded) to serve as a good source of veteran agents.

Grinner
2012-05-03, 07:48 PM
What happened to Warehouses 1 through 12?

Fjolnir
2012-05-03, 08:08 PM
Disappeared under mysterious circumstances or shut down

BiblioRook
2012-05-04, 04:00 PM
I was just thinking about how easy it would be to include a joke reference about Indiana Jones (Ark of the Covenant stored in an obscure warehouse, Holy Grail, and whatnot), but wouldn't it be hilarious if in addition to those artifacts that there was also a specific artifact for Indiana Jones (I would guess the hat).

thewillofbob
2012-05-21, 03:33 AM
Warehouse 13. Okay, not great.
It's like SCP Foundation, but without the politics, moral ambiguity, interesting villains, Dr. Clef, multiple simultaneous canonical universes, Dr. Clef, arguments between the 05s, lack of explanation of the SCPs, Dr. Clef and the perfect interplay between horror, drama and comedy that got me so hooked on the latter (not that they don't try, but they give me a serious case of mood whiplash).

not trying to flame, just stating myopinion, sorry if I offend anyone, happy to hear counterarguments.

DiscipleofBob
2012-05-21, 08:27 AM
Warehouse 13. Okay, not great.
It's like SCP Foundation, but without the politics, moral ambiguity, interesting villains, Dr. Clef, multiple simultaneous canonical universes, Dr. Clef, arguments between the 05s, lack of explanation of the SCPs, Dr. Clef and the perfect interplay between horror, drama and comedy that got me so hooked on the latter (not that they don't try, but they give me a serious case of mood whiplash).

not trying to flame, just stating myopinion, sorry if I offend anyone, happy to hear counterarguments.

That's probably not a very good comparison.

One has a huge community and wiki and tons of information, both public and redacted, the other is a sci-fi show with only a few seasons under its belt.

Plus, SCP Foundation is more of a collection of various objects and the like you'd find in horror stories. Warehouse 13 is just unexplained artifacts with a historical twist to them. I'm sure if they ever thoroughly expanded on the universe of Warehouse 13 (other than the fact it apparently takes place in the same one as Eureka) you could find the various elements you're looking for.

Fragenstein
2012-05-21, 09:42 AM
Long, long ago, there used to be Bureau 13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_13). While it might have started life as an RPG, Nick Pollotta crafted a short series of intersting reads.

Any fan of Warehouse 13 would most likely get a kick out of them.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-05-24, 11:31 AM
Personally, I'm surprised by how small the Warehouse team is. You've got at least ten Regents, plus Regent Security (Lets say at least three per regent), and considerable influence with the United States government. And yet, the Warehouse itself is staffed by a grumpy middle-aged man, two secret service agents, a tech-genius, and a psychic Bed and Breakfast operator. Five people who make up the entire security staff, maintenance crew, and retrieval team for the Warehouse.

That also helps to keep it secret, though. With the numbers sufficiently small it becomes a lot less likely that anyone else will find out about it, or if artifacts start going missing/there are other problems, the list of potential suspects is relatively small.

DiscipleofBob
2012-05-24, 11:45 AM
That also helps to keep it secret, though. With the numbers sufficiently small it becomes a lot less likely that anyone else will find out about it, or if artifacts start going missing/there are other problems, the list of potential suspects is relatively small.

Not to mention I'm sure there are various budgetary concerns. Not easy to procure vast funds to seal and contain items that not even the majority of the government knows about.

BRC
2012-05-24, 05:43 PM
Not to mention I'm sure there are various budgetary concerns. Not easy to procure vast funds to seal and contain items that not even the majority of the government knows about.
They didn't seem to blink when it came to adding new agents when they just kind of stumbled into the Warehouse (Claudia and Pete), and it looked like the 1950's warehouse had a bigger staff.

None of the agents seem to work to fulfill their dreams of fame and fortune. I'm sure the Regents can foot the salary for a few extra hands, even if it's just some trustworthy security guards.

I get that the Warehouse has kind of an outdated mindset, but their "Unbreakable Security System" is a button that the one guy who stays around has to push. At the very least they should have two combat-capable teams, so one can work security at the warehouse itself while others go on recovery missions.

irenicObserver
2012-05-26, 07:41 PM
They kind of do that though, Artie and Leenah watch the base while Pete Myka are out in the field.

Das Platyvark
2012-05-26, 09:26 PM
I tried watching the pilot this evening. It's got some elements I really like, but they were pretty much balanced out by the absolutely horrific attempts at humor, and the clichéd mind control thing with the comb. I love the absurdity of the science involved, and that it doesn't tend to take itself to seriously, though.
Does it improve, or are we stuck in a rut of bad humor & pseudoscience? (Not that the second one is a problem).

Talya
2012-05-30, 08:03 AM
The premise of the show is outstanding.

The actors and characters are...irritating.

I'm still watching it, but it's more something I watch for a change from the routine, so I still haven't finished season one.

BRC
2012-05-30, 10:01 AM
I tried watching the pilot this evening. It's got some elements I really like, but they were pretty much balanced out by the absolutely horrific attempts at humor, and the clichéd mind control thing with the comb. I love the absurdity of the science involved, and that it doesn't tend to take itself to seriously, though.
Does it improve, or are we stuck in a rut of bad humor & pseudoscience? (Not that the second one is a problem).

Gradually the show gets more comfortable in it's own skin, it figures out what works and what does not. Before then they go through kind of an awkward phase.

The show gets much better once they realize that the premise should be "They hunt down magical artifacts" Not "LOOK, HE'S GOOFY AND SHE'S SERIOUS! WHAT A WACKY MISMATCH!"

Later on they go through something similar with Claudia, who eventually becomes a fun character, but first they go through every "Middle aged guys try to write a teenage Character" Cliche in the book.

irenicObserver
2012-05-30, 10:03 AM
I really want to see the episode where someone was aggregating Native American artifacts to take over the world. I think that was episode 4? I heard it was rather bad.

Fjolnir
2012-05-30, 10:15 AM
He aimed a little lower and tried for the Doofenshmirtz, taking over New York City...