PDA

View Full Version : We Stand Eternal for War. Race, PEACH, [3.5]

toapat
2012-04-25, 10:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/riOZxl.jpg

The Stramm are the result of a union between Orcs and Dwarves, resulting in an immensely sturdy offspring who are often mistaken for animate and angry city fortifications instead of living creatures.

Stramm

Personality: Stramm are withdrawn people, showing little emotion, although they present an outwardly good personality, their eyes contain a barely contained inferno of rage.

Physical Description: Only barely taller than their dwarven parentage, the Stramm have skincolors ranging from olive to dark black. Their hair is always black, and their eyes range from rusty brown to bright red. Male Stramm always have Magnificent flowing beards. All Stramm have builds that most city dwellers would compare favorably to a Brick ****house.

Relations: Stramm get along well with orcs, dwarves, and humans, while Halflings and gnomes distrust them. Elves on the other hand, carry immense hatred of Stramm, and have been known to declare wars because of the mere presence of a Stramm diplomat.

Alignment: Stramm hold no particular alignment, although most are chaotic.

Stramm Lands: Stramm typically live in Dwarven or Orcish settlements, as there are not enough at any one time to ever form a nation.

Religion: Stramm do not worship any deities, instead, they worship War itself.

Language: Stramm know Common, Dwarven, and Orc. They may pick up any other languages as relevant.

Adventurers: Stramm are almost always adventurers, as their nature compels them to fight..

Stramm Racial Traits:
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution,-2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma
Humanoid (Dwarf, Orc)
Medium: As Medium creatures, Stramm have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Stramm base land speed is 20 feet, however, Stramm can move at this speed even in Medium and Heavy armor or when carrying a Medium or Heavy load.
Darkvision out to 60 feet
Weapon Proficiency: Stramm are Proficient with all Axes (Axes are Throwing Axe, Hand Axe, Battle Axe, Great Axe, Dwarven War-Axe, Dwarven Urgrosh, and the Orcish Double Axe).
Powerful Build: The physical stature of Stramm lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Stramm is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Stramm is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Stramm is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Stramm can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
+2 racial bonus on Saving throws against Poison
Stability: Stramm gain a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarf, Orc. Bonus Languages: Any.
Favored Class: Barbarian
LA +0

Stramm Random Starting Ages
{table=head]Adulthood|Simple|Moderate|Complex
40 years|+3d6|+5d6|+7d6[/table]

Stramm Aging Effects
{table=head]Middle Age|Old Age|Venerable|Maximume Age

125 years|188 years|250 years|+2d% years[/table]

Stramm random Height and Weight
{table=head]Gender|Base Height|Height Modifier|Base Weight|Weight Modifier

Male|4’ 0”|+2d4|150 lb.|× (2d6) lb.

Female|3’ 10”|+2d4|120 lb.|× (2d6) lb.[/table]

toapat
2012-04-25, 10:38 PM
Reserved for Racial PrCs and substitution levels

Empedocles
2012-04-25, 10:46 PM
I definitely like this. A lot :smallbiggrin: Just a few suggestions...

Weapon Proficiencies is worded badly. Be specific. Does axe include dwarven ugrosh? What about halberds? And so on and so forth. Just say great axe, hand axe, and throwing axe if that's what you mean.

The charisma penalty seems harsh, but makes sense I guess.

Maybe +2/4 on checks to avoid being bull rushed, or dwarf's stability?

Favored class barbarian doesn't feel right to me. These guys are definitely tanks, and barbarians are more strikers then tanks (yeah, I know, using 4e terms here I think). I'd say knight or crusader, which are the two "toughest/hardiest" classes in the game, but neither is right flavor wise. If anything, I'd see these guys as fighters over barbarians. That's just my humble opinion though :smallwink:

Oh, and an image...

toapat
2012-04-25, 10:57 PM
I definitely like this. A lot :smallbiggrin: Just a few suggestions...

Weapon Proficiencies is worded badly. Be specific. Does axe include dwarven ugrosh? What about halberds? And so on and so forth. Just say great axe, hand axe, and throwing axe if that's what you mean.

The charisma penalty seems harsh, but makes sense I guess.

Maybe +2/4 on checks to avoid being bull rushed, or dwarf's stability?

Favored class barbarian doesn't feel right to me. These guys are definitely tanks, and barbarians are more strikers then tanks (yeah, I know, using 4e terms here I think). I'd say knight or crusader, which are the two "toughest/hardiest" classes in the game, but neither is right flavor wise. If anything, I'd see these guys as fighters over barbarians. That's just my humble opinion though :smallwink:

Oh, and an image...

Axes are Throwing Axe, Hand Axe, Battle Axe, Great Axe, and Dwarven War-Axe, as defined by Unearthed Arcana.

i thought powerful build had the same function as dwarven stability there.

Their favored class should really just be Kratos.

Empedocles
2012-04-25, 11:00 PM
Axes are Throwing Axe, Hand Axe, Battle Axe, Great Axe, and Dwarven War-Axe, as defined by Unearthed Arcana.

i thought powerful build had the same function as dwarven stability there.

Their favored class should really just be Kratos.

WHOA.

Making that class!

Wyntonian
2012-04-25, 11:38 PM
What about an Ugrosh? It's an axe on a stick. Don't let existing pedantry keep you from making a good race, that way lies madness.

TuggyNE
2012-04-25, 11:57 PM
All Stramm have builds that most city dwellers would compare favorably to a Brick ****house.

Uhhh... what?

Relations: Stramm get along well with orcs, dwarves, and humans, while Halflings and gnomes distrust them. Elves on the other hand, carry immense hatred of Stramm, and have been known to have declared wars because of the mere presence of a Stramm diplomat.
Suggest changing underlined portion to something like this: "have been known to declare war".

Religion: Stramm do not worship any deities, instead, they worship War itself.

Adventurers: Stramm are almost always adventurers, as their nature compels them to fight.

Both of these are a little overbroad, and I would suggest toning them down; a race of mongrels with such a strong shared identity that none of them worship deities, but always the same cause, requires a truly extraordinary explanation for this in my opinion.

As Medium creatures, high elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Should say "Stramm", not "high elves".

Weapon Familiarity: Stramm are Proficient with all Axes (Axes are Throwing Axe, Hand Axe, Battle Axe, Great Axe, and Dwarven War-Axe).

I suggest a minor rewording to be more consistent with other races: "Weapon Proficiency: Stramm are automatically proficient with the throwing axe, handaxe, battleaxe, greataxe, and dwarven waraxe."

toapat
2012-04-26, 03:13 PM
Uhhh... what?

Both of these are a little overbroad, and I would suggest toning them down; a race of mongrels with such a strong shared identity that none of them worship deities, but always the same cause, requires a truly extraordinary explanation for this in my opinion.
Wording suggestions removed from quote, they were used.

Describe Kratos from God of War 1.

Dwarves worship Moradin, Orcs worship Grummash, these guys take the middle route and just worship Warfare. I consider it more reasonable because i can actually see an Orc and a Dwarf getting along well enough to have a kid, while their religious differences would mean that they dont actually teach the kid religion