PDA

View Full Version : Can a Kobold be Dragonborn?

smarti
2012-04-26, 12:40 PM
What I mean, can a Kobold be Dragonborn and thus gain +2 Con and lose 2 Dex etc.?

Additionally would the +1 NA be a Racial trait or would you lose that.

Aegis013
2012-04-26, 01:08 PM
A non-evil Kobold with an intelligence above 3 (most Kobolds probably have more than 3 intelligence) qualify to become Dragonborn.

The mechanics of rebirth sidebar (Races of the Dragon pg10) suggests that while the +1 NA is a racial trait for the Kobold, you would still lose it, according to the "Other Racial Traits" section.

Chronos
2012-04-26, 07:11 PM
When you go dragonborn, you lose almost everything your original race had. What you retain:

1: Counting as a member of your original race for prerequisites
2: Type and subtype (in addition to the Dragonblood subtype)
3: Ability score adjustments (in addition to those from Dragonborn)
4: Size, including Powerful Build if you have it (it doesn't say anything about Sleight Build, but that'd be a reasonable houserule)
5: Movement modes and speeds

Everything else, good or bad, you lose. So the best things to use with Dragonborn are things that have useful ability score adjustments (like Orc or Mongrelfolk), things that have useful movement modes (like Raptorans), things that have useful size (like Goliaths), or things that have useful subtypes (like Warforged).

danzibr
2012-04-27, 07:54 AM
When you go dragonborn, you lose almost everything your original race had. What you retain:

1: Counting as a member of your original race for prerequisites
2: Type and subtype (in addition to the Dragonblood subtype)
3: Ability score adjustments (in addition to those from Dragonborn)
4: Size, including Powerful Build if you have it (it doesn't say anything about Sleight Build, but that'd be a reasonable houserule)
5: Movement modes and speeds

Everything else, good or bad, you lose. So the best things to use with Dragonborn are things that have useful ability score adjustments (like Orc or Mongrelfolk), things that have useful movement modes (like Raptorans), things that have useful size (like Goliaths), or things that have useful subtypes (like Warforged).
Just to point out, Dragonborn Mongrelfolks are really beefy (at least Con-wise). Can you throw Arctic on top of that?

gbprime
2012-04-27, 01:15 PM
Just to point out, Dragonborn Mongrelfolks are really beefy (at least Con-wise). Can you throw Arctic on top of that?

If you want a -6 to CHA, sure. For a +8 CON with no LA, that's worth considering. Shack him up to d12 hit points and away you go.

Drazik
2012-04-27, 03:39 PM
what does the arctic template do? my google-fu has failed me

gbprime
2012-04-27, 03:50 PM
what does the arctic template do? my google-fu has failed me

Dragon Magazine 306. Arctic races get +2con -2cha tacked on to their normal racial adjustments. They also get some minor stuff like +2 to Wilderness Lore (Survival) and +1/-1 saves versus cold or fire. And it adds +0 LA.

Chronos
2012-04-27, 03:56 PM
Just to point out, Dragonborn Mongrelfolks are really beefy (at least Con-wise).True, and dragonborn warforged are nearly as beefy, plus retain most of their racial features (since those mostly come from the Living Construct subtype). Of course, in either case your other stats will end up badly dumped, so you'll want to go into something especially Con-focused like Dragonfire Adept.