PDA

View Full Version : weapon sizes and creature sizes

nessus
2012-04-26, 01:51 PM
would like to know the rules about using a weapon that is made for creatures bigger than yourself.
example: a dagger for medium creatures is small (for a medium creature)
a dagger for large creatures is medium? (for a medium creature)
I don't think i need monkey grip for this since its not in the unusable category (right past large weapons for medium creatures) so i wonder if it is ok for a medium creature to use a large creatures dagger without penalty.
and if any of you guys know of a comprehensive guide to weapon sizes and their correlation to medium creatures please post it
thanks

Diarmuid
2012-04-26, 02:01 PM
I dont have a quotable rule handy, but the general rule is:

For 1 handed Weapons
Weapons 1 size smaller than you are considered Light for you.
Weapons of your size are considered One Handed for you
Weapons of 1 size larger than you are considered 2-Handed for you

Beyond that, you start getting into penalties.

The above doesnt directly relate to daggers, as they're already "light" weapons but I think the logic would translate.

Medium Dagger is Light
Large Dagger is 1-Handed (1d6 dmg)
Huge Dagger is 2 Handed (1d8 dmg ??)

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-26, 02:04 PM
You take a -2 penalty for every size difference between you and the appropriate weilder. So... take a -2 for wielding the large dagger as a one hand. or houserule you don't have to if you disagree. The srd has a guide in the equipment/weapons part, and the arms and equipment book for 3.0 has another larger one. The only thing you really can't do is wield something thats too big(like, a greatsword built for a gargantuan creature is obviously far too big)

nessus
2012-04-26, 02:22 PM
ok, cause i was thinking about some sort of a dagger wielder build and thought if i can use two large daggers (using a feat in the plot and poison to make the daggers be considered as light for 2 weapon purposes) and make them out of baatorian steel i could get 1d8 out of each of them averaging -4/-4 anyway it was just an idea of the top of my head, but still is useful for the character im playing now (daggerspell mage)

Flickerdart
2012-04-26, 03:16 PM
This is the rule you want. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#inappropriatelySizedWeapons)

In short - a Large dagger is a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, and would deal 1d6 damage. Baatorian Green Steel doesn't make it 1d8, it adds a +1 enhancement bonus to damage. If you were to knock the daggers up to Huge, they would deal 1d8 but would be a two-handed weapon for you.