PDA

View Full Version : Single Weapon Duelist

White_Drake
2012-04-26, 07:01 PM
Okay, so I'm trying to build a character that takes advantage of all the various feats which reward using only one single-handed weapon, such as Einhander, or Single Weapon style. I figure if the character isn't going to take advantage of dual wielding, the spring attack tree could be useful, seeing as he only gets a limited amount of attacks anyway (I'm talking about the whole tree, meaning with Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz). I'm thinking about asking if PF feats are okay, because it'd be nice to grab Dervish Dance. I'm thinking mostly, if not all Fighter, with maybe a dash of Barbarian thrown in for fast movement and pounce. Probably human to grab the extra feat, but if I get Dervish Dance I'll probably be a Strongheart Halfling instead. At any rate, I was wondering what some potential options I'm missing are. Also, can you apply environmental variants from Unearthed Arcana to a racial variant? I know that they're not templates, so please don't explain that to me, but if I wanted to apply the bonuses and penalties of the Desert Halfling to a Strongheart Halfling (I'm assuming that there's no overlap) to keep with the flavor a scimitar would provide, could I do it?

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-26, 07:05 PM
You can apply as many class/race variants as you want as long as they don't take away something twice.(And ideally they should make sense). or you/your dm could just okay it if you think it won't be a big deal.

Zonugal
2012-04-26, 07:05 PM
Okay, so I'm trying to build a character that takes advantage of all the various feats which reward using only one single-handed weapon, such as Einhander, or Single Weapon style. I figure if the character isn't going to take advantage of dual wielding, the spring attack tree could be useful, seeing as he only gets a limited amount of attacks anyway (I'm talking about the whole tree, meaning with Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz). I'm thinking about asking if PF feats are okay, because it'd be nice to grab Dervish Dance. I'm thinking mostly, if not all Fighter, with maybe a dash of Barbarian thrown in for fast movement and pounce. Probably human to grab the extra feat, but if I get Dervish Dance I'll probably be a Strongheart Halfling instead. At any rate, I was wondering what some potential options I'm missing are.

What level, stats, books are available to you?

Off the top of my head, I think a really nice build might be something like:
Kalastar Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 1 using the Deep Impact line of feats to attain touch attacks with your blade (in addition to having +3d6 sneak attack and 3rd-level maneuvers).

Also, can you apply environmental variants from Unearthed Arcana to a racial variant? I know that they're not templates, so please don't explain that to me, but if I wanted to apply the bonuses and penalties of the Desert Halfling to a Strongheart Halfling (I'm assuming that there's no overlap) to keep with the flavor a scimitar would provide, could I do it?

This is up to your GM, but from a RaW stand-point I don't think it is allowed.

gorfnab
2012-04-26, 09:50 PM
Here's two builds I came up with awhile ago.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Deceptive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Deceptive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - EWP Broadblade Shortword (pre-errata version) B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Deadly Defense
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Duelist
12. Duelist - Combat Reflexes
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Karmic Strike, Improved Combat Expertise, or Snap Kick
19. Duelist - B: Deflect Arrows
20. Duelist

If you can't get or don't want EWP: Broadblade Shortsword, move Combat Reflexes to 3rd level and add Snap Kick (best option) or Improved Combat Expertise (decent option) to 12th level.

If flaws are available pick up Versatile Unarmed Strike. If traits are available pick up Cautious.

ILM
2012-04-27, 04:49 AM
I went in a similar direction as gorfnab. Mine was more an experiment on how high I could jack up AC so damage is sort of meh.

Kalashtar Duelist (using a rapier)

Flaw - Combat Expertise
Flaw - Carmendine Monk (CoV)

1. Swashbuckler (CW) 1 - Weapon Finesse, Deadly Defense (CS)
2. Swashbuckler (CW) 2
3. Swashbuckler (CW) 3 - Path of Shadows (RoE)
4. Monk (Cobra Strike variant) 1 - Improved Unarmed Strike, Dodge
5. Monk (Cobra Strike variant) 2 - Mobility
6. Fighter 1 - Combat Reflexes, Dancing With Shadows (RoE)
7. Fighter 2 - Improved Combat Expertise
8. Rogue 1
9. Duelist 1 - Einhander
10. Duelist 2
11. Duelist 3
12. Duelist 4 - Craven
13. Duelist 5
14. Duelist 6
15. Duelist 7 - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist 8
17. Duelist 9 - Deflect Arrows
18. Duelist 10 - Telling Blow
19. Warblade (ToB) 1
20. Warblade (ToB) 2

A few design notes: I was just trying to get as high an AC as possible (using full WBL and fighting defensively, I'm at 94; using Improved Combat Expertise pushes it to 112 - if I cheese it up and DCFS Improved Unarmed Strike into Single Blade Style, I can get another 2 points! :smallbiggrin:) but you'll probably want to tone it down a bit, giving you more space for other feats that'll help you actually do things other than not being hit.