PDA

View Full Version : Building a Sorcerer, With a Twist [PF]

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 07:19 PM
I have the following build in my head:

Race: Suli (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/suli)
Class: Wild (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded) Crossblooded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/crossblooded)Sorcerer 6/Silver Dragon Disciple 10/" Sorcerer 4
Bloodlines: Silver Linnorm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/linnorm) and Efreeti (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/efreeti-bloodline) (one is crunch, one if fluff)

Casting: Words of Power

Feats: Metaword Mastery, X, Extra Word of Power (Undecided), Eldritch Heritage (Djinni), Improved Eldritch Heritage (Djinni 3rd), Y, Z

Bonus Feat: Skill Focus (Knowledge: Planes), Skill Focus (Fly), ?

Intended Gear:

Armor (Yes, you guys are reading this right): Silk Ceremonial Armor (+1 AC for 0 ACP, Max Dex Bonus-Any, and 0 ASF)

Weapon: Scimitar (Fluff once again)

My questions:

1. How can I minimize stealing the spotlight from the party?
2. What feats should I take over a 20 level career?
3. I get one trait at 1st level. What one should I choose?
4. How should I spend my Bloodline Powers?
5. What should words should I know?
6. Overall, what can I do to "Optimize" without giving up levels?

Fluff:

This character is a cross between the Dragonborn from Skyrim and the Prince from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Series with Casting.

Thanks to all who post with constructive criticism.

Note: I chose Dragon Disciple purposely to gimp myself so I can limit my spotlight theft. That, and I just LOVE this PrC.

SupremeMage
2012-04-26, 07:50 PM
Well for feats I would say just because it would get you most of the powers from both bloodlines is http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/eldritch-heritage http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-eldritch-heritage and http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/greater-eldritch-heritage but not sure if that would be what you are looking for.

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 08:00 PM
So for the cost of 4 of my 7 feats, I essentially get an EXTRA BLOODLINE?! Not to mention the necessity for the Words of Power feats, so my 7 feats are filled effectively. Thanks man!

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 08:57 PM
Also want to say this:

I know some munchkins on this forum are screaming, "But Whyz? You don't get 9th level Spellz!!!"

Here's the major issue. If we are just taking "spells," I lose Wish twice a day. Yeah. Not a big loss in the long run, considering that I get a metric buttload of "spells" I can make with WoP. And they are completely on the fly, so these are > Sorcerer's normal casting, since I have a nice little thing called Variety. Remember Batman Wizard? I do things like that, but as a Sorcerer.

Khosan
2012-04-26, 09:44 PM
The best advice I can offer with regards to Words of Power is to treat it kind of like psionics, with some caveats. Instead of it being 'a low level power is a high level power waiting to happen', it's more like 'a low level debuff can be used to inflate the spell level of a more powerful spell.'

Or the other way around if you feel like it, a higher level spell can be used as a vehicle to deliver a low level debuff. Can also change which save they have to roll pretty easily, either by using a meta word or by combining it with a higher level spell with the save you want them to save against.

It's a weird system. You're going to need to experiment with it on your own, largely.

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 09:49 PM
The best advice I can offer with regards to Words of Power is to treat it kind of like psionics, with some caveats. Instead of it being 'a low level power is a high level power waiting to happen', it's more like 'a low level debuff can be used to inflate the spell level of a more powerful spell.'

Or the other way around if you feel like it, a higher level spell can be used as a vehicle to deliver a low level debuff. Can also change which save they have to roll pretty easily, either by using a meta word or by combining it with a higher level spell with the save you want them to save against.

It's a weird system. You're going to need to experiment with it on your own, largely.

This is coming from me scanning over it, but does Sorcerer know every word for his level?

grarrrg
2012-04-26, 09:52 PM
First off, it's almost like you found this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229425) of mine.
If it wasn't for you "forgetting" about Eldritch Heritage, I'd think you WERE cribbing from that thread...

I'm watching you...

Anywho...

Feats: Metaword Mastery, Skill Focus (Fly), Extra Word of Power (Undecided), Eldritch Heritage (Djinni), Improved Eldritch Heritage (Djinni 3rd), Improved Eldritch (Djinni 9th), Greater Eldritch Heritage (Djinni 15th)

Bonus Feat: Skill Focus (Knowledge: Planes)

You should have +3 feats from levels, PF gives feats every 2 levels, so 10 @ level 20.
You should also have another +3 Bloodline Feats from Dragon Disciple levels. Notably you can pick up Skill Focus (Fly) from Draconic.

Also, unless you really want it, the Whirlwind Djinni bloodline power is poor.

1. How can I minimize stealing the spotlight from the party?
Dragon Disciple is already a good start.

4. How should I spend my Bloodline Powers?
1st level your choices are "Fire Ray" or "Cold Ray". Go for Cold ray, just because Linnorm is semi-pointless otherwise.

3rd level partly depends on which level 20 power you take, take the OPPOSITE of whichever you take at 20.

9th, I'd go with the 4/day Breath Weapon (3 from Bloodline, +1 from Dragon Disciple).

15th, Here's another place you could save a feat. Both Draconic and Djinni grant the same Fly Speed, so it doesn't pay to have both. You're options are Efreeti+Djinni for +30ft. land speed and 60ft. Fly speed, OR just take Draconic wings and don't take the Greater Eldrtich Heritage feat.

20th, I'd go with Draconic here and Efreeti at level 3. Why? 1/day Limited Wish is nice, but not super fantastic, whereas Draconic gives immune Paralysis/Sleep. And Immune Cold/Fire Resist 20 is better than Immune Fire/Cold Resist 10/+4 Natural Armor.

Khosan
2012-04-26, 09:59 PM
This is coming from me scanning over it, but does Sorcerer know every word for his level?

Nope. You know the same number of Effect Words per level as you would spells of that same level. You know all Target Words though.

Meta Words are something else, you can learn them specifically by picking up Meta Word Mastery, but I think you can also pick them up in place of Effect Words. Lengthy and Boost are probably the two you need the most.

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 10:07 PM
First off, it's almost like you found this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229425) of mine.
If it wasn't for you "forgetting" about Eldritch Heritage, I'd think you WERE cribbing from that thread...

I'm watching you...

Anywho...

You should have +3 feats from levels, PF gives feats every 2 levels, so 10 @ level 20.
You should also have another +3 Bloodline Feats from Dragon Disciple levels. Notably you can pick up Skill Focus (Fly) from Draconic.

Also, unless you really want it, the Whirlwind Djinni bloodline power is poor.

Dragon Disciple is already a good start.

1st level your choices are "Fire Ray" or "Cold Ray". Go for Cold ray, just because Linnorm is semi-pointless otherwise.

3rd level partly depends on which level 20 power you take, take the OPPOSITE of whichever you take at 20.

9th, I'd go with the 4/day Breath Weapon (3 from Bloodline, +1 from Dragon Disciple).

15th, Here's another place you could save a feat. Both Draconic and Djinni grant the same Fly Speed, so it doesn't pay to have both. You're options are Efreeti+Djinni for +30ft. land speed and 60ft. Fly speed, OR just take Draconic wings and don't take the Greater Eldrtich Heritage feat.

20th, I'd go with Draconic here and Efreeti at level 3. Why? 1/day Limited Wish is nice, but not super fantastic, whereas Draconic gives immune Paralysis/Sleep. And Immune Cold/Fire Resist 20 is better than Immune Fire/Cold Resist 10/+4 Natural Armor.

1. I did not read your thread at all, actually. Call it "Great Minds Think Alike."

2. Thanks for the correction. Got kind of confused reading the rules on it.

3. Hence, the choice.

4a. Good Point. Linnorm's "Lesser BW" is definitely more useful.
4b. As a note, while Natural Armor is nice, I get it from Linnorm's Bloodline Arcana, so the Fire Resistance is FAR superior.
4c. BW. Obvious choice there. Giant Form I is kinda Bull****...
4d. Might go with the Dragon Wings, if not just for aesthetics. A Genie-Blooded winged near-full caster slinging magic words is scarier than a the former without massive wings.
4e. Immunities vs. a 1/day Panic Room spell. Really a hard choice, but the Immunities are less situational, so yes to that.

Now, for the 3 lost feats. What to replace them with? And what of the one bonus feat (spending 2 on SF (K: Planes and Fly)?

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 10:10 PM
1. I did not read your thread at all, actually. Call it "Great Minds Think Alike."

2. Thanks for the correction. Got kind of confused reading the rules on it.

3. Hence, the choice.

4a. Good Point. Linnorm's "Lesser BW" is definitely more useful.
4b. As a note, while Natural Armor is nice, I get it from Linnorm's Bloodline Arcana, so the Fire Resistance is FAR superior.
4c. BW. Obvious choice there. Giant Form I is kinda Bull****...
4d. Might go with the Dragon Wings, if not just for aesthetics. A Genie-Blooded winged near-full caster slinging magic words is scarier than a the former without massive wings.
4e. Immunities vs. a 1/day Panic Room spell. Really a hard choice, but the Immunities are less situational, so yes to that.

Now, for the 3 lost feats. What to replace them with? And what of the one bonus feat (spending 2 on SF (K: Planes and Fly)?

Sorry. Gremlins ate my post folks.

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 10:30 PM
Another dumb question:

Do I get two "pools" of magic (wordspells and normal spells from Bloodline), or is it one clustered pool?

Tokuhara
2012-04-28, 10:49 AM
Anybody???