PDA

View Full Version : Help me build Dirk Struan

thorgrim29
2012-04-26, 07:28 PM
I'm applying for a game on these boards as crew member for a CG privateer, and being a fan of Clavell's books I thought I might as well make a pseudo Dirk Struan. We start at level 3, 32 point buy. So I was thinking, I need him to be pretty good in a fight, smart, charismatic, a world class seaman and leader, and be a savvy trader. Rogue going into dread pirate and legendary captain comes to mind, but I'm pretty open minded (except I don't especially want a caster). What are your thoughts?

The books allowed are Core + Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Warrior, PHB 2, Stormwrack, and Monster Manuals 1-3, as well as the 3.0 book Arms and Equipment Guide,

Unusual Muse
2012-04-27, 12:43 AM
I have no idea what the best build would be... but I just wanted to give you props for the Dirk Struan reference. :smallsmile:

Acanous
2012-04-27, 12:46 AM
I'd say going Cha/Con/Str for primary stats would be the right order, as he never really demonstrated exceptional dex. His Int/Wis aren't bad per say, but you could dump them and grab a feat or two to cover relevant skills (Appraise, Sense Motive, Bluff, Diplomacy)

Marlowe
2012-04-27, 12:52 AM
I'd say going Cha/Con/Str for primary stats would be the right order, as he never really demonstrated exceptional dex.

Well, there was the chop-stick "duel" with the pirate leader.

thorgrim29
2012-04-27, 06:12 AM
Thing is, Dirk is a complete badass, the only stat that I would dump is wis because he's hotheaded. Other then that, he's smart enough to manipulate pretty much everyone and run a huge company, very charismatic, and in very good physical condition for a man of his age and time. He needs to be a skillmonkey to cover both sailing and trading, and be able to fight well. I think rogue fits the bill fairly well, as sneak attack covers fighting dirty and they have a ton of skills. How does taking rogue to level 7 (I'll see if I can trade in the trap stuff for sailing related abilities) and then alternating between dread pirate and legendary captain sound to you guys?

Analytica
2012-04-27, 06:35 AM
Maybe this:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/inner-sea-pirate

thorgrim29
2012-04-27, 10:23 AM
No pathfinder, but thanks anyway.

Unusual Muse
2012-04-29, 01:54 AM
Found a prestige class for you: The Goldeye, from Faiths & Pantheons, p. 194. :smallsmile: