PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Yuna's Bahamut

Larkas
2012-04-26, 08:22 PM
I'm making a Summoner BBEG, and I want his Eidolon to be as close as possible to FFX's Bahamut:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110428202051/finalfantasy/images/1/17/Bahamut_ffx_merchandise.jpg

The base form is biped, and these are the evolutions I came up with:

Large (4pts), Claws (legs) (1pt), Flight (Ex) (2pts), Wing Buffet (1pt), Tail (1pt), Tail Slap (1pt), Bite (1pt), Breath Weapon (fire) (6pts), Spell Resistance (4pts), Improved Natural Armor (x3) (3pts), Magic Attacks (1pt), Rend (2pts)*, Reach (arm claws) (1pt).
*With Lesser Evolution Surge.

This should be more or less optimized. So, what do you think? Am I missing something? Should I put Extra Evolution feats on the Summoner?

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 08:34 PM
I'm making a Summoner BBEG, and I want his Eidolon to be as close as possible to FFX's Bahamut:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110428202051/finalfantasy/images/1/17/Bahamut_ffx_merchandise.jpg

The base form is biped, and these are the evolutions I came up with:

Large (4pts), Claws (legs) (1pt), Flight (Ex) (2pts), Wing Buffet (1pt), Tail (1pt), Tail Slap (1pt), Bite (1pt), Breath Weapon (fire) (6pts), Spell Resistance (4pts), Improved Natural Armor (x3) (3pts), Magic Attacks (1pt), Rend (2pts)*, Reach (arm claws) (1pt).

This should be more or less optimized. So, what do you think? Am I missing something? Should I put Extra Evolution feats on the Summoner?

As a point of notice, Bahamut is Huge at the smallest, so I'd spend on that.

grarrrg
2012-04-26, 08:35 PM

You sneaky little edit ninja you.
Almost caught you with that illegal Breath Weapon shenanigan...
Without fully pointing out the original flaw, you CAN use Greater Evolution Surge to get the full 6-point/3-use Breath Weapon.
That would free up a lot more points, and I do see a glaring lack of "Huge" in the build...
Either that or drop 5 points on DR 10, and the remaining 1 on Imp. Damage (Claws)

Also, if you can, make your BBEG a Half-Elf, that would give you another 5 evo-points to play with (favored class! yay!)

Larkas
2012-04-26, 08:54 PM
As a point of notice, Bahamut is Huge at the smallest, so I'd spend on that.

You sneaky little edit ninja you.
Almost caught you with that illegal Breath Weapon shenanigan...
Without fully pointing out the original flaw, you CAN use Greater Evolution Surge to get the full 6-point/3-use Breath Weapon.
That would free up a lot more points, and I do see a glaring lack of "Large/Huge" in the build...

I have no idea what you're talking about, grarrrg :elan:

The surge for the Breath Weapon is a great idea! But one thing on huge Bahamut:

http://www.electricblueskies.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Final-Fantasy-X-FFX-HD-Wallpaper-set12-Bevelle-30-boss-fight-Isaarus-Bahamut-Spathi.jpg

Take a look at 3.5's PHB, pg 150. Bahamut is midway between Large and Huge. :smallfrown: An honest question: do you really think it is huge? I'd have no issue increasing it, anyways, the ultimate/Mega Flare/Breath Weapon can always be supplied by Greater Evolution Surge. I could even change the energy type on the fly! :smallsmile:
Damn Ogre, why can't you stand straight? =/

Ziegander
2012-04-26, 08:57 PM
Are there any better options for elemental choice for his Breath Weapon than Fire? Because Bahamut's breath, in the FF games, has always been non-elemental damage. Something like Force damage in D&D (though I would be surprised if that would be available). Fire is the most resisted element, and Bahamut, the FF version anyway, is all about not dealing with elemental resistances. Can you get a Sonic breath weapon? That could work better.

Larkas
2012-04-26, 09:02 PM
Are there any better options for elemental choice for his Breath Weapon than Fire? Because Bahamut's breath, in the FF games, has always been non-elemental damage. Something like Force damage in D&D (though I would be surprised if that would be available). Fire is the most resisted element, and Bahamut, the FF version anyway, is all about not dealing with elemental resistances. Can you get a Sonic breath weapon? That could work better.

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, look at the rules:

Breath Weapon (Su): An eidolon learns to exhale a cone or line of magical energy, gaining a breath weapon. Select either acid, cold, electricity, or fire. The eidolon can breathe a 30-foot cone (or 60-foot line) that deals 1d6 points of damage of the selected type per HD it possesses. Those caught in the breath weapon can attempt a Reflex save for half damage. The DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 the eidolon's HD + the eidolon's Constitution modifier. The eidolon can use this ability once per day. The eidolon can use this ability 1 additional time per day by spending an additional 1 evolution point (maximum 3/day). The summoner must be at least 9th level before selecting this evolution.

Unfortunately, it has to have an energy type, and unfortunately, it can't be force or sonic. Those would be the second and third best choices :smallfrown: Of course, I'm the DM, I could always house rule it, but I'd rather play by the rules.

At least with Evolution Surge I can give it the most appropriate energy type whenever it is cast.

grarrrg
2012-04-26, 09:26 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about, grarrrg :elan:

Uh-huh :roy:

...But one thing on huge Bahamut:

Take a look at 3.5's PHB, pg 150. Bahamut is midway between Large and Huge. :smallfrown: An honest question: do you really think it is huge? I'd have no issue increasing it,...

Like you said it's borderline between Large and Huge.
The main push behind Huge (and large) is that it is VERY efficient for the points.
The extra 6-points to go Huge gets you +8 Str, +4 Con, another +5ft. of Reach, and all of your attacks get another damage/size increase. And between -4 Dex, -2 AC (size), and the +5 Natural Armor, you are still up +1 AC (Large gives net +0 AC).

The Str increase ALONE would cost more than 6 Evo-points.

Larkas
2012-04-26, 09:35 PM
Like you said it's borderline between Large and Huge.
The main push behind Huge (and large) is that it is VERY efficient for the points.
The extra 6-points to go Huge gets you +8 Str, +4 Con, another +5ft. of Reach, and all of your attacks get another damage/size increase. And between -4 Dex, -2 AC (size), and the +5 Natural Armor, you are still up +1 AC (Large gives net +0 AC).

The Str increase ALONE would cost more than 6 Evo-points.

Hmmmmm, I think you're right. It would certainly feel more epic too. So far, then, we have:

Large (Huge) (10pts), Claws (legs) (1pt), Flight (Ex) (2pts), Wing Buffet (1pt), Tail (1pt), Tail Slap (1pt), Bite (1pt), Breath Weapon (any) (6pts)*, Spell Resistance (4pts), Improved Natural Armor (x3) (3pts), Magic Attacks (1pt), Rend (2pts), Reach (arm claws) (1pt).
*With Greater Evolution Surge.

Ouch, fighting against this guy has GOTTA hurt :smalleek:

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 09:36 PM
Concerning the Breath Weapon, here's my thought:

This Bahamut is "evil," correct? If so, then might I suggest a Hybrid damage?

Say that Bahamut (the eidolon) was corrupted by evil (effectively making him Bahamut SIN from FFV Advent Children), and thus "Mega Flare" was corrupted to do Half Fire and Half Negative Energy damage. While by RAW, you can't do this, but you're the GM, and the party won't care. It makes that Breath Weapon scary, since even with fire-resistant gear, they still will take 1/2 the damage, so the party will have to put some focus on avoiding getting caught in the breath weapon. Plus, you could have it be a "unique" set of Evolutions, one for the "Utterdark"-like augmentation, and one for it being reshaped as a fireball-like effect.

grarrrg
2012-04-26, 09:43 PM

Say that Bahamut (the eidolon) was corrupted by evil (effectively making him Bahamut SIN from FFV Advent Children), and thus "Mega Flare" was corrupted to do Half Fire and Half Negative Energy damage....

You sir, seem to be thinking of Hellfire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/hazards/hellfire-cr-3) damage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hellfire-ray).
1/2 Fire, 1/2 Unholy (no damage vs. Evil, double damage vs. Good).

Larkas
2012-04-26, 09:43 PM

Say that Bahamut (the eidolon) was corrupted by evil (effectively making him Bahamut SIN from FFV Advent Children), and thus "Mega Flare" was corrupted to do Half Fire and Half Negative Energy damage. While by RAW, you can't do this, but you're the GM, and the party won't care. It makes that Breath Weapon scary, since even with fire-resistant gear, they still will take 1/2 the damage, so the party will have to put some focus on avoiding getting caught in the breath weapon. Plus, you could have it be a "unique" set of Evolutions, one for the "Utterdark"-like augmentation, and one for it being reshaped as a fireball-like effect.

Hey, great ideas! I was thinking of a way to fit Ultimate Magic (fireball), but that would take too many points, and your suggested changes would work WAY better! I wonder if there is any feat in 3.P for energy substitution, though? By fiat, that is irrelevant, but it would be nice just to round things up! :smallsmile:

Tokuhara
2012-04-26, 09:46 PM
You sir, seem to be thinking of Hellfire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/hazards/hellfire-cr-3) damage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hellfire-ray).

You read my mind! Don't go there, brutha...

Larkas
2012-04-26, 10:02 PM

Perfect analogy!

Breath Weapon (Hellfire Blast), Range 30ft., Area 10ft. I guess we have a winner :smallcool:

Of course, with Greater Evolution Surge, it could also be Hell-acid, Hell-cold and Hell-electricity :smallamused:

doko239
2012-04-27, 12:24 AM
Arcane Blast is another possibility for a baseline ability:

Arcane Blast

You can convert any spell into an attack.

Prerequisites: Arcane spellcaster, caster level 10th.

Benefit: As a standard action, you can sacrifice a prepared spell or unused spell slot of 1st level or higher and transform it into a ray, targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. This attack deals 2d6 points of damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every level of the spell or spell slot you sacrificed. 0-level spells may not be sacrificed in this manner.

Have the Summoner sacrifice a spell slot to have Pseudo-Bahamut spit out a blast of untyped no-save no-SR damage. Might have to kajigger it a bit, but it's a start : )

Stone Heart
2012-04-27, 02:44 AM
http://www.electricblueskies.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Final-Fantasy-X-FFX-HD-Wallpaper-set12-Bevelle-30-boss-fight-Isaarus-Bahamut-Spathi.jpg

Great googly moogly! That can't be FFX, the graphics were so much better than that STOP RUINING MY NOSTALGIA!

Larkas
2012-04-27, 07:45 AM
Have the Summoner sacrifice a spell slot to have Pseudo-Bahamut spit out a blast of untyped no-save no-SR damage. Might have to kajigger it a bit, but it's a start : )

Hey, I can add that too! After all, in FFX Aeons can learn spells other than their ultimate too :smallamused:

Great googly moogly! That can't be FFX, the graphics were so much better than that STOP RUINING MY NOSTALGIA!

It's tragic, isn't it? Anyways, I don't think it's too bad. When I look at my beloved FFVII nowadays, though... :smallfrown:

And I think we just made Dark Aeon Bahamut!

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/f/fa/Dark_Bahamut.png

Mission accomplished! Thanks for all the help, guys :smallsmile: