PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Changeling Rewrite/Variant

Jane_Smith
2012-04-26, 10:28 PM
Name confusion aside, this is NOT the half-doppelganger/human shape changer your all use to in 3.5, etc. This is a new race found in pathfinder that is the result of a hag and human having a child. Originally appearing in Carrion Crown (Part 1/6, page 84) in the bestiary section, it was meant to be a race that fit well into a horror themed game that had a sense of abnormal "oddity".

The reason im buffing/changing the changelings stats is because I found them to be a bit weak beyond level 3, as her claws, darkvision, and natural armor hardly scales well and I feel the benefits to witch abilities and a hex as a racial ability seems to fit there lore and background more. Thoughts?

http://alzrius.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/changeling_girl.jpg

--- Original Stats

Changeling Racial Traits
- -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Changelings are frail, but possess a sharp wit and unnatural beauty.
- Hag Trait: A changeling possesses one of the following traits, depending on the type of hag her mother is.

Hulking Changeling: She receives a +1 trait bonus on any damage you inflict with a melee attack.

Green Widow: She receives a +2 trait bonus on Bluff checks made against characters that might be sexually attracted to her.

Sea Lungs: She may hold her breath for a number of rounds equal to three times her constitution score instead of two.

- Claws: She gains a claw on each hand that deals 1d
4 damage as a natural attack.
- Natural Armor: She gains a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Darkvision: Changelings can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Languages: Changelings begin play speaking the primary language of their host society and Common. Bonus Languages: Aklo, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Orc.

--- Variant Stats

Changeling Racial Traits
- -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Changelings are frail, but possess a sharp wit and unnatural beauty.
- Hexborn: A changeling possesses one of the following hexes, depending on the type of hag her mother is.

Prehensile Hair (Su): [Annis Hag] The changeling can instantly cause her hair (or even her eyebrows) to grow up to 10 feet long or to shrink to its normal length, and can manipulate her hair as if it were a limb with a Strength score equal to her Charisma score. Her hair has reach 10 feet, and she can use it as a secondary natural attack that deals 1d3 points of damage (1d2 for a Small changeling). Her hair can manipulate objects (but not weapons) as dexterously as a human hand. The hair cannot be sundered or attacked as a separate creature. Pieces cut from the changeling's elongated hair shrink away to nothing. Using her hair does not harm the changeling’s head or neck, even if she lifts something heavy with it. The changeling can manipulate her hair a number of minutes each day equal to her level; these minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments. A typical male witch with this hex can also manipulate his beard, mustache, or eyebrows.

Charm (Su): [Green Hag] A changeling can charm an animal or humanoid creature within 30 feet by beckoning and speaking soothing words. This improves the attitude of an animal or humanoid creature by 1 step, as if the changeling had successfully used the Diplomacy skill. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the changelings Charisma modifier. A Will save negates this effect. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day. At 8th level, this effect improves the attitude of the target creature by 2 steps. This is a mind-affecting charm effect.

Water Lung (Su): [Sea Hag] An air-breathing target can breathe water or an aquatic target can breathe air. This lasts 1 minute. If the changeling uses this hex on herself, she can maintain it while she sleeps, allowing her to safely sleep underwater.

- Witch Soul: The changeling may choose to use her Charisma modifier in place of her Intelligence modifier when determining Witch spellcasting and Hexes.
- Changeling Resistances: She gains a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against charms, compulsions and poisons.
- Claws: She gains a claw on each hand that deals 1d4 damage as a natural attack.
- Languages: Changelings begin play speaking the primary language of their host society and Common. Bonus Languages: Aklo, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Orc.

Empedocles
2012-04-26, 11:14 PM
Now, first off, three things: I'm not used to PF racial balancing, so I won't go into how power balances here since I'm not really familiar enough with it to say. Second, I really like this. And third, you should put all of the names of the hexes in italics instead of bolding it to make it more clear where they end and more racial abilities begin. I'll be speaking in bold.

--- Variant Stats

Changeling Racial Traits

- Hexborn: A changeling possesses one of the following hexes, depending on the type of hag her mother is.

Prehensile Hair (Su): [Annis Hag] The changeling can instantly cause her hair (or even her eyebrows) to grow up to 10 feet long or to shrink to its normal length, and can manipulate her hair as if it were a limb with a Strength score equal to her Charisma score. Her hair has reach 10 feet, and she can use it as a secondary natural attack that deals 1d3 points of damage (1d2 for a Small changeling). Her hair can manipulate objects (but not weapons) as dexterously as a human hand. The hair cannot be sundered or attacked as a separate creature. Pieces cut from the changeling's elongated hair shrink away to nothing. Using her hair does not harm the changeling’s head or neck, even if she lifts something heavy with it. The changeling can manipulate her hair a number of minutes each day equal to her level; these minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments. A typical male witch with this hex can also manipulate his beard, mustache, or eyebrows.

Very flavorful, and it fits with a lot of fantasy archetypes I've seen before. I like this. You might want to give the strength a very small scale though, just so that it doesn't become irrelevant later on. Not really necessary though.

Charm (Su): [Green Hag] A changeling can charm an animal or humanoid creature within 30 feet by beckoning and speaking soothing words. This improves the attitude of an animal or humanoid creature by 1 step, as if the changeling had successfully used the Diplomacy skill. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the changelings Charisma modifier. A Will save negates this effect. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day. At 8th level, this effect improves the attitude of the target creature by 2 steps. This is a mind-affecting charm effect.

How is the save DC determined? Also, how long does this take to use? The description actually makes me feel like it's longer then a standard action, and maybe you could have the DC increase as she continues to use it? Just a thought.

Water Lung (Su): [Sea Hag] An air-breathing target can breathe water or an aquatic target can breathe air. This lasts 1 minute. If the changeling uses this hex on herself, she can maintain it while she sleeps, allowing her to safely sleep underwater.

I cannot imagine picking this over charm or prehensile hair. Ever. Even in an aquatic campaign. Also, I'd suggest giving at least 5 hexes (can't think of any at the moment, sorry) for more variety.

- Witch Soul: The changeling may choose to use her Charisma modifier in place of her Intelligence modifier when determining Witch spellcasting and Hexes.

Cool.

- Changeling Resistances: She gains a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against charms, compulsions and poisons.

How about resistance to a witch's hexes? Minor suggestion...

- Claws: She gains a claw on each hand that deals 1d4 damage as a natural attack.

Natural attacks make sense thematically, but don't do much for the race.

All in all, this is very, very cool. Excellent work :smallsmile: