PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/P] Critique my Enchanter

Jaraak
2012-04-26, 10:54 PM
For a new game, thinking of going Wizard 5 / Sorc 1 to optimize my Enchantment spell DC's.

This is what I have so far. Please make suggestions on how I might better it! Thanks.

All PF and 3.5 content available. No Dragon Mag.

Human Wizard 5 / Sorc 1

School: Divination (Foresight)

Opposed School: Evocation, Necromancy

1. Shadow Weave Magic +1 DC, Spellcasting Prodigy +1 DC
3. SF (Enchantment) +1 DC
5. GSF (Enchantment) +1 DC , Domain Granted Power (Tyranny) +1 DC // replaces bonus level 5 wizard feat
6. Crossblooded Fey/Serpent +2 DC Compulsions, Diplomacy, UMD*, Bluff, Affect Animals/Monstrious humanoids/Magical Beasts

Caster Level 5

Int 22 (+6)

Enchantments DC 20 + spell lvl

Compulsions DC 23 + spell lvl

Serpent’s Fang (Ex): At 1st level, you can grow fangs as a free action. These fangs are treated as a natural weapon inflicting 1d4 points of damage plus your Strength modifier (1d3 if you are Small) plus poison (Bite—injury; save Fort DC 10 + 1/2 your sorcerer level + your Constitution modifier; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1Con damage; cure 1 save). At 5th level, these fangs are considered magical for the purpose of overcoming DR and the poison damage increases to 1d2 Con. At 7th level, your poison requires 2 successful saves to cure. At 11th level, your poison damage increases to 1d4Con. You can use your fangs for a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

Laughing Touch (Sp): At 1st level, you can cause a creature to burst out laughing for 1 round as a melee touch attack. A laughing creature can only take a move action but can defend itself normally. Once a creature has been affected by laughing touch, it is immune to its effects for 24 hours. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This is a mind-affecting effect.

*I am getting a Raven familiar for UMD fun, and possibly at level 7 I'll get an Imp familiar for even more UMD fun.

Jaraak
2012-04-27, 10:16 PM
Any trait suggestions would help too! Was thinking Charming? But how many [language-dependent] spells are there with saves?

Malachei
2012-04-28, 06:00 AM
Why drop Evocation instead of Illusion? While Illusion is great, and I'd also understand for roleplaying / flavor reasons, but then you have two schools targeting will, and Evocation does have a few gems.

Do you need the Sorcerer for Crossblooded? Do you think +2 DC on Compulsions justifies the loss of a caster level?

Unless you go Ultimate Magus (which is better with Beguiler, which also brings UMD and good skills), why multiclass?

Jaraak
2012-04-28, 07:40 AM
I dont want to Magus, I'm not prepared to lose that many caster levels.

I'll be using Illusion a lot more than I will Evocation. Especially for Invisibility and Mirror Image, not to mention bluring/displacing party members. Necromancy was the hard one to give up as I quite like Vampiric Touch.

So I trade 1 caster level for:

+2 DC to compulsions (Dominate Person/Monster)
Effect Animals, Magical Beasts and Monst Humanoids as humanoids (Dominate Person?)
UMD class skill
Bluff class skill
A few level 1 and 0 spells that I'll never use

Which I will find a fair trade as most compulsions (and charms) aren't caster level dependent. Sure I get them a level later, but its not a big deal. I'm chasing high DC's. Whilst I'm aware a lot of stuff is immune to mind affecting that can't really be helped.

My strategy in-combat will be to buff party members, throw out a little control and try to mind-rape the enemy caster/healer and get them to help us for the combat. Then, if they have some item creation feats, head back home and make me some money. If not... well... operation human shield.

Malachei
2012-04-28, 07:49 AM
UM loses caster levels? That can be avoided ;)

I agree how useful Illusion is. I'd still keep Evocation, though, especially if I am planning to use the character in high-level play.

Evne though your DCs look fine, I'd grab Unsettling Enchantment.

Jaraak
2012-04-28, 10:36 PM
Unsettling Enchantment is pretty awesome. Just got to find some good low level AoE Enchantment spells to spam as debuff.

Jaraak
2012-04-28, 10:39 PM
Unsettling Enchantment is pretty awesome. Just got to find some good low level AoE Enchantment spells to spam as debuff.