PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Items and Antimagic Fields

kardar233
2012-04-26, 11:40 PM
I've heard that as Intelligent Items are treated like Constructs in Antimagic Fields, their abilities aren't suppressed. As I'm looking at playing a character who spends a lot of time in an AMF of his own, I'm thinking of making my magic items intelligent to try and keep their effects.

However, the magic items I intend to use are going to be replicating spell effects on me. Are these going to be negated by the AMF? Is there any way to make them innate enough to the item that they stick around in an AMF when the item itself does?

Curmudgeon
2012-04-27, 12:17 AM
Yes, these spell effects are going to be negated in an Antimagic Field. There is no way to except them from the rules.

kardar233
2012-04-27, 12:28 AM
So precisely what effects given by intelligent items are not suppressed in an AMF?

Curmudgeon
2012-04-27, 12:57 AM
Very few. An intelligent item is going to be as nerfed as a spellcaster. It can still speak, and use any Extraordinary abilities it has. That's it.

Kansaschaser
2012-04-27, 10:35 AM
If you'll be in an Antimagic Field of your own making, pick up the Relicguard Metamagic feat. Now your antimagic field won't nerf your items. However, it won't nerf the items of other people either. It's still useful for ignoring spells and buffs on other people though.