PDA

View Full Version : Elf/Halfling Race

White_Drake
2012-04-27, 07:13 AM
A while back I designed a race based off a cross breed of Grey Elf and Halfling, in an attempt to create the perfect Rogue. The end result was probably slightly overpowered (high end of LA +0, maybe LA +1). At any rate, I like the concept, and now I'm dusting off my old archives. Here are the stats, currently just a bastardization of a Tallfellow and a Grey Elf. (I prefer Lightfeet (or better yet, Stronghearts), but I think Tallfellow fits best.)

Greylings
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution
• Medium size.
• A Greyling’s base land speed is 30 ft.
• Low-light vision.
• +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks. Like an elf, a Greyling who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check as though actively looking for it.
• +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings
• Automatic Languages: Common, Elvish, Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elvish, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc.

At any rate, I was wondering how I'm doing balance-wise from an objective veiw-point. Also, what could some potential unique abilities be? I'm thinking about ditching the bonus with thrown weapons and slings in favor of bonuses on Hide and Move Silently, maybe Disguise to conceal their heritage. Any ideas on what some good background could be? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of some Grey Elf's desire for arcane secrets mingling with a Halfling's natural curiosity. They'll probably be rare; I can't see a whole lot of Grey Elves coming down off their throne.

GnomeGninjas
2012-04-27, 07:48 AM
A while back I designed a race based off a cross breed of Grey Elf and Halfling, in an attempt to create the perfect Rogue. The end result was probably slightly overpowered (high end of LA +0, maybe LA +1). At any rate, I like the concept, and now I'm dusting off my old archives. Here are the stats, currently just a bastardization of a Tallfellow and a Grey Elf. (I prefer Lightfeet (or better yet, Stronghearts), but I think Tallfellow fits best.)

Greylings
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution
• Medium size.
• A Greyling’s base land speed is 30 ft.
• Low-light vision.
• +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks. Like an elf, a Greyling who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check as though actively looking for it.
• +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings
• Automatic Languages: Common, Elvish, Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elvish, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc.

At any rate, I was wondering how I'm doing balance-wise from an objective veiw-point. Also, what could some potential unique abilities be? I'm thinking about ditching the bonus with thrown weapons and slings in favor of bonuses on Hide and Move Silently, maybe Disguise to conceal their heritage. Any ideas on what some good background could be? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of some Grey Elf's desire for arcane secrets mingling with a Halfling's natural curiosity. They'll probably be rare; I can't see a whole lot of Grey Elves coming down off their throne.

I think that it is certainly not overpowered. I think halflings are still better rogues because the con penalty and loss of small size isn't worth +1 skill points per level, increased speed, and the elf sense. As a wizard it is an improvement over gray elf but you could probably find a better race.

agentnone
2012-04-28, 12:52 AM
I would also say that you might want to include the dual-race mechanic found in other mixed races. Like a Half-Elf is both an Elf and a Human for all things that affect race.

Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race.

That's from the Pathfinder PRD website, but it works the same way in 3.5. Just swap out human for halfling and you're set. Other than that, I think it looks good.

Morph Bark
2012-04-28, 04:35 AM
No Sleight Build?