PDA

View Full Version : Building a character based off Gasai Yuno

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 08:54 AM
So for either the campaign im DMing now, or one I will be playing in the future, I feel like throwing a character at the group based off of Gasi Yuno from the Future Diary (Mirai Nikki) anime/manga series.

Gotta love a psychopath that you actually side with most of the time xD My question is, if youve watch or read the series, what class or class combo's (from any book really) would fit her?

I personally would stay away from any pure caster class (wizard, zorc, etc etc) despite her ability to see the current future from her diary, and just perhaps use a class or multiclass into something that has the Use Magic Device skill (not saying I need the character to be able to see parts of the future, just with the ability to if we are going to try and stay as close to the capabilities of Yuno). Perhaps something like Fighter/Rogue?

lokoone
2012-04-27, 10:39 AM
for me she is just a intelligent rogue or rogue fighter, not hard to make except if you want her with:
spoiler for the end of the seriesher god powers

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 10:52 AM
Lol yeah ive seen the end....now for a Psyychopath and or Yandere Trait/Flaw xD

Wilhelm
2012-04-27, 12:12 PM
Definitely a high Dex and high Int character. honestly she probably should have pounce somehow, combined with a high base movement speed. (She moved fast and attacked quickly and accurately). Probably use Weapon Finesse as well. CE for alignment, as nothing matters except that one person, everyone else can die messily.

Snowbluff
2012-04-27, 02:34 PM
I'd like to point out that her as a PC would be more of a character piece than any particular build.

Shameless plug for Iaijutsu Factotum.

First, Iaijutsu is great for those surprise attacks that she is so fond of. Knowledge Devotion for picking out those pesky Human weaknesses she knows, while covering her broad knowledge of seemingly everything.

The reason why every thing worked for her is because she had already done it before, and she had knowledge of it all before hand. Some divination would be handy. Also, 1000 points in bluff..

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 09:42 PM
Dont forget synergy bonuses xD

So, ive never heard of an Iaijutsu or Factotum before. what books are they in? what do they do?

If youve heard of Spoony, hes brought up a point where CN can be considered completly Psychotic/Insane etc, because they will do what they want, for any reason. So CE, or that version of CN definatly.

Snowbluff
2012-04-27, 09:48 PM

So, ive never heard of an Iaijutsu or Factotum before. what books are they in? what do they do?

If youve heard of Spoony, hes brought up a point where CN can be considered completly Psychotic/Insane etc, because they will do what they want, for any reason. So CE, or that version of CN definatly.

I think the murdering thing and risking reality to *ahem* do things with a guy it worth the evil alighnment.

Iaijutsu Focus is in Oriental Adventures. It gives a damage bonus based on your check to flatfooted targets with a weapon you drew before attacking. It sounds awkward but many people have found ways around it weaknesses for essentially cheap damage.

Factotum is in Dungeonscape. It has every skill. Even the ones it doesn't. It cheats too, getting things like extra Sneak Attack, Standard action, and Int to damage by spending a unique Resource call Inspiration Points. It gains some casting and healing ability as well. Perfect class for a genius murderer.

moritheil
2012-04-27, 09:48 PM
I'd suggest some kind of psychic character build, honestly. She has a real sense for danger, which is part of being a paranoid but could also be interpreted as having a real gift for predicting the future.

Iaijutsu Focus is a skill from OA; Iaijutsu is used in a ritualized duel between two samurai where they face off just in sword range, and the quicker one cuts the other in half. The skill itself can be rolled for big damage on the first attack you make against a flat-footed opponent.

Factotum is used because Factotum gives all skills in-class and the samurai class is widely agreed to suck. It's a way to get Iaijutsu without having to put up with the class.

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 09:57 PM
Hmm sounds fun, I might have to look into those. then look into the ways people broke them lol.

And hey, shes gotta do what shes gotta do. I wouldnt mmind causality being risked from a little Yandere action ;P

Am I a bad person? xD

Snowbluff
2012-04-27, 10:11 PM
I'd suggest some kind of psychic character build, honestly. She has a real sense for danger, which is part of being a paranoid but could also be interpreted as having a real gift for predicting the future.

She can't tell the future. She's done all of it before.

Hmm sounds fun, I might have to look into those. then look into the ways people broke them lol.

And hey, shes gotta do what shes gotta do. I wouldnt mmind causality being risked from a little Yandere action ;P

Am I a bad person? xD

I've led a pretty lousy romantic life, and I can tell you it's not nearly much fun as it sounds. For either party. :smalltongue:

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 10:36 PM
lol, ill take a lousy one over the lack there of that Im currently experiencing xD

Snowbluff
2012-04-27, 11:12 PM
lol, ill take a lousy one over the lack there of that Im currently experiencing xD

Lol we've all 8een there. I'm still waiting for a relationship where I'm not *ahem* "the other guy".

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 11:33 PM
"Oh heey your a good friend, and always been there for me....but i just met some dude last night in line at Walmart, and he looks like hes on jersey shore, so he pretty awsome OMG"

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 11:34 PM
"Oh heey your a good friend, and always been there for me....but i just met some dude last night in line at Walmart, and he looks like hes on jersey shore, so he pretty awsome OMG"

Olfgar
2012-04-27, 11:36 PM

moritheil
2012-04-27, 11:57 PM
She can't tell the future. She's done all of it before.

I've led a pretty lousy romantic life, and I can tell you it's not nearly much fun as it sounds. For either party. :smalltongue:

Hah! Double meaning of spoiler! Well played. :smallwink: I read the manga, and never got that far in the anime.

Anyway, that could still be a case for a certain type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeHop.htm) of psionic character... I suppose :P

Snowbluff
2012-04-27, 11:59 PM

lol

... stuff get's complicated fast. I should write a 8ook lol. Never fall in love with another Scorpio. We've stopped trying to take our revenge on each other, but I made a promise to not change her life. Now I'm banging my head against a wall, since her 'official' relationship is unhealthy, and I said I'd do nothing a8out it.

@the other awesome person posting on this thread. Depending on how far his DM goes with psi/spell transparency, Factotum might be able to cast it. Hmmm... picking this up would be cool. It's too perfect not to. ::::l
Fortunately, if in dire need of a Factotum based build, rather than a straight up Psi, UPD/UMD is a class skill. ::::D

Olfgar
2012-04-28, 04:40 PM
Would you hapent o have any links or such for this Iiajutsu Factotum on how it becomes broken as hell?

Snowbluff
2012-04-28, 05:01 PM
Would you hapent o have any links or such for this Iiajutsu Factotum on how it becomes broken as hell?

I can't link the skill, as I don't think it's OGC, but I can't stop you from find the DnD 3.5 Oriental Adventures book at a store, a friends, or online as a PDF.

As for breaking it... OA has a PrC called Iaijutsu Master that gets you Cha mod to EACH die of your Iaijutsu bonus. Hide in Plain Sight and maxed out hide (small size, Item Familiar, Dark Template) handles the Flat footed. A Cursed Sword (Drop it, try and draw something else, you draw it again instead) or a Gnomish Quickrazor (you can draw and SHEATHE it so you can draw it again as a free action) handles needing to draw it.

Olfgar
2012-04-28, 05:27 PM
That sounds...painful for any situation that arises against them lol

Snowbluff
2012-04-28, 05:47 PM
That sounds...painful for any situation that arises against them lol

Yeah, you can get some good damage with a pair of Quick Razors on a full attack. Factotums extra standard actions makes pulling it off that much easier.

Olfgar
2012-04-28, 08:14 PM
Nice. Ive been reading that It might start getting hard if the thing does basicaly die in your opening attacks. Is that true?

Snowbluff
2012-04-28, 08:40 PM
Nice. Ive been reading that It might start getting hard if the thing does basicaly die in your opening attacks. Is that true?

Depends, but I am not really sure what your mean. Your DM might retaliate with much tougher creatures, but this makes for a very effective alpha-strike assassin. I actually have a party of PCs all with sneak attack/Iaijutsu/Sudden Strike who pretty much pull cons and ambushes to take out their enemies. Things with ways to avoid flat-footedness are a pain as well, but Factotum can learn other neat tricks to put out some damage.

Olfgar
2012-04-30, 08:39 PM
So lets say I was doing a Fighter/Rogue, what kind of Level spread would it be between Rogue and fighter levels?

Snowbluff
2012-05-01, 08:58 AM
So lets say I was doing a Fighter/Rogue, what kind of Level spread would it be between Rogue and fighter levels?

Hmm... that's a good one. Her com8at record is rather flawless for a rogue. The Thug and skill based ACF in Unearthed Arcana would allow a full BaB/Sneak Attack sorta Rogue.

Olfgar
2012-05-01, 09:47 PM
what's ACF?

Snowbluff
2012-05-01, 09:57 PM
what's ACF?

Alternate Class Feature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm). It's a variant rule that replaces the class features of a class with some different ones. The 2 ACFs for fighter are in that article on the SRD, which is fortunately free and online. You are looking for Thug and the Other Class Variant for Fighter at the bottom.

Olfgar
2012-05-01, 10:57 PM
Huh...so you basically become a Rogue, but with higher HP, but lower Skill points per level, if you take the sneak attack variant.

Snowbluff
2012-05-01, 11:00 PM
Huh...so you basically become a Rogue, but with higher HP, but lower Skill points per level, if you take the sneak attack variant.

Yeah, pretty much. Being a Rogue is actually better, but things like BaB are kind of important in some builds.

Reavent
2012-05-02, 01:01 PM
[EDIT] So I signed in on my friend computer but is logged me into my friends account. This is actually Olfgar.

I could always just stay true to her being Japanese and go ninja xD

But in all seriousness, i think something like a Fighter Rogue multiclass would work better, perhaps with a dip into Assassin. But would it be worth picking up Thug variant of fighter instead, or normal fighter?

Olfgar
2012-05-02, 10:20 PM
So im thinking, that if I do Rogue/Fighter (whether or not its a variant of fighter) I'll take a level of fighter after every 2 levels of rogue, or perhaps for the level directly after i get my next sneak attack bonus.

moritheil
2012-05-02, 10:39 PM
So im thinking, that if I do Rogue/Fighter (whether or not its a variant of fighter) I'll take a level of fighter after every 2 levels of rogue, or perhaps for the level directly after i get my next sneak attack bonus.

After 2 levels (or 4) Fighter really stops being that great in a fighter/rogue build. Have you considered the Tome of Battle classes? Swordsages get some sneak attack dice too, as well as a certain ninja-like flavor.

Olfgar
2012-05-03, 08:40 AM
Hmm...im not sure if ive read Tome of Battle, or read much of it...is the Warblade class in it?

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 10:00 AM
Hmm...im not sure if ive read Tome of Battle, or read much of it...is the Warblade class in it?

Yes... yes it is. BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! >:D

Olfgar
2012-05-03, 10:14 AM
Lol, is something funny? (btw im not getting warblade xD)

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 10:39 AM
Lol, is something funny? (btw im not getting warblade xD)

Sorry, I am prone to maniacal laughter when I see something that is at all something funny. Which is all the time.

As for not using Warblade, I would definitely try to incorporate some Swordsage into a more stealthy/rogue build.

Olfgar
2012-05-05, 11:31 PM
so ive been having trouble getting the book, and even looking up sword sage, as i only find discussions about it as in "should i take it" "what book is it in" etc