PDA

View Full Version : Let's have some fun with a Draconic Claws Sorcerer

LordotheMorning
2012-04-27, 08:04 PM
So I started a new campaign, and I'm playing a sorcerer. The DM said dragonblood was mandatory for sorcerers in this game because he apparently didn't like the fact that dragon fluff was optional. So, I built Zadkiel, a level 1 Spellscale sorcerer, who will later on be building into Sandshaper (his draconic heritage is the brown sand dragon). I love his fluff so far.

Now I realize the Draconic Feats aren't necessarily optimized, but I want to build a character with some of them if possible. One feat in particular caught my eye: Draconic Claws. It gives you a natural claw attack, and let's you make an attack with a claw against an opponent you threaten as a swift action after casting a spell. What's the best way to use this? I can combine this feat with certain other Draconic feats such as Draconic Vigor/Armor to make what might be a decent front-liner.

Are there any spells that might be able to take advantage of a swift-action melee attack immediately after casting them? Bite of the Werebear and other buffs make sense, but anything with touch spells? Are the rules against using something like Chill Touch with the claws?

TL;DR: What are some ways to use the feat Draconic Claws (bonus points for combos with Sandshaper)

Snowbluff
2012-04-27, 10:17 PM
Uh... does the attack have to be an attack? I mean, could you use it to trip or disarm somebody? That'd be cool.

LordotheMorning
2012-04-29, 05:12 AM
Presumably, since trips and disarms are attack actions.

eggs
2012-04-29, 02:44 PM
I could see this making for a neat grappler build. Making standard tactics something like Arcane Fusion (Polymorph+Benign Transposition) to simultaneously morph and teleport into position, followed by a Swift Claw attack to activate Improved Grab or Scorpion's Grasp.

It would be most useful with independently researched advanced spells in the Chill Touch line - multiple-use touch spells that tag on a bit of damage and increasingly threatening debuffs.