2012-04-27, 08:24 PM
I rolled up a bard for a new player to 3.5, with the following stats:
STR: 12
DEX: 16
CON: 14
WIS: 12
INT: 17
CHA: 18

The one thing she wants to keep is the use of Wild Cohort for a flying bat mount. How would I optimize this so she doesn't die?
I have 11 levels to work with, by the way.

EDIT: Our party is made up of a Blackguard tank, a Radiant Servant of Pelor Healer, a Rogue, and a Wild Shape Druid, as well as one undecided class that may be Sorcerer or Wizard.

gorfnab
2012-04-27, 10:05 PM
Silverbrow Human Bard 8/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8
1. Wild Cohort, Dragonfire Inspiration
3. Draconic Heritage: Battle
6. Melodic Casting
9. Words of Creation
12. *
15. *
18. *

*Lingering Song, Snowflake Wardance, Lyric Song, Versatile Spellcaster, Knowledge Devotion, Doomspeak, Captivating Melody, or what not browse through the Bard's Handbook (http://www.brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0) and see what you like.

Swap Countersong for Spellbreaker Song.
Swap Fascinate for Hymn of Healing
Swap Suggestion for Song of the Heart (ECS)
Spells: Inspirational Boost, Creaking Cacophony
Items: Crystal Echoblade, Badge of Valor

aphoticConniver
2012-04-27, 10:36 PM
That looks really good, but is there anything extra I should take if she wanted to use a shortbow? Or are the feats going to make her good enough to not die with the reduced hit points?

gorfnab
2012-04-27, 10:46 PM
That looks really good, but is there anything extra I should take if she wanted to use a shortbow? Or are the feats going to make her good enough to not die with the reduced hit points?
Point Blank Shot maybe (not really needed though, really minor benefit, Knowledge Devotion is better), don't bother with Precise Shot since you can buy it as a weapon enhancement (Precise, MIC). Other than that she should just stand back and sing. I suppose technically you could take Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery, however the chance of having your mount shot out from under you while flying is not appealing. There are builds that can make it work but not using Bard with Wild Cohort.

Kaiisaxo
2012-04-27, 11:09 PM
I was going to suggest something completely different (but coincide, with the song selection, also would suggest switching bardic knowledge for bardic knack)

1st. Wild Cohort, Able learner (if human, Handle animal is important to have with wild cohort, but isn't class for bards)
3rd. Melodic Casting (use your Cha and perform to cast spells)
6th. Force of personality (switch wis for cha for will save)
9th. Lingering song

At seventh level start taking levels of Lyric thaumaturge (it provides extra slots and access to some wizard spells, and Captivating melody as bonus feat)

some other feats
-Skill focus [Perform] (to make Captivating melody even more successfull)
-Extra music (multiple times)
-Lyric Spell (If you ever run out of slots)
-Extra spell (a very good feat)
-Weapon Finesse (if the fight style calls for melee)

Spell secrets:
-Sonic Blast/Color spray
-Phantasmal Assailants

For this build to be effective, lots of illusions (and specially phantasms) and enchantments are important to have. At some point your bard would also qualify for some levels of nightmare spinner, which brings some benefits like even more extra slots and eventually converting all illusions into phantasms and those fantasms also cause damage.

A +4 cloack of charisma (or +6 if you can afford) and a selection of string masterwork instruments are helpful too.

Socratov
2012-04-28, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't take lyric thamaturge (althoug it is good) for casting, rater have bard 8/virtuoso 2/sublime chord 1 for now, and progress to bard 8/virtuoso 2/sublime chord 2/virtuoso 8 (as suggested by Gorfnab), with chaos music tossed in somewhere after sublime chord so you get your last point of IC. Let her toss spells form the back of her bat and drop the shortbow idea (archery is bad enough as it is unless severely optimised)