PDA

View Full Version : Bone Knight/Blackguard hybrid.

Dire Reverend
2012-04-28, 02:54 AM
As a DM, if I were to present you a character with levels in Paladin, Blackguard and Bone Knight, would you rule that my character would not get the Blackguard Ex-Paladin abilities? Remember that as a Bone Knight you cannot detect or smite evil or remove disease.

For reference, Bone Knight is in Ebberon's Five Nations book.

GoatBoy
2012-04-28, 02:59 AM
If it were up to me, I'd let you have it regardless of the rules.

By strict reading of the rules, if you have the levels of paladin but their abilities are non-functional, you'd still get the abilities, because they are based on having paladin levels, and not necessarily the abilities included with them, even if you've lost the abilities due to taking Bone Knight levels.

That's my interpretation.

Zilzmaer
2012-04-28, 04:42 AM
RAW, the Blackguard abilities are based on whether you have levels in Paladin. It doesn't matter if you're an ex-Paladin. Therefore, you could be a Paladin of Slaughter or Tyranny/Blackguard/Bone Knight and not lose any abilities except the ones Bone Knight specifically says you lose.

Dire Reverend
2012-04-28, 05:02 PM
If I were a DM, I would definatly not allow a Paladin of Slaughter or Tyranny to benefit from Ex-Paladin abilities, because they still are Paladins. (The Blackguard class says "that is to say, are now ex-paladins")

I created the Whiteguard (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Whiteguard_%283.5e_Alternate_Class_Feature%29) for the purpose of Paladins of Slaughter and Tyranny.