PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on what would OOTS be adapted into other stories.

t209
2012-04-28, 08:42 AM
We've seen OOTS made into other stories (like Hamlet, and Haleo and Julelan. Not that we wanted another story but what would OOTS be like if it was in other stories and alternate media.
1. 1980s cartoon (like Dungeons and Dragons or its parody (along with other 80s parody) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQmYF35w74).
2. Videogames (We already got ASCII).
http://www.giantitp.com/Images/GuestWeek2005/oots0303.gif
a. Bioware games (for conversation and Never Winter Nights).
b. JRPG games
c. WRPG games (like Diablo and other team based WRPGs)
3. Game of Thrones. Here's my idea..
Ned Stark- Thanh
Tyrion Lannister- Leeky Windstaff (Belkar's way too dumb and V's way too tall)
Daenerys Targaryen- Kazumi Kato
Khal Drogo- Daigo
Cersei Lannister- Sabine
Jaime Lannister- Nale
Joffrey Baratheon- Vaarsuvius
Robert Baratheon- Hinjo
Victarion Greyjoy- Thog
Arya Stark- Niuh
Jon Snow- Elan
Tywin Lannister- Tarquin
4. Other Shakespeare stories
1. Othello- Roy Greenhilt or Elan
Desdemona- Celia or Haley
Roderigo- Unseen Celia mom or Ian Starshine
Iago- Redcloak or Nale
Cassio- Durkon or Vaarsuvius
Note: I put Elan for Othello since OOTS fans would be shocked if they see Roy smothering Celia to death.
2. Midsummer Dreams.
3. King Lear
King Lear- Shojo
3 Daughters- Lien, Miko and Sangwaan.

Winter
2012-04-28, 09:32 AM
Ned Stark- Thanh

Honorable until dumb. Yes, this totally fits.

Tyrion Lannister- Leeky Windstaff

Just no. Tyrion is the smartest and most able of all characters in that book (in regard to mind). Did you read the books? What you saw in Season 1 of the TV Show is not what Tyrion is about.
There's no character like him in the OotS (very smart, very wise, bodily and magically totally unable + alignment:
Obviously Good.

Daenerys Targaryen- Kazumi Kato
No again, she's grown up, a very strong, finished character. Daenerys is nothing of that. Also she has enough power to be seen as the single person in the world to have nuclear bombs at her disposal.

Khal Drogo- Daigo

No, Belkar. He's only about horses, food, war, and sex. Subtract the horses and you have Belkar.

Cersei Lannister- Sabine

Acceptable, we just have to state Cersei is significantly dumber than Sabine.

Jaime Lannister- Nale

Wuh? Not smart, straight out expert-warrior? No way.

Joffrey Baratheon- Vaarsuvius

I think this is acceptable. Both are very immature. Joeffry just is "Hellish Evil". I think a good comparision would be Joeffrey and Darth Vaarsuvius.

Robert Baratheon- Hinjo

No. Robert is only about hammering living things, drinking, hunting, and screwing (that's why he was so successful at "becoming" king and so horrible at "being" king). That's not really fitting for a paladin-paragon. No, really.

Victarion Greyjoy- Thog

I think I'd put Nale here.

Arya Stark- Niuh

More Haley (with a higher degree of "let's just kill it"). Arya is probably one of the most broken characters (even one of the most awesome) of the entire Song (if Ice and Fire).

Jon Snow- Elan
I think Roy would be a good Jon Snow. Elan is too little fighter, too dumb, too little focussed.

Tywin Lannister- Tarquin

Hell yes! This is spot on.

t209
2012-04-28, 10:24 AM
I just chose House Kato as Drogo and Daenary for their relationship.
I wanted to make Durkon as Tyrion Lannister but I casted most of the Lannister as Team Evil and Belkar's (TOken evil halfling) too evil and dumb.
So can Hinjo be Jon Snow or Jorah Mormont?
Night's Watch- Team Peregrine
Bran Stark- Elan
TO fit in with Jaime and Cersei's sex (also the reason to put Nale and Sabine there).

Armitage
2012-04-28, 11:03 AM
[Tyrion Lannister]
There's no character like him in the OotS (very smart, very wise, bodily and magically totally unable + alignment:
Obviously Good.
No, as much as I (and many other readers) like him, he's not that.
I'd say chaotic neutral, with good tendencies
(not sure why we put spoiler warnings around this, but whatever)

t209
2012-04-28, 11:13 AM

There are people who didn't watch Game of Thrones and the rules say so.
For mine, it was too long.

Armitage
2012-04-28, 11:33 AM
Well, the TV show is just an adaption (with mostly minor alterations) of a book series, and the books have been out for years.
Is there some form of expiration date on spoilers?

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-28, 11:55 AM
Star WarsRoy = Luke
Elan = Han
Haley = Leia
Belkar = Yoda
Vaarsuvius = R2-D2
Durkon = Obi-Wan
Mr. Scruffy = Chewbacca
Blackwing = C-3PO
Xykon = the Emperor
Redcloak = Vader
Demon-roaches = Imperial officers
Tsukiko = Tarkin
Hobgoblins = Stormtroopers
Nale = Jabba
Thog = Jabba's rancor
Sabine or Miko = that bounty hunter guy
Zz'dtri = Bib Fortuna
Linear Guild kobolds = Salacious B. Crumb
Hinjo = Akbar
O-Chul = Lando
Lien = Nien Nunb
The Resistance = X-wing pilots
Niu = Wedge
Eugene = Owen
Dwarves = Ewoks (when the OOTS gets to Kraagor's Gate, we all know that short fuzzy guys will comically defeat a troop of Team Evil's most powerful undead)
Banjo = the Force
The Snarl = the Death Star

Star Trek: The Next GenerationRoy = Picard
Elan = Troi
Haley = Riker
Belkar = Worf
Vaarsuvius = Data
Durkon = Crusher
Mr. Scruffy = Spot
Blackwing = La Forge
Thor = the Enterprise
Nale = Lore
Tarquin = Q
Tsukiko = the Borg Queen
Tsukiko's wights = the Borg

t209
2012-04-28, 12:00 PM
Star WarsRoy = Luke
Elan = Han
Haley = Leia
Belkar = Yoda
Vaarsuvius = R2-D2
Durkon = Obi-Wan
Mr. Scruffy = Chewbacca
Blackwing = C-3PO
Xykon = the Emperor
Redcloak = Vader
Tsukiko = Tarkin
Nale = Jabba
Thog = Jabba's rancor
Zz'dtri = Bib Fortuna
Hinjo = Akbar
O-Chul = Lando
Lien = Nien Nunb
Niu = Wedge
Eugene = Owen
Dwarves = Ewoks (when the OOTS gets to Kraagor's Gate, we all know that short fuzzy guys will comically defeat a troop of Team Evil's most powerful undead)
Banjo = the Force

Elan = Troi
Haley = Riker
Belkar = Worf
Vaarsuvius = Data
Durkon = Crusher
Mr. Scruffy = Spot
Blackwing = La Forge
Thor = the Enterprise
Tarquin = Q
Tsukiko = the Borg Queen
Tsukiko's wight = the Borg
Pretty good. Can we move on to Othello and King Lear
Iago- Redcloak or Nale
Note: I put Elan for Othello since OOTS fans would be shocked if they see Roy smothering Celia to death.
2. King Lear
King Lear- Shojo
Three Daughters- Lien, Miko and Sangwaan.
or Ren
The old king- Shojo
Three Sons- O-chul, Hinjo and Thanh.

Winter
2012-04-28, 12:26 PM

Did you read the books or only saw the show? As for Game of Thrones (Book 1; Season 1 of the show) I agree. For the rest? No way in hell he's just CN.

Together with the Starks and a very few other exceptions in the book he's one of the few "good" characters. Check out his motivations for being Hand of the King and other things. And yes, there are a few taints, but his "general outlook" on the world if far from evil and generally far from neutral (especially check the times when he does have power can decide where things go).

Jaros
2012-04-28, 12:29 PM
Well, the TV show is just an adaption (with mostly minor alterations) of a book series, and the books have been out for years.
Is there some form of expiration date on spoilers?

There's no arbitrary expiration date, but there are still plenty of people who haveb't read it but may be planning to (I'm planning to start next week, after my last exam). Having said that, I don't know if what's behind those tags are spoiler-worthy, so it depends what you're talking about really. I've heard the series has a high mortality rate, so if it's major deaths 'n' stuff then yeah, keep the tags.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-28, 01:01 PM
1. 1980s cartoon (like Dungeons and Dragons or its parody (along with other 80s parody) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQmYF35w74)

Why am I only now finding out about this? That's awesome!!!:smallbiggrin:

bguy
2012-04-28, 03:38 PM
Just no. Tyrion is the smartest and most able of all characters in that book (in regard to mind). Did you read the books? What you saw in Season 1 of the TV Show is not what Tyrion is about.
There's no character like him in the OotS (very smart, very wise, bodily and magically totally unable + alignment:.

How about the Oracle for Tyrion. Intelligent, short, too mouthy for his own good.

No again, she's grown up, a very strong, finished character. Daenerys is nothing of that. Also she has enough power to be seen as the single person in the world to have nuclear bombs at her disposal.:

Maybe Celia for Daenerys. Magical powers, young and naive, despised by a good portion of the fandom :)

Acceptable, we just have to state Cersei is significantly dumber than Sabine.

Cersei really isn't that dumb. (And Sabine has never been shown to be that smart.) I think this is a pretty good pick.

I think this is acceptable. Both are very immature. Joeffry just is "Hellish Evil". I think a good comparision would be Joeffrey and Darth Vaarsuvius.

I think Nale fits better here. Or Samantha. Darth V was way too powerful to be a good match for Joeffry.

No. Robert is only about hammering living things, drinking, hunting, and screwing (that's why he was so successful at "becoming" king and so horrible at "being" king). That's not really fitting for a paladin-paragon. No, really.

Agreed, Hinjo is nothing like Robert. If we can include the gods then Thor is the best match for Robert.

Hell yes! This is spot on.

Tarquin is too much about being the man behind the man to be a good match for Tywin Lannister. Tywin wants everyone to know he is the real power in the land. Tarquin is closer to Littlefinger (except with actual combat skills) whereas I would say Tywin is closer to Kubota. Clever, arrogant, ruthless, and both get killed while taunting protagonists.

Armitage
2012-04-28, 03:57 PM
Did you read the books or only saw the show?
Yes, I read all the books up to and including ADWD.

As for Game of Thrones (Book 1; Season 1 of the show) I agree. For the rest? No way in hell he's just CN.
There goes the spoiler warning ;)

Together with the Starks and a very few other exceptions in the book he's one of the few "good" characters. Check out his motivations for being Hand of the King and other things. And yes, there are a few taints, but his "general outlook" on the world if far from evil and generally far from neutral (especially check the times when he does have power can decide where things go).
He is a positive character, but not a good one (good as in D&D alignment good).
Yes, he cares for 'cripples, bastards and broken things', to the point where helping them inconveniences him. But he thinks first and foremost of himself.
In ADWD he wants to support the Golden Company and later Danerys to get his revenge on Cersei. Not because he thinks the Targaryen are the rightful kings (at least he never gave any hint that this is what he's thinking), or because he wants to end the war in Westeros. No, he wants to bring more soldiers, more war, and more suffering to Westeros for his own interests.
That is not morally good in my book.

t209
2012-04-28, 04:11 PM
Cersei really isn't that dumb. (And Sabine has never been shown to be that smart.) I think this is a pretty good pick.

Tarquin is too much about being the man behind the man to be a good match for Tywin Lannister. Tywin wants everyone to know he is the real power in the land. Tarquin is closer to Littlefinger (except with actual combat skills) whereas I would say Tywin is closer to Kubota. Clever, arrogant, ruthless, and both get killed while taunting protagonists.

I picked Sabine because
Sabine is Nale's Girlfriend just like Jaime and Cersei. Plus we get to see how Elan will react to their "adventures".
I also consider about not trying to make Hollywood genetics (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodGenetics).

Winter
2012-04-28, 04:35 PM
There goes the spoiler warning ;)

It becomes fairly obvious during book 2, which is the current season. So it currently becomes "common knowledge".

Also, everyone who started to like the TV show had plenty of time to start reading the books - and book 2 has been out for years. I'm not taking a lot of regard for people who "care enough to be not spoilered but cannot be bothered to read the (better than the show) books". So yes, there goes the spoiler warning. :smallwink:

And let's not discuss his alignment in length, this is not really the place for it.
Also the example you gave with who is a rightful king is more a question of "lawful" anyway, not "good". And I think we can agree he surely is not Lawful.

t209
2012-04-28, 05:58 PM
It becomes fairly obvious during book 2, which is the current season. So it currently becomes "common knowledge".

Also, everyone who started to like the TV show had plenty of time to start reading the books - and book 2 has been out for years. I'm not taking a lot of regard for people who "care enough to be not spoilered but cannot be bothered to read the (better than the show) books". So yes, there goes the spoiler warning. :smallwink:

And let's not discuss his alignment in length, this is not really the place for it.
Also the example you gave with who is a rightful king is more a question of "lawful" anyway, not "good". And I think we can agree he surely is not Lawful.
Belkar could be Robert baratheon (even though it seems weird for him to hook him up with sabine).
Can we move on to other media (see above) other than Game of Thrones)?

Bulldog Psion
2012-04-28, 06:36 PM
The suggestion of Belkar as Yoda is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

"Stab you, I will, young Padawan, if give the cat tuna you do not ..."

Winter
2012-04-29, 02:53 AM
Can we move on to other media (see above) other than Game of Thrones)?

Well, you started it. :smallsmile:

Armitage
2012-04-29, 08:21 AM
You're preaching to the quire ;)

My point was that he is willing to plunge Westeros into another war/prolong the current war for his own selfish reasons, namely revenge. How can somebody who is willing to do that be called good?
Not to mention killing one's own father for selfish reasons or killing one's girlfriend or... Sorry, but Tyrion just isn't a good person.

t209
2012-04-29, 10:20 AM
Well, you started it. :smallsmile:

Well, I made this thread for. not only Game of Thrones, but as to other media.
What would OOTS be like in 1980s cartoon?
- OOTS and Holograms (or other bands genre)
- OOTS Dungeons and Dragons (D&D is kinda like OOTS before OOTS and internet).
- Or both (Like Harry Patridge Video).
Or Videogames
- Neverwinter Nights
- Dragon Age I and II
- JRPG (Tales of Revelia already done that).
Or other Shakespeare
- Othello (Roy as Othello and Celia as Desdemona)
- Mcbeth
- Richard III (Hinjo as Richard "MY kingdom for a direwolf")
- King Lear (Starring Shojo, Miko, Lien and Sangwaan.)
Note: Elderscrolls, Fable and Dark Soul is kinda "Solo Adventure".

Winter
2012-04-29, 10:25 AM
Give too many unspecific options and people will pick and focus on the one or two the like best. If you want a direction, at best suggest specific things to talk about instead of throwing general ideas out.

t209
2012-04-29, 09:47 PM
Can we make Hinjo as Jon Snow (Strange to see him as son of Thanh, who is cast as Ned Stark) or Jorah Mormont?
Who would fit in with Tyrion Lannister (Hank, Belkar or Kilkil)?
How about Bozzok, Katos, and Thieves guild?

B. Dandelion
2012-04-30, 05:30 AM
Hinjo's most likely a Stark. He's got the whole Honor Before Reason thing going for him AND a Big Badass Wolf, clearly. Jon or Robb both work pretty well IMO.

The character I think gets the closest to Shojo's masterful manipulation behind an unimposing front is Tyrion. Maybe Littlefinger if he weren't such an evil little smirking douchebag.

I'm gonna say Xykon is Euron Greyjoy. I don't think he's the Big Bad, but I don't think the Others analogy would pan out.

Redcloak as Stannis. There's one spoilerrific comparison I won't bring up, but I think they both are to a degree an underdog and they both hit kinda near that LN/LE border even if Redcloak's obviously over it already where people are still arguing about Stannis. Also the religious aspect.

Thanh - I wanna say Beric Dondarrion. A stick-in-the-mud version of Beric, but still the honorable rebel leader fighting for the oppressed in the name of the true king.

Winter
2012-04-30, 07:25 AM
Redcloak as Melisandre (yes, both colour as well as gender do not fit) isn't also too bad.

Both are struggling against "the powerful" to put in the will of their gods, both are very convinced to do the right thing, both are subtly manipulating as well as forcing things in the open, and for both it's not entirely clear if their goal is actually "good", but their means clearly are beyond any moral comment (as in "evil").

B. Dandelion
2012-04-30, 10:53 AM
Redcloak as Melisandre (yes, both colour as well as gender do not fit) isn't also too bad.

Both are struggling against "the powerful" to put in the will of their gods, both are very convinced to do the right thing, both are subtly manipulating as well as forcing things in the open, and for both it's not entirely clear if their goal is actually "good", but their means clearly are beyond any moral comment (as in "evil").

The color thing would work if you focused on the red aspect... even one of the titles mentions he's partial to it. :smallwink:

You could also say they played a role in their boss's ascension to power (via lichification and any number of things Mel's done), and both of them do (or in Redcloak's case, did) compete somewhat for their boss's ear with another, loyal underling who doesn't like or trust them.

t209
2012-05-01, 12:24 AM
Next, Shakespeare.
Who will be the cast in Othello?
Iago- Redcloak or Nale

fergo
2012-05-01, 06:37 AM
Star WarsRoy = Luke
Elan = Han
Haley = Leia
Belkar = Yoda
Vaarsuvius = R2-D2
Durkon = Obi-Wan
Mr. Scruffy = Chewbacca
Blackwing = C-3PO
Xykon = the Emperor
Redcloak = Vader
Tsukiko = Tarkin
Nale = Jabba
Thog = Jabba's rancor
Zz'dtri = Bib Fortuna
Hinjo = Akbar
O-Chul = Lando
Lien = Nien Nunb
Niu = Wedge
Eugene = Owen
Banjo = the Force

Fantastic :smallbiggrin:. But V. as R2-D2? The mind boggles :smallconfused:.

Winter
2012-05-01, 08:54 AM
Belkar = Yoda? Seriously? Those two have nothing in common besides their size and owning a cooking pot.

t209
2012-05-01, 08:57 AM
No, Obi Wan should be Julio and Durkon as Yoda (Wise dwarf, he is).

Bulldog Psion
2012-05-01, 10:02 AM
Belkar = Yoda? Seriously? Those two have nothing in common besides their size and owning a cooking pot.

Yes, seriously. Durkon as Yoda would be incredibly boring. Belkar as Yoda would be hilarious, and so far as I know, this is supposed to be funny, right?

Winter
2012-05-01, 10:37 AM
I think this is supposed to be funny - but not ridiculous.

t209
2012-05-01, 09:00 PM
On game of Thrones (OOTS edition),
Idiotic Elven Commander as Viserys Daenarys
Instead of blown to bits (www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0826.html) or "crowning" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_hZT_jl6lY&feature=related), how about Parthian Fashion (Pour molten gold in the throat). Qarr could be nice too (replaced with molten silver).

lorddrake
2012-05-02, 08:09 AM
I think MitD should be the Death Star... Since Xykon and RC are Emperor and Vader respectively...

t209
2012-05-03, 11:02 PM
I think MitD should be the Death Star... Since Xykon and RC are Emperor and Vader respectively...

So where will be its thermal exhaust point.

Winter
2012-05-04, 03:43 AM
Nowhere. One theory is he's just not not grown up yet, so he has to be the 2nd Death Star (without that dreaded thermal exhaust). This theory is perfectly in line with him "having a father that was very big" (and that would be the 1st Death Star; it could also "eat" entire planets).

t209
2012-05-04, 12:15 PM
DO you think O Chul should be Jonah Mormont or Gregor Clegane?

Winter
2012-05-04, 12:46 PM
DO you think O Chul should be Jonah Mormont or Gregor Clegane?

Some guy who sold slaves so he could finance his "I want to be rich" spoiled wife or some guy who's an outright psycopath? No to both.

Pairing Thog and Gregor isn't such a bad choice, even if Gregor is even much meaner than Thog (who is/was not actually mean, just murdering violent). Apart from stature, Belkar fits the spirit of Gregor Clegane quite well.

Jorah and Eugene isn't such a bad match. Both are somewhat Lawful, both actually do not want something bad to come to the people around them, both think they did mostly all right all the time, both think they were wronged and both are quite some hypocrites.

t209
2012-05-04, 01:12 PM
Game of Thrones cast (OOTS Version, so far).
Gregor Clegane- Thog
Jorah Mormont- Eugene Greenhilt
Jon Snow- Roy Greenhilt (or Hinjo)
Ned Stark- Thanh (both are lawful and dead) or Hinjo
Arya Stark- Niuh (To pair with Thanh) or Haley
Cercei Lannister- Sabine (to pair with Nale).
Jaime Lannister- Nale (to pair with Sabine).
Tywin Lannister- Kubota
Tyrion Lannister- Durkon (or shortened V)
Joffrey Lannister- Xykon (Chaotic Evil) or V (or Darth V)
Euron Greyjoy- Xykon
Daenary Targaryen- Celia
Visery Targaryen- Celia's Old boyfriend or Elven Commander.
"A crown for the king" and molten gold
Khal Drogo- Roy Greenhilt (Pair with celia)
Beric Dondarion- Thanh (Rebel)
Little Fingers- Tarquin
Robert Baratheon- Belkar or the Blood Empress (Eater too)

Fallbot
2012-05-04, 01:57 PM
Ned Stark- Thanh (both are lawful and dead) or Hinjo
Arya Stark- Niuh (To pair with Thanh) or Haley

...And I thought your Thanh/Niu shipping was concerning before :smalleek:

t209
2012-05-04, 02:34 PM
...And I thought your Thanh/Niu shipping was concerning before :smalleek:

Not shipping, kinda like Partners in Resistance and some thingy that has to do with seeing their friends (or relatives die) thingy.

Dr.Epic
2012-05-04, 02:55 PM
Order of the Stick Babies!:smallwink::smalltongue:

t209
2012-05-07, 09:54 PM
We need Roose Bolton, the eunuch spymaster and Dothrakis.

Valyrian
2012-05-08, 12:55 PM
Star WarsRoy = Luke
Elan = Han
Haley = Leia
Belkar = Yoda
Vaarsuvius = R2-D2
Durkon = Obi-Wan
Mr. Scruffy = Chewbacca
Blackwing = C-3PO
Xykon = the Emperor
Redcloak = Vader
Tsukiko = Tarkin
Nale = Jabba
Thog = Jabba's rancor
Zz'dtri = Bib Fortuna
Hinjo = Akbar
O-Chul = Lando
Lien = Nien Nunb
Niu = Wedge
Eugene = Owen
Banjo = the Force
I think Elan should be Luke. He better fits into the "farm boy becomes hero" mold, while Roy makes a little more sense as experienced rogue (I know you want to end up with a Elan+Haley pairing, but still).

Also, V should be C-3PO. He talks too much :smallwink:

Also, Nale = Boba Fett, Yoda = the Oracle and Lando = Julio Scoundrél imo.

Elan = Troi
Haley = Riker
Belkar = Worf
Vaarsuvius = Data
Durkon = Crusher
Mr. Scruffy = Spot
Blackwing = La Forge
Thor = the Enterprise
Nale = Lore
Tarquin = Q
Tsukiko = the Borg Queen
Tsukiko's wights = the Borg
I laughed at Elan and Haley's roles. So true. But I would use Zz'dtri as Lore, for at least minimum sense. Nale can be Lwaxana :smallbiggrin:

t209
2012-05-08, 03:57 PM
I think Elan should be Luke. He better fits into the "farm boy becomes hero" mold, while Roy makes a little more sense as experienced rogue (I know you want to end up with a Elan+Haley pairing, but still).

Also, V should be C-3PO. He talks too much :smallwink:

Also, Nale = Boba Fett, Yoda = the Oracle and Lando = Julio Scoundrél imo.

I laughed at Elan and Haley's roles. So true. But I would use Zz'dtri as Lore, for at least minimum sense. Nale can be Lwaxana :smallbiggrin:

I don't like Tarquin playing as Q, he's (Q) way too nice.
P.S- How would OOTS be like in Shadow Run (D&D with magic using native americans, guns, and internet)?

Winter
2012-05-09, 09:18 AM
P.S- How would OOTS be like in Shadow Run (D&D with magic using native americans, guns, and internet)?

Like some outdated projection of the 1980s into the future from a 1980s point of view that still was cool in the 1990s but that no one really can take serious today anymore as it really looks like a 1980s-future from the 1980s.

t209
2012-05-10, 05:41 PM
Like some outdated projection of the 1980s into the future from a 1980s point of view that still was cool in the 1990s but that no one really can take serious today anymore as it really looks like a 1980s-future from the 1980s.

I mean like V dual wield Uzi and magic.
Roy with heavy machinegun and heavy armor.
Durkon with gun
Haley being a hacker and a sniper rifle.
Belkar with sawnoff shotguns.
Elan having a pistol or revolver.

Valyrian
2012-05-10, 06:51 PM
If you think Q is a nice character, you should rewatch TNG. At least Tarquin cares about people.

t209
2012-05-10, 07:20 PM
If you think Q is a nice character, you should rewatch TNG. At least Tarquin cares about people.

Oh, I mistaken Q for Data.

zimmerwald1915
2012-05-11, 08:03 AM
At least Tarquin cares about people.
Whatever gave you that idea? The list of people Tarquin cares about is extremely short.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-05-11, 09:20 AM
Nale can be Lwaxana :smallbiggrin:

Shouldn't that be Roy's mother?

Debatable - as TNG progresses, Q becomes quite fond of Pickard - to the extent that he sets up a really sneaky defiance of the Q Continuum to prevent them from wiping out humanity. I agree that he is not exactly nice, but he is shown to care on occasions.

zimmerwald1915
2012-05-11, 10:55 AM
Look, I mistaken Q for the robot (Data) from Enterprise.
I am an android. But thank you for your interest.

lio45
2012-05-11, 05:36 PM
Actually, the best match by far for Joffrey would be the Empress of Blood.

I would support pairing Tyrion to V (both extremely smart, both too pragmatic to be either very Good or very Evil, both physically weak) or to Lord Shojo (same applies, although I believe Tyrion would be closer to V on the Good-Evil axis...?)

Roy - Jon Snow is a good match.

Xykon and Elan are two characters that I think have no GoT equivalents at all.

t209
2012-05-11, 08:20 PM
Roy - Jon Snow is a good match.

I think Hinjo would be nice for Jon Snow (Beard and wolf).
Elan could be a
comatose stark boy who saw Cercei (Sabine) and Jaime (Nale) having sex.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-05-12, 05:50 AM
Look, I mistaken Q for the robot (Data) from Enterprise.

And I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to Valyrian on his interpretation of Q. I even quoted the post...

Fallbot
2012-05-12, 08:48 AM
And I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to Valyrian on his interpretation of Q. I even quoted the post...

Dude, you can't just come strolling into threads and reference arbitrary media that have barely anything to do with the current topic of conversation. That's rude and disruptive.

Not sure if I should make this blue just in case. No offence, Manga Shoggoth

Kish
2012-05-12, 08:53 AM
Dude, you can't just come strolling into threads and reference completely irrelevant media that have nothing to do with whatever the OP's talking about. That's rude and disruptive.
Brilliant!

t209
2012-05-12, 08:59 AM

I deleted that post since I discover that I already made one (not the quoted one that you have).
Sorry about interruption.

Winter
2012-05-12, 09:04 AM

Xykon is easy. Some maniac who is only in for power and destruction and who is quite mad?

We have The Mountain That Rides, Sir Gregor Clegane.
We have The Mad King, King Aerys II (he was burning people for fun, that sounds about right for Xykon).
Don't try to tell me what Ramsey Bolton is doing with Theon Greyjoy was in any way different from what Xykon did with O-Chul.

And when it comes to "in for Power and Slaughter" you can line up a lot of the side-characters.

We just do not have mages but when looking at the character A Song of Ice and Fire has a lot of cadidates to chose from.

I'm somewhat agreeing on Elan, people like him do not survive long in that world.
Sansa Stark is the closest to Elan. Idealistic, naive, only wants everyone to be friends, having no clue what's going on, a head filled with hot air... no, I think Sansa is corresponding quite well to Elan.

Fallbot
2012-05-12, 09:12 AM
I'm somewhat agreeing on Elan, people like him do not survive long in that world.
Sansa Stark is the closest to Elan. Idealistic, naive, only wants everyone to be friends, having no clue what's going on, a head filled with hot air... no, I think Sansa is corresponding quite well to Elan.

That's a pretty good interpretation. They both see the world in terms of stories too, but while Elan's world really is made of heroic fantasy cliches that he can manipulate, things are a little different for poor Sansa.

lio45
2012-05-12, 04:53 PM
Xykon is easy. Some maniac who is only in for power and destruction and who is quite mad?

We have The Mountain That Rides, Sir Gregor Clegane.
We have The Mad King, King Aerys II (he was burning people for fun, that sounds about right for Xykon).
Don't try to tell me what Ramsey Bolton is doing with Theon Greyjoy was in any way different from what Xykon did with O-Chul.

The Mad King, sure... excellent choice... it's just that since we never see him, I didn't consider him part of the pool of characters, but why not. (I haven't read the books, only seen the show.)

Ser Gregor Clegane is more like Belkar... except he's a one-and-a-half-ling. ;)

Agreed as well.

Which do you think fits Tyrion best, Vaarsuvius or Lord Shojo?

And for Roy, which would be best, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, or Ned Stark? I think Robb Stark is the best fit for Roy, actually.

t209
2012-05-12, 05:05 PM
\

Which do you think fits Tyrion best, Vaarsuvius or Lord Shojo?

And for Roy, which would be best, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, or Ned Stark? I think Robb Stark is the best fit for Roy, actually.

For Tyrion, I think Lord Shojo (Even if he's tall and not womanizer).
Roy should be Robb Stark and Hinjo should be Ned Stark (Beard, young and wolf).

lio45
2012-05-12, 05:17 PM
For Tyrion, I think Lord Shojo (Even if he's tall and not womanizer).
Roy should be Robb Stark and Hinjo should be Ned Stark (Beard, young and wolf).

I know it's "your" thread, but personally, I think the character matches should be made mostly looking at the personality, behavior, and story role of the characters. Physical traits, while still something to consider, shouldn't weigh that much IMO.

For example, Elan would be better paired with Sensa (red-haired, female) than he'd be with Joffrey (blond, male), while Sensa wouldn't be a good match for Haley.

t209
2012-05-13, 09:08 AM
I know it's "your" thread, but personally, I think the character matches should be made mostly looking at the personality, behavior, and story role of the characters. Physical traits, while still something to consider, shouldn't weigh that much IMO.

For example, Elan would be better paired with Sensa (red-haired, female) than he'd be with Joffrey (blond, male), while Sensa wouldn't be a good match for Haley.

But V is not as manipulative and cunning as Tyrion. Shojo kinda fake his senility to fool the foolish and backstabbing court.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-05-13, 02:24 PM
I deleted that post since I discover that I already made one (not the quoted one that you have).
Sorry about interruption.

No worries - I only responded because it sounded like you were confusing me with Valyrian.

Dude, you can't just come strolling into threads and reference arbitrary media that have barely anything to do with the current topic of conversation. That's rude and disruptive.

Not sure if I should make this blue just in case. No offence, Manga Shoggoth

The initial response was to comparisons between Tarquin and Q for characterisation - how is this not on-topic for this thread?

t209
2012-05-13, 02:31 PM
No worries - I only responded because it sounded like you were confusing me with Valyrian.

The initial response was to comparisons between Tarquin and Q for characterisation - how is this not on-topic for this thread?

Wait, the post of interruption was against you? I thought it was about me. Now that's the greatest misunderstanding that I ever faced.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-05-13, 02:56 PM
Wait, the post of interruption was against you? I thought it was about me. Now that's the greatest misunderstanding that I ever faced.

Nope. I think Fallbot was trying to defend you against what he saw as a personal attack from me in my response at 11:50 yesterday. I was trying to keep the posting brief, so it probably read as being a little more aggressive than I intended.

I think I'll step back from this thread before things get heated. Besides, the comparisons seem to be drifting into Game of Thrones at the moment, and my knowledge of that series is nill.

Kish
2012-05-13, 06:07 PM
Nope. I think Fallbot was trying to defend you
You might want to check the white text. Just a thought.

Fallbot
2012-05-14, 04:23 AM
Nope. I think Fallbot was trying to defend you against what he saw as a personal attack from me in my response at 11:50 yesterday. I was trying to keep the posting brief, so it probably read as being a little more aggressive than I intended.

I think I'll step back from this thread before things get heated. Besides, the comparisons seem to be drifting into Game of Thrones at the moment, and my knowledge of that series is nill.

Definitely should have used blue text.

I was defending you dude, by subtly pointing out the irony of t209 objecting to you continuing to discuss media they had got bored of discussing in their thread specifically for media discussion, despite their being infamous for derailing other threads by bringing up irrelevant media seemingly at random everywhere else on the board. Like Kish says, check the white text.

(Also it’s ‘she’)

Manga Shoggoth
2012-05-14, 06:04 AM
Definitely should have used blue text.

I was defending you dude, by subtly pointing out the irony of t209 objecting to you continuing to discuss media they had got bored of discussing in their thread specifically for media discussion, despite their being infamous for derailing other threads by bringing up irrelevant media seemingly at random everywhere else on the board. Like Kish says, check the white text.

(Also it’s ‘she’)

Ah, my apologies - both for getting your gender wrong and misinterpreting your position. Likewise Kish.

Unfortunately, I would not have understood the point even if you had used blue text, since I don't know what that signifies... However, that's my problem - I expect people to work out when i am being ironic, so I should expect to do it myself...

martianmister
2012-05-14, 12:53 PM
Dragonlance

Tanis Half-Elven = Haley
Sturm Brightblade = Roy
Flint Fireforge = Durkon
Caramon Majere = MitD
Raistlin Majere = Vaarsuvius
Tasslehoff Burrfoot = Belkar :smalleek:
Goldmoon = Kazumi
Riverwind = Daigo
Kitiara = Tsukiko
Laurana = Elan
Gilthanas = Nale
Porthios = LG Kobolds
Silvara = Sabine
Solostaran = Tarquin
Alhana = Celia
Lorac = Horace
Ariakas = Redcloak
Ariakan = Redcloak's niece
Verminaard = Jirix
Lord Toede = Thog
Takhisis = Dark One (not the obvious choice :smallwink:)
Fizban = Blackwing
Paladine = Thor
Reorx = Loki (again, not the obvious choice)
Fistandantilus = Xykon
Chaos = Snarl
Dalamar = Pompey
Dark Elf = Zz'dtri
Crysania = Sangwaan
Elistan = Azure City's High Priest
Tika = Niu
Otis = Thanh
Derek = Miko
Lord Gunthar = Hinjo
Lord Alfred = O-Chul
Solamnian Knights = Sapphire Guard
Dragonarmies = Hobgoblins/Goblins, Dragons, Undeads, etc.
Theros Ironfield = Azure City Smith
Beren = Ian
Astinus = Oracle
Huma = Soon Kim
Magius = Dorukan
Kingpriest = Girard

MLP:FIM (Mostly based on early strips)

Twilight Sparkle = Vaarsuvius
Rainbow Dash = Belkar
Pinkie Pie = Elan
Rarity = Haley
Applejack = Roy
Fluttershy = Durkon
Spike = Blackwing

*Runs*

Fallbot
2012-05-14, 02:26 PM
Ah, my apologies - both for getting your gender wrong and misinterpreting your position. Likewise Kish.

Unfortunately, I would not have understood the point even if you had used blue text, since I don't know what that signifies... However, that's my problem - I expect people to work out when i am being ironic, so I should expect to do it myself...

No worries. With a male avatar and no gender displayed I can hardly get too mad when people get it wrong, and irony is infamously unreadable over the internet.

Anyway, I think my snideness has derailed the thread enough, and I don't know enough about MLP or Dragonlance to contribute to that discussion, so Game of Thrones it is!

How about Cersei for V? They're both obsessed with gaining power for power's sake and have no idea what to do with it once they achieve it, completely overestimate their own abilities, are willing to do vile things with the flimsy justification that they're doing it to protect their children, and expect the people they love to be around when they want them but shut up and get out of their way when they don't (thinking of Circei and Jaime's interactions in the later books).

t209
2012-05-14, 02:40 PM
No worries. With a male avatar and no gender displayed I can hardly get too mad when people get it wrong, and irony is infamously unreadable over the internet.

Anyway, I think my snideness has derailed the thread enough, and I don't know enough about MLP or Dragonlance to contribute to that discussion, so Game of Thrones it is!

How about Cersei for V? They're both obsessed with gaining power for power's sake and have no idea what to do with it once they achieve it, completely overestimate their own abilities, are willing to do vile things with the flimsy justification that they're doing it to protect their children, and expect the people they love to be around when they want them but shut up and get out of their way when they don't (thinking of Circei and Jaime's interactions in the later books).
uhhh, isn't their children
born from Jaime and who would be Jaime (Inkyrius is his/her mate but he (he got square bottom like OOTS males) is not strong or evil).

Fallbot
2012-05-14, 03:16 PM
uhhh, isn't their children
born from Jaime and who would be Jaime (Inkyrius is his/her mate but he (he got square bottom like OOTS males) is not strong or evil).

I'm thinking more in terms of the characters themselves. If we try to map relationships as well then the characters really don't line up at all. Game of Thrones and OotS just don't have enough in common to map to each other with any degree of fidelity. GoT is what OotS would be if every character was Kubota only even more of a jerk and the universe ran on FATAL rules rather than D&D. Ok, I exaggerate for comedic effect, but you get my point.

Also, if we're looking at the most superficial level, your suggestion of Nale and Sabine for Jaime and Cercei doesn't work because they're not related and don't have children. And Sabine isn't blonde, and Elan isn't a dwarf. And Nale isn't a great swordsman, and Sabine isn't Queen Regent of anywhere, and Jaime starts the series quite fond of his brother and...I could just go on and on. The only real connection is that they're all evil, and I'd debate that Jaime is necessarily that by the later books.

bguy
2012-05-14, 08:06 PM
Dragonlance
Tasslehoff Burrfoot = Belkar :smalleek:

Tas as a sociopathic mass murderer? :smallconfused:
Other than both being short they have nothing in common. Tas fits a lot better as Elan.

Kitiara = Tsukiko

Tsukiko is a little too naive and delusional to really work as Kit. Sabine is probably a closer match.

Laurana = Elan

Laurana is waaay too intelligent and capable to be Elan.

Gilthanas = Nale

Gilthanas as a sociopathic mass murderer? :smallconfused:
He is probably closest to Durkon of all people. Both are competent, largely overlooked by everyone, and had doomed romances. Hinjo would also work.

Silvara = Sabine

Silvara as a sociopathic mass murderer? :smallconfused:
Silvara fits better as Lirian. Both powerful women who fell in love outside their species and broke their Oaths for love.

Solostaran = Tarquin

Solostaran wasn't evil, wasn't a mastermind and wasn't particularily charismatic. He fits better as Eugene given his somewhat gruff personality and conflicts with his children.

Lorac = Horace

This could work, but given Lorac's belief that magic was all he needed to save Silvanesti, he probably works better as Eugene or Dorukan.

Ariakas = Redcloak

Ariakas was just about power for himself. He didn't believe in any higher cause. He would work as Tarquin.

Ariakan = Redcloak's niece

Now here is where we get Redcloak. Ariakan was extremly lawful and willing to do great evils in support of a supposedly higher cause.

Lord Toede = Thog

Toede had no real combat skills but did have a certain low cunning at politics. He fits Kubota better.

Lord Gunthar = Hinjo

Gunthar had a manipulative side to him. He actually works pretty well for Lord Shojo.

And to add a couple of others.

Bakaris = Nale. Both thugish pretty boys obsessed with revenge who are pawns of greater evils.

Feal-Thas = Leeky Windstaff.

t209
2012-05-14, 08:49 PM
I'm thinking more in terms of the characters themselves. If we try to map relationships as well then the characters really don't line up at all. Game of Thrones and OotS just don't have enough in common to map to each other with any degree of fidelity. GoT is what OotS would be if every character was Kubota only even more of a jerk and the universe ran on FATAL rules rather than D&D. Ok, I exaggerate for comedic effect, but you get my point.

Also, if we're looking at the most superficial level, your suggestion of Nale and Sabine for Jaime and Cercei doesn't work because they're not related and don't have children. And Sabine isn't blonde, and Elan isn't a dwarf. And Nale isn't a great swordsman, and Sabine isn't Queen Regent of anywhere, and Jaime starts the series quite fond of his brother and...I could just go on and on. The only real connection is that they're all evil, and I'd debate that Jaime is necessarily that by the later books.

I think you could ignore the relationship part since
Laertus is played by Miko while Ophelia (Laertus sister) is played by Celia.
Elan might not be a dwarf but mini Shojo will (Durkon's too nice, V's not too cunning, and Belkar's too evil).

Winter
2012-05-15, 10:09 AM
Regarding Dragonlance: Isn't Xykon a better fit for Raislin?

He's a super-powerful caster who has no problem to admit he's Evil and who's doing a lot of bad things just for his personal gain... this is somewhat a contrast to Vaarsuvius, who just wants power to... well... actually, Vaarusius does not have any reason why he wants to master magic beyond knowing it's "better than anything else".

Kish
2012-05-15, 10:25 AM
Raistlin's motivations were a lot more complex than personal gain. He has far too much depth to be Xykon.

(I'd also say he has too much depth to be Vaarsuvius, but that's...more debatable.)

Winter
2012-05-15, 11:55 AM
No, Vaarsuivus does not have much depth, even his latest turn of events.

Math_Mage
2012-05-15, 01:40 PM
Let me just point out that Shojo is a WAY better fit for Fizban than Blackwing is. And Girard is the exact opposite of the Kingpriest.

t209
2012-05-21, 04:33 PM
How will OOTS cast be in Walking Dead?
Rich Grimes, Carl Grimes, Lori Grimes, Glenn, The Dictator

Gift Jeraff
2012-05-27, 01:31 PM
Belkar = Yoda? Seriously? Those two have nothing in common besides their size and owning a cooking pot.Does Belkar have anything in common with the goose from Jack and the Beanstalk? The impression I got from the OP is that this an exercise of "If Rich made a StickTale version of X, who would be placed in what role?" not necessarily who is similar to who. However...
Yoda = the Oracle...I prefer this. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, more shoehorned parallels:

The MuppetsKermit = Roy
Fozzie = Elan
Animal = Belkar
Sam = Miko
Statler & Waldorf = demon-roaches
Sweetums = MitD
Thog (http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Thog) = Thog

King of the HillHank = Roy
Peggy = Celia
Bobby = Elan
Dale = Belkar
Bill = a flumph
John Redcorn = Julio Scoundrel

FireflyMal = Roy
Zoe = Haley
Wash = Elan
Jayne = Belkar
Simon = Blackwing
River = Vaarsuvius
Book = Durkon

Arrested DevelopmentMichael = Roy
Lindsay = Sabine
GOB = Girard Belkar
Maeby = Haley
Buster = MitD
Tobias = Nale
George, Sr. = Xykon
Lucille = Redcloak
Oscar = Skullsy
Franklin = Banjo
Wayne Jarvis = Miko
Barry Zuckerkorn = Rodriguez
Bob Loblaw = Jones
Kitty = Tsukiko

Kalrany
2012-05-29, 12:14 PM
Firefly
Mal = Roy
Zoe = Haley
Wash = Elan
Jayne = Belkar
Simon = Blackwing
River = Vaarsuvius
Book = Durkon

I haddn't thought of it before, but that is a near perfect mach-up. What about Inara though... Kaylee, too, really doesn't have a good fit.

t209
2012-05-29, 11:35 PM
I haddn't thought of it before, but that is a near perfect mach-up. What about Inara though... Kaylee, too, really doesn't have a good fit.

Is it okay to put Miko Miyazaki as the Operative (Therkla could be nice since
Operative redeemed himself after he discovers the peace poison on the ancestor of the reavers.)

Kalrany
2012-05-30, 10:14 AM
Is it okay to put Miko Miyazaki as the Operative (Therkla could be nice since
Operative redeemed himself after he discovers the peace poison on the ancestor of the reavers.)

Miko as the Operative could work well, though I am not sure that Operative redeemed himself as much as failed, knew he failed, and didn't see the point in continuing once the issue was over. I have a feeling that he had other things to worry about than a vendetta against the crew of the Serenity. Which, given that I don't think that Miko was redeemed either, makes it a very good choice too. :smallsmile:

t209
2012-05-31, 08:52 AM
How would Hobbit be like with OOTS Cast?
Bilbo- Elan (Belkar's too sadistic)
Gandalf- V or Drunk Azurite Wizard
Thorin Oakenshield- Tarquin
13 dwarves- Tarquin's old party, OOTS cast and Lien.
Wood Elf King- Elven Commander or Inkyrius
Bard- Hinjo
Were Bear Dude- O Chul (Badass) or Leeky Windstaff (Because he can change into bear)
Goblin King- Redcloak or Jirix or Goblin General
Ironically, it would be too unsettling to see Tarquin's character to apologize Bilbo.