PDA

View Full Version : Third Player for a Campaign

Gorfnod
2012-04-28, 09:08 AM
I have a new campaign starting tomorrow that will consist of two players and myself as a DMPC. I have played a number of DMPCs in the past and this will not be an issue for this group.

I just received final character backstories from the two players and am a little perplexed in what I should play. One character wants to play a warforged rogue and the other an elf ranger. I would like to note that the group generally plays around Tier 3.

So playground, what DMPC do you think would fit well in to this group without overshadowing the party?

As a sidenote, we are in the process of deciding whether or not the game will go standard 3.X or E6. We will make our final decision tomorrow morning so if this changes your response please post both answers. Thanks!!

Malachei
2012-04-28, 09:11 AM
Did they know you would be introducing a DMPC when they created their characters?

One possibility for giving the party a broader base is going Gestalt.

For you DMPC, I'd suggest the Healer class from miniatures handbook, or perhaps a Favored Soul.

Gorfnod
2012-04-28, 09:19 AM
They are aware of the DMPC and gestalt left somewhat of a bad taste in everyones mouth after a previous campaign.

Healer and Favored Soul are definetly solid choices for DMPC.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-04-28, 11:59 AM
I would recommend an Inspire Courage Bard. Focus on buffing the party, and make Them feel as though they are doing all the work. That way they are still a focus, but you are drastically improving their combat prowess without being the center of attention.

You can also be a flanking buddy for the rogue, being as that you should have the skill points for stealth should he need a buddy while scouting. He'll need it if the other character is being an archery ranger.

You can also be the face if the rogue is being a combat rogue... which presumably he/she is, since they are warforged.

Hopeless
2012-04-28, 01:51 PM
I have a new campaign starting tomorrow that will consist of two players and myself as a DMPC. I have played a number of DMPCs in the past and this will not be an issue for this group.

I just received final character backstories from the two players and am a little perplexed in what I should play. One character wants to play a warforged rogue and the other an elf ranger. I would like to note that the group generally plays around Tier 3.

So playground, what DMPC do you think would fit well in to this group without overshadowing the party?

As a sidenote, we are in the process of deciding whether or not the game will go standard 3.X or E6. We will make our final decision tomorrow morning so if this changes your response please post both answers. Thanks!!

Either a gnome cleric or a gnome sorceror with the option of multi-classing them so if they last long enough they can go Mystic Theurge unless you get another player removing the need for the dnpc.
Gnome so you can highlight he won't steal the limelight and class depends on what you think is needed, multi-classing means covering the bases but a bard might do just as well in the above case since they would all be stealthy and can run away from encounters without worrying you might be given them too much of an advantage and perhaps they'll work out the kinks with their roleplaying style as you progress in your games.

Gorfnod
2012-04-28, 03:32 PM
I am leaning towards Bard but am wondering, what Tier would you guys place a standard Theurge with no early entrance at all.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-04-28, 11:40 PM
I am leaning towards Bard but am wondering, what Tier would you guys place a standard Theurge with no early entrance at all.

thats difficult to gauge... Perhaps tier two? a THeurge has the versatility of spells, but loses out out on higher level spells that Cleric or Wizard would afford. TI is more difficult to optimize than a straight wizard or Cleric.