PDA

View Full Version : Stopping a melee monster

Kazyan
2012-04-28, 09:13 AM
...Geez, I keep having to ask the playground how to play. This is embarrassing.

One of our party members--we don't know yet, but it's probably our Token Evil rogue--just put on some cursed demon-possessed armor and is tearing through the town we're taking a vacation in. My cleric, being Good, is going to stop this. The problem is that I can't figure out how to keep him from dying horribly.

See, out-of-game, I know that the armor quintuples the user's physical ability scores, and since the character is a rogue with Uncanny Dodge, I can't rely on a spell with a Reflex or Fortitude save. The character's armor class might not be astronomical, but it's impractical to try to hit her, and HP damage is sort of out of the question because of 70+ Con. And if my cleric gets attacked once (melee), back-of-the-napkin calculation says he gets knocked down to single digits.

So, I need a Will save-or-lose spell of 5th level or lower on the cleric list, and it can't be Touch range. Do any of you know of a spell that meets these requirements? The only other idea I have is a weaponized Plane Shift, and that's unreliable.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-28, 09:24 AM
So.... How exactly does one get 70+ con, the power to decimate your health, and what does uncanny dodge have to do with Reflex/Fort saves? And aren't clerics prepared casters? What game is that even!?

Hold person is will btw. Break enchantment might rip the armor off. If this is 3.5.

Grinner
2012-04-28, 09:31 AM
Hold Person comes to mind immediately. Medium range, Will negates.

Only downsides are that the subject can attempt a new Will save each round, and it lasts only one round per level.

So follow up with Bestow Curse, and try to find an NPC to cast Crushing Despair. Then lay on additional castings.

Kazyan
2012-04-28, 09:34 AM
So.... How exactly does one get 70+ con, the power to decimate your health, and what does uncanny dodge have to do with Reflex/Fort saves? And aren't clerics prepared casters? What game is that even!?

Hold person is will btw. Break enchantment might rip the armor off. If this is 3.5.

The armor quintuples your physical stats. This makes the rogue, who was already a half-dragon, pretty unkillable.

Yes, prepared casters. This will be handled after the spells are prepared.

Hold Person will not work because the rogue is a half-dragon, but thank you.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-28, 09:38 AM
Thats... broken. The only item I've heard of even giving a multiplier is an artifact thats only attached to a god(Doubles his strength). Those stats would give dieties a run for their money.
Anyways, attack the item? break enchantment or antimagic field! Stuff like that.

Kazyan
2012-04-28, 09:41 AM
Thats... broken. The only item I've heard of even giving a multiplier is an artifact thats only attached to a god(Doubles his strength). Those stats would give dieties a run for their money.
Anyways, attack the item? break enchantment or antimagic field! Stuff like that.

Yes, I know. It was supposed to be a trap from a dungeon designed to TPK when someone put it on. We took it with us. :smallbiggrin:

Right, then. Break Enchantment, and if that doesn't work, Shatter. The DM might decide that there's no enchantment, since it's technically demon-possessed, and nonmagical items are valid to Shatter.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-28, 09:47 AM
I suggest you bind and maybe gag your dm and subject him to tickling of the feet if he does that.

Gray Mage
2012-04-28, 09:51 AM
Yes, I know. It was supposed to be a trap from a dungeon designed to TPK when someone put it on. We took it with us. :smallbiggrin:

Right, then. Break Enchantment, and if that doesn't work, Shatter. The DM might decide that there's no enchantment, since it's technically demon-possessed, and nonmagical items are valid to Shatter.

In that case Dismissal should work, right?

Kazyan
2012-04-28, 09:55 AM
In that case Dismissal should work, right?

I'll load up on that. Thank you.

SSGoW
2012-04-28, 10:03 AM
Pray... No Seriously pray to your god to stop this from happening.

Step One: Pray
Step Two: Evacuate the civilians
Step Three: Wait it out or run away
Step Four: Hire mercenaries to help kill said token evil rogue
Step Five: If 4 doesn't work ask your church to wish the armor was off... Then kill him/her?

I think there was a joke spells or something that made armor come off... Hmmm

The Crash Man
2012-04-28, 10:08 AM
I'd ask if Hold Person lets you try to Coup de Grace, but with his crazily jacked-up Constitution he'd probably survive that.

Wow. This seems like one bad situation. Maybe stranding him on another plane is the only way. Or warping him to the BBEG's house and hoping your friend will destroy him in a berserk rage.

Slipperychicken
Call up your God for help, maybe you can get some Divine Intervention to counter the demon armor. Get the local churches and Wizard guilds on your side, too. See if you can get the nature-types to use Entangle to slow him down. Use these casters for any spells not on your list. Glitterdust is another good debuff.

Solid Fog and a way to see through it will slow him down a bit while you land crowd control on him. Obviously, you'll be relying on your wizard buddies for this one.

Calm Emotions is a fun one, just make him chill out.

If you have UMD, get a wand or two of Ray of Stupidity (SpC, the one that deals Int damage, not a penalty), spam it until he's in a coma, then CDG until dead. Any mental stat damage will do the trick here. If you don't have UMD, get one of your wizard buddies to use it for you.

Be Greater Invisible and Flying. Without his massive Dex to AC, those rays can actually hit. And he probably can't take advantage of those ability scores out of melee.

That Rogue is using demon armor to rampage through the town. I think he's fair game for killing now, so don't worry about him dying horribly.

prufock
Not quite SoL, but Greater Command to "Take off that armor" could do the job.

If the armor is demon-possessed, will Dismissal get rid of it, or at least suppress it? The armor is not technically a creature, but the demon possessing it is. Maybe a Knowledge (Planes) check would let you know if this would work.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-28, 10:14 AM
I think there was a joke spells or something that made armor come off... Hmmm

Actually, there are several. Its an attack on the armor and not the person, or its a will save to command them to take it off. 3rd party material and alternate uses of command person, but we shouldn't bring these things up, implications and what not...

Slipperychicken
2012-04-28, 10:23 AM
I stand by Greater Invisibility (cast by wizard buddies, scroll, or wand) + Ray of Stupidity (wand), and further suggest that you scold your GM for making such a stupidly broken item. If you have trouble with UMD, use Guidance of the Avatar to boost it.

Since you're likely playing with a terrible GM who homebrews items like that, he will likely rule that your magic is "too weak" to break the armor or dismiss the possession. The armor may also have given the Rogue a host of immunities, which may or may not be homebrewed on the spot. If that starts happening, walk away from the table and never look back.

Kazyan
2012-04-28, 10:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions--prepared spells list is being built.

Slipperychicken: Tools, wonderful tools. I do have enough UMD to operate the wand, and Int is not the rogue's primary stat, so that should work. The broken armor actually isn't from homebrew, so the DM will probably not make it any more powerful than what it says it does in the first place.

And I'm not worried about the rogue dying--she's had it coming for a while now--I just don't want to get smacked.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-28, 10:39 AM
The broken armor actually isn't from homebrew

Just curious, do you know where it is from?

Kazyan
2012-04-28, 10:41 AM
Just curious, do you know where it is from?

Grimtooth's dungeon.

Jack_Simth
2012-04-28, 10:51 AM
So, I need a Will save-or-lose spell of 5th level or lower on the cleric list, and it can't be Touch range. Do any of you know of a spell that meets these requirements? The only other idea I have is a weaponized Plane Shift, and that's unreliable.Break Enchantment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/breakEnchantment.htm) (casting time is a pain, though, so be VERY careful), Greater Command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandGreater.htm), and Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) should probably be your go-to spells, here.

Randomguy
2012-04-28, 11:09 AM
You could try using divine power + spiritual weapon (prepare that spell a dozen times and spam it) from 100 feet away. Kill him with scratch damage. Get a mount, if you can, to stay far away, and see if you can get some kind of wind controlling spell to stop him from throwing things.

GreenSerpent
2012-04-28, 11:13 AM
... wow. That armour is so broken that I cannot believe it.

Well, the above post about being careful if the DM starts giving the rogue immunities applies. I'd suggest getting a spellcaster to cast Crushing Despair on him (and if possible Bestow Curse) then using Slay Living or spamming Poison on him.

WILL saves are your friends here. His physical stats will be through the roof, so FORT and RFLX saves will be very high. I'd suggest a Wand of Solid Fog, a Scroll of Freedom of Movement, and a Wand of Shivering Touch.

And if all else fails, go get a scroll of Disjunction.

marcielle
2012-04-28, 11:19 AM
Cast Protection from Evil on the Rogue?

Knightofvictory
2012-04-28, 11:30 AM

This! As a DM i would totally allow that as the armor is effectively dominating the Rogue, and really sounds evil. As a variant, Magic Circle vs Evil on yourself and just get near him.

Remove Curse should do it too, also 3rd level spell. Heck, that even has removing cursed armor listed in the description.

EDIT: To keep from getting killed in melee before casting, throw up a Sanctuary on yourself first. It's risky, he could technically pass his save, but if the armor does not improve his will that should be your best chance.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-28, 11:38 AM

Just have to get into melee without being spotted, get past the touch AC (invisibility?), and hope the DM lets it work.

Actually, even after the fight, if you found a way to keep the spell up all day (4,000gp custom item of continuous Protection from Evil, probably attached to the armor), one of your less-stupid/crazy party members you could wear and use the armor with impunity, thereby snapping the game cleanly in half.

Kazyan
2012-04-28, 12:09 PM
Okay. The plan is now to Ray of Stupidity the rogue into submission. If that doesn't work, Greater Invisibility + Remove Curse. If that doesn't work, Break Enchantment/Dispel magic + Shatter. If that doesn't work, army of debuffs and hope the local wizards can handle it.

Thanks, playground. This is part of why I hang out here.

Jack_Simth
2012-04-28, 12:20 PM
Just have to get into melee without being spotted, get past the touch AC (invisibility?), and hope the DM lets it work.So use the 3rd level version, Magic Circle Against Evil. Ten foot radius, 10 minutes/level. OP says they can do 5th level spells, so at least caster level 9, so that's 1.5 hours already. Extend in a 4th level slot for three hours per casting, and eight castings will get you through the day. Quite doable even without custom magic items, and Hallow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) will get an Instant area of it.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-28, 12:41 PM
So use the 3rd level version, Magic Circle Against Evil. Ten foot radius, 10 minutes/level. OP says they can do 5th level spells, so at least caster level 9, so that's 1.5 hours already. Extend in a 4th level slot for three hours per casting, and eight castings will get you through the day. Quite doable even without custom magic items, and Hallow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) will get an Instant area of it.

Wow, that's a good spell. Couldn't you just cast the Hallow on a really small birdhouse or cage, then carry it around with you for the benefit?