PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Becoming the Ultimate Master of the Undead

McToomin
2012-04-28, 02:29 PM
So, a friend of ours began a campaign recently that he's been mulling over for a while. Since he says it's going to be difficult, he's giving us a lot of lenience vis-a-vis character creation.

There are three players. At first, I was going to go Goliath Dragonborn Psychic Warrior (that thread was up recently). But then the DM himself proposed being a Dragonkin, dropping the RHD (and its associated abilities) but keeping ability modifiers and flight and everything else that comes with it for the scant +2 LA. So I was basically sold instantly. My intent was to be a melee powerhouse.

However, the other two players (my fiancee and our roommate) both also decided to be melee fighters. My fiancee went anthropormophic baleen whale cleric, while our roommate is going anthropomorphic monkey cleric into Sacred Fist. We're starting at level 3.

Looking at those choices, I decided that, as much as I wanted to teleport behind people as a psychic warrior and grow to (effective) Gargantuan size to smash them to pieces, it was really hard to pass up the anthropomorphic animal races, and it was also hard to forgo also being a cleric when both of the other players were going that route. "Go team cleric!"

So I changed everything about my character, he's not even remotely similar anymore. Now I'm an anthropormophic bat who is going to focus on rebuking, summoning, and controlling undead. I've never played a necromancer-like character before, so I was just hoping for some advice for my build. Here's what I have so far:

Drakky

Anthropormophic Bat

Cloistered Cleric 2 / Monk 1

True Neutral - worships Wee Jas

Small

5 ft. speed, fly 20 ft. (average)

Str 4
Dex 8
Con 12
Int 16
Wis 22
Cha 18
This is including the racial modifiers.

Fort +6
Ref +1
Will +13

HP 26

AC 15
Touch 15
Flat-footed 16

SKILLS
*IMPORTANT NOTE* We are using the 3.5 skill list, but PATHFINDER skill rules (meaning that ranks in a skill is a maximum of your level, and you gain a +3 bonus for class skills. The +3 bonus applies to qualifying for prestige classes.). The following includes ability modifiers as well.

Bluff +6
Concentration +6
Craft (Alchemy) +7
Diplomacy +10
Gather Information +5
Knowledge (Religion) +8
Knowledge (History) +7
Knowledge (Local) +7
Knowledge (Nature) +7
Knowledge (Undead) +7
Perform (Whistle) +7
Profession (Bookkeeper) +10
Profession (Herbalist) +10
Spellcraft +8
Spot +12

DOMAINS
Deathbound
Knowledge
Planning

FEATS
Flaw : Noncombatant
Flaw : Vulnerable
I know these seem like debilitating flaws, but I don't plan to ever participate in melee combat.

Flaw Bonus Feat : Augment Summoning
Flaw Bonus Feat : Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Planning Domain : Extend Spell
1st level : Iron Will
Monk 1 : Improved Unarmed Strike
Monk Bonus Feat : Toughness (Unearthed Arcana variant monk)

~~~

If you're wondering what the monk is doing there, I needed a class with a good Will save to qualify for Master of Shrouds by level 4 (monk also has the advantage of giving me Wis to unarmored AC, and since I won't be armored anyway (and Wis is my best stat), I see that as a pretty big positive).

I will also be taking Mystic Wanderer for at least 2 levels to get a divine stitched flesh familiar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041001a). Mystic Wanderer also adds Cha to AC, which is fantastic, seeing as how it's my second-best stat.

So right now my build order is looking like this:

1 -> Cloistered Cleric 1 : Augment Summong, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Extend Spell, Iron Will
2 -> Cloistered Cleric 2 : -
3 -> Monk 1 : Improved Unarmed Strike, Toughness, Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
4 -> Master of Shrouds 1 : -
5 -> Master of Shrouds 2 : -
6 -> Master of Shrouds 3 : ???
7 -> Master of Shrouds 4 : -
8 -> Mystic Wanderer 1 : -
9 -> Mystic Wanderer 2 : Stitched Flesh Familiar
10 -> Master of Shrouds 5 : -
11 -> Master of Shrouds 6 : -
12 -> Master of Shrouds 7 : ???
13 -> Master of Shrouds 8 : -
14 -> Master of Shrouds 9 : -
15 -> Master of Shrouds 10 : ???
16 -> ??? : -
17 -> ??? : -
18 -> ??? : ???
19 -> ??? : -
20 -> ??? : -

So yeah, like I said, I already qualify for Master of Shrouds and will begin taking it next level (level 4). I have all the qualification I need for Mystic Wandered except 8 ranks in Diplomacy, but as long as I put 1 rank in at the next two levels (or any time before 8), the requirements for that will be no problem.

My questions are,

1) is it worth it to take mystic wanderer any further than that, if I'm going for an undead-master build?

2) If not, are there any other prestige classes I could go into that would benefit this kind of build? I have read several necromancy guides but nothing jumped out at me.

3) What kinds of feats should I focus on now?

4) What kinds of items should I be grabbing when I have the money. Obviously, Cha-boosting items are #1 on my list (Cloak of Charisma, Ioun Stone). Anything else? I'm not all that familiar with Libris Mortis or any other kind of undead material).

Thanks in advance!