PDA

View Full Version : Buying Permanent Bonuses [3.5]

kulosle
2012-04-28, 04:19 PM
So I'm preparing for a campaign that I'm going to DM when I go back to my home town this summer. I want it to start at level 1 and the campaign would get to 10 at max, probably a little less. This is contradictory to most of our games that start at 10th level. I don't want this dramatic difference in power level to affect how people feel about the campaign so I've been trying to come up with a system of being able to train for feats, skill points, and other bonuses. You'd have to train with someone that had it and it would cost money and time. I was wondering if anyone else had this thought before and how it played out. You would still have to meet the prerequisite for the feat and you wouldn't be able to get some feats by training. Any ideas on how to flesh this out more?

Venusaur
2012-04-28, 04:56 PM
Complete Scoundrel has locations you can visit for feats. I think they are priced at 2,000 gp per feat, but only very specific feats are purchasable. I think that would be a good place to start.

kulosle
2012-04-28, 06:31 PM
I'm aware of those places mentioned in the complete scoundrel but they only have a few feats that no one really likes to begin with. Also it doesn't give me an idea of how much to charge for other feats that are over all better. Or should only lame feats that people take only to fill prerequisite be available to learn by training. Also how much should a skill point cost? I was also thinking of a bonus to saves attacks and attributes. Attribute increases will obviously be the hardest to get. It should definitely cost more than a magic item that gives it temporary, but less than the tomes because this also requires a lot of time to achieve?

Cespenar
2012-04-28, 06:40 PM
Find a magical item that gives a similar bonus to the thing you want, and double (or x2.5) the cost.

Or... a different wacky idea: Convert your gp to xp at a 5/1 rate, and that's it.

deuxhero
2012-04-28, 11:18 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4099.0

Lists all the officially priced feats.

Kerilstrasz
2012-04-29, 12:46 AM
Excuse me if im not understanding your thread well but...
DmG Pg 197 ??? that doesnt work for you?

also if any1 interested i homebrewed an Ability score training system
for my group and i ll be huppy to share it with you and get some feedback.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-04-29, 12:26 PM
there are certain spells that you can make permanent with the permanency spell... all they cost are money, so there you go. for example, darkvision spell from a scroll, plus permanency cots something like 5200 gp. Much cheaper than Goggles of Nightvision for 10k.

kulosle
2012-04-29, 03:20 PM
Excuse me if im not understanding your thread well but...
DmG Pg 197 ??? that doesnt work for you?

also if any1 interested i homebrewed an Ability score training system
for my group and i ll be huppy to share it with you and get some feedback.

I mean training skills and feats and gain them outside of normal level up. That is a good idea for how much time it takes to train feats and skills but that is it.

And i'd love to see your ability score training system.

And the problem with the permanency price is that it doesn't work in an anti magic zone. I do want thinks to cost more than their magical item counter part. Well some of them any ways. Awareness shouldn't cost 10,000. Some were said that the price should increase for each prerequisite. I like the idea of that.

Another question, Whats to stop PCs from training each other to get lots of extra feats for free?

deuxhero
2012-04-30, 02:44 PM
Well, one of the PCs would have to have the feat in the first place, and down time.

You could always take it out of the WBL.

XionUnborn01
2012-04-30, 03:21 PM
There's always the gentleman's agreement that they aren't going to train each other. Otherwise you could say they have to have 'mastered' the feat, saying that mastering a feat takes two levels of having it? or actual in game time of like one year. Something to that effect. Because if you're paying someone to train you they are going to be very skilled in whatever that area is so you can assume they've been skilled for a long time and have worked hard for it.

kulosle
2012-04-30, 03:58 PM
I didn't think about taking it out of WBL that's a good idea.
I was also thinking of making there be a feat or skill requirement or both.

Yeah, gentlemen's agreement also sounds reasonable. I kind of like the idea of the players being able to train each other some I just don't want them to abuse it.

kulosle
2012-05-01, 04:51 AM
So here are the things I want people to be able to train: Attributes, skill ranks (still capped), base saves, base attack bonus, and feats. Feats I have figured out its everything else I'm unsure about. Now they should cost more for higher levels but whats a good cost. I want everyone to have access to this mechanic but the game is only going to level 10. So think of the WBL. It should be some kind of system that scales really well. So that a bonus always takes up about the same percentage of the WBL. Anyone really good with math?