PDA

View Full Version : 4E Succubus Paladin

Tegu8788
2012-04-28, 05:37 PM
So, I've just run across this article, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) and I thought that it could be a really fun character to play. I'm fully aware of how much weaker monster races are because they lack support, and there are no actual restrictions for an evil character to be a paladin.

As someone that only has played this edition, I can't really grok most of the stat sheet. Does anyone more familiar with DnD have any suggestions how to get the kind of mechanics in 4E? The paladin class is the most obvious choice to me, but what else?

Edit:Corrections.

Zaq
2012-04-28, 05:40 PM
The same rules apply here as to every attempt to translate a character from one edition to another. Sit down and enumerate, specifically and in detail, what you want out of the character. What mechanical abilities do you think are critical to the character? What mechanical abilities would be nice, but aren't critical? What fluff do you need, and how closely will you demand it to stick to the crunch? That sort of thing. Figure out what you really need the character to do, then go from there.

Kurald Galain
2012-04-28, 05:47 PM
Grog is a drink.

Did you mean grok?

Tegu8788
2012-04-28, 05:54 PM
The idea of fighting against your inner nature. The Ascended Demon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AscendedDemon) is a very cool character. Mechanically, the standard Paladin defensive, protection, divine power, all are important. From the racial side of things, the seduction and debuffing are what I want, shapeshifting would also be nice.

As I said, I'm not the most familiar so I can't read and understand the implications nor do I know what all the powers actually do in the spell list.

Edit: Yes I did, iPhone auto-incorrect.

DeltaEmil
2012-04-28, 06:40 PM
To emulate Eludecia best, I suggest taking the Deva race (immortal humanoid detailed in Player's Handbook 2), using either the infernal slave theme (in The Book of Vile Darkness 4th edition - Player's Book) or the athasian minstrel theme (in Dark Sun Campaign Setting) or perhaps even a DDI-article theme that can be best refluffed for a devilish theme, and then use either the paladin, cavalier or blackguard class.

Surrealistik
2012-04-28, 07:31 PM
Getting down the succubus race is as easy as taking the Tiefling race, swapping Infernal Wrath for the Changling's Disguise racial power, and adding the shapeshifter, immortal and devil keywords.

Reluctance
2012-04-30, 06:15 AM
The biggest disconnect is that 4e lacks support for inherently powerful races. 3.5 does them poorly, but at least the option is there. Being a PC succubus in 3.5 does eat up 12 levels, leaving you halfway through your expected career before you can pick up a class with little in the way of synergy. (Succubi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#succubus) are mostly about skill bonuses and powers that enhance stealth. Paladins are a full BAB, heavily armored class.)

If you want to start out dark, Tieflings are the go-to race. Devas with an appropriate twist can work too. Starting as a full-on celestial being (remembering that 4e angels are under no obligation to be Good) takes appreciable refluffing/homebrewing/looking the other way.

Tegu8788
2012-04-30, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like there won't be an easy RAW answer, which is what I expected. Does anyone have an idea for the draining power? You don't lose levels anymore, but a healing surge and a debuff to stats would sound right. Any chance a MC feat has that kind of power eh?

Reluctance
2012-04-30, 07:23 AM
Debuff to stats is a 4e no-no. You want to be careful changing associated scores mid-combat. Having to adjust your defenses, attacks, surges, etc. after every attack is why AD&D level drain gave way to negative levels long ago. Enemies having/using surges is similarly something that's shied away from.

The 4e succubus, FWIW, doesn't have a draining power. She'll mess with your head and make you her bodyguard, but won't leave you a withered husk. If you want the draining theme, there are enough ways to add vampire flavor that it's become something of a joke. That's not something that carries from the existing monster, though.

My first instinct is to go a Tiefling Cha-based Paladin with the Warlock MC feat. Chaladins tend to be based more on blasts of holy energy than being a righteous warrior, though. As with all 3 => 4 translations, you have to explain what elements of the character are important and what can be cut. Perfect translations between editions are impossible.

Cyphrus
2012-04-30, 09:27 AM
Well, I know this might not be perfect, but I thought it might kinda fit the theme. She's trying to make better of herself, while still making use of her naturally charming talents.

Redeemed Succubus, level 1
Tiefling, Wizard|Paladin
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 20 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 15
HP: 30 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +9, Diplomacy +9, Arcana +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -4, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance -4, Heal -1, History +4, Insight -1, Intimidate +4, Nature -1, Perception -1, Stealth -2, Streetwise +4, Thievery -4, Athletics -3

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Hypnotism
Hybrid encounter 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Hybrid daily 1: Majestic Halo

ITEMS
Plate Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Longsword, Heavy Shield