PDA

View Full Version : From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft OOC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jeff the Green
2012-04-28, 06:17 PM
From Across the Multiverse to Barovia:
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rl_gallery/100549.jpg

Characters:
{table=head]Player|Character|World|Race/Class
al'Lan Mandragoran|Arya Skye (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=392015)|Far Plains|Catfolk Knight/Swordsage
Fireheart|T'rissaste Xorlarrin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=391911)|Forgotten Realms|Drow Scout/Ranger
Mahrke|Isaac Pellivander (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=391905)|Earth (Shadowrun)|Human Chronomancer (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mDL6oVkpiTNyjmr3OvN8V1NIqJ8uyUdcWMcSsXOreCM/edit)
The Fallen One|Aswin Vigunnarson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=392225)|Earth (Norse)|Goliath Harmonious Knight of Freedom
Sallera|August (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=59167)|Earth (European Fairy Tale)|Aasimar Shadowcaster
Lateral|Mireann nic CiarŠn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=525427)|Earth (Mythological Irish)|Dark Human Evolutionist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13115715)
[/table]

Retired Characters:
{table=head]Player|Character|World|Race/Class|Fate
candycorn|Kuni Komori (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=431483)|Rokugan|Water Shugenja|Driven insane, NPCd, disappeared.
Stack|Arthros Silvereye (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=34341)|Eberron|Aasimar Healer|Dead, zombified, teleported home.[/table]

Misc. Lists and Resources:

Initiative Table
{table=head]Character|Initiative
Arya|1d20+5
T'riss|1d20+11
Isaac|1d20+1
Aswin|1d20
August|1d20+2
Annan|1d20+3
Baddies|1d20+n[/table]

Spot/Listen Table
{table=head]Character|Spot|Listen
Arya (LLV)|1d20+2|1d20+6
T'riss (DV 120)|1d20+11|1d20+11
Isaac|1d20+2|1d20+2
Aswin|1d20+3|1d20+3
Drifa (LLV)|1d20+7|1d20+7
August (DV 90)|1d20+16|1d20+2
Annan (DV 60, pierces magical)|1d20+6|1d20+5
Ashlyn|1d20+2|1d20+2
Ireena|1d20+3|1d20+3[/table]

Immediate action standing orders:
{table=head]Character|Condition|Action
Isaac|Any enemy uses any non-seeking projectile-like spell, Su, or SLA of 2nd-level or higher on an ally|Manifest delay[/table]

Experience
{table=head]Encounter|EXP
(Initial)|15,000
First zombies in village|425
Second zombies in village|450
Rescuing villagers in town square|1007
Zombies in house|450
Danovich in the church|1200
Oni|630
Shades at the crossroads|1198
Fortunes of Ravenloft|300
Finding the sunsword|900
Lysaga approach|3616
Total|25,176[/table]

NPCs
{table=head]Name|Description
Ashlyn|Palatine of Sol Invictus, from Richemulot.
Ireena Kolyichna|Daughter of the former Burgomaster, sister of Ismark, apparently stalked by Strahd.
Count Strahd von Zarovich|Count of Barovia.
Ismark Kolyavich|Son of the former Burgomaster, apparent informal leader of Barovia.
Nicolae|Old man, father of Ioana, maker of bone ravens.
Ioana|Young woman, daughter of Nicolae.
Arik|Bartender and proprietor of the the Blood of the Vine tavern.
Bildrath|Owner of Bildrath's mercantile.
Parriwimple|Bildrath's somewhat slow nephew.
Danovich|Former priest of Barovia's village, went insane and created a Blaspheme from his son's corpse, thereby causing the plague of zombies. Dead.
Doru|Danovich's son, raised to unlife by his father. Dead, now destroyed.
Arthros|Healer from Eberron. Dead, zombified, teleported back home.
Kuni Komori|Water shugenja from the Crab clan.
Madam Eva|A seeress or fortune teller. Apparently associated with the Vistani.
[/table]

Incantations Found
Create Blaspheme
Necromancy [evil]
Effective Level: 6th
Skill CheckKnowledge (religion) DC 21, 6 successes
Failure: Death
Components: V, S, M, F, B
Casting Time: 1 week
Range: Touch
Target: One corpse
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; see text
Spell Resistance: No

You raise a close family member (a mother, father, brother, sister, son, or daughter) to a mockery of life as a blaspheme (LM p. 85). They retain some semblance of their personality and memories, but their Intelligence is extremely limited and they are unspeakably evil, delighting in petty cruelties and hungering for the flesh of the living.

In addition, all corpses within 500 ft. at the completion of the incantation rise as infected zombies (EtCR p. 32) or infected skeletons (EtCR p. 43). Every living creature within 500 ft. must make a DC 13 Fortitude saving throw or contract the necromantic infection. All infected zombies and infected skeletons produced by this incantation or by contracting the necromantic infection initiated by this disease is instantly destroyed as soon as the blaspheme is, and all living creatures with the necromantic infection are cured of it 6 rounds after the blaspheme's destruction.

Failure
The caster dies instantly and rises as an infected zombie 1d4 rounds later.

Backlash Component
The caster's depravity and corruption each increase by 10.

Material Component
Gems worth 15,000 GP.

Focus
A bell worth 500 GP and a chalice worth 1000 GP, both made from silver obtained from holy relics blighted in unholy rites.

Control Spell Resistance
Transmutation
Effective Level: 4th
Skill CheckKnowledge (religion) DC 30, 4 successes
Failure: Wild resistance
Components: V, S, B
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: Willing creature with spell resistance touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None

The target gains the ability to raise or lower their spell resistance as a free action once per round on their turn. Once so raised or lowered, it remains raised or lowered until they decide to change it.

Failure
The target has a 50% chance each of having their spell resistance lowered to 0 or increased by 10 for 24 hours. This incantation cannot be attempted on this creature again until this effect wears off.

Backlash Component
The caster is exhausted for 1d6 hours.

Mahrke
2012-04-28, 06:32 PM
Party Loot:

+1 Bastard Sword (Sunsword)
+2 Greatsword
+1 Chainmail
Belt of Growth (Once per day CL 10 Enlarge Person that affects any creature type.)

A scroll of Circle of Death
A skull talisman (potion) of Death Armor
x2 Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
Potion of Lesser Restoration

Masterwork Halfplate
20 Silver Arrows

Libre Blasphemenum
Journal

Create Blaspheme
Necromancy [evil]
Effective Level: 6th
Skill CheckKnowledge (religion) DC 21, 6 successes
Failure: Death
Components: V, S, M, F, B
Casting Time: 1 week
Target: One corpse
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; see text

You raise a close family member (a mother, father, brother, sister, son, or daughter) to a mockery of life as a blaspheme (LM p. 85). They retain some semblance of their personality and memories, but their Intelligence is extremely limited and they are unspeakably evil, delighting in petty cruelties and hungering for the flesh of the living.

In addition, all corpses within 500 ft. at the completion of the incantation rise as infected zombies (EtCR p. 32) or infected skeletons (EtCR p. 43). Every living creature within 500 ft. must make a DC 13 Fortitude saving throw or contract the necromantic infection. All infected zombies and infected skeletons produced by this incantation or by contracting the necromantic infection initiated by this disease is instantly destroyed as soon as the blaspheme is, and all living creatures with the necromantic infection are cured of it 6 rounds after the blaspheme's destruction.

Failure
The caster dies instantly and rises as an infected zombie 1d4 rounds later.

Backlash Component
The caster's depravity and corruption each increase by 10.

Material Component
Gems worth 15,000 GP.

Focus
A bell worth 500 GP and a chalice worth 1000 GP, both made from silver obtained from holy relics blighted in unholy rites.

Control Spell Resistance
Transmutation
Effective Level: 4th
Skill CheckKnowledge (arcana) DC 30, 4 successes
Failure: Wild resistance
Components: V, S, B
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: Willing creature with spell resistance touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None

The target gains the ability to raise or lower their spell resistance as a free action once per round on their turn. Once so raised or lowered, it remains raised or lowered until they decide to change it.

Failure
The target has a 50% chance each of having their spell resistance lowered to 0 or increased by 10 for 24 hours. This incantation cannot be attempted on this creature again until this effect wears off.

Backlash Component
The caster is exhausted for 1d6 hours.

Compiling info on the prophecy for easy reference.

The Devil (Count Strahd)
"The Devil," she says, indicating the first card, "is the ruler of Barovia, Count Strahd von Zarovich. He dwells in Castle Ravenloft, his enemies light and powers beyond mortality. You must seek him in the castle, and though he may find you many times, you will find him but once." From the remainder of her deck she draws one card and places it over the Devil, a man leaning on one of three staves thrust into the ground. "You will find him in the place where the officers of an ancient king once sat, upholding him from below. But woe to you if you do, for there the powers of death will strip away your protections." She draws another card, which she places across the Devil: a man engraving seven gilt shields with the sign of a pentacle. When she sees it, Madam Eva sucks in a breath. "The darkness seeks to consume all light, and death to devour all warmth from the living.

-

She points to the Devil. "Look beneath the main floor of the castle, in a place of shadow and despair. I would recommend haste, for the lord seeks a lady, but will consume her until death is all that remains." She looks pointedly at Ireena, who blanches and trembles slightly.

The Sun (Blade of Light)
"The Sun," she continues, "is a weapon of light, a blade of vengeance. You, palatine, I believe are familiar with it. It was brought to Barovia long ago, and then lost." She covers the sun with another card, this one a lady in a garden tending a bush that bears nine gold fruits, each with a pentacle on it. "Seek it in the place of holiness, where the humans seek the sky." Again she takes a card and crosses the sun. Eight staves, hurtling from earth from heaven. "The sun sleeps, however. To awaken it, bring it to the dizzying height that all loathe to climb.

-

"The Nine of Stars," she says, pointing to the card covering the Sun, "is a card of aspiration and religion. The weapon should be in the village church, perhaps in its most exalted place. The dizzying height that the Eight of Wands speaks of is the castle's highest tower, where the road winds ever upward, may yet pierce the clouds that shroud the sun.

The High Priestess (Holy Symbol of Ravenkind)
"Now, the High Priestess is the holy symbol stolen from you, my child. The raven is a most ancient symbol, from before the people of Barovia worshipped the light. The symbol is a powerful force for good and protection
against the forces of darkness." She covers the High Priestess with a card bearing a man who carries five swords, with two more thrust into the ground. "You must seek it in the place of blasphemy, where humans plumb their darkest nature." Now she crosses it, with a widow in her weeds at a river, five golden cups at her feet. "The holiness in this item waits for hands of holiness to touch it once again, but that is not enough to bring its power back to life. You must bring the symbol to join the ancient lore of the castle.

-

"This card," she says, pointing to the Seven of Sword that covers the High Priestess, "is one of debasement and debauchery. The symbol has been brought low, to the hill where the witches gather. To awaken it, you must bring it to the castle's library, a place of wisdom, warmth, and despair."

The Emperor (Tome of Strahd)
"The Emperor is Strahd as he was, and the knowledge he has put forth in a book known as the Tome of Strahd. Seek this, for it holds knowledge of the ancient and knowledge of the land." She covers the Emperor with a man sitting weeping in his bed with nine swords upon his wall. "Though it is a mockery of all that is holy, the tome lies in a place of holiness, or former holiness." Madam Eva then crosses the Emperor with a card bearing four staves driven into the ground and bearing aloft a canopy of vines and flowers. "If you find the tome and delve into its secrets, you will discover the source of the lordís strength. If you read it carefully, you may also discover how to rob him of that strength. Strip that strength away from him and make it your own. You must find the three defiled places described in the tome. At each one, keep a vigil through the night and make its power yours."

-

"The Tome of Strahd can be found in the Castle as well. There is a chapel on the castle grounds, polluted by the tomeís presence, and you will find it there."

The Reaper (The Plague)
Finally, Madam Eva turns to the reaper. "Death represents the death that walks the streets of Barovia. Death leads to death, all stemming from a first death." She covers Death with a card bearing a king with four shields, each emblazoned with a pentacle, and a great halo of light above his head with the same symbol. "You put an end to the blasphemy of the death that refused to die, but that will not stop the plague. The lord of the castle is the source of all." She draws another card to cross Death, this one a page sitting on a bench with folded arms, and behind him nine cups arrayed on a table. "The village church was desecrated by the first blasphemy. The castle is ruled by the greater one."

Sallera
2012-04-28, 07:04 PM
Ehehe. This is going to be a wonderful first meeting. Now, the question is, is Aswin going to start convincing some of us that we're dead, or will it go the other way around?

Anyway, August shall take Dark Slate Blue, as I usually do. No plans for PrCing or multiclassing, unless something happens in-game to really shake August's philosophy... in which case everything will probably have set itself up anyway.

Fireheart
2012-04-28, 07:08 PM
I'll stick w/ DeepSkyBlue. It seems to work for me.

I'll edit this to answer the rest of the questions...after my IRL game.

~Fireheart

stack
2012-04-28, 07:15 PM
Dark red for Arthros. He'll be elbow-deep in blood healing all your wounds, so it fits.

Edit: If you want to use dungeongrapher, I've made many of the maps (all the in town ones that my party needed, though I cheated on one and recycled) and will do more as I go.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-28, 07:30 PM
So many 'A' names! This will be odd, an oxford professor meeting a Cat-human that thinks she's a knight (and is actually).
Red will be her chosen colour for speech.

Jeff the Green
2012-04-28, 10:45 PM
Also, questions:

(1) Will we be playing in real time at any point? As in, over Skype, RPTools, or what-have-you.

(2) How will you display a map-grid? Will it just be a chess table overlaying a map picture?

1) Probably not. We have players from around the world (both coasts of the US, Germany, and Oop North, that people have on their profiles) and I have a kind of funky schedule. I imagine a few of you guys do too; that's (one of the reasons) why we play PBP.

2) I think I'm going to use Dungeonographer, especially since Stack has offered to share his maps. (Thanks Stack!) I'll make changes to them as necessary/make new ones, then post them here. They look like this (http://www.dungeonographer.com/samples/).

(1) I had my psicrystal take feats. This is a point of contention among rules-readers, so its something you should take a look at and make a decision on.

Hmmm. I think it's probably not intended that they be able to, but RAW they can and I don't think it'll be a huge problem, with one caveat: if they realize that it's a big asset, your enemies will target it. That's not a huge problem when you're fighting mindless undead, but everything else is going to. There aren't any rules about reforming a psicrystal, so we'll port over the familiar rules (minus the ridiculous year and a day; it's a week or a full day of meditation).

If you want to use dungeongrapher, I've made many of the maps (all the in town ones that my party needed, though I cheated on one and recycled) and will do more as I go.
That would be great (especially if you have the .dgo files that I could edit)! It's up to you how you want to get them to me; I can PM you my email address or depending on their size you could upload them somewhere in a .zip or .rar.

So many 'A' names!
:smalleek: I did not realize that. Oh well, it'll make me feel at home; both of my brothers and a full third of my extended family has names starting with 'J'.

Also a question for you, al'Lan, as I'm writing the first IC post: I know it didn't come with you, but would you have been on a horse when you were pulled into Ravenloft? What about the other knights?

TheFallenOne
2012-04-29, 06:11 AM
I'll make a dip into Pious Templar, and I might get into Knight of the Raven later on. I don't have the book available so I don't know the fluff, but something linked to ravens is likely a nice fit for Norse mythology.

Ehehe. This is going to be a wonderful first meeting. Now, the question is, is Aswin going to start convincing some of us that we're dead, or will it go the other way around?

I'm so looking forward to that. His first words will be "Huh... It's darker than I expected." Everyone clueless where they are and Aswin convinced it's Valhalla.... So many ways for this to play out, all of them amusing.

He should arrive without Drifa I think and then call her soon after the initial confusion.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-29, 06:39 AM
Also a question for you, al'Lan, as I'm writing the first IC post: I know it didn't come with you, but would you have been on a horse when you were pulled into Ravenloft? What about the other knights?

Nope no horses. Cat-folk aren't traditional knights really.

Jeff the Green
2012-04-29, 09:54 AM
Here's the fluff for Knight of the Raven:

Before evil descended on the land of Barovia, it was home to an order of virtuous champions, the Knights of the Raven. United under the symbol of the raven, they set aside differences of religion and political allegiance in their quest to fight evil wherever it appeared. They prospered for centuries before the appearance of Strahd in their land, but now they are practically extinct. Despite the orderís fierce opposition to the undead, one knight of the raven yet lingers as a benign spirit in the halls of Castle Ravenloft, while rumors persist in the village of Barovia that at least one knight still hides in the Svalich Woods or the steep slopes of the Balinok Mountains.
There's a requirement that you a) meet a KotR on friendly terms and b) spend an overnight vigil in the Chapel of Ravenloft. As I told Cardea in the recruitment thread, this normally involves a >12 EL encounter and so you wouldn't be able to progress very far in the class before the end of the module, but if you spend significant in-character resources (time & roleplaying) you can mitigate or avoid it.

Edit: Okay, another question. Mostly directed to Fireheart, but anyone who knows can answer. What monsters would one encounter in the Hills of the Dead Kings? I'm not familiar enough with southern Faerun, and my Google-fu is failing me.

Fireheart
2012-04-29, 10:47 AM
@Jeff,

Shining South has the following creatures.

Mantimera (cousins of Chimeras)
Behirs
Dragons
Cyclops/Giants
Bandits
Gnolls
Lizardfolk
nagas
and....drow. :)

I'm still not sure about a prestige class. I'll try to look through books and see if something jobs out at me...otherwise for now, she'll just progress ranger or scout.

~Fireheart

TheFallenOne
2012-04-29, 11:10 AM
Hill giants seem to be the biggest danger in the Hills of the Dead Kings. (http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/dambrath/index.shtml) That's from the sourcebook Shining South. Page 108 lists various monsters common in Dambrath, Fireheart already listed most of them.

Jeff the Green
2012-04-29, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Fireheart and TFO.

I've gone over character sheets in more detail. Here are comments and problems.

al'Lan Mandragoran: Good.
Stack: Good.
Fireheart: Did you take ranger or scout 1st level? If scout, you don't qualify for Weapon Finesse at 1st. If ranger, I'd recommend switching to scout and swapping your 1st and 3rd level feats for those extra 6 skill points.
Mahrke: Where is Endowed Mind from? I can't find it.
The Fallen One: Good
Sallera: It's entirely possible I've got this wrong since I've never played a shadowcaster, but I think you have too many feats. 2 from flaws + 3 from levels + 1 from completing the Dark Terrain path = 6, but you have 7.

Mahrke
2012-04-29, 10:10 PM
Endowed Mind is from Pathfinder, upon doing a little bit of research. It increases the save DC of any power you manifest by 1 for every two power points you augment it by (as long as it does not naturally increase in DC via augmentation). You must also have your psionic focus maintained (something I forgot).

Honestly, it was just a lazy shortcut I took to avoid having to give my powers DC-scaling entries, and would be better served as a class feature, rather than a specific bonus feat.

Edit: Converted to a class feature built to simply allow Chronomancy powers to scale their DCs with increased power point investiture.

Sallera
2012-04-29, 10:29 PM
Heh, I'm probably just too used to playing humans. Removed the second Quicken.

stack
2012-04-30, 08:11 AM
Contributions for the wand of lesser vigor fund? Arthros has 144 GP out of 750, if we decide we need it.

Jeff, regarding maps, PM me your email and I'll send a zip of the ones I have so far.

Does the healing hands class feature also do extra damage to undead? It says it adds CHA mod to the amount of damage healed, making no reference to using cure spells against undead.

Does close wounds count as a cure spell for mastery of day and night? It is basically an immediate action cure spell (conjuration: healing), but doesn't have 'cure' in the name.

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 09:40 AM
Fireheart: Did you take ranger or scout 1st level? If scout, you don't qualify for Weapon Finesse at 1st. If ranger, I'd recommend switching to scout and swapping your 1st and 3rd level feats for those extra 6 skill points.

Unfortunately, I forgot my thumb drive at work today, so I don't have my notes from the build.

I'm good with going Scout and then switching 1 and 3rd feats and adding 6 skill points.

@stack, T'riss has 104gp that she will probably be willing to throw toward a wand once we meet up. She knows she doesn't have the ability to heal herself so she's more than willing to assist the healers in funding their needs (within reason of course.)

~Fireheart

Sallera
2012-04-30, 10:11 AM
August has ~200 to spare, although I'd like to save at least some of that for the Inevitable Warhorse Replacement Fund. Honestly, with all your cures being maximized, I'm not sure we'll need a wand to stay healthy, but it could be nice to have one for efficiency's sake anyway.

stack
2012-04-30, 10:35 AM
I assumed it would be pooled resources to be spent before hand, since it may be hard to find one right off in game. And I agree it may not be necessary. Even his cure minor wounds should be healing 7 HP (1 + 6 CHA, it is still a conjuration: healing spell, unless orisions don't count)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-30, 11:39 AM
Arya has 260gp to offer, but she also wears a healing belt and has the Vital Recovery feat, so she should be ok at Healing herself and staying on track (Also, DR1/- up to 10 damage :smallsmile:). But since she's also likely to get beaten up alot she'd appreciate a but of helpful healing.

stack
2012-04-30, 11:52 AM
Maybe we'll just run without it. I keep vacillating...but when I run the numbers, he can kick out a lot of HP, so we'll see if we can make the first stretch on spells alone. I forget he has the aura, so OOC we only need healing above 50%

Jeff the Green
2012-04-30, 02:21 PM
Does the healing hands class feature also do extra damage to undead? It says it adds CHA mod to the amount of damage healed, making no reference to using cure spells against undead.

Does close wounds count as a cure spell for mastery of day and night? It is basically an immediate action cure spell (conjuration: healing), but doesn't have 'cure' in the name.

No and no. It's pretty clear that Healing Hands doesn't increase damage done with Cure spells. In fact, if you were to somehow get Inflict spells as a Healer, you would Maximize add your charisma to any you cast on undead. Likewise with MoDaN, it's also pretty clear that it doesn't apply to, say Heal or Harm. If the authors had wanted to make close wounds work with MoDaN or a cleric's spontaneous cures/inflicts, they'd have called it something like "immediate cure."

Healing hands does work with Cure Minor Wounds, on the other hand.

stack
2012-04-30, 02:42 PM
Pretty much what I thought, figured it was worth asking. Close wounds will still be quite handy for getting extra healing off in a pinch at range.

Jeff the Green
2012-04-30, 04:27 PM
The IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241552) is up; you wake up in the order you post.

Also, everyone roll DC 10 Will and DC 10 Fortitude. If you fail the Will save, the nightmares you saw during your travel increase your Depravity score from 0 to 1; if you fail the Fortitude save, the mist seeped into your bones and increases your Corruption score from 0 to 1.

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 04:38 PM
Cool. I'll probably post IC/wake up late tonight...am leaving work shortly.

@Jeff,

Couple questions, having made those skill changes and did some more research on Eilistraee...if it is okay with you...I've put skill points in Perform (Voice) and w/ the little $ left over will buy an musical instrument (MW if I can afford it) before I cross over. :) Now fiddle...or lute?

Also, made some notes in the character sheet around language and Dogma, hopefully nothing that changes the basics of the character...just trying to flesh her out a little before starting.

Rolls
Will [roll0]
Fort [roll1]

~Fireheart

Mahrke
2012-04-30, 04:42 PM
Fort Save: [roll0]
Will Save: [roll1]

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 04:42 PM
Right...so actually rolling the right dice this time. Sorry!

Will [roll0]
Fort [roll1]

~T

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 04:44 PM
Right...so actually rolling the right dice this time. Sorry!

Will [roll0]
Fort [roll1]

~T

Sallera
2012-04-30, 04:59 PM
Fort: [roll0]
Will: [roll1]

Jeff the Green
2012-04-30, 05:21 PM
Couple questions, having made those skill changes and did some more research on Eilistraee...if it is okay with you...I've put skill points in Perform (Voice) and w/ the little $ left over will buy an musical instrument (MW if I can afford it) before I cross over.

Yep, that's fine.

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 05:43 PM
Thanks!

And since apparently...I'm having the doubleposties. :) Let me know which set of rolls you want to count.

:)

~Fireheart

TheFallenOne
2012-04-30, 06:01 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

TheFallenOne
2012-04-30, 06:05 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

damn server

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 06:21 PM
At least it's not just me!

I couldn't even see my most reason post until I started to reply and repost the same thing...

I'm still trying to edit my IC post...missed a color section.

~Fireheart

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 06:22 PM
At least it's not just me!

I couldn't even see my most reason post until I started to reply and repost the same thing...

I'm still trying to edit my IC post...missed a color section.

~Fireheart

Jeff the Green
2012-04-30, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I can't see anything since my last post. Hopefully replying will fix that and it won't last long.

Anyway, my general rule for double posts is to use the first roll.

Fireheart
2012-04-30, 06:54 PM
Okay...so first set. Thanks!

~Fireheart

stack
2012-04-30, 07:50 PM
fort [roll0]
will [roll1]

stack
2012-04-30, 08:01 PM
Sheesh, I have some catching up to do! If I can get a baby down, anyhow.

Mahrke
2012-04-30, 08:16 PM
This'll be my first Play by Post on the Playground...and I've gotta ask, are the forums normally this...glitchy? I get errors on posts around 50% of the time, and load rates are slow.

Sallera
2012-04-30, 08:29 PM
It varies depending on the server load, but it has been worse than usual in the last few months. The forums are probably expanding past the server's capacity to handle them.

stack
2012-04-30, 09:24 PM
If things get ugly, whoever is our main tank should get shield other, allowing Arthros to take half damage. He has the platinum rings for a focus. We can RP it when it comes up.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-01, 10:25 AM
Conversation seems to be winding down, so I'll move things along IC.

stack
2012-05-01, 11:05 AM
Arthros wears a pendant bearing the symbol of the sovereign host around his neck. His staff is engraved with their individual symbols.

Sallera
2012-05-01, 11:14 AM
August carries no obvious symbols, but the wooden hand hanging from his neck might suggest druidic tendencies, depending on one's background.

Fireheart
2012-05-01, 12:51 PM
Thanks all,

Even through I know we're all from somewhere different T'riss doesn't...and so since she's new to religion conversion...that's the first thing she thought to look for.

~Fireheart

TheFallenOne
2012-05-01, 02:24 PM
Aswin has a Thor's hammer around his throat, carved from a piece of ash tree.

Mahrke
2012-05-01, 03:30 PM
The professor wears no visible holy symbol.

Fireheart
2012-05-02, 07:08 AM
Thanks all.

I just want to say I am having so much fun...making all the assumptions that T'riss would...even though I know that the answer to just about everything is no.

@Jeff - unless you say otherwise, Faeryl's not haunting T'riss, I'm just using her as a kind of subconscious to explain why she wants to do something nice that goes against what she thinks should be her character. Does that make sense?

~Fireheart

Jeff the Green
2012-05-02, 04:44 PM
@Fireheart, that's fine.

@Sallera
Where you arrived isn't a circle like stonehenge. It's just a large lump of quartz, and the carved arches were only palm-sized and lying on the ground. It's probably not a landmark and likely fairly recent.

Sallera
2012-05-02, 04:55 PM
Oh, I know. Faerie rings aren't supposed to be obvious until you're inside them. ^^

Jeff the Green
2012-05-04, 03:15 PM
The forum seems to be a bit buggy again. If you can't see my most recent IC post (after TFO's), you should be able to see it by replying and scrolling down. Or wait a while. Last time it happened it stopped after an hour or two. Grrr.

Mahrke
2012-05-04, 04:45 PM
I forgot to roll my Prescience Dice at the beginning of the day, so here they are.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Mahrke
2012-05-04, 04:51 PM
Since I don't like to edit die roll posts (can you cheat like that?), I figured I would explain Prescience dice to the other group members here.

I roll a number of dice dependant on class level at the beginning of each day. Throughout the day I can replace a d20 result from an ally with a Prescience Die result, expending it. This replacement occurs after the roll, but before the result is known. Alternatively, I can replace any d20 result of a foe, with the exception of saving throws. This ability may only be used once per round.

So on that note, woo-hoo! Awesome rolls for the day...hopefully I will be able to use them before nap time.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-04, 08:17 PM
FYI, Mahrke, you can edit posts where you rolled dice. It's impossible to change the roll code in an edit or add a new one, and if you delete a roll it makes a big red note of it below your post. Like this:

<= I deleted a roll here
[roll]1d20+2 <= I added a roll here.

So yeah, feel free to edit your posts after you've rolled (just don't hit the preview button, since that will prevent the die rolls). In fact, in a campaign I'm in where I roll lots of bluff and diplomacy checks, I make the rolls first and then edit the post with appropriate dialogue. (High check => I'm Kofi Annan, low check => I insult someone's parentage.)

Jeff the Green
2012-05-04, 10:35 PM
So Isaac is on Artax, Aswin's on Drifa, and Arya has a 40 ft speed. How about T'riss, Arthros, and August, are they just walking?

Sallera
2012-05-04, 10:40 PM
Looks like it; I assume this little farming village isn't going to have spare horses for sale, and unfortunately, Longstrider isn't one of August's druid spells. :smalltongue:

stack
2012-05-05, 12:09 PM
Arthros has many miles in his boots, a few more won't faze him.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-05, 01:44 PM
As I'm sure you've guessed, you're coming up on an encounter pretty soon. What's your guys' marching order? T'riss out front, all together, tanks out front, something else? Also, are you trying to be stealthy?

Sallera
2012-05-05, 02:04 PM
*holds up light* Stealth will get us nowhere!

More seriously, half the party isn't really capable of stealth anyway. And I'm in favour of not spreading out when we're heading into a place where we could easily be attacked from any direction.

Fireheart
2012-05-05, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure if it's okay to discuss OOC but we always do in our table top...

I'd suggest the following order-ish?

August/Isaac On the Horse
Triss
Arthros
Aswin
Arya

I suggest Arya or Aswin take rear because both Aswin on Drifa and Arya have fairly decent speeds and can move forward faster than Trisss or Arthros.

Depending on the time, Triss would either be in front of just behind. If it's right now, I'd assume

August/Isaac
Triss
Arthros
Aswin
Arya

Roughly....

Fireheart

TheFallenOne
2012-05-05, 02:29 PM
Aswin is a guy who prefers to take center point, but Triss' reasoning would convince him to take the rear, reluctantly.

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 02:46 PM
Besides, the hobbling old man needs a stalwart defender if we get flanked! I'll be proceeding on foot, if we get into combat I don't want to waste time risking failed ride checks, and its not as if we'll be running through the mist.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-05, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if it's okay to discuss OOC but we always do in our table top...

Yup, it's fine. I assume that your characters discussed marching order on the road, since three of you have military experience. If nobody's out in front, everybody roll initiative.

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 03:24 PM
1d20+1

Edit: Accursed die roller is thwarting me!

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 03:31 PM
[roll0] Initiative for real this time?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-05, 03:31 PM
Arya likewise would prefer to be at the front, but would reluctantly concede the wisdom of being the rear guard. But when she knows there is danger she will be more adamant about taking point (though she doesn't mind sharing the duty with another).

Initiative: [roll0]

Sallera
2012-05-05, 03:33 PM
Init: [roll0]

Jeff the Green
2012-05-05, 03:35 PM
Alright, so is this basically what you wanted?

{table]Isaac|Aswin
T'riss|August
Arya|Arthos[/table]

The top of the table is the front.

Sallera
2012-05-05, 03:36 PM
That looks pretty good. Artax is still around, too; probably at the back of the group, or beside August if there's room over there.

stack
2012-05-05, 03:39 PM
I have found it helpful to keep a table with everyone's initiative code in the OOC OP, then I just cut and paste it into the start of any fight.

initiative: [roll0]

And Arthros should be in the middle-ish, as suggested by others.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-05, 03:48 PM
And Arthros should be in the middle-ish, as suggested by others.

So, swap with August?

TheFallenOne
2012-05-05, 03:49 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 03:51 PM
Wait, wait. Why is the decrepit old man in the front!? I want the back, behind all my moving meaty shields.

Howabout this:

{table]Arya|Aswin
T'riss|Arthros
Issac|August[/table]

It puts casters in the back, healer and sneaky in the middle, and our two beefcakes up front.

Sallera
2012-05-05, 04:19 PM
Because we're as likely to be attacked from the back or either side as we are from the front. We're wandering through a foggy town, not raiding a dungeon; that's why we had an even distribution.

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 04:23 PM
Fair enough, I'm just real nervous about getting charged turn one. The professor is pretty squishy when he doesn't have access to immediate actions.

Sallera
2012-05-05, 04:25 PM
Well, you can be on one of the sides, then, surrouded by everyone else and Artax.

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 04:29 PM
{table]T'riss|Aswin
Issac|Arthros
Arya|August[/table]

This, then? It leaves August exposed on the corner, but otherwise fits the rest of the requirements.

Fireheart
2012-05-05, 06:20 PM
I'm good with that.

[roll0]

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 07:35 PM
I'm assuming we can post in any order to expedite combat, though our actions will occurs in the order of initiative? Or do we need to wait for the person directly before us to post their actions?

Jeff the Green
2012-05-05, 07:38 PM
I'm assuming we can post in any order to expedite combat, though our actions will occurs in the order of initiative? Or do we need to wait for the person directly before us to post their actions?

Correct, with one exception. If the enemies go before someone (like Aswin in this encounter) they should wait until I post the enemy's first turn. And if your action requires you to know where someone who moves before you will be, you should wait until they post.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-05, 07:52 PM
@al'Lan
You only moved 20 ft (the squares are 5'x5'), so you could move further if you want. Also, in the future, go ahead and describe what you're doing in character, and then put the mechanics in a spoiler, like in my first OOC post. It's neater and it helps me make sure I don't miss anything.

Mahrke
2012-05-05, 07:56 PM
In that case, the other party-members should know that I will be manifesting Haste on my first turn, pretty much without fail, every fight as long as it looks like there is a reasonable challenge, and not something more pressing to deal with.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-05, 08:18 PM
Well the plan had been to advance to somewhere possibly outside of their reach and then everyone attack next round when we'd all be in range, but with Isaac's spell plenty of us could all charge this round...
I think i'll stick with what I've done so far, with an amendment to show awareness of spell. This way at least she's forming a block to protect the others.

Fireheart
2012-05-05, 08:33 PM
Quick question to the DM before I post.

You can draw a weapon if combined with a move action. Will you allow drawing and loading of hand crossbow as move action? (I've had some DM's rule yes and some no.)

If yes, she'll attack from range first. If no, she'll probably skirmish.

Thanks.

~Fireheart

Jeff the Green
2012-05-05, 09:38 PM
You can draw a weapon if combined with a move action. Will you allow drawing and loading of hand crossbow as move action? (I've had some DM's rule yes and some no.)

You can draw a weapon as part of a move, but not with any other move action, and in any case drawing a weapon and loading a weapon are not the same thing. That's what Rapid Reload is for.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-06, 04:38 AM
You forgot to account for large size mounts in the map.

Damn, acting last... Not sure yet whether to use Inspire Courage or just start beating them up.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 05:06 AM
You forgot to account for large size mounts in the map.

Damn, acting last... Not sure yet whether to use Inspire Courage or just start beating them up.

Thanks for pointing that out. I spaced, and fixed it in the next turn's map. As for what you want to do... wait until I post the zombies' actions.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 04:32 PM
Carcass eater's critical:
Confirm [roll0] damage [roll1] so only the 5 from normal attacks.

T'riss and Arya avoided the zombies' attacks, so don't have to make Fortitude saves against disease, but T'riss does need to make a DC 15 Will save against paralysis.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 04:53 PM
I'll remember to do them ahead of time in future.

Sapphire Nightmare Blade:
Concentration check: [roll0]
Attackroll with 2points of power attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 04:58 PM
Since I'm assuming that beats the zombie's AC he counts as flat footed and I deal an extra 1d6 damage: [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 05:10 PM
sorry for posting so many times. Forgot to add double the bonus for power attack on the Z3 first time round, only did 1.5, so 1 extra point of damage, and 1d6 for truedeath crystal= [roll0]

So final total on Z3 in the first Attack (sapphire Nightmare blade) is 27.

Sorry for confusion...

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 05:18 PM
That's alright. I think you misunderstood haste, though. You don't get an extra standard action, you get an extra attack on a full attack. So you can either use Stone Bones Strike or make a full attack and get two attacks. (It doesn't matter much, since you miss both times.) Your last attack doesn't fell the zombie.

Also, look at how the rest of the players are formatting their posts and try to copy it. So your last post would look like this.

Arya Skye, Catfolk Knight

Arya easily evades the attacking creature and then strikes it with her blade, her mind perfectly honed and her strike true.

<description of Stone Bones>
Stone Bones:
Attack roll, with 2 points in power attack[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] (Strength x1.5, Power Attack x2, Burning blade, Truedeath crystal, Flaming)
If it hits, she then gains DR 5/Adamantium for 1 round

Don't worry about changing it now, since it could mess up the rolls, just try to format it like that in the future. Like I said, it both helps maintain immersion (such as it is) and helps to keep me organized.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 05:27 PM
Hmmm. I forgot to ask, TFO, is Drifa called?

Fireheart
2012-05-06, 05:34 PM
T'riss Will Save (Of all things,it's her weakest.)

[roll0]

::please roll high:: prays.

edit: Really. she rolled a 1. Please tell me you don't use critical fails. :)

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 05:39 PM
T'riss Will Save (Of all things,it's her weakest.)

[roll0]

::please roll high:: prays.

edit: Really. she rolled a 1. Please tell me you don't use critical fails. :)

Nope. You do autofail saves and attacks on a 1 and autosucceed saves and attacks on a 20, but no fumbles and no autofail/succeed on skills.

Fireheart
2012-05-06, 05:41 PM
Cool. So she's paralyzed and surrounded.

Great...

Um...any chance, I can have a back up character if she dies? :)

~Fireheart

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 05:42 PM
Of course, but remember that you have a healer in the party that goes first in initiative.

Sallera
2012-05-06, 06:02 PM
Plus, it's about time for August to have his little mental breakdown, I think. Just waiting to see how everyone who moves before him is positioned so I don't burn any of them.

Fireheart
2012-05-06, 06:41 PM
:) Nothing like actually fulfilling the characters flaws, even if I didn't quite mean to!

~Fireheart

stack
2012-05-06, 07:21 PM
I foresee myself writing "ready action to remove paralysis" frequently. Maybe I should just keep it on the clipboard to paste in.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 07:31 PM
I foresee myself writing "ready action to remove paralysis" frequently. Maybe I should just keep it on the clipboard to paste in.

Eh, you'd have to end the turn next to someone who will be paralyzed (since you can ready a standard or move or swift action). An alternative would be delaying until right after the enemies' turn (like you just did) so you can get anyone healed up quickly.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 07:44 PM
What I meant was that Sapphire Nightmare blade was my readied action, so that was detailed in the post, then for her 2nd round action Arya either moves and uses burning blade (swift) and stone bones (standard) or just standard attack. I'd completely forgotten about Haste.

stack
2012-05-06, 07:50 PM
Remove paralysis has range: close (40' for Arthros 25+6/2 *5)

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 08:35 PM
What I meant was that Sapphire Nightmare blade was my readied action, so that was detailed in the post, then for her 2nd round action Arya either moves and uses burning blade (swift) and stone bones (standard) or just standard attack. I'd completely forgotten about Haste.

Alright, that makes more sense. In the future, put that whole thing in spoilers like this:

Arya Skye, Catfolk Knight

Arya easily evades the attacking creature and then strikes it with her blade, her mind perfectly honed and her strike true [Sapphire Nightmare Blade, 21 Damage, creature flatfooted].

<fluffy description>

If Zombie 3 is dead:
Arya will move to G10 and use Burning Blade to add to her blade's fire. She will then use the Stone Bones Strike to attack Z2.

Attack roll, with 2 points in power attack[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] (Strength x1.5, Power Attack x2, Burning blade, Truedeath crystal, Flaming)

She then gains DR 5/Adamantium for 1 round

If Zombie 3 'lives'

she will attack it normally. Attack roll with 2 points in power attack [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 08:37 PM
Will do in future (Also I didn't know the forum had a minimum character requirement...)

Jeff the Green
2012-05-06, 08:50 PM
Thanks. Sorry for being so OC about it, but I miss things (as evidenced here) if they're not spelled out in a spoiler.

And yeah, I don't know why there's a character requirement. Most people, when they want to make a short post, write something random like this: penguins artichoke dustpan! and make it white.

stack
2012-05-07, 07:40 AM
I'm looking forward to running combat with a totally support oriented character. Its very different, but I think I'll like it.

Fireheart
2012-05-07, 07:54 AM

And at the rate I'm going...using it on T'riss regularly!

And given that Arthros went before T'riss in the round, does that mean that she's free to act this round?

~Fireheart

Fireheart
2012-05-07, 01:17 PM
Trusting the answer to my previous was yes. :)

As a side note, apparently that Haste was a nat 20....dang undead. :(

~Fireheart

Jeff the Green
2012-05-07, 04:17 PM
And at the rate I'm going...using it on T'riss regularly!

And given that Arthros went before T'riss in the round, does that mean that she's free to act this round?

~Fireheart

Yep. I imagine this is why Stack delayed until right after the zombies.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-07, 10:36 PM
AoO on Aswin:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1], plus disease (Fort DC 13)

Jeff the Green
2012-05-07, 10:44 PM
Black Fire reflex saves:
Zombie 1: [roll0]
Zombie 2: [roll1]
Zombie 5: [roll2]
Carcass Eater 1: [roll3]
Carcass Eater 1: [roll4]

Jeff the Green
2012-05-08, 12:24 AM
Hey, the zombies actually hit this time!

Anyway, Aswin's immune to disease, but T'riss needs to make another DC 15 Will save.

I also need AoOs from Aswin, Drifa, and T'riss.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-08, 03:11 AM
Ouch, they do

did you roll the trip check for Z2?

AoO
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] bludgeoning, PA 3

Jeff the Green
2012-05-08, 03:33 AM
Bah. No, I didn't.

[roll0] Oof. Okay, he tries to get up, so he provokes an AoO from T'riss before trying to attack her.

Those AoOs destroy Zombie 1.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-08, 04:17 AM
oh Drifa, why do you roll a natural 1 on me?

Change of plans in that case.
Overwhelming Smite instead of Demolishing Smite: free trip attempt [roll0]

Aswin's second attack goes on the carcass eater.

Fireheart
2012-05-08, 06:26 AM
T'riss

AoO [roll0]
Dmg [roll1]

Will [roll2]

Can I tell you how much T'riss wants a Periapt of Wisdom now?

Edit: Really...twice. I rolled a one. twice. ::player shakes head::

~Fireheart

Fireheart
2012-05-08, 06:37 AM
Fort Saves

[roll0]
[roll1]

~Fireheart

stack
2012-05-08, 07:08 AM
T'riss just wants Arthros to feel useful.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-08, 07:09 AM
I might need to stop power attacking: Arya can't hit anything!!! If they have AC 13 I'm going to be so annoyed that I power attacked with the first one!

Fireheart
2012-05-08, 08:21 AM
T'riss just wants Arthros to feel useful.

I'm good with that. :)

~Fireheart

TheFallenOne
2012-05-08, 10:49 AM
Did you account for the +1 from Inspire Courage?

Also, you should probably roll the fire damage separately so energy and damage resistance can be properly applied.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-08, 11:04 AM
Did you account for the +1 from Inspire Courage?

Also, you should probably roll the fire damage separately so energy and damage resistance can be properly applied.

Nope, and I will in future. (Everyone's buffing her, including herself- TOO MANY BUFFS)

Mahrke
2012-05-08, 01:55 PM
Question.
One, what is the undead horde's initiative count? I want to cast Swiftness on Aswin to make him start acting before them, but I need to know how augmented it needs to be to do that.

Also, sorry for going mia. Hospital stay that began unexpectedly on Sunday, but I'm recovered now and back to normal posting.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-08, 02:13 PM
oooh, that effectively gives me a bonus turn with the initiative boost. I like :smallsmile: thanks man

Side note though, Opportunity is better used on Drifa. She deals more damage than Aswin unless he's smiting, plus her bite pierces DR/slashing and the free trip...

Those constant trips from my mount and Awesome Smite are quite something. Pity I couldn't squeeze Improved Trip in there.

Mahrke
2012-05-08, 02:22 PM
We're changing the opportunity target to Drifa then! And yeah, Swiftness will essentially allow you to act twice in a row, once at the end of their turn, after the zombies have gone, and then again this turn, before they get a chance to act. Its kinda like White Raven Tactics except without the ability to abuse it by using it over and over again.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-08, 02:23 PM
Question.
One, what is the undead horde's initiative count? I want to cast Swiftness on Aswin to make him start acting before them, but I need to know how augmented it needs to be to do that.

Also, sorry for going mia. Hospital stay that began unexpectedly on Sunday, but I'm recovered now and back to normal posting.

Oof. That sucks. I hope you're recovering well, and continue to do so. Obviously you couldn't do it this time, but if you or anyone else know you're going to have a >2 day absence, just post here to let me know.

I forgot to write down their count. :smallredface: So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let it work (actually, I'm pretty sure they had the same roll, and the zombies had a higher initiative mod). I'll make sure to write it down/use the forum roller in the future.

Mahrke
2012-05-08, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it was my own fault, and I wanted to let you know, but didn't have internet access during my stay :/ Shouldn't happen again though.

Okay, editing post now that I know how many power points Swiftness will cost me.

PS: If you have a better way to do Prescience dice/make them more visible, please let me know.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-08, 03:00 PM
Damn, I forgot to list prepared spells. Though now I think about it, could I take the Holy Warrior variant from Complete Champion?

Fireheart
2012-05-08, 03:13 PM
Okay...I admit that this is incredibly cool...but at the same time, the most complicated pbp I've ever seen.

@Jeff, the last Zombie attacks, didn't have a new initiative order...does that mean we go the same as the last round...ie...I need to go again?

Or am I waiting?

Sorry! I've jut gotten kind of lost in the combat.

Thanks!

Jeff the Green
2012-05-08, 03:16 PM
@TFO: Sure.
@Fireheart: Same order. That applies in the future as well; I'll only post the order if it changes from the last round.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-08, 03:25 PM
Awesome, didn't have a feat slot for Extra Smiting before :smallbiggrin:

MUHAHA, fear me, servants of evil, for I am come to crush you and bring woe upon your children!

Wait, that's not how good people go about that thing, is it?

Sallera
2012-05-08, 03:28 PM
Well, that just depends on whether their children follow the family business! ^^

TheFallenOne
2012-05-08, 03:58 PM
That kind of gloating still feels wrong for a paladin :smalltongue:

and damn, I was inattentive, completely missed the professor cast Haste upon me. Gogo bonus attacks!

attack on Z2 [roll0] [roll1]
attack on Z2 [roll2] [roll3]

sorry about that, with the two turns and the missed Haste attacks it may get a bit confusing what I've done overall.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-08, 08:38 PM
Z5 can't resist the trip, but here's Z3's and Z4's check:
Z3: [roll0]
Z4: [roll1]

Edit: Well, Z4's tripped and Z3's down from other attacks. TFO, give me AoOs for Z4 to get up so I can have the zombies decide what to do. NM Thought you were still online. I'll make them.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-08, 08:48 PM
Aswin: [roll0] [roll1]
Drifa: [roll2] [roll3]

Mahrke
2012-05-08, 11:40 PM
Just a note, it looks like you read my Prescience Die as replacing August's light ray attack. Indeed, I was replacing -Arya's- first attack. This isn't a big deal, and I'd rather not get into complicated retroactives, but this does highlight that I do need a more clear way to use Prescience Dice.

In a real game, its easier. I just see someone roll a three or whatever and say "Hey man, no. Take a 15." Any idea on how I can better convey Prescience usage?

Jeff the Green
2012-05-08, 11:44 PM
You could quote the part of mine or the player's post that you're replacing. That should make it clearer, since we have four a-characters and 3 ar-characters (4 and 3 if you count the horse).

Speaking of Artax, the fear spell lasts [roll0] rounds. Sallera, August can pick up his horse 760 feet outside the village. :smallamused:

Mahrke
2012-05-09, 12:19 AM
Just posting here to make it more visible that Mr. the Green probably needs to roll D1 (and perhaps Artax's) Will saves to determine if the spellcaster gets switched into melee with our group, as that will very likely influence what our bruisers do with their turns.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-09, 12:41 AM
You may want to consider that; Artax is visibly terrified of the undead and is going to flee as fast and far away as he can, which if he's transposed means into the city and almost certainly into the arms and mouths of more undead. From a metagame standpoint, it may be hard to replace him immediately and even you can survive another magic missile or two. From a RP standpoint, I don't know how much you want to piss off the character from the fairy tale; he might take the death of his horse badly.

If not, that's fine (I just wanted to point those out) and I'll roll here in a spoiler and trust you not to peek until you decide.
Animals such as Artax have Intelligence 2, so I generally consider them unwilling except for harmless spells or if they're trained. So he gets a save (granted, at +2).
[roll0]
[roll1] Huh. I was not expecting that.

Mahrke
2012-05-09, 12:44 AM
As the caster made the save, it doesn't matter, but I hadn't really considered that it s running direction would change with the location of the fear effect. Anywho, no matter who I choose as the transpositionee, the D1's successful save negates the entirity of the power.

PS: Read the spoiler before the entirity of your post, whoops. Shall try to be more vigilant about not doing that in future.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-09, 01:14 AM
huh, how come there's still Z1? It died to AoOs. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13192967&postcount=116)

Jeff the Green
2012-05-09, 01:18 AM
huh, how come there's still Z1? It died to AoOs. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13192967&postcount=116)

You're right. I've not gotten my record keeping strategy worked out yet; I'm going to move to a spreadsheet for the next battle. No one's done anything to it yet, so I'll make an announcement in the IC thread too.

Zombie 1 is destroyed.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-09, 06:17 AM
Move to H4- damage from black fire in E9 and AoO from Z6.
She has 70ft movement due to Haste.

The fire is only a few feat tall; you can jump over it. Since your speed gives you a total of +20 to your jump check, you can beat the DC even on a 1, so go ahead and ignore the damage.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-09, 07:59 AM
The fire is only a few feat tall; you can jump over it. Since your speed gives you a total of +20 to your jump check, you can beat the DC even on a 1, so go ahead and ignore the damage.

Cool. Still too short. Horseradish...

stack
2012-05-09, 08:03 AM
CLW ain't too shabby maximized with +6 on top. Though I almost forgot spell resistance. Drow should try not to require in combat healing. :smallwink:

Fireheart
2012-05-09, 08:32 AM
CLW ain't too shabby maximized with +6 on top. Though I almost forgot spell resistance. Drow should try not to require in combat healing. :smallwink:

:) I promise out of game to have a conversation in game about her flaw of running into combat... :)

Maybe I'll need to adjust her behavior at her companions request and take another flaw at some point to reflect her new found caution?

~Fireheart

stack
2012-05-09, 08:42 AM
Well, its all fine now, but could be rough when you hit -10 because Arthros blew his CL check on close wounds.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-09, 08:44 AM
If you delay past Aswin you may be able to avoid the Z6 AoO. 2 hits from Drifa and a Smite from Aswin may be enough to finish the zombies, and if not the possible trip might at least give -4 on the zombie attack.

Fireheart
2012-05-09, 09:09 AM
That would be cool. Since I waited until Arthros healed her, Aswin and Drifa have had the chance to go first.

Mahrke
2012-05-09, 10:12 AM
Y'know, I'd forgotten spell resistance as well. All of Isaac's chronomancy powers will also need to make checks to affect you with that up ><.

Fireheart
2012-05-09, 10:45 AM
Right...so, I know I can lower spell resistance for helpful spells, but it's a standard action.

So I guess if someone is targeting T'riss and needs her to lower it, let me/her know and we can decide if she takes the action to lower it and then attacks next round.

If Haste is going to be caste, early in a combat, T'riss can lower her SR the minute we go into combat, move if need be to make room to skirmish and then attack the next round.

~Fireheart

Jeff the Green
2012-05-10, 12:32 AM
Ta ta ta ta, ta, ta, ta, ta-ta! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLIg6WT7zM&feature=related)

You got 425 XP apiece.

So, after-action report time. Since this is the first campaign I've run (like I said in the recruitment thread), I'd like to get your feedback after at least the first couple battles.

My self assessment was that I need to work on my organization so that I don't forget that, say, a zombie was downed by AoOs or that a character has moved. I also overestimated the impact of my modifications. This was supposed to be an EL 6 fight for four characters, and I thought upping zombies' HD and adding a second caster would make up the difference; I was pretty clearly wrong. I'm going to take a closer look at the enemies for the next fight.

I thought I did a decent job on the fluffy text and making the mindless zombies act mindless and the intelligent casters act a bit more intelligently. But then, my self-assessments are notoriously inaccurate.

So what did you guys think? How can I improve? (If you'd rather, you can PM me.)

Mahrke
2012-05-10, 12:46 AM
Couple things to address:

Encounter Tuning: Almost every Wizards-published adventure in 3.5 has undertuned the encounters. This is somewhat a problem with the CR system, but mostly it is because Wizards assumes poor optimization. If our group was a bunch of standard rangers, poorly-played clerics, and a wizard that used nothing but burning hands, scorching ray, and fireball, it would've been a tough fight.

As it stands, however, we are fairly optimized. Yes, we're using tier 3 stuff, but the Healer can bring anyone to full with a single spell and our melee crank out a ton of damage, augmented further by the Chronomancer. Speaking of the healer and chronomancer...

Our Casters: Now, I'm going to ignore August since I have no idea how Shadowcasters work. As it stands though, we have a Healer. Dedicated healers allow you to -really- lay on the hurt, because they provide such a big airbag against TPKs. In addition, the Chronomancer is likely the most adept -enabling- class in the game, in that it force-multiplies Big Stupid Fighters like few others can. We have a pretty solid strategy in that Arya, Aswin, and Triss are going to -murder- stuff because they are getting a -really- big boosty from the casters.

And finally (and perhaps most importantly to me), the Chronomancer. Its a custom class, and that means it might not be tuned correctly. Thus far, I see only one problem that you might need to address, and its not with the class itself.

Linked Power. The feat is too good, and, in particular, it allows me to tack Opportunity to nearly every buff I cast, at only one extra power point. This might cause encounters to go by too quickly, as between Haste and that, our melee get -so- many more attacks than they'd get in a party without a support caster like Isaac.

Wrapping up, those are the issues I see, but I think the combat went famously. Your description is superior, and the challenge wasn't actually -that- far off. Triss took a nasty hit, and if we hadn't had such an advantageous position, zombies could have easily swarmed our casters. I'm betting Arthros is just as, or very nearly as squishy as I am, and that could've led to some pretty crushing blows if the opponents hadn't gotten so bottlenecked.

PS: I can't actually overstate how well you've done with the fluff. It is very well done, and I especially love the personalization of spoilered messages to characters.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-10, 04:04 AM
I second all the above.

Plus, the map was great and really helpful. So kudos on that.

Obviously you don't want to metagame in the first encounter, but like mahrke said, if Arthros and Isaac are on the back foot getting beaten around it might make it harder for them to help us so effectively (but I also agree with the way you played the Zombies and Casters, mindlessly/more intelligently). So yeah. Well done!

stack
2012-05-10, 07:40 AM
Organization is tricky. I prefer to do enemy rolls in a dice thread over in that section of the board, so i can view the results and then type up the post all at once. I update the map according to player actions, then roll for the monsters and update them. I still end up leaving things in the wrong place. Posting individual damages in spoilers immediately after the descriptions helps track you got hit for how much.

Map is good. What did you use for the coordinates? I just use the built-in ones for dungeongrapher, its a check box middle-left. Harder to read, but saves any extra exporting.

Balance wise I don't think we where that off. This section is supposed to be a slog through a chain of encounters. As it is, without the tweaks to the healer class we may have lost one party member to CDG.

In the game I run we started with a fighter (who dropped out later) with the PF great cleave. He'd hit every zombie in the encounter for 30-40 damage each round. Still almost died several times.

That said it is very tricky no balance encounters in general. The line between cakewalk and TPK can be one bad save. I'd advise going at least another fight with your current rubric before making adjustments, get a bigger sample size.

stack
2012-05-10, 07:42 AM
Cure Minor Wounds for Aswin, Isaac, and T'riss, healing 7 each (1+6 CHA). Did August take damage?

Fireheart
2012-05-10, 07:48 AM
Pretty much ditto.

I really enjoyed the fluff. To the point I sometimes forgot to read the OOC...please note it took me two rounds to realize I had to make fort saves and took dmg. I'll definitely pay closer attention to that going forward.

The combat is a bit crazy as I said earlier but I think it's laid out well. I LOVE the maps (especially for T'riss who to get the most out of her skirmish has to move 10 ft.) It may take me a bit to follow everything but I think I'm getting it.

So far, truly enjoying. (Now I just really need to get another feat so I can take crossbow sniper!)

~Fireheart

Sallera
2012-05-10, 09:57 AM
August did get hit for 7 right at the end of combat.

I wasn't paying too much attention to the balance of the fight, as I was a bit preoccupied with the necessary fluff, but it ran very smoothly for a battle with so many combatants, so you're definitely doing a good job there. That said, I'll agree that you should wait another encounter or two before revisiting your changes. Large parties are tricky to balance for, and seeing how much it takes to wear us down will probably be helpful.

stack
2012-05-10, 10:08 AM
I'll burn another cure minor to erase that 7 damage.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-10, 10:29 AM
The maps were done well, and minor mistakes like missing the zombie destroyed by AoOs or the mounts' large size are one time oversights unlikely to happen again. Can't offer much improvement to the way you handled things since it's pretty much the same way I'm used to doing things. Shared baddy initiative, party and foes acting interchangably, tactical maps...
I don't agree with stack on making the rolls in a separate thread. It does have an advantage in allowing you to say not only what they do, but what effect it has as well. However, I prefer just saying what the enemies attempt and then letting the players describe the effects on them. But that mostly boils down to personal preference.

On balance: 6 instead of 4 and the free LA made a big difference. Goliath gave me a lot of oomph and Smite Evil/encounter makes the paladin class worthwhile. The Chronomancer though is a force multiplyer, and with his buffs Aswin becomes a melee beast. The Healer is a nice Get Out of Jail Free card for many situations. Our party size means we can afford having two pure support characters and still bring a lot of muscle.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-10, 07:56 PM
Thanks everybody! I'll keep the next encounter as-is (aside from upping HD like last time) and see how that goes. I can't take credit for the maps; that was Stack's work. (Thanks again for that.) All I did was adding coordinates, characters, and spell effects in photoshop.

Anyway, I'm working on the next encounter. Hopefully I'll have it up later tonight (though tonight for me is likely after bed or early tomorrow morning for most of you, since I'm on the West Coast).

Do you want the formation to be
{table]Arya|Aswin/Drifa
Arthros|T'riss
August|Isaac[/table]
again (with Aswin/Drifa sticking out a square forward and right)? Does T'riss want to be out ahead any to Spot/Listen for enemies earlier?

stack
2012-05-10, 08:10 PM
Everyone remember you get +2 ac and saves within 10' of Aswin from the magic circle against evil. Not worth it for some, but nice for the melees.

Sallera
2012-05-10, 08:15 PM
We were more like this, actually.
{table]T'riss|Aswin/Drifa
Arthros|Isaac
Arya|August[/table]

Need to keep the squishy people in the middle.

Mahrke
2012-05-10, 09:30 PM
I throw in a vote for having Triss scout ahead while stealthed. The early warning would be quite helpful, and if she gets in real trouble I can use a teleportation power to yank her out of combat and back to us (or have her switch places with someone more meaty).

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-11, 02:15 AM
I know we had a marching order before, but this time Arya's already heading off in front. She could go at the back though again if necessary.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-11, 05:59 AM
I know we had a marching order before, but this time Arya's already heading off in front. She could go at the back though again if necessary.

Okay, I can either roll listen/spot with your mods or someone can call you back IC.

Also, @all, my last post was eaten. I'm not posting the encounter yet since you haven't got scouting/marching order set firmly. (I also said that it was because I needed to go to bed; as you can see by the time stamp, that plan sort of fell apart. :smallsigh:) But I've got my spreadsheet and the map ready.

stack
2012-05-11, 07:17 AM
Scouting is a good idea. As for marching order, As long as Aswin is in front to provide the defensive bonuses and The squishies aren't, then I'm good.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-11, 08:18 AM
Ok, someone should probably call Arya back then, since Triss is probably at her best in a scouting role, and then Aswin can go with her to assist with the Magic circle boost.

Arya will hang at the back then, to protect August, Arthros and Isaac.

Sallera
2012-05-11, 09:24 AM
Although note that you don't need to worry too much about August. With his buffs up, he's no squishier than T'riss.

stack
2012-05-11, 10:26 AM
Going to be away this weekend, so don't let me hold anything up. I doubt it will be an issue anyhow, things usually slow down around here on the weekends.

Fireheart
2012-05-11, 12:59 PM
T'riss is happy to scout. I'd suggest 10 ft in front of the party with one of the more speedy members of the party behind her.

~Fireheart

Sallera
2012-05-11, 02:14 PM
While that's certainly safe, I don't know if I'd really call it scouting. :smalltongue: Probably have to be at least 30ft ahead before we'd see any potential benefit.

Fireheart
2012-05-11, 02:56 PM
Hmm...

Before I move her to 30 ft...what's the range on haste? :)

~T

Mahrke
2012-05-11, 03:41 PM
Its essentially a 30' radius centered on a target of my choice, within Close range.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-11, 09:10 PM
Initiative table:
{table=head]Character|Initiative
Arya|[roll0]
Arthros|[roll1]
T'rissaste|[roll2]
Isaac|[roll3]
Aswin|[roll4]
August|[roll5]
Badguys|[roll6][/table]

So the order is:

Arya
Aswin
Arthros
Badguys
T'riss
August
Isaac

Isaac manifested swiftness, so T'riss jumps up.

Arya
T'riss
Aswin
Arthros
Badguys
August
Isaac

And don't forget the surprise round.

Mahrke
2012-05-11, 09:59 PM
Phew, I pierced Triss' spell resistance with my Swiftness power. I didn't bother rolling for haste because I assume she is going to lower her SR in the surprise round, and I go after her.

PS: Couple changes on the class based upon experience thus far.

-Upped cost of the Mass enhancement on Swiftness to 3 from 1, making it harder to just make your entire party go first.

-Potency I on Parallax got reduced to a 2 point increase, bringing it even with Displacment, but, once again, upped the cost of the Mass enhancement to 2, from 1.

-Finally, changed Reflex to a 10 minute/level duration, and increased the cost of Potency augment to 6, instead of 4. It just wasn't worthwhile as a short-term buff, but could see usage as a medium-term buff. This might also lead to the removal of the Enhance augment's extra granted swift action if it proves too powerful.

PPS: All this pending your approval, of course.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-11, 11:21 PM
PS: Couple changes on the class based upon experience thus far.

[snip]

PPS: All this pending your approval, of course.

Let me review them; I'll have an answer tomorrow.

(why did I take improved initiative?)

You can retrain next level if you'd like (though could be handy for buffs). I've never played a healer (class or role) or I would have mentioned it before we started.

Sallera
2012-05-12, 12:31 AM
I assume the Caul was August's surprise round; he'll take a 5ft step northwest as well, placing him on the north side of the party.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-12, 06:14 AM
Position: behind Isaac, so T6. She then moves up to 70ft until she discovers an enemy.
If she meets as enemy she will attack.

Attack Roll: I point in Power Attack: [roll0] (with an additional +1 if Inspire Courage affects her)
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] of fire damage.

You only get a move action or a standard action (plus a swift) on the surprise round.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-12, 07:57 AM
You only get a move action or a standard action (plus a swift) on the surprise round.

Urrgghh. Obviously got a bit carried away there. Well she'll just run super fast towards the sounds and be prepared to full attack on the normal round.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-12, 08:18 AM
do the baddies come into view when I move next to our forward scout? If so keep moving until I reach them.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-13, 03:37 AM
do the baddies come into view when I move next to our forward scout? If so keep moving until I reach them.

couldn't I have moved an extra 5 or 10 feet towards the zombie? Such a shame not to get a full attack when both Drifa and Aswin are hasted :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2012-05-13, 03:41 AM
I missed that post. :smallconfused: You can be at L6-M7 instead, if you want. (At M6-N7 you wouldn't be able to see it.)

Fireheart
2012-05-13, 07:21 AM
Attack Rolls since I messed them up.

crossbow
[roll0]

rapier
[roll1]

Woot! Critical on the rapier...can the maggots be criticaled?

~Fireheart

Fireheart
2012-05-13, 07:23 AM
And just in case...

[roll0]

~fireheart

Mahrke
2012-05-13, 10:52 AM
Just used a Prescience Die on Arya. Turned her natural 1 into a natural 20. She'll need to roll to confirm her critical hit, as well as rolling for the extra damage. Finally, if this kills the maggot, she'll get a cleave on the other one.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-13, 11:23 AM
A vision flashes before Isaac's eyes, sudden clarity granted. Why was it he dreamt of the furred warrior so often?

Got to say this made me smile.

So confirm critical threat: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Jeff the Green
2012-05-13, 02:10 PM
And just in case...

[roll]

~fireheart

Maggots are susceptible to crits, but you still have to confirm: [roll0]

Jeff the Green
2012-05-14, 01:26 AM
Alright. Assuming I've got your ACs correct, I need a DC 12 Fort from everybody vs. paralysis, an additional DC 14 Fort from T'riss vs. paralysis, and a DC 12 Fort from Isaac vs. poison.

Mahrke
2012-05-14, 01:33 AM

Jeff the Green
2012-05-14, 01:48 AM
You still need to make another fortitude save.

Mahrke
2012-05-14, 01:48 AM
Fort Save v. Poison: [roll0]

Forgot the second save! Anywho, Tranposition will make Isaac switch places with Arya, putting him at f9, and her at s6. She can make a will save if she wants to resist this effect (DC 18).

Jeff the Green
2012-05-14, 02:19 AM
How did you take 15 on that concentration check?

Edit: Oh yeah, prescience.

Mahrke
2012-05-14, 02:37 AM
Nono. You can expend your psionic focus to take 15 on any concentration check. That's actually the out-of-the-box use of a psionic focus.

PS: I only have one more Prescience die left: a 17.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-14, 02:45 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

hm, now what will a paladin do when both to the left and to the right are people in trouble? I might just as well kill the zombie next to me now cause if I don't he'll just attack the people I don't support. Though if I see someone paralized I'll likely move to help them.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-14, 05:47 AM
Ok, not sure if Arya did kill the Maggot or not: so would that count as a cleave opportunity?

Fort save vs Screech: [roll0] +3 for Mass Conviction. so 14.

Edit: Really...? So yay!

Arya won't resist the swappy spell, but Isaac's now awfully close to half a worm, and Triss is already being swarmed again (it's not fun being a scout it seems) so the professor may need to start running as well :smalltongue:

Lastly, this is a passive Knight ability (first time of played the class) so I thought I'd put it here since I'm not sure when to mention it, but:
Bulwark of Defense: When an enemy begins its turn threatened by Arya, then it treat's all squares that Arya threatens as difficult terrain.
Thought this might be relevant now. (or at least in the zombies' go).

stack
2012-05-14, 07:32 AM
Is everyone including the mass conviction bonus to their saves? edit- Arya made the save w/ the plus three. (Thus saving another casting of remove paralysis)

fort [roll0] (7 base, +3 mass conviction)

As for the improved initiative, I'm not sure what I would take in its place anyway and it could prove useful sometimes. I'll think about it when the time comes.

Sallera
2012-05-14, 09:01 AM
Fort: [roll0]

Fireheart
2012-05-14, 09:15 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Triss's two fort saves. w/ conviction.

Fireheart
2012-05-14, 09:29 AM
Damage Rolls for Triss

[roll0]

[roll1]

~Fireheart

Mahrke
2012-05-14, 03:53 PM
Hmm...y'know, what I decided to Transpo, I was actually making a choice between doing that for cheapo power points, or going with the more expensive Dimension Hop. I am regretting not choosing Dimension Hop now. I should've just hopped everyon into a cluster in the middle so our beef could get between the monsters and me.

Hopefully the worm and zombie and vargouille will ignore me <.<

PS: I think the maggot is still alive an well. Doctor the Green is just going along with the fluff I attached to my prescience die (I honestly thought a crit would kill the thing outright, but didn't factor in that sooo much of your damage doesn't get multiplied on a crit).

Jeff the Green
2012-05-14, 09:56 PM
AoOs on Aswin:

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Z1 trip check: [roll4]
Z4 trip check: [roll5]

Jeff the Green
2012-05-14, 10:37 PM
Z4's Will: [roll0]

I think the maggot is still alive an well. Doctor the Green is just going along with the fluff I attached to my prescience die (I honestly thought a crit would kill the thing outright, but didn't factor in that sooo much of your damage doesn't get multiplied on a crit).

Correct. It's alive, if not well. Arya took off enough of its HP (like 90%, I think) that bifurcation seemed an appropriate description.

Also, a note. When you guys need to roll multiple saves, skill checks, attack/damage rolls, etc. in the same post, please specify which is which. If I were feeling ornery, I'd say that the first roll in Fireheart's post was for the attack that happened first, which has the higher DC. This time I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, but it would be statistically invalid to do so in the future.

Mahrke
2012-05-14, 11:08 PM
Okay, I've been putting this off, but I need to figure out a way to deal with it.

Immediate actions. I have lots of them, and I want to use one now. This time, its pretty simple: Vesper is gonna activate Protection Devotion to shove Isaac's (And all those in a 30' radius) AC up by 3, protecting him from both attacks.

This doesn't help for most immediate actions though. On the one hand, using an immediate action Tranposition or something -really- screws with the combat order of the critters, and can end up being not only taxing for the DM, but will invariably slow down the game. So far, I only have one idea for immediate actions:

I could post immediate actions I want to take in the round previous, sort've like contigencies (IE: If the zombie attacks me, I will Transposition with Arya). This suffers in that it can only affect things I successfully predict, and I don't get the benefit of seeing the die result when deciding whether I want to actually take an immediate.

This is probably the best course, unless someone else has a better idea. Using immediate actions after the fact has the downside in the opposite direction in that, even if it isn't something like transposition that would screw with Green's action choices, I have the unfair advantage of seeing all the rolls and results coming at me (for instance, I can see that a use of Protection Devotion will prevent both attacks against me. Granted, this is something I coudl've figured out without actually seeing results, and just the rolls, but its still an issue.)

TL;DR: I'm using Vesper's Protection Devotion. Immediate Actions are a pain.

All in a 30' radius around O9 gain +3 sacred AC. Trissaste is teleported to L7.

Mahrke
2012-05-14, 11:30 PM
Fuuu, spell resistance.

[roll0]

Edit: Replacing with my 17 from my final prescience die because I'm too lazy to retype stuff. GOD DAMN SPELL RESISTANCE.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-14, 11:44 PM
@Mahrke
What is the psi concentration augment? I don't see it on the chronomancer sheet and can't find any reference to it via google. Also, I thought you used all your prescience dice (one in the last battle, one for your concentration, one for Arya's attack).

Mahrke
2012-05-14, 11:50 PM
You missed one of my previous OOC posts. Me taking 15 on concentration is not my prescience die. Its me expending my psionic focus to take 15 on a concentration check. Anyone that -has- a psionic focus can do it. Psi Concentration is just an attempt at shorthanding that I'm using my psionic focus on this. I can write it differently if it throws you off.

PS: DC on my Hop is actually 21, I miscalculated.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-14, 11:53 PM
Ah. No, that's fine. I just haven't used psionics before and didn't know you could do that and missed your explanatory post.

Edit: Okay, immediate actions.

The problem with doing them post hoc is that it can change what the enemies do. In this case it doesn't since the maggots are mindless and couldn't recognize that it's be better to attack T'riss, but in any other case it would require me to go back and edit what they do, by which time the other players may have posted assuming the original post is accurate.

So in general I'm going to say you (you plural, as in all of y'all) need to post if...then statements if you want to use immediate actions. If something comes up that you feel you absolutely need to use an immediate action, you can, but do so judiciously because it makes a lot of work for everyone else. This may change depending on how it works.

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 01:10 AM
Will do, I'll start adding triggers for immediate actions under a spoiler in my per-rounds. I'll list them in order of importance in case multiple triggers occur and I only have a single immediate.

In addition, I'll only use post-hoc immediates if they won't affect combat decisions on your part (Protection Devotion is a great example of this, as it grants the +3 AC to all allies within 30', meaning that it wouldn't make any target -more- desireable unless they were far away), or, if the immediate action in question is in response to something really important (preventing a character death, mostly.)

Thankfully, it isn't so much of a problem at these levels, as manifesting my immediate action powers is fairly costly.

stack
2012-05-15, 07:11 AM
Regarding immediate actions - as I posted before, close wounds will be automatic anytime someone in in danger of dieing.

Also, let me know anytime anyone wants healing or status removal.

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 10:09 AM
Arya, remember to take your free basic attack from my Linked Opportunity. I triggered at the beginning of my turn this round.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-15, 10:33 AM
AoOs on Z4

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Jeff the Green
2012-05-15, 10:37 AM
Regarding immediate actions - as I posted before, close wounds will be automatic anytime someone in in danger of dieing.

Yup, I remember. And speaking of which, if anyone has any "standing orders" for immediate actions they want to give, why don't you let me know and I'll file them away in the first post so I don't forget.

Also, so everyone knows, Z5 wasn't destroyed by Arya's cleave, but it was by her full attack. Z4 was destroyed by Aswin's AoOs and August's attack.

Maggot Will save: [roll0] dead from falling damage if failed. Alas, we hardly knew ye.

stack
2012-05-15, 11:20 AM
I'm just waiting on T'riss to save versus paralysis. My favorite patient.:smallbiggrin:

We need to have a little chat about your emergency medical coverage. Going to have to institute a co-pay, maybe some coverage caps.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-15, 11:24 AM
Also disease. I forgot to mention that for the zombie attacks. :smallamused: (DC 13, incubation immediate, damage sickened/special)

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 11:26 AM
I think the co-pay needs to be lowering that damn spell resistance. Y'know, I've never really thought about SR screwing friendly spells, and I've never played a game where we even enforced this rule...but thinking about it...wow! SR is more of a disadvantage than an advantage if you have friendly casters. Just another nitpick at 3.5, I s'pose.

Also, my only standing order at current is:

If a foe casts projectile-like spell (Such as fireball, or any non-ray weapon-like spell) of at least second level, then use Delay (unaugmented).

Projectile-like is really up to you for what's inclusive. Really anything that, by flavor, has travel time. Even if its a short travel time.

PS: Are ray spells instant? Travel-time wise, I mean. I'm waffling on whether they should be included or not. Leaning towards no, as they seem like they'd be a 'speed of light' type effect.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-15, 11:32 AM
If a foe casts projectile-like spell (Such as fireball, or any non-ray weapon-like spell) of at least second level, then use Delay (unaugmented).

Alright, but you'll have to make a spellcraft check to know whether it's second-level or not.

Edit: Do you mean on you, or on any ally?

Edit2: And what about spell-likes or supernatural abilities?

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 11:38 AM
Any spell, spell-like, or supernatural ability targeted on myself or an ally.

If I fail the spellcraft check needed as part of this to determine level, then I will choose to use Delay anyway (better safe than sorry).

Edit: Edited power to note that is should also affect spell-like and supernatural abilities. Added Mass effect as a two point augment (stops one additional projectile fired as part of same action, such as a Full-Round attack, or a Twinned spell).

As always, please let me know if you see anything that concerns you from a balance perspective!

Jeff the Green
2012-05-15, 11:40 AM
Sounds good. And I agree on ray spells: they're truly instantaneous. Magic missile, on the other hand, would count (though it'd only stop one missile).

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 11:43 AM
Now, the thing with Magic Missile is, while I could delay it one round, it would still seek them unerringly (unless they gained full cover against it), so its not the best choice.

PS: Adding line "projectile from a projectile-like spell" to specify it will only stop one magic missile when concerning spells of that nature.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-15, 11:46 AM
So shall we say a non-seeking, level 2 or above, projectile-like spell, SLA, or SuA?

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 11:48 AM
Sounds pretty accurate to me!

Fireheart
2012-05-15, 11:59 AM
I'm just waiting on T'riss to save versus paralysis. My favorite patient.:smallbiggrin:

We need to have a little chat about your emergency medical coverage. Going to have to institute a co-pay, maybe some coverage caps.

Sorry. Training yesterday.

Let me catch up on reading and I'll post something.

~T

stack
2012-05-15, 12:00 PM
Not going to try to cure disease mid-fight. Too many infectious zombies to do that, just be a spell and action drain.

Arthros AOO [roll0]
damage[roll1] (just in case that would drop Z$ before it attacked Arthros
save vs disease [roll2]

Fireheart
2012-05-15, 12:26 PM
Okay...and just double checking...

Z1's attack would have missed so I don't take that damage, right?

Fort Save vs M1's poison

[roll0]]

Fort Save vs Disease from Zombies
[roll1]

Edit: Yeah!!! a not failed roll vs Paralysis...and I'm far enough away to skirmish?? Happy Drow.

And I'm currently in L7 rather than G7?

~Fireheart

And yes, I completely agree having SR in friendly spells is a bit of a pain. hadn't considered that when I made the Drow. :) I will do some checking to see if there is a "feat" or other skill that lets me lower that SR as a swift action. :)

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 02:40 PM
You are indeed in L7, with a pretty good opportunity to skirmish the foes I pulled you out of this turn. Since Aswin is also going after them, you won't be alone.

Fireheart
2012-05-15, 02:56 PM
Thanks will go play now.

~Fireheart

Edited: Okay, I'm willing to bet 13 didn't hit either baddie. If it did let me know and I'll reroll the skirmish...since unless math has suddenly changed, 2d6 cant equal 13. :(

~f

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 03:44 PM
Two things.

1: Isaac is currently pretty safe sitting in square M8, which is beside the rest of the group. This doesn't really affect your actions, except what range Prot Devo will be affecting you.

2: I think you rolled a d26 for your skirmish damage instead of 2d6. D'oh!

Edit: Sarnath'd

Fireheart
2012-05-15, 04:23 PM
Cool! I think I'm okay in terms of actions though.

re: d26 Yeah...I cannot seem to make a post w/ rolls where I get all the rolls in one post right. :smallredface:

~Fireheart

Jeff the Green
2012-05-15, 04:27 PM
That's alright. In TFO's game I keep messing up my damage rolls. Even though I'm basically doing the same thing each round.

And yes, 13 misses both of them.

TheFallenOne
2012-05-15, 05:13 PM
ts, you got it easy. I remember my Neverending Dungeon character, mass natural weapons with Knowledge Devotion, Power Attack, Whirling Frenzy, Martial Maneuver boosts and Essentia enhancement bonus. Was quite a hassle figuring out my modifiers every turn. Once, I used 56 roll tags for a single turn post O.o

Mahrke
2012-05-15, 07:06 PM
Posting for visibility: Drifa has a free attack from Opportunity.

Fireheart
2012-05-16, 11:25 AM
On the off chance, the Zombie is dead and I get to actually use that critical on m1 or v1

additional crit damage
[roll0]

~fireheart

TheFallenOne
2012-05-16, 11:45 AM
AoOs on Z1
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Opportunity: Drifa attacks Z2
[roll4] [roll5] [roll6]

does that destroy Z1 or Z2?

Jeff the Green
2012-05-16, 12:34 PM
The AoOs destroy Z1. I'm assuming then that Arya attacks Z2, which combined with Drifa's attack destroys Z2. T'riss's attacks go to M1, which is still alive, as is V1.

Fireheart
2012-05-16, 12:53 PM
Cool!

Is Triss currently at 21/42? If so, I'll wait to heal since SR can be lowered out of combat. If she's worse than that, add 1 for the healing aura and Arthros will move to I-9 and CLW for 19 HP (20 total)

CL check [roll0]

I think I'm actually at 11 of 42 based on the last attack ZI getting through her AC.

I forgot to save the character sheet after the last round.

~Fireheart

stack
2012-05-16, 01:32 PM
Does 16 beat the SR? (I think so, 11+ HD =16) If so, you are at 31. If not, than I wasted a spell.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-16, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that beats her SR.

AoO on Aswin from M1: [roll0] [roll1] Yep, that's a miss.

Mahrke
2012-05-16, 02:16 PM
Your monsters are rolling poorly lately! Good thing too, I think any hits on Triss during last round would've downed her.

Sallera
2012-05-16, 02:30 PM
Jeff, is it dark enough out that we'd require darkvision to see without August's light?

Mahrke
2012-05-16, 03:40 PM
Posting for visibility. Trissaste is gaining +2 AC, Reflex, and Uncanny Dodge upgrades to Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Also Fireheart, your rolls are bad and you should feel bad.

Fireheart
2012-05-16, 03:40 PM
[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently

[roll2] spot
[roll3] listen

Fixing rolls.

And player lets out breath she'd been holding.

~Fireheart

Fireheart
2012-05-16, 03:41 PM
Posting for visibility. Trissaste is gaining +2 AC, Reflex, and Uncanny Dodge upgrades to Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Also Fireheart, your rolls are bad and you should feel bad.

:( I do. I swear I can't get a single post to get all right. On the other hand, that last set of rolls is pretty nice.

Maybe I just need to post all my rolls over here...I have much more luck.

~Fireheart

Sallera
2012-05-16, 04:12 PM
If it's properly dark out, I was actually going to suggest that August do the scouting; he'd be effectively invisible, so he could safely range a good deal further ahead, and hopefully avoid having us surrounded again.

Jeff the Green
2012-05-16, 04:28 PM
Jeff, is it dark enough out that we'd require darkvision to see without August's light?

Not quite. It is very dark though, and will soon become too dark to see at all. In addition, as you progress into the city, which seems to continue to slope downward, the fog gets worse (anything 5' away or more has concealment).

===================

For all of you, what did you think? I'm fairly happy with my excel spreadsheet--it made keeping track of damage and AoOs much easier--so I'll keep it for the next encounter and make changes from there.

I'm a little torn on the difficulty of the enemies, though. T'riss had a rough time, but Arya's, Aswin's, Drifa's, and to some extend Triss's ACs are high enough they don't have to worry about attacks all that much.

I think the DCs might be a bit low too. Before this last encounter I did the math and figured that there was about a 50/50 chance of the vargouille's screech paralyzing someone, which seems to be what the designers were planning since they sent two of them, but I hadn't counted on Arthros's buffs, which made failure nearly impossible for everyone but Isaac.

Mahrke
2012-05-16, 05:23 PM
I'd like to chime in with a bit of advice I often give to players, rather than DMs, but I think its applicable here.

I hate group-wide stat buffs. Hate them. Why? Because they don't do anything. That +3 to saves? Useless. +3 to AC from Protection Devotion? Not really.

You see, when you bump the entire group's saves, or AC, or attack, or anything really, you force the DM to react by increasing DCs, AC, or attack on the monster's end to keep things challenging. Its one thing to have one guy in your party with 4 extra AC. That just means he's tough, and a bad target. The DM can still hit other people. But when -everyone- is 'X' amount tougher in some regard, the DM is forced to just raise the opponents stats by X, and your spell, feat, or class feature becomes an illusion. Something to make you feel better about big numbers, but, ultimately, pointless.

That said, the DM -does- need to do this, so don't feel too shy about it. However, 'ware going to far. If anything gets in on your casters, and they've been tuned to threaten Aswin and Arya? Well, it'll probably end up with us rerolling in short order.

Finally, keep in mine just how -bad- paralyze is. Its essentially a death spell against smart foes, because they can CDG you. Especially if they act on the same turn, and a members gets paralyzed by something, and then CDG'd by the foe standing next to them. Its okay that we're unlikely to fail the save against something that could be that vicious.

stack
2012-05-16, 07:26 PM
These buffs are the only active thing I've got, everything else is reactive (active, not proactive, which is a stupid word that should be taken out and shot).

Besides, if people had failed rolls vs paralysis (which is really nasty) Arthros would have just cured it instead of spending actions in other ways, basically trading third level slots for first level slots. His only other important action was healing T'riss, and even that could have waited a round.

Basically, two 3rd level buffs prevented needing X 1st level status removals.

Mahrke
2012-05-16, 07:35 PM
As an addendum, you're doing great so far, the combat is going quite smoothly, especially for a play-by-post game! So, even if you might fret about difficulty, you're at least doing it right.

As a little PS: I'm down to about half my power points, so, in that regard, you are doing it right, forcing me to expend the appropriate amount of power points in every encounter.