PDA

View Full Version : How about a big goron hug, brother? [3.5 race+paragon]

Admiral Squish
2012-04-29, 01:02 AM
Gorons

http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/7/79/Goron_(Twilight_Princess).png

Personality: Gorons are calm and generally placid. They want for little, though they are always hungry for more delicious rocks. Some will sleep for years on end. However, there is a small number of them that have more fiery temperaments, and these fierce gorons often end up in positions of power as chieftains, heroes, and adventurers.
Physical Description: Gorons are large and heavy, significantly taller than humans. An adult goron is usually at least seven feet tall, though gorons continue to grow as long as they have plenty to eat. Some gorons can even grow to the size of titans. They have thick, earth-toned skin, with wide faces, brown eyes, and often a round belly. Their back and the top of their head are covered with stony growths that provide them protection against injury.
Relations: Gorons are generally peaceful and they get along well with other races. However, their tendancy to live in barren, rocky areas of the mountain, often areas with volcanic activity and very few plants, means visitors must often provide their own food. Most gorons will refer to other gorons, even gorons from other mountains, as brother. Occasionally a visitor who performs some great deed or service for the gorons will be named an honorary brother of the gorons.
Alignment: Gorons are usually Good, with no strong tendency toward law or chaos.
{table=head]|L|N|C
G |15|20|15
N |10|15|10
E |5|5|5[/table]
Goron Lands: Gorons live in rocky, rugged, mountainous areas that most other races would find inhospitable. The goron’s diet of rocks means they tend to settle in places with little or no vegetation. Volcanic rocks are prized as especially delicious, and as such they will often settle in volcanic regions where these rocks are plentiful. Gorons plant one crop, the bomb flower, a hardy plant that produces a large, explosive seed pod that the gorons use to help them dig out new tunnels.
Religion: Gorons worship spirits of earth and fire, and the spirits of their ancestors. They don’t worship gods as such, though they may somewhat deify powerful elementals they encounter.
Language: Gorons speak their own language which they speak with deep rumbles from the chest and throat, sometimes punctuating their speech by stomping or thumping their chests.
Names: Goron names are usually guttural, with syllabic, vowel-heavy sounds. Go, Ru, Da, and Ko are all common sounds in goron names.
Adventurers: Goron adventurers are usually those gorons with more firey dispositions. Most goron adventurers will go through the goron paragon class, as the abilities it grants are seen as definitive of a goron hero.

Goron Racial Traits
+6 strength, -4 dexterity, +6 Constitution, -4 intelligence
Monstrous Humanoid: Gorons are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Medium: As Medium creatures, gorons have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Goron base land speed is 20 feet
Racial Hit Dice: A goron begins with two levels of monstrous Humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +0.
Racial Skills: A goron’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Climb, Listen, and Spot.
Racial Feats: A goron’s monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat.
+4 natural armor
Natural Weapons: 2 Slams (1d6). Slams are treated as adamantine weapons for overcoming damage reduction, and ignore hardness 10 or lower.
Powerful Build: The physical stature of a goron lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever an goron is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the goron is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A goron is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A goron can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Damage Reduction. A Goron gains damage reduction equal to ½ their HD. This damage reduction is overcome by adamantine weaponry.
Immunity to Fire
Stone Body: A gornon’s body is partially mineral-based. A goron has a 25% chance to negate the extra damage of a critical hit or sneak attack, and is immune to poison. However, gorons are too heavy to swim, meaning they automatically fail all swim checks. Gorons eat nutritious rocks, meaning that rations cost double. A Stone to Flesh spell removes the goron’s damage reduction, fortification, and reduces natural armor to 0 for one minute per class level. Flesh to stone restores the natural armor, damage reduction and fortification. If a goron is not affected by a stone to flesh spell when targeted by a flesh to stone spell, the goron’s DR doubles and they become immune to critical hits for one minute per caster level.
Curl: As a move action, a goron can curl into a ball. While curled, the goron cannot attack or cast spells, but they gain a number of bonuses. While curled a goron’s natural armor bonus to AC increases by 4, and they can roll along the ground at a speed of 40 feet.
+1 LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goron Paragon:

Hit Die: d10
Skill Points: 4+int
Class Skills: The goron paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0| Natural Armor increase

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0| Fearsome Roll

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1| Ability Boost (+2 Strength)
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Goron paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Natural Armor Increase (Ex): A goron paragon’s natural armor increases by +2.

Fearsome Roll (Su): At 2nd level, a goron paragon rolls faster and harder than other gorons. While curled, a goron paragon rolls at a speed of 60 feet, and while rolling a goron paragon gains a trample attack that affects creatures of medium size or smaller and deals 2d6 points of damage.

Ability Boost (Ex): At 3rd level, a goron paragon’s strength score increases by two points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bomb Flowers
Bomb Flowers are low-growing, fernlike plants that typically grow in rocky, rugged areas. They are best known for their flowers and seedpods. The seedpods are extremely hard, black orbs about twelve inches in diameter, capped with a firey red-orange flower. These seedpods have a unique adaptation that allows them to defend themselves and spread their seeds far and wide. They explode, violently, if struck, dealing 8d6 points of damage to everything within 10 feet. Creatures within the area can make a reflex save DC 15 to take half damage. They also have a useful function. If the pod is picked off it’s plant, with a standard action DC 15 strength check, it explodes two rounds later. You can throw a bomb flower as a standard action with a range increment of 10 feet. A thrown bomb flower explodes wherever it strikes. As such, a bomb flower is a ranged touch attack. A creature struck by a bomb flower does not get a reflex save for half damage. Targeting a square of ground means hitting an AC of 10. A skillful craftsman can stop the detonation of a bomb flower with a DC 20 craft (weaponsmithing) check as a full-round action. These defused bomb flowers can then be converted into proper bombs. These bombs can be ignited as a move action and explode the following round.

Admiral Squish
2012-04-29, 01:09 AM
Hey, folks, more homebrew! I'm gonna finish all the main zelda races over the next couple days. I'm actually doing this with a goal in mind, unlike most of my work. Specifically, I'm going to be making the masks of majora as magic items and I need racial stats for the big three.

Sypher667
2012-04-29, 08:35 PM
Specifically, I'm going to be making the masks of majora as magic items and I need racial stats for the big three.

That sounds awesome. I'll be keeping my eye out.

As is, this looks really good. I was surprised you didnt include the rolling over and damaging part of the roll, but the paragon took care of that nicely. Had you thought of having it accelerate, as per the rolling before? After all, you dont just start rolling fast, you work up to it. Maybe as a feat? Either way, youre off to a good start with this guy.

Admiral Squish
2012-04-30, 03:06 PM
That sounds awesome. I'll be keeping my eye out.

As is, this looks really good. I was surprised you didnt include the rolling over and damaging part of the roll, but the paragon took care of that nicely. Had you thought of having it accelerate, as per the rolling before? After all, you dont just start rolling fast, you work up to it. Maybe as a feat? Either way, youre off to a good start with this guy.

Yeah, the idea was that link takes the form of a goron hero who has abilities above and beyond the ones an average goron would have. I had considered acceleration, but firstly I really wasn't sure of how to do it in mechanical terms, and then I decided that if I wasn't going to make up a magic power mechanic, then I wasn't going to bother with making it 100% accurate. It works fine as-is, I think.

And I'm glad you're looking forward to it!

Morph Bark
2012-04-30, 04:21 PM
I like your take on the Gorons. I see a lot of similarity with my own version, but you have them less Lawful-inclined and I really like how Stone to Flesh can remove some of their immunities temporarily. I may wish to snag that in the future. :smalltongue:

Overall, kudos on a real fine job!

Admiral Squish
2012-05-01, 12:25 AM
I like your take on the Gorons. I see a lot of similarity with my own version, but you have them less Lawful-inclined and I really like how Stone to Flesh can remove some of their immunities temporarily. I may wish to snag that in the future. :smalltongue:

Overall, kudos on a real fine job!

I'd say it was eerie how close the two were, but then I realized we were both working off the same base so it's only to be expected. I'm glad you liked the things I tried, too.

Thanks!