PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Demon Hunter build (Ranger)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-04-29, 03:26 AM
This is something i am considering for PFS play, but i feel as though it could use a little more.. something, Im not sure what. Tell me what you think!

Ranger

STR 14
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 8

1 Power Attack
1 Quick Draw
3 Deadly Aim
5 Cleave
7 Iron Will
9 Imp. Initiative
11 Weapon Focus: longsword/ Boon Companion?

Ranger Combat Style
2 Rapid Shot
6 Manyshot
10 Imp. Precise Shot

Favored Enemy:
1 Evil Outsider
5 Undead
10 Aberration

level 1 equipment: (150 gp to spend)
Longbow
Longsword
Kikko Armor (+5 AC, +4 Dex, medium armor)
Pathfinder Adventurer Kit

This build obviously owes a lot to Treantmonk's switch hitter build. However, i have leaned more towards ranged (with stat distribution anyway) due to the danger that undead and outsiders provide in melee ranged, specifically level draining and such.

I have chosen longsword as my melee weapon for two reasons: the first being that sometimes you need a free hand to hold a rope, item, or what have you. Secondly, a longsword is a common magical weapon to find, which is more important in PFS play. You don't necessarily get to pick and choose your weapons and the accompanying magical properties. Longsword seems like a good bet.

I am using with Kikko armor to start with. breastplate is too expensive at level 1 for PFS play. Also, Kikko armor only costs 30 gp.

Feat wise, Boon Companion seems a powerful choice. However, I dislike putting much investment into an animal companion. Speaking of which, i would choose a small cat. (leopard, cougar, etc)

Role play wise, this guy would be studying books on the anatomy of demons and undead, studying for tips to more effectively destroy them. He would roam about from town to town protecting people from the dangers such foes bring.

Any tips, hints, or Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Bhaakon
2012-04-29, 05:48 AM
I'd strongly advise you to go the melee-first route here, or else pure archer. But if you can't be swayed:

The cleave line without greater cleave and reach isn't really worth it, IMO. Particularly if you're going to focus on archery. Drop it and take hammer the gap instead (every scrap of bonus damage helps, and that's 10 extra damage on a 5-hit full attack, and you can use it melee as well). Ditto for weapon focus, you'll want to forget about it and take boon companion as early as possible.

I'd also suggest dropping improved initiative and iron will (the loss of which can be mitigated somewhat by the Reactionary and Carefully hidden traits) in favor of Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot. Why? Because 1) even at level 11, that -4 for shooting into melee is going to hurt (and improved precise shot doesn't get rid of it); 2) you're likely going to want to take clustered shots to help bypass DR, and those are its prerequisites.

Another thing is that you animal companion is going to struggle to pierce the DR of outsiders. Wish I had an easy solution for that. All I can suggest is to take a animal companion with a higher Con than small cat (I'd go Wolf, since it also has great strength, one big attack to help get through DR, and the extra bonus of a free trip attack, but Badgers with their rage ability also make a decent meat shield), deck it out in the best armor you can, and let it tank while you deal the real damage from range.