PDA

View Full Version : Help me lay seige to a village of minotaurs

Lord Loss
2012-04-29, 10:21 AM
Here's the situation. A village of Half-Minotaurs (From Dungeon Magazine) with CRs ranging from 1-4, mostly around 2, with levels in totemist or monk, have rebelled against one of the most powerful empires in the game world, which is an Oriental-style, LN empire that worships snakes.

The PCs:

Level 4 Cleric
Level 6 Rogue/Fighter
Level 3 Duskblade (who will probably gain a free template soonish as a reward for some plot stuff and to catch him up)
Level 6 Ranger

The PCs are allied with a level 8 NPC Wizard that they freed from posession two sessions ago.

The players have roughly one-hundred warriors at their disposal, and I want to challenge them without destroying them. What sorts of monsters and enemies should I throw at them, and in what quanitity? They are hiding out on an island, and they're making networks of spider holes with warriors hidden in them (they've been training them to use a rudimentary version of sneak attack).

IncoherentEssay
2012-04-29, 12:36 PM
Just to clarify, which side are the PCs on? I assume they are on the minotaurs side, but it could be read either way.

Anyways, assuming the PCs are fighting alonside the minotaurs, their contribution in traditional headbashing is kind of overshadowed by the minos, so i think it's best to have them face enemies the minotaurs can't really deal with, such as fliers or incorporeals (the npc wizard ally is probably not too keen to risk his neck directly, but would likely be happy to hand out Gtr Magic Weapon and Fly spells for these). Knowing more about the characters capabilities would help a lot here.

Applying the Half-(Green)Dragon template to Huge Vipers creates nice CR 5 "sky-serpents" for the party to hunt down before their ground force gets dissolved.

Incorporeals are a bit tougher to muster for a LN empire, though honor-bound "Not even in Death does Duty end!" ghost-warriors could do the trick. Ghostly Grasp to carry their old arms and armor with them to battle, and Corruptin Gaze can quickly knock out low-Cha minotaurs.

If the PCs have put significant effort into training the minotaurs into a proper fighting force, i feel it's best to allow them to mop up without much difficulty once their hard counters have been dealt with, gives a nice worth-the-effort feel to it.