PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Setting : Science-Fiction elements

Cikomyr
2012-04-29, 11:25 AM
In my regular reading of Game of Thrones series, I often toy with the idea that Valyria's supermagical thingies (the metal, the stonebuilding, the roadbuilding, etc...) were not necessarily magic, but more like realization of very high tech craftsmanship.

The thing you have to remember is that such realizations don't necessarily have to respect our own modern world's science. They are made-up science, but they are still scientific and non-magical incarnation. This doesn't preclude the existence of magic in the setting, just that certain elements that people hold as magical are purely the incarnation of Clarke's Third Law.

For example, Valyrian Blades could be made of Titanium, which the people of Westeros or Essos don't know how to mine or transform into usable alloys. But once it has been shaped into the alloys, primitive craftsmen of the highest order would know how to reshape and reforge the blades.

In the same line of thought, what about the White Walkers? Couldn't they be some sort of Alien Invaders from another world? Not sure how their Wight-creating process works, but they would have some sort of protective fields that protects them against primitive blades, and is only vulnerable to high-tech alloys and.. dragonglass. Well, I haven't figured out that last part, but I think you get the meaning.

What this thread is about is NOT discussing Game of Thrones' Doing in the Wizard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoingInTheWizard). As I said, it's simply an idea I've toyed with, I don't believe it's the case (although the Doom of Valyrian looks like some sort of thermonuclear device).

What this thread is about is finding ways to describe high-tech toys into fantasy/medieval settings without the reader/players (because I want to integrate this in a RPG campaign) picking it up instantly.

Here is an example I believe would would well:

You see the Warrior of Darkness rampage across the battlefield. His Monster Sword roars at the pleasure of rampage, its teeth devouring any weapon, shield or flesh that meets it path. The only sound louder than the screams of the Sword's victims is its warcry of pleasure as it bites savagely into anything in its path.

[...]

After the battle, the Monster Sword seems dead on the side of its previous owner. When you seize it by the handle, it feels heavy, almost alive in your hand. You can feel its heart pulsating, but it grown silent. Only if you put your hand on near the teeth do you wake its bloodlust, tearing whomever was fool enough to tempt the Monster's fangs.

What was it?

A Warhammer 40k Chainsword

Some items would obviously be easier to describe. A power-shield is just a very hardy shield that can divert every blow that came its way.

I'd say the trick is to give a very descriptive but imaginative description of items of people. You could have, for example, a 8-foot tall mighty warrior waving his mace around, unleashing a torrent of flames upon his ennemies.

(Space Marine with a flamethrower).

Any of you ever used such storytelling elements? Have your players ever picked it up? Do you have suggestions for more esoteric technology to be described in a way that readers/players would have a hard time pick it up?

Frozen_Feet
2012-04-29, 12:56 PM
I'm all over blurring lines between sci-fi and fantasy. Often, qualities of my fantastic species are explainable through evolution, as I extrapolate them from real-life species. Often, a legendary sword happens to be so because it's made of chromium steel alloy in a world where other blades are bronze. Alchemy is rooted in actual chemistry, wondrous buildings are result of advanced engineering and materials, so on and so forth.

But it also goes to the other direction. Angels, demons and lost souls come from other planets, the moon, or from below the ground... but they are still angels, demons and lost souls.

In my last campaign, my players ran afoul of gunpowder, vending machines, nuclear reactors, spaceships and aliens. In my current one, the ancient dwarven civilization had steam-powered tanks and drills and enough engineering skill to split a mountain in half and then put it back together. Oh, and submarines, can't forget those.

Aotrs Commander
2012-04-29, 03:38 PM
I'm all over blurring lines between sci-fi and fantasy. Often, qualities of my fantastic species are explainable through evolution, as I extrapolate them from real-life species.

I frequently do this as well, with genetics sometimes being known about (though not in a technical sense, more of a "bloodlines" sort of way. Lasers often make their way in as spells (as after all, that's basically what light damage is, right?) and at least one monster's breath weapon - though not understood by the people's of the world as such - was actually a full-on partical beam.

I tend to mix actual technology in less frequently (though, as I tend to use historical anologues, e.g. the Romans, it's surprising what you can actually come up with that was actually there - and often as surprising as what wasn't.)

Conversely, I mix a lot of fantasy in my sci-fi as well, with the science of magic often better understood - if not more common - once you've got sensors and better ways to analyse it, giving you magic as advanced as your technology. (And for those with access to enough magic, frequently both are used, along with psionics and anything else that's floating around...)

Cikomyr
2012-04-29, 04:00 PM
Thing is, what I was talking about is somewhat the inverse of what you described. A spell that shoots laser beams is sci-fi labelling to classic fantasy elements.

What I talk about, is a fantasy labelling for pure sci-fi elements in a fantasy setting. A laspistol would be seen as a wand. The point is not to give a description that gives away the actual nature of the item. I want the players to treat the fantastic light-spewing artifact like a item of wondrous magical power.

Frozen_Feet
2012-04-30, 05:30 AM
That's what I mostly did. I didn't say "plutonium rod", I said "a staff glowing with green energy". I didn't say "armored glass", I said "transparent barrier resilient to your blows". Instead of train, there was "a great armored wagon spewing steam from a large pipe", so on and so forth.

Cikomyr
2012-04-30, 10:11 AM
That's what I mostly did. I didn't say "plutonium rod", I said "a staff glowing with green energy". I didn't say "armored glass", I said "transparent barrier resilient to your blows". Instead of train, there was "a great armored wagon spewing steam from a large pipe", so on and so forth.

Fair enough, wasnt sure which way you went.

Did your players ever picked up on it?

The Glyphstone
2012-04-30, 10:44 AM
Amusingly, this can backfire sometimes. I remember an incident (minor) way back when I ran a D&D game and they visited a lost city of powerful mages. The first thing they saw was a house built from permanent Walls of Force - indestructible, transparent walls, and they immediately assumed it was 'transparent aluminum' from Star Trek instead of...magic.

Frozen_Feet
2012-05-01, 08:20 AM

Mostly, yes. The vending machines were hardest, they only got it when I illustrated how they work with pantomime. :smallbiggrin:

Frozen_Feet
2012-05-01, 08:21 AM

Mostly, yes. The vending machines were hardest, they only got it when I illustrated how they work with pantomime. :smallbiggrin:

SuperPanda
2012-05-01, 12:23 PM
I'm currently running a game where the players all come from a magical society and have passed through a rift to a new, unexplored material plane.

The new world is composed of several post apocalyptic societies whose magics are all very advanced technologies.

Some of the references they get. (The undead we've encountered so far are actually the Borg.) Others they know something is up but they haven't figured out what it is.

In the kingdom based heavily on Egypt, the elite guardians of Law are the Anubi. Gnoll like beings made of men and jackels. The party knows that young warriors are selected for the honor of becoming Anubi, but they don't know anything more even after discovering metal beds with boxes that had glass faces and lightning trapped inside them forming words.

They know that the NPCs form the new region have magic but their detection spells register a new energy source instead of Arcane or Divine or Psionic (They've figured out this new energy source is radiation).

Currently they're traveling to a holy mountain to retrieve something the locals call the "lightning word" (they believe it to be a holy book) with hopes it will tell them how to get home again.