PDA

View Full Version : New to D&D

mst3k
2012-04-29, 01:37 PM
Hi. I'm new to D&D. I've played a ton of rpg video games in my life tough, and I've always known that my favorite games might have never been if it weren't for dungeons & dragons and LOTR. So I decided to give it a shot. Every few months a buddy of mine comes and stays in town and about 4 of us get together to play Magic (easily my favorite game in general) but they finally talked me into trying out d&d.

It seems like it could be fun and entertaining. But... The two (switching each session/campaign) people who usually DM are... how do I put it... High School drop outs. I've been reading since I was 3, I first picked up the Hobbit around 7. They really don't have the capability to keep my attention, or tell an intriguing story, or create an engaging environment. Don't get me wrong they're great guys. Funny as hell and good to the core, but not everyone is into book learnin'. The one other person in our group who could do this, has no interest. He just wants to play.

So right about now you're probably thinking, "shut up and play with other people." Well, no. We've all decided that I should take a shot at DMing. Which is fine with me, I'm not going to play with other people or turn this into a lifelong thing, so if I am going to enjoy this game, this is how I will be able to. One of two things is happening, though, that are really hampering my understanding of what's what in this game. Either I'm having trouble understanding the mechanics of the game, or they're really bad at teaching someone how to DM. I'm leaning more towards the latter, but I'm positive it's a combination.

Every question I have is usually met with "do what you want, you're the Dm!" And while I understand that ultimately, yes, I am god, I've known that for longer than I've even known about this game; I also understand that this game has rules and more books than the Hardy Boys collection for a reason.

I downloaded a ton of the books the other day, a bunch of third edition stuff, which match the core books my friends have, but I also seem to have downloaded a massive amount of game material for editions and expansions I'll probably never even use. But I don't know where to begin. All the books reference each other and everything is very poorly organized as far as books go. The comprehensive M:tG rule book is easier to read for me than all these volumes.

What would you guys recommend for someone new to and interested in DMing? Where would you guys have an absolute beginner start reading? Any tips that would help newbies? Is there a sort of "rules for dummies" article you found handy, etc and so forth. Thanks.

Vegan Zombie
2012-04-29, 02:59 PM
Honestly, to start all you need to read are the Players Handbook and the Dungeon Masters Guide. The rules (like magic) will come with time. Don't be afraid to lean on these players/dm for rules help while playing.

SillySymphonies
2012-04-29, 04:56 PM
"Lessons from DMing with my GF" (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19905354/Lessons_from_DMing_with_my_GF)
There is no room for pride in DMing. The game is about the players, not the campaign world.
Seriously, above link provides great insight into DMing.

Don't bother too much with the rules for now: read chapter one and eight of the Player's Handbook (PHB) - the rest'll come to you. Just make sure you start at level 1, PHB classes and races only. Once you grow more accustomed to the rules and your role as DM, then you can start worrying about balance and about books beyond the PHB, Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG) and Monster Manual (MM).
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/137/e/AAAAAjA7OpUAAAAAATfiCg.jpg?v=1219442765000http://isbn.abebooks.com/mz/md/91/78/dungeon-master%27s-guide:-core-rulebook-ii/md0786928891.jpghttp://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/137/e/AAAAAh0Z2g4AAAAAATflwA.jpg?v=1219442884000

Good luck! :smallcool:

Fluffy_1.0
2012-04-29, 05:29 PM
My rules for DMing

1. Make sure everyone is on the same page before you start. (Type of game, basic plotline, type of characters allowed, etc.)

2. If the players are happy, the DM will be happy.

3. Physics only applies if it's funny.

4. The rule of cool is very important.

5. The players will think of outragous ideas that will blow your plot out of the water. Let them get away with it if it is remotely reasonable.

6. Have fun, seriously if you aren't having fun nothing else matters.

7. When planning, plan an outline first then fill in details like encounters as players approach them.

8. Collect player feedback after each session and use it tailor the next.

9. Don't be afraid to fudge roles if it protects the fun. Similarly, don't be afraid to beef up HP or bring in reinforcements if monsters are dying too quickly.

10. Start your first campaign at comparatively low level because it's easier to balance encounters.

That's my advice anyways.

rmg22893
2012-04-29, 05:29 PM
The number one rule of DMing is that PCs can and most likely will tear your carefully constructed plot to shreds. D&D is a game with literally an infinite number of choices, if you are doing your job correctly. You need to have contingencies upon contingencies upon contingencies to keep the campaign running smoothly. Don't get too attached to that BBEG or city, because chances are that the PCs may assassinate that NPC or burn that province to the ground, just because they can. In D&D, nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Taelas
2012-04-29, 05:40 PM
The first thing you need to know is the core mechanic -- it's the basis of conflict resolution in 3.5, and it's simple: roll a d20 against a target number, modifying the result with whatever bonuses or penalties you get to the roll. You use this for attacking, using skills, overcoming spell resistance, etc. The specific rules will tell you what bonuses you get to what. (For example, to use the skill Climb to climb a sheer rock surface, I look up the DC -- difficulty class -- for climbing a sheer rock surface in the Player's Handbook under the Climb skill. I know that my skill check is affected by the relevant ability score (in this case, Strength), my skill ranks in Climb, and whatever armor I'm wearing (armor check penalty), then I roll a d20 against the DC, tally up my various bonuses and penalties, and if I equal the number or roll higher, then I succeed in climbing for a round.)

You need the Dungeon Master's Guide to DM; it has the Challenge Rating to XP chart. You can also simply say, "You level now," but this is rarely good for when you're starting out. You also need the Monster Manual (or the System Reference Document (d20srd.org)) to find monsters to pit against your players.

Other than that, you can pick up the details as you play. Knowing the specific spells, races, and classes is something that comes with system mastery, which you can only obtain through reading or playing. Playing's more fun, usually. You don't need to know what a Paladin can do to start DMing (though it certainly helps). If you don't know a given rule (and none of your players do either), don't spend time looking the rule up when you're in the middle of playing. Make a note to yourself to look it up later, and make a ruling on the spot. If your rule makes more sense to you when you have examined the official rule, then you can simply continue using it and add it to your list of house rules. Otherwise, you can use the official rule from then on. Be sure to inform your players either way, of course.

The Player's Handbook has almost everything you need to know regarding combat, while the Monster Manual has everything regarding monsters. The Dungeon Master's Guide is for DM-specific things; stuff that players do not generally need to know. This includes magical items, XP, lists of custom NPCs for dropping into a game, and more general information about how to run a game (such as what makes a setting, the environmental rules, etc.)

The various supplements usually contain new material--spells, classes, feats, monsters, and so on--or they are setting-specific books explaining the details of that setting (which usually includes new material as well). They don't usually change the rules, and so they are not a priority to know for a beginning DM. (I myself have not read many of them cover-to-cover; I simply look up a given class or spell when I need to do so.)