PDA

View Full Version : Daemonic Arial Assault

Red_Dog
2012-04-29, 07:07 PM
Hello everyone ^^. Its that time again that RD came and asked for some brain storming from the good folks on the web ^^. All lyrical speeches aside. Its fun times in teh campaign.

My players are about to have a full on mid-scale skirmish battle...

And I need few ideas for the enemy's side. Namely, I need to make up a wing of daemonic aerial assault division.

So far, they are supported by a squad of Gargoyles [10 w/ 4 scout levels & lieutenant with 6 scout levels[I think, don't have the flash drive on hand]] and so far I settled only the "heavy fighter-bomber" equivalents -> the Vrocks.

3to5 Vrocks would be kept at there current HD10, than I would re-feat them with Quicken SLA[Mirror Image], Multi Attack & I have 2 open slots.
I was thinking about some fly seed improvement.
Supernatural transformation for the teleport[so they can always leave].
Reverberation+Ability Focus is nice[for once I would actually get to use that feat! ^^], but the sonic attack is not too powerful as the stun duration is short.

As per equipment, I won't go for "invisible silent dance of ruin", or at least not now as that's waaay to mean hehe ^^. I was thinking a golf bag of things to toss from the sky. Perhaps few packs of Large Spears?[I know that the colossal xbow bolt is the most efficient way to go about it, I won't do that for balance reasons]. Also can telekenisis be used to attack multiple targets with the violent thrust[as in throw at multiple targets] as this would be a nice "anti-personal shot". Another idea was a catapult "shot" ammunition that explodes and deals half damage. 6d6 isn't too bad. But that limits the amount of stuff they can take.

Any ideas on this guys/gals?O_o Maybe some other equipment? O_o I am trying to minimize magical attack equipment on them and all daemons for this battle.

*I could also maybe give them 2 levels of master of unseen hand. Than however, their will be 3 of them*

========================>

Now the rest is a bit of a blur.. I am not sure what I can use. Ideas ranged from Adult Arrow Hawks with Greater Flyby attack or some flying animal[or dinosaur] w/ fiendish template? [all monster manuals & FCI are allowed, I just aren't find something balanced] If arrow hawks, than how would they control them? Pazuzu entry talks about how there are plenty arrow hawks living in Abyss, but this army isn't "pazuzu's property" or in anyway connected to him[I didn't want to connect any daemon princes to this campaign to make the events seem more standalone and not about some deities or some daemon princes].

I need about 4 homogenous squads of 10-30[depending on there power]. I am trying to keep them medium sized and be a swarm-like [this is daemonic areal assault after all]. The damage output could be 15-20 ish per round, but the defenses should be higher than normal instead. They will serve as "Light Fighter-Bombers" capable of diving in and attacking and than quickly leaving.

So yeah.. Any ideas guys/gals? ^^

AslanCross
2012-04-29, 07:29 PM
I dunno, I think I prefer Calibri or Garamond, especially when reading texts of Abyssal origin---oh, wait.

Kidding aside, I was going to recommend Vrocks as they have the size to be menacing, and have a rather large bag of magical tricks to use. Even their spores are pretty nasty.

Chasme (FC I) have fly 50 ft. (PERFECT), so they can be used to outmaneuver a lot of what the PCs might try to throw at them. However, they're probably even heavier than Vrocks (CR 10).

Ekolids (also FC I) are only CR 4, and they have a horrible egg implantation attack. Kinda weak otherwise, though.

The Juvenile Nabassu (FC I) are CR 5 and might be quite formidable. They're also more likely to work with the Vrocks than the rest, due to being tanar'ri.

Red_Dog
2012-04-29, 08:16 PM
I dunno, I think I prefer Calibri or Garamond, especially when reading texts of Abyssal origin---oh, wait.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/2/24/I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg
= ]

Anyway ^^, Yeah, its funny, I never though much of vrocks but they are really really good actually[kinda like some sort of mobile infantry capable of flying, doing dmg from up close and distance and etc.]. As in, balanced, interesting enemies. They have good defenses, 4 feats and very nice bag of SLAs[mirror image and teleport... yeah ^^]. I really like the idea of 3 vrocks using 3 free action Quicken mirror Image and than start dancing as all images join hands and dance in multiple circles... Good times ^^.

I am befuddled on the equipment part though. It seems, they don't really NEED anything but could use anything too... Which is rather confusing. With carrying capasity of 200lb for a lightload[still can fly fine], a set of large full plate armor weights only 100lb and at only +1 enchantment bumps the armor to solid 30[not super, but nice]. Having solid Con means solid HP. They lack fast healing, but can always port out when it gets too hot.

So besides a simple +1 Fullplate, what else can he get? I guess some mind protection would be in order? What about weapons? Maybe some magical siege engine ammunition from Heroes of Battle? Or just bunch of large or huge xbow bolts?

P.S. On the rest, The idea behind the army is, they can't get tons of intelligent devils. Vrocks had to be recruited or bullied into servitude, but the army isn't capable of limitless acquisition like that. Instead they try utilizing lesser daemons. Juvenile Nabassu might be too much to "mass". Also I arrow hawks increasingly become unappealing as they prefer their lighting ray, which is terrible at this level and they don't like getting up-close. I was thinking some dire fiendish birds? Any suggestions?^^

Red_Dog
2012-05-01, 05:55 PM
So... I narrowed down the arial forces that I think will be balanced and fun.

===============================================>
Fiendish[or corrupted?] Blood Hawks[Fiend Folio]. Flocks 30 followed by to mass murders of 50[!]

Advanced to HD3
Feat selection => Flyby & Greater FLyby
Numbers[after stat rolls, advancement and everything else]=>
Str&dex=20, con 16. Hp=35[+10 from "improved Diehard"], AC17 Attack +8 d4+5dmg and they wound! Can attack 5 targets per turn!
*NOTE these are NOT original stats by any means! So shouldn't be a copyright issue*

Reason=>They seemed like a perfect "demonic bird" to accompany the vrocks. Sort of Murder of Crows taken individually. I am thinking of combining them into "mob templates", but to be honest I will most likely not do that. They are very low CR, but turned out to be VERY hardy and vicious. I mean 30 of these is scary, but full frontal of 2x50 mass murders seem like one terrifying sight.

Questions about them=>
How would one control them? Would Vrocks reasonably control them just by being Vrocks? Would I need some custom made custom item?
How do I protect them from mass will saves? Just spread them out?
Any general comments?

Vrocks as mentioned already. I'll get back to them, but any particular advises on Swag? So far I am giving them, +1 chain-shirt of Awesome Willsaves[+5Will save](see MiC) and landing so they can hot drop and laugh in the face of saves. For their remaining feats I was thinking Air Heritage and Improved Flying[from races of the wild]. Also if I will give them 2 extra lvls/HD Improved Natural attack on claws or Multi Attack.

Also, for payload I was thinking Alchemical and Acid stones from Heroes of Battle... Yeah, a very mean Napalm Bombs... 3 vrocks can carry 36-42[depending on Master of Unseen hand levels] of these per bombing run w/ telekinesis.
*By the BY does its Rflex save prevent ALL damage or just the fire catching part?*

5-6 Swarms of Blood Fiend Locust [Fiend Folio]

These guys... seriously need no explanation. I am thinking whether to use them at all as they are very very scary and technically should be used in 10+ swarms...

They however NEED some sort of Dominate Vermin custom item, as they are going to eat ANYTHING they stumble up on. I am still considering them..
So, thoughts? ^^

Gargoyle Scout squad is in, but they will try to stay out of combat and use wand of whispering wind to coordinate the strikes. Perhaps they can conduct some aerial bombardment as well. Far less direct though. Maybe Spider bombs[to demoralize and intimidate], or same Alchemical Fire will be in order?

So yeah how does THIS Arial attack force looks like? Is it an over kill? Too weak? or just right? ^^

Hope for some critique/help ^^