PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a low level fey cohort

Gadora
2012-04-29, 07:24 PM
I'm working on statting up an air mephling sha'ir right now, really just to see how well the sha'ir class works. Anyhow, skill points being as precious as they are, I took Nymph's Kiss, getting a childhood friend/current pen pal okayed by the DM on the one condition that I bring them in by taking leadership at the first level up. (I'm starting at level five.)

Unfortunately, decent fey with an ECL of four or lower are a little hard to come by- I've managed to find only the Killoren, which I don't know how to really work into a decent friend for my character, and the faun from Deities and Demigods which is iffy at best.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally, I'd like something that can fly or has an elemental connection, but I'm not exactly choosy at this point.

Flickerdart
2012-04-29, 07:35 PM
There's no shortage of low-level Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=Fey&tablesort=5). If you can't think of anything, just slap Feytouched or Half-Fey on a normal thing and enjoy.

Gadora
2012-04-29, 07:52 PM
There's no shortage of low-level Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=Fey&tablesort=5). If you can't think of anything, just slap Feytouched or Half-Fey on a normal thing and enjoy.

Thanks, I'll take a look through those. Two things though: firstly, Feytouched isn't a template any more than aasimar is, and secondly, Half-Fey's LA of +2 feels like an invitation for my character's childhood friend to die to the first enemy to look at her funny. At that point, I'm going to be a level six, the rest of the party's going to be partway to level seven, and, since my cohort's max level is mine minus two, she'd have only two hit dice.

I mean, I don't mind if my character's childhood friend dies in front of them, but I would prefer it to be more dramatic than them just dieing from, say, bandits who we then wipe the floor with.

Still, thank you very much for that list. I'll look up everything in the books we've got.

Aeryr
2012-04-29, 08:05 PM
Some other options:

Duskling (magic of incarnum) if incarnum is your friend thing. 1HD no LA

Jaebrin (MM5) 1HD LA+1 good dealing with enchantment, can possibly pass as an elf if he tries.

Unseelie fey (Dragon magazine compendium) Template LA+0 drawbacks are -2 CON and extra damage from metals, but good scouting additions and abilities.

Xynphos
2012-04-29, 08:35 PM
I don' remember which MM but is seem to remember the Slyph being low CR.

Mithril Leaf
2012-04-29, 08:43 PM
Don't forget the ugly as sin Jermlaine. If you don't mind roleplaying the surprise about your pen-pal being a terrifying rat monstrosity, they make great druids.

Gadora
2012-04-29, 10:54 PM
Some other options:

Duskling (magic of incarnum) if incarnum is your friend thing. 1HD no LA

Jaebrin (MM5) 1HD LA+1 good dealing with enchantment, can possibly pass as an elf if he tries.

Unseelie fey (Dragon magazine compendium) Template LA+0 drawbacks are -2 CON and extra damage from metals, but good scouting additions and abilities.
*sigh* Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track down a copy of either Magic of Incanum or MM5 yet so both of those are off the table. Unseelie fey might be useful, assuming I can get the "always evil" part waived. As for the base creature, it's not the best fit for the situation, but taking the opportunity to turn a changeling into a fey is a bit difficult to resist. >.>

I don' remember which MM but is seem to remember the Slyph being low CR.
They're in MM2. Unfortunately, they're outsiders and have 3 HD and LA+5. I am going to file them away for future use though.

Don't forget the ugly as sin Jermlaine. If you don't mind roleplaying the surprise about your pen-pal being a terrifying rat monstrosity, they make great druids.

Kind of interesting. I'd rather avoid taking a caster (especially a prepared caster) as my cohort though- running the sha'ir is going to be more than enough to keep me occupied.:smalleek:

Thank you all for the suggestions. So far, I think the best route is either Unseelie Fey <thing with elemental connection> or the Faun.

Fluffy_1.0
2012-04-29, 10:58 PM
Take a normal creature and apply the Unseelie fey template (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml) to it.

Granted it's a bit squishy against iron so I recommend giving it a charisma based caster class to minimize that. Ranged bard works well if silverbrow human is your starting race. Get dragon fire inspiration and charming the arrow and then optimize the heck out of inspire courage and you'll do decent damage, help the party a ton, and be pretty SAD.

Only downside is that your DM may decide to throw a book at you if you're low op. So, if you're low op, ditch the DFI and pick whatever base race seems appropriate.