PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder-only build optimization

Embarec
2012-04-29, 09:03 PM
So, "Necromancer cleric" (Undead lord cleric archetype). I'm trying to maximize the number/power of undead controllable by my cleric, preferably without multiclassing or prestigeclassing so that his "Undead companion" stays at maximum strength for him. He worships Urgathoa if that matters. I have to stick with Pathfinder, although third party pathfinder is available. Help please? And although I'd prefer not to multi or prestige class him, if that's the only available ways to boost his undead controlling/creating, it's acceptable.

grarrrg
2012-04-29, 09:26 PM
So, "Necromancer cleric" (Undead lord cleric archetype). I'm trying to maximize the number/power of undead controllable by my cleric, preferably without multiclassing or prestigeclassing so that his "Undead companion" stays at maximum strength for him. He worships Urgathoa if that matters. I have to stick with Pathfinder, although third party pathfinder is available. Help please? And although I'd prefer not to multi or prestige class him, if that's the only available ways to boost his undead controlling/creating, it's acceptable.

I'm not much for Undead, but Agent of the Grave (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/agent-of-the-grave) is probably worth your investment.

Embarec
2012-04-30, 03:58 AM
I might consider that one honestly, especially if anyone knows if those levels stack with cleric in response to the undead lord's undead minion cohort's level. Any other suggestions? I'm surprised by the few responses honestly.

grarrrg
2012-04-30, 11:45 AM
I'm surprised by the few responses honestly.

I'm not.
Given the stipulations of "mostly Cleric" and "Pathfinder only" there really isn't much to work with/suggest. Granted, you said 3rd party is an option, but I'm not familiar with 3rd party much.

There is the Undead Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/undead-master) feat in Ultimate Magic.

If you plan for the PC to do any fighting, and using a Scythe (favored weapon) then Guided Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/-guided-hand) may be worth a look.

As for multiclassing, you might ask the DM if the Boon Companion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion) feat can work for your skeletal friend, then you could take all 5 levels of Agent of the Grave and 'Bonesy' would wind up level -1, fully acceptable.

Embarec
2012-04-30, 10:42 PM
Well, let's take off the "Cleric only" limitation then, see what else happens. If non pathfinder though class wise, I'd need a variety that's already been converted to pathfinder (skills ect. especially...) sadly. He doesn't trust me to do it and he's incapable of doing it himself. >.< Feats and spells ect that arn't pathfinder seem to be perfectly acceptable though from what I've now been told...

OOO! Goood news. The dm has allowed me to count any divine spellcasting levels towards the corpse companion's possible level, meaning things like mystic theurge or necro-lord of Urgathoa ect are now available. I doubt he'd let me count druid levels though, not that I'd want to. :P

grarrrg
2012-04-30, 11:10 PM
I still say Agent of the Grave is a solid PrC for you.

Firstly, while it won't progress your Cleric minion, is does count double for your total Animate Dead pool (deadpool...lol). And going by the example, even the 'no-casting' level counts double! So either your Special Minion advances 1HD, or your total minions advance 2HD.
So a Cleric 5/Agent 5 has a total Animate Dead pool of 60HD, add in Undead Master (count as 4 levels higher), and you're up to 76HD at level 10

Also, while this partially depends on starting level, Agent of the Grave lets you use CHA for hp, so you can skimp on CON and bump your CHA more, this will also give you more uses of Channel Energy, and help out some of the Agent of the Graves class features.
Don't worry about the hit to Fort Saves from lowering CON, as both Cleric and Agent have good Fort progression. But do NOT completely dump CON, as you still need it for at least 5 levels of bonus HP.