PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Build Design. Need help [PF]

Tokuhara
2012-04-29, 10:58 PM
During a recent watching of 13th Warrior, I had a cool build come to mind.

Race: Half-Orc (Sacred Tattoo instead of Orc Ferocity)
Class: Nirmathi Irregular Skirmisher Ranger 20

Feats: Boon Companion
Trait: Tracker of the Society (fluff)

The Fluff is that he is a Viking-themed Half-Orc who is the son of an Orc Chieftain and a Human Princess who joined the Pathfinders and the Nirmathi Irregulars, but left to pursue his own devices.

His Animal Companion is doubling as his mount, and he favors the woods to the urban jungle.

Questions:

1. What feats should I grab? I plan on going TWF, using an axe and a short sword (yes, it's sub-optimal. Sue me.)

2. How can I make him feel Viking-y?

3. What gear is viking-y enough for him to seem like a frozen woodlands warrior?

Thanks y'all

Waker
2012-04-29, 11:36 PM
I would very much suggest you drop one of the archetypes from the character. You lose quite a bit taking the Nirmathi archetype: medium armor and shields plus a severely weakened favored enemy and terrain. One of the big things you do gain from the class is the expansion of spellcasting, which the Skirmisher takes away. If you have both archetypes, Nirmathi would only give you a bonus to perception and survival.
Anyways, many of the ideas that people use for Barbarians in D&D and other fantasy tends to be adapted from Germanic/Nordic tribes. It wouldn't be wholly inappropriate to mix in some Barbarian or to actually take the Wild Stalker archetype.
Also worth noting, if you plan on using your companion quite a bit, you may want to remember about the favored class bonus which lets you add +1hp to you companion. As a second note, if you are very much set upon the idea of a companion mount, the Horselord archetype is ok, though not that amazing. I'm not really impressed, but I figured I'd mention it.

Hylas
2012-04-30, 12:32 AM
I'll second the wild stalker. Being a ranger and having rage seems pretty viking-y. You can survive the harshest winters and go berserk on everyone. It does replace your animal companion if you were planning on using that.

For general build ideas, you don't need high dex because ranger feats ignore pre-reqs, so beef up str and con. Since you're going for sword/axe combo, you obviously care more about fluff than crunch, so I'm going to suggest you wear hide armor, which is fashioned from the skins of the many dire animals and magical beasts you have slain (most likely bare handed, and naked, so you were really just making yourself some pants). Alternatively a hide shirt (light armor) and an armored kilt (which makes light armor into medium) for some of my personal favorite flavor.

Also, oak. You gotta get some oak in there somehow.

Tokuhara
2012-04-30, 02:03 AM
I'll second the wild stalker. Being a ranger and having rage seems pretty viking-y. You can survive the harshest winters and go berserk on everyone. It does replace your animal companion if you were planning on using that.

For general build ideas, you don't need high dex because ranger feats ignore pre-reqs, so beef up str and con. Since you're going for sword/axe combo, you obviously care more about fluff than crunch, so I'm going to suggest you wear hide armor, which is fashioned from the skins of the many dire animals and magical beasts you have slain (most likely bare handed, and naked, so you were really just making yourself some pants). Alternatively a hide shirt (light armor) and an armored kilt (which makes light armor into medium) for some of my personal favorite flavor.

Also, oak. You gotta get some oak in there somehow.

Maybe he obtained a wolf mount and then I can give up the Animal Companion without too many shed tears. I did want to give up Spellcasting, since it's just too much paperwork for me to keep track of.

And I love the Hide Shirt and Kilt combo. I could just skin the kilt as a piece of hide that is worn in a kilt-like fashion.

Crasical
2012-04-30, 02:24 AM
I don't know if they changed it in PF, but in standard 3.5 the rule of thumb is that your mount needs to be a size category larger than you, which a wolf is not.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-04-30, 04:09 AM
First of all:

Nirmathi Irregular is a fine arcehtype IF you make good use of Instant Enemy, both as a wand, and as a spell. I suggest you use ALL of your 3rd level spell slots for it. Thus, you get your max Favored Enemy against anything.

Secondly, if you do want TWF, invest in STR, since the ranger bypasses requirements. You will maximize your damage output in this way.

Third, a Wolf as an animal Companion is quite good, and you CAN use it as a mount, at level 7 with Boon Companion, level 10 without. Once the Wolf reaches level 7, it becomes large. If you do want to use it as a mount, snag the Trick Riding feat. allows all sorts of nifty things, most notably not needing to use your hands to ride, which you would need if TWF.

Basically, you would be badass TWF Viking dude on a Wolf mount. That seems pretty terrifying to me.

Cieyrin
2012-04-30, 01:12 PM
Nirmathi Irregular and Skirmisher can't be mixed, as they both modify spellcasting. If you don't want to mess with spellcasting, Nirmathi is not the path to go, as they are very oriented on casting. Horselord is probably the best path for going mounted Ranger, as it gets you early access to Trick Riding and Mounted Skirmisher so you can focus on TWFing. You can't dump Dex, as Ride is Dex-based and the best thing that Trick Riding does for you is give you 2 Mount Attack Negates, which is dependent on your Ride bonus for determining the effective AC. (Also, Guiding with your knees is like DC 5 or 10, something a modestly skill rider can achieve automatically with very little investment, you don't need Trick Riding for that but it does alleviate other rolls, especially if your DM deems 1 auto-fails on skills).

If you want to get more barbarian feel in there, mixing in some Mounted Fury Barbarian could do you well. Having both you and your mount rage would be pretty damn sweet, methinks.

Tokuhara
2012-04-30, 01:43 PM
Nirmathi Irregular and Skirmisher can't be mixed, as they both modify spellcasting. If you don't want to mess with spellcasting, Nirmathi is not the path to go, as they are very oriented on casting. Horselord is probably the best path for going mounted Ranger, as it gets you early access to Trick Riding and Mounted Skirmisher so you can focus on TWFing. You can't dump Dex, as Ride is Dex-based and the best thing that Trick Riding does for you is give you 2 Mount Attack Negates, which is dependent on your Ride bonus for determining the effective AC. (Also, Guiding with your knees is like DC 5 or 10, something a modestly skill rider can achieve automatically with very little investment, you don't need Trick Riding for that but it does alleviate other rolls, especially if your DM deems 1 auto-fails on skills).

If you want to get more barbarian feel in there, mixing in some Mounted Fury Barbarian could do you well. Having both you and your mount rage would be pretty damn sweet, methinks.

I kind of want a hybrid between Viking Warlord and Worg-Rider from LotR

Waker
2012-04-30, 04:06 PM
Well, if you want a big mean worg-riding viking with no spellcasting, I would suggest Beastmaster Skirmisher (and maybe Infiltrator).
Beastmaster gives you a stronger and more versatile animal companion(s) with which you have an empathetic bond. You also wouldn't need Boon Companion after you get to level 12. Skirmisher tricks to consider are: Bolster Companion, Hateful Attack, Heel, Hobbling Attack, Second Chance Strike, Sic 'Em, Surprise Shift, Tangling Attack, Upending Strike, Vengeance Strike.
Infiltrator is another interesting archetype that gives you some good options, such as increased senses, new movement types and bonus to various other things.

It's also very important to give your companion(s) cool Norse names. Wolves in the myth include: Geri (The Ravenous), Freki (The Greedy One), Garm (Rag, Cerberus equivalent), Fenrir (or Fenris, Fenrisulf, Hroovitnir, or Vanagandr). If you name your wolf(ves) something stupid like Spot or Fido your character sheet will burst into flames and your dice will crumble, so be careful.

Tokuhara
2012-04-30, 06:31 PM
Well, if you want a big mean worg-riding viking with no spellcasting, I would suggest Beastmaster Skirmisher (and maybe Infiltrator).
Beastmaster gives you a stronger and more versatile animal companion(s) with which you have an empathetic bond. You also wouldn't need Boon Companion after you get to level 12. Skirmisher tricks to consider are: Bolster Companion, Hateful Attack, Heel, Hobbling Attack, Second Chance Strike, Sic 'Em, Surprise Shift, Tangling Attack, Upending Strike, Vengeance Strike.
Infiltrator is another interesting archetype that gives you some good options, such as increased senses, new movement types and bonus to various other things.

It's also very important to give your companion(s) cool Norse names. Wolves in the myth include: Geri (The Ravenous), Freki (The Greedy One), Garm (Rag, Cerberus equivalent), Fenrir (or Fenris, Fenrisulf, Hroovitnir, or Vanagandr). If you name your wolf(ves) something stupid like Spot or Fido your character sheet will burst into flames and your dice will crumble, so be careful.

I was leaning towards Freki or Garm, worshiping Baldur (the god, not the Faerun character), and searching for Gram. He seeks to become a total BAMF and sweep past lesser foes, clipping them with the weapons in hand. And since the DM likes to throw a couple fliers at us, I'll also have throwing axes.

So Beastmaster Skirmisher is a good idea. Any good ideas for some decent dips?

Tokuhara
2012-04-30, 09:21 PM
Odd GM challenge issued:

GM just told me that he wants me to optimize a goblin that he will let another player play.

My first thought actually was Fighter, Specifically the Dawnflower Dervish and Gladiator archetype for a more damage-focused Goblin Fighter. Feat-wise, Dervish Dance is a must and I also decided on Roll With it for a Bonus Feat, since it gives the short guy some survivability. I also get a trait, so I decided on Goblin Foolhardiness to give me a nice +1 to hit with my scimitar (skinned as an oversized dogslicer), so 2 feats are in the bag (Weapon Finesse and Dervish Dance).

I'm thinking of dipping 3-4 levels in a class that has a decent reflex/will save and focusing on dealing damage, since Fighter 20 is kinda BS. I was actually thinking 3 levels of Inquisitor (he worships Irori. He was raised by Gnomes), since a good will save and a 1/day +2 to damage is nice to have.

Any ideas for other feats, archetypes, and items?

Waker
2012-05-01, 12:25 AM
For the viking character you generally want to avoid dips. With the Beastmaster archetype your animal companions are weaker than a druids until level 12, unless you grab Boon Companion. There aren't really any PrCs that advance stuff you want.
The only notable dips to consider would be going Barbarian, grabbing the Mounted Fury archetype and grabbing the rage powers Ferocious Mount and Spirit Steed. Mounted Fury will make your mount faster at the expense of your own speed and Bestial Mount will progress your companion, albeit at a slower rate (which could be overcome with Boon Companion) and it increases your mounts strength while you rage. Ferocious Mount simply lets your mount rage when you do. Spirit Steed however is quite interesting. It gives your mount DR/Magic and allows it's natural weapons to count as being magical for overcoming DR.

For the Goblin character, did your DM set any goals for the character other than "Be a goblin"? What kinda role does the player want?

Tokuhara
2012-05-01, 12:55 AM
For the viking character you generally want to avoid dips. With the Beastmaster archetype your animal companions are weaker than a druids until level 12, unless you grab Boon Companion. There aren't really any PrCs that advance stuff you want.
The only notable dips to consider would be going Barbarian, grabbing the Mounted Fury archetype and grabbing the rage powers Ferocious Mount and Spirit Steed. Mounted Fury will make your mount faster at the expense of your own speed and Bestial Mount will progress your companion, albeit at a slower rate (which could be overcome with Boon Companion) and it increases your mounts strength while you rage. Ferocious Mount simply lets your mount rage when you do. Spirit Steed however is quite interesting. It gives your mount DR/Magic and allows it's natural weapons to count as being magical for overcoming DR.

For the Goblin character, did your DM set any goals for the character other than "Be a goblin"? What kinda role does the player want?

For me: ya read my mind, friend.

For him: he wants to be the nimble skirmisher. His last character was a Paladin, so now he wants to be Mr. Quick. He wants to be the single opponent dominator.

To note: this is the party (new GM)

Half-Orc Beastmaster Skirmisher Ranger (me)
Drow Necromancer
Dwarf Words of Power Oracle
Dhampir Inquisitor
Goblin ???

Waker
2012-05-01, 02:05 AM
Well, since goblins are weak but very dexterous I would suggest Sniper Scout Rogue with maybe a sprinkling of Archer Fighter.
Fighter would grant access to more weapons, good BAB, feats and HP. The Archer archetype extends ranged weapons range, allows ranged combat manuevers and extra hit/damage if you stay with it.
Sniper reduces range penalties and increases range. Scout let's you sneak attack without the target being flatfooted because you charged or simply moved at the higher levels.
Feats: Deadly Aim is an excellent feat, exchanging -1 hit/+2 damage. Agile Maneuvers lets you use Dex instead of Str for manuevers. Clustered Shots lets you more easily overcome DR. Dazzling Display/Shatter Defenses can provide a comically effect option for a rogue. Snap Shot can add to his ability to do damage by allowing him AoOs with a bow. Under and Over can dissuade enemies from trying to grapple with you.
Rogue Talents: Bleeding Attack, Distracting Attack, Fast Stealth, Slow Reactions, Sniper's Eye, Surprise Attack

Tokuhara
2012-05-01, 05:22 AM
That's why I went for Dervish honestly. That, and he likes melee.

Waker
2012-05-01, 01:11 PM
Well, if your friend wants to play a fairly mobile melee combatant, I would suggest Mobile Fighter over Dervish.
Dervish abilities include:
-Reducing the penalty to Charge. Yawn, two ac might matter at level 3, but beyond that you won't notice the difference.
-Ignore difficult terrain. Useful, but at least in my gaming experience, it doesn't come up all that often.
-Pounce Lite. Useful, but would be so much nicer if it were a real pounce.
-Pounce Almost. Nice, a shame it comes online so late though.

Mobile Fighter:
-Saves vs paralyze, slow, entangle. Nice, because those effects can be created through a Fort, Refl or Will sv.
-Skirmish Lite. Only requires you to move 5ft, which means you can still make a full attack. Doesn't specify weapon, so you could be in the melee or shooting with a bow.
-Pounce Lite. Same as above.
-Speed Up. Bonus to base speed and taking 10/20 on Acrobatics check. Nice, shame it comes online so late.
-Pounce. He gets the real thing, plus making Whirlwind Attack better if you actually bothered with the feat.

I would say take the class straight Mobile Fighter. If the player really does want to dip though, I'd suggest a few levels of Rogue or Scout Rogue. Since there are going to be many melee combatants, grabs talents that help the party like Distracting Attack or Slow Reactions.

Tokuhara
2012-05-01, 05:32 PM
Well, if your friend wants to play a fairly mobile melee combatant, I would suggest Mobile Fighter over Dervish.
Dervish abilities include:
-Reducing the penalty to Charge. Yawn, two ac might matter at level 3, but beyond that you won't notice the difference.
-Ignore difficult terrain. Useful, but at least in my gaming experience, it doesn't come up all that often.
-Pounce Lite. Useful, but would be so much nicer if it were a real pounce.
-Pounce Almost. Nice, a shame it comes online so late though.

Mobile Fighter:
-Saves vs paralyze, slow, entangle. Nice, because those effects can be created through a Fort, Refl or Will sv.
-Skirmish Lite. Only requires you to move 5ft, which means you can still make a full attack. Doesn't specify weapon, so you could be in the melee or shooting with a bow.
-Pounce Lite. Same as above.
-Speed Up. Bonus to base speed and taking 10/20 on Acrobatics check. Nice, shame it comes online so late.
-Pounce. He gets the real thing, plus making Whirlwind Attack better if you actually bothered with the feat.

I would say take the class straight Mobile Fighter. If the player really does want to dip though, I'd suggest a few levels of Rogue or Scout Rogue. Since there are going to be many melee combatants, grabs talents that help the party like Distracting Attack or Slow Reactions.

So for him, Mobile Gladiator?

ok. Any more help for the Viking Worg Rider?

Tokuhara
2012-05-01, 10:34 PM
Don't you guys love it when the GM neglects to inform you of things in his campaign, like disallowing a race?

I love that too...

GM just informed me that Half-Orcs aren't allowed as a player race, due to story reasons, which basically just threw my WHOLE build down the tubes...

Lucky for me, I found my Plan B: a Broodmaster Master Summoner (no dips this time)

Reading over this, I realized that Paizo said that these two archetypes combine, even though they both augment the same ability (Broodmaster makes your medium eidolon 2 and Master Summoner halves effective summoner level to determine Eidolon's abilities).

My thought was a play on "minionomancy," having as many buddies as possible. Yes, my eidolons will be soft, but lots of flanking buddies/aid another friends and lots and lots of options.

So here's the rough idea of the build:

Race: Half-Elf (For the +1 Evolution Points. Always handy, especially when you have between 2 and 8 weak eidolons)
Class: Master Broodmaster Summoner
Feats: I plan on taking Extra Evolution every level that I can, so I can have yet more Evo Points. Beyond this, I don't know just yet.

Eidolons:

I have about 8 that I need to plan for. I know at least 2 are going to be quads, 2 Bipeds, and 2 Serpentine. The last 2, not too sure.

So my questions:

1. What Feats should I grab between the "odd" levels between the 5 I am choosing?
2. Let's call this "Pimp my Eidolons." What evolutions should I choose for all of my eidolons?
3. What summons should I focus on to get the maximum numbers and abilities for my spend of a summon spell?
4. Trait suggestions?
5. Other suggestions?

Waker
2012-05-01, 10:52 PM
Unless your DM is running a campaign that includes Performance Combat, there is no reason to use the Gladiator archetype. All it does it take away heavy armor/shield proficiency and Bravery in exchange for Perform as a class skill. And the bit on getting Combat or Performance feats is silly, since all Performance feats are Combat feats.

Something I've been meaning to ask, but what level are your characters starting at?
Anyways, as to the Summoner character, I'm pretty sure that Broodmaster and Master Summoner don't mix. I realize that the side note "Horde of Monsters" mentions them both, but I think that was mostly just to note that they both have the potential to slow down a game. That being said, I think the Master Summoner is strictly the worse archetype. Getting Augment Summoning and extra Summon SLAs is nice, but not for the giant penalty that they impose on the Eidolon, at least in my opinion.
The Broodmaster is an interesting enough archetype, but don't go too crazy with making mini-eidolons. If they are too weak, they are going to get smashed by one well-placed hit or AoE. I would suggest no more than three Eidolons, possibly one of each type. Make each Eidolon suitable for a certain task, like a mobile quadruped for a flanker, a grapple-based serpent and a swiss army knife biped.

Almost forgot, how does Half-Orc being banned destroy your build? The only thing specific to race that I recall about your character is the Savage Tattoo.

Tokuhara
2012-05-01, 11:07 PM
Unless your DM is running a campaign that includes Performance Combat, there is no reason to use the Gladiator archetype. All it does it take away heavy armor/shield proficiency and Bravery in exchange for Perform as a class skill. And the bit on getting Combat or Performance feats is silly, since all Performance feats are Combat feats.

Something I've been meaning to ask, but what level are your characters starting at?
Anyways, as to the Summoner character, I'm pretty sure that Broodmaster and Master Summoner don't mix. I realize that the side note "Horde of Monsters" mentions them both, but I think that was mostly just to note that they both have the potential to slow down a game. That being said, I think the Master Summoner is strictly the worse archetype. Getting Augment Summoning and extra Summon SLAs is nice, but not for the giant penalty that they impose on the Eidolon, at least in my opinion.
The Broodmaster is an interesting enough archetype, but don't go too crazy with making mini-eidolons. If they are too weak, they are going to get smashed by one well-placed hit or AoE. I would suggest no more than three Eidolons, possibly one of each type. Make each Eidolon suitable for a certain task, like a mobile quadruped for a flanker, a grapple-based serpent and a swiss army knife biped.

Almost forgot, how does Half-Orc being banned destroy your build? The only thing specific to race that I recall about your character is the Savage Tattoo.

Reading it myself, they mix, if not in a kind of eclectic mix. Most likely, I plan on hording my opponent.

So one large and 2 medium? Which do you suggest?

And the entire fluff was around the Nordic Half-Orc, so it feels dirty to try and refluff another race into that (especially since Orcs live like the Norse did in our campaign.)

And we are starting at 6th