PDA

View Full Version : Materials

M33p0
2012-04-30, 02:30 PM
I am looking to incorporate clothing crafting materials in my game. One of the characters is a sorcerer with tailor as his craft and is looking for more exotic materials. I was wondering if there was a more exotic list of materials available for crafting magic items (specifically clothing) other than what I can find in the Arms and Equipment Guide.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-04-30, 03:21 PM
there are a couple of exotic textiles in ECS and a couple of Eberron Supplements. I'm AFB at the moment so I can't tell you the materials, but I'm pretty sure they're in Secrets of Sarlona and Magic of Eberron. There may be others as well.

NichG
2012-04-30, 08:45 PM
I use a bunch of homebrew materials that can be produced alchemically for my campaigns. Here's the list of fabrics/threads I use, and some minor background on each one.

Spiritward Silk. Clothes/equipment made out of this material grant +1 to saves vs. negative energy effects (inflict spells, etc). The silk made by silkworms that have fed off of the remains of channelers of positive energy, such as Good clerics, paladins, and the like.

Solidified Light. This material is usually found in solid, roughly worked forms, but in highly skilled hands it can be made into cloth. It is created by Radiance Genasi in places of intense illumination or on their home plane. The basic materials are readily available (light), so the main factor in the cost of this is the actual quality of the goods made from it. Only Radiance Genasi can mold and shape it, and fine detail like threads requires much more skill than crude blocks used for construction. In most cases this cloth degrades over the course of about twenty years, but as it does so it emits a constant glow. As clothing, it grants a +1 circumstance bonus to Perform checks but a -1 penalty to Hide checks.

Starleather. This material is somewhat paradoxical in its nature, as it protects against evil beings (+2 sacred bonus to AC vs evil beings), but is made from the skin of a Ravid, a creature of good.

Shadowcloth. This material is tricky to make, requiring a trip to Limbo and some luck. Sometimes illusions cast on Limbo remain even if the spell should end, and in extreme cases they become solid. Shadowcloth is made by casting a Shadow Creation or other similar spell with the Shadow descriptor on Limbo to create clothing or cloth. Shadowcloth clothing grants a +5 circumstance bonus to Hide so long as it is the outer-most layer of clothing worn (i.e. does not work if worn under armor).

Ghoulskin. Exactly what it sounds like. This leather rots constantly, which is usually a downside, but repels most larger animals (though it tends to attract insects).

Vital Ivy. This is permanently animated ivy guided by the will of the wearer to take the form of clothing or armor. Because it constantly grows, it can self-heal. When used for armor, it has the properties of Leaf-weave (Races of the Wild).

Ethereal silk. This blue-purple fabric exists simultaneously on the Material and Ethereal planes, as well as the continuum of spaces in between. As such it can interact with both manifested and unmanifested (border Ethereal) ghosts as if they are solid. It can also interact with a caster under the effects of Etherealness. Depending on campaign cosmology, it may be hard to move this material to any plane not adjacent to the Ethereal without destroying it. This can be made by specially treating Phase Spider silk.

Jewelcloth. Fabric that constantly flashes and shines in rainbow colors. Causes a Dazzle effect DC 13 if looked at.

Wraithleather. Skinning an incorporeal creature is a difficult task. This material is made by trapping a Wraith in the effect of a Make Manifest or similar spell that removes its incorporeality. Wraith leather is horrible stuff, lowering the max hp of the wearer by 1/HD while worn if the wearer is not immune to negative energy, but it does confer an immunity to level drain to the wearer.

Umbral Fibers. The origin of these fibers is via the alchemical combination of Shadowcloth and the essence of a Vasuthant. Those wearing clothing made of Umbral Fibers are constantly shrouded in darkness, giving creatures without Darkvision a 20% miss chance when trying to hit them.

Vanishing Cloth. Created by embedding a Living Spell of Invisibility into magic-receptive mithril fibers, this heavy cloth makes anything it covers invisible.

Fortune Paper. Cloth made of thin strips of paper upon which a thousand good luck charms have been written. If this is made into armor, said armor grants a Luck bonus to AC instead of its normal Armor bonus to AC.

Mindlock Fibers. This asbestos-like material is sometimes made when a Crystal Anchor is shattered by a very powerful psionic being. It can be made into a fabric that leaves thin slivers of itself in the wearer's body, disrupting their psionic powers for a day after it has been worn (treat as the Crystal Anchor that was shattered to make the cloth). The fibers can be removed with a DC 30 Heal check over the course of ten minutes, or appropriate magical effects - they are, however, too deeply buried for a Prestidigitation effect to get at.

M33p0
2012-04-30, 11:06 PM
Thank you guys so much this really helps