PDA

View Full Version : TWF Swiftblade; Advice needed. [3.5]

JediMimeTricks
2012-04-30, 03:04 PM
Hi Playground, I am looking for advice on feats and build for a two weapon fighting Swiftblade. Here is what I have so far.

Wizard 6/Swiftblade 3/Abjurant Champion 2/Swiftblade 7
With: MWP(Kukri), TWF, Dodge, Mobility, and Combat Casting.

I will be playing a human and taking the Martial Wizard variant to help alleviate the feat burden. Weapon cords (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services#TOC-Weapon-Cord) should allow casting, so Somatic Weapon is not needed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what other feats, or class levels, would help this build? Arcane strike, Knowledge Devotion, and Improved Critical all look OK, but there may be better options. I have also considered levels of Unseen Seer, but I cannot find a way to make those levels work.

Roguenewb
2012-04-30, 03:20 PM
I like Battle Casting, from Races of the Wild. You have combat casting anyway, and when you cast a spell you get +2 dodge to AC. With high level swiftblades, you can easily make 3 or 4 spells in a turn, getting a huge AC boost

Flickerdart
2012-04-30, 03:27 PM
Swiftblade doesn't mix well with other PrCs. Unseen Seer would hurt your already poor CL. Sacred Exorcist is a common choice for Turn Undead (and thus DMM Persist).

Keld Denar
2012-04-30, 03:36 PM
I don't like those weapon cords. Your swift actions are going to be PRECIOUS to you. You are going to want to be casting swift spells, like your Swiftblade Haste, quickened Abjurations like Shield, use swift action magic items, etc. I'd even go so far as to suggest you take Minor Shapeshift for bonus HP every few rounds if you get hit.

If I were you, I'd suggest a double weapon if you want to TWF. Get a nice quarterstaff, magic it up with Greater Magic Weapon and Greater Mighty Wallop, and lay down the smack with that.

JediMimeTricks
2012-04-30, 04:01 PM
Ill check out Sacred Exorcist. I was thinking of using a quarterstaff, actually an elvencraft longbow, to cover the martial weapon requirement, but I feel like the crits from other weapons would be more useful. If there is a martial double weapon, then I might use that instead.

I don't think that the swift actions will be all that bad. The Hastes are free actions and I should only be casting swift abjurations at the start of a fight. If I could swing the feats, maybe I would pick up Somatic Weaponry.

Edit: I should probably add that the group I am going to play with is not shooting for high optimization, so wasting a few feats is not as big of a deal as usual.

Keld Denar
2012-04-30, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately, there are no martial double weapons. There is only the quarterstaff which is simple and a bunch of exotics like the double sword, double axe, and dire flail.

Also, DMM doesn't work for arcane spells, even if you get a source of Turn Undead, you can't use DMM because DMM explicitly states that it only works with Divine Spells. That said, if you have a decent Cha score, the Turn Undead could be used for Law Devotion or Travel Devotion or even Divine Might. I'd highly suggest you finish Swftblade though, or at least get to level 9, and then take more Abjurant Champion.

JediMimeTricks
2012-05-01, 12:40 AM
Hmm... Is there a way to make kukris or even short swords worth using? Assuming the kukri crits and does max damage, it cannot do any more damage than a quarterstaff.

Fable Wright
2012-05-01, 06:33 PM
First thing's first: You need your swift actions. If there's a round where you have a spare swift action, you're probably doing it wrong. You have, at your disposal, Wraithstrike, the Karmic Aura line, Bladeweave, activating the Heart of X line, and potentially Abrupt Jaunt if you went Conjurer. Second, Haste is a swift action. After 'Once per round as a free action', it says 'as a Quickened spell.' Unless your DM rules that Quickened spells are free actions once per round, that's not going to fly. Third, you probably want Swiftblade abilities sooner than Abjurant Champion abilities; Swiftblade gets exponentially better, and you want those abilities as soon as possible. Finally, consider this: Do you want 9th level spells (Including timestop) more? Or the Swiftblade Capstone ability more?

Snowbluff
2012-05-01, 06:39 PM
Somatic Weaponry. 1 feat, gives you the ability to not drop your weapons when casting. Alternatively, just put some Wand Chambers in your weapons with Wands of your most commonly used spells (Wraith Strike, for example). Or 8OTH.

Randomguy
2012-05-01, 07:42 PM
You're already spending a feat for martial weapon proficiency (kukri). Why not change it to EWP (spiked chain)? Or use a double khopesh instead, it's got the same threat range as a kukri.
You'd need to check with your DM though to see if EWP counts as MWP for the purpose of prereq's, though.

JadePhoenix
2012-05-02, 06:40 AM
Why are you considering Divine Metamagic if you don't cast divine spells?

Fouredged Sword
2012-05-02, 08:50 AM
Ok, Kuri. They get awsome with two feats. Martial Study and Martial stance will get you blood in the water. Every time you crit you get +1 to attack and damage. It is self stacking and last potentially for as long as combat runs.

Swiftblades attack a lot.

JadePhoenix
2012-05-03, 06:37 AM
Somatic Weaponry. 1 feat, gives you the ability to not drop your weapons when casting. Alternatively, just put some Wand Chambers in your weapons with Wands of your most commonly used spells (Wraith Strike, for example). Or 8OTH.

Or you could buy Gloves of the Master Strategist, Gloves of Storing or a Kimono of Storing.