PDA

View Full Version : Mordae's New Keep on the Borderlands 3.5 (IC)

Mordae
2012-04-30, 03:34 PM
The reddening sun hangs low over the mountain peaks on the western horizon as your animals plod along the dusty, little-used road that winds northeastward toward the very edge of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos. This is far border country, much further than any reasonable man might dare to settle away from the sights and sounds of Specularum. The fabled Emirates of Ylarum are much nearer than the crown jewel of the Duchy, though the journey past the origin of the Castellan River would be a trackless endeavor through the heart of frost giant country.

Your journey nears its end as the road takes a bend to the north and the craggy hill upon which Norgar's Citadel has been built comes into view. At first glance its grey stone towers might be taken for ordinary mountain peaks, but the green and white pennants that snap from atop the battlements stand out starkly from the pale azure sky. Watchmen take note of your approach but do not challenge it; the mighty army of the Unyielding has naught to fear from an armed band of less than a dozen. You are able to approach the gate before a quartet of guards in chainmail array themselves to stop your approach. On the towers above, archers watch your every move, but no arrows are nocked--yet.

The eldest of the four, his green and white surcoat emblazoned with Norgar's golden lion seal and the single chevron befitting a corporal of the guard, strikes the butt of his halberd on the stones of the gateway to call for your attention. "State your name and business at the Keep of Norgar the Unyielding, Sentinel of the Northern Reach." His raspy voice is thin and of a higher pitch than one might expect for a man his size.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-04-30, 06:02 PM
Unhindered with bulging bags, merchant's goods or much personal gear at all really, the gnome strides forward and politely renders a small bow. He reveals matted blond hair when he removes the metal cap from his head. It's a marvelous piece of craftsmanship gobbed up with splashed layers of red paint to match his doublet and cloak.

"Well met, guardsfellow. I am Stenly Sterling Snipewhistle, a caravan guard and huntsman by trade. At the moment I'd like nothing more than a pillowed seat by a fire, a garlic-roasted pheasant and at least two good bottles of wine."

He steps aside and clomps the cap back into place, giving his fellow travelers a smile both ingratiating and conspiratorial. To the closest traveler he says quietly, "After weeks of wilderness I admit a bit of formality is a good reminder why we're better than the animals we eat. They generally lack manners. Much like dwarves, only much less able to wield axes."

TheTick
2012-04-30, 10:37 PM
Renard steps forward, shaking the dust from his vestments as he goes. "Hail, and well met, Guardsman. I am Renard, a simple Cleric of the Dweller on the Horizon, Fharlanghn. I am passing through here to offer whatever aid one of my order can provide. My path has brought me here, and I shall not stray from it." He nods once, and steps back to allow the others to declare themselves.

Duke of URL
2012-05-01, 07:01 AM
A prime example of fine young elfdom is next. "I am called Valdamain, a wandering magician seeking to use my talents as a freelancer or mercenary. Does Norgar the Unyielding have any work for the like of us?"

gunnar11
2012-05-01, 09:01 AM
The young elf looks around and doesn't make any motion indicating interest onto the guards. "Greetings" he says with a deep grim voice. "I'm here seeking knowledge. I heard this keep knows of some magic, is this true?"
He doesn't appear to be speaking to anyone directly, too wrapped up in his mind to absorb his surroundings.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-01, 09:56 AM
Stenly clears his throat. "Adomourne. You forgot to say your name, Adomourne ." He looks up at the guard corporal cheerfully. "Adomourne," he chortles.

TheTick
2012-05-01, 10:43 AM
Renard chuckles to himself. Wizards.

Mordae
2012-05-01, 03:26 PM
The corporal nods his acknowledgement to the four speakers before turning his icy blue gaze to Stern and Daniel. "And what of these two? Are they among your number? Can they not speak for themselves?" His nasal tone and furrowed brow betray his irritation with having to deal with travelers at this hour of the watch.

Looking for something from AsDeR and Doomboy911, but if they don't post within a day I'd like someone else to speak for them so we can get moving inside the keep.

AsDeR
2012-05-01, 04:58 PM
Stern

Stern looks up the guard and smiles. "I'm a part of the group. I just want a warm meal and sleep under a roof." This questions are stupid, we could be here to kill everybody and lie about it... Stern thinks for himself while smiling.

Doomboy911
2012-05-02, 05:54 AM
I approach taking a knee and in a very very raspy voice like a knife riding along a rusted metal pipe I say."Tis an honor for one so low to meet one of high. I am merely the meekly Daniel heading along for the sake of the sights." Than stepping off and back to the back of the group.

Mordae
2012-05-02, 07:42 AM
The guard asks a few more inane questions about how long the group intends to stay, where they have come from, and how to contact their next of kin. Then he moves on to the standard admonitions. "The gate closes at sunset and opens at sunrise. There shall be no fighting or drawn weapons within the walls. Do not drink to excess. Theft is forbidden. Access to the inner keep is by invitation only. Violators may be punished by time in the stocks, by hard labor in the salt or silver mines, or by death, at the discretion of Lord Norgar." With that, he ushers the sextet through the arched gateway just as a horn blows from atop one of the towers. Turning to his detachment, he nods ones and says, "Close the gate."

The clinking of chains and creaking of windlasses accompanies the slow groan of greased hinges as the gates swing shut and heavy bars are lowered into place. An iron portcullis slides down from its resting place above the inner face of the wall, closing off the archway against intruders.

The walls of the L-shaped outer keep are twenty feet high; most of the towers are an additional ten feet, though the Watchman's Tower at the northeastern corner of the keep, nearest the gate, looms fifty feet above the ground and is forty feet in diameter, a fortress in itself. The inner keep, nestled in the southwestern part of the castle, is even more stout; thirty foot walls and forty foot towers rise like a man-made mountain, but the summit is the impressive Tower of Guard. The largest in the whole citadel, it stands near the center of the castle overlooking the outer courtyard, some seventy feet in height and forty feet in diameter.

The outer courtyard is crammed full of buildings arranged such that there is no straight passage from the outer gate to the inner keep. Nestled in the shadow of the near-northwest tower, straight ahead, is the smithy. Stables are nearby to the left. Additional buildings further south outline a grassy yard where some crops are eked out of the rocky soil. Further still are warehouses, shops, and the Crow's Foot tavern and inn. In the gate court north of the inner keep, there is a chapel, barracks for Norgar's soldiers, and a deep well that provides fresh water should the citadel ever come under seige.

OOC: A very rough code-sketch of the citadel.

o----------O
|[] |
|[] [][] #
| |
o----------o [] o
|[] [] |
|[] % [] |
|[] [] |
o----#-----@ [] [] o
| | |[] [] [] |
| o---|[] |
| |[] |
| |[] [][][] |
o----------o----------o

Doomboy911
2012-05-02, 08:08 AM
I begin to try and make my way to the highest point whether it be by stairs or grappling hook.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-02, 08:21 AM
Stenly chatters amiably with whomever is nearby, assisting with monor tasks and getting a feel for the place until the moment he spots the tavern shingle.

He then not quite politely excuses himself in a rush to fulfill his previously uttered desires, calling back over his shoulder he would love any comapany ...

TheTick
2012-05-02, 08:25 AM
Renard stretches as best he can in his gear, and starts heading towards the Inn. "I'm going to see about a room, and perhaps get a pint."

gunnar11
2012-05-02, 08:38 AM
"Great, I love when the mutually supportive group just scatters..."Adomourne whines with a sarcastic tone.
"Just make sure, everyone to come back here at 10." He yells. He then decides to go to the nearest shop and ask about any great magic schools, shops or magicians themselves around, to learn something from.
He goes investigating if he still's got time, if not he returns to the appointed spot, 15 minutes before 10.

Doomboy911
2012-05-02, 09:13 AM
Daniel tries to find the highest point that's not being guarded. If he can reach the spot than I take a look around than head back to where everyone was.

AsDeR
2012-05-02, 03:55 PM
Stern

"I will join you in a minute." Stern sais to the fellows heading to the tavern.
He head to the chapel to get some information about how the people is arround here.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-02, 09:41 PM
Stenly instantly tosses a number of coins toward the bar, places his feet up closest to the fire he can get and plinks away on his lute, mumbling nonsense rhymes cheerfully until food and wine arrives. He then plunges in with gusto, and continues singing with food in his mouth.

He gleefully gulps any wine placed before him and seemingly has no intention of caring when - if ever - 10 o'clock rolls around.

TheTick
2012-05-02, 10:01 PM
At the Inn, Renard politely inquires about a room and works out the details with the innkeeper. He heads to the tavern and gets a bite to eat and a drink, which he knocks back rather quickly. He punches Stenly on the shoulder as exits the establishment. "See you back out there. I'm not visiting you if you get put in the stocks on our first day here!"

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-03, 07:02 AM
More than a little surprised, Stenly calls, "But come now, Renard! After such a long trip. And what does that wizard hope to accomplish so late with the gates locked anyway?"

He grumpily plunks the strings of his lute and decides to flip a coin. Giggling to himself, Stenly holds the silver aloft and says, "Heads I go ..."

1 is heads ... [roll0]

"Ah, fate you cunning thing." He smiles and shrugs, then empties a bottle of wine and curls up, just managing to drag his cloak over himself before he starts to snore.

Duke of URL
2012-05-03, 08:51 AM
Valdamian accompanies the others to the tavern, and spends a little coin on a hot meal and a decent flagon of wine, as well as plying some of the patrons (and the barkeep) with some drinks and silver to get a set of the current rumors floating around town.

[roll0]

TheTick
2012-05-03, 09:51 AM
Renard smiles broadly. "I may have the protection of my God, but I'm still not angering a wizard!"
Renard then walks out of the tavern to meet up with Adomourne. And to make sure Daniel isn't a puddle on the ground below some tower.

gunnar11
2012-05-03, 11:15 AM
"There you are" Adomourne smiles brightly when he sees Renard approach. "I guess the rest will come in a bit, won't they?" Gullible as always.

"Did you find us a tavern, inn or anything the like? I do want everyone to stay together, and the way some people took off seemed like they wanted to get away from the rest." he continues. He was here early, as always. Punctuality and pacience are virtues for Adomourne, something not always combinable.

"What should we do afterwards? I am still in search of greater magic, and I'm not sure I can find it here... As for you guys, what do you want to do?"

I guess we'll get an update from mordae soon? I mean, I still want to know what happened in that time.
Also: Maybe it's useful to write longer posts instead of more, as not to overload my inbox xD

Mordae
2012-05-03, 03:23 PM
Daniel enters the tall stone tower guarding the northeast corner of the fortress. The Watchman's Tower is a chambered affair with a central spiral staircase leading up the various levels to the top of the tower. At the very top, a large catapult stands ready to repel invaders. The tower is manned by four soldiers in the same livery as at the gate; all are equipped with longbows and short swords. One of them gives Daniel a cursory nod as he arrives; apparently, they are used to seeing visitors. From this high vantage, the rogue can make out the fir and pine forests that blanket the hillsides surrounding the citadel; the rushing rivers that zig-zag between the hills, merging into greater and greater rivers en route to the Castellan Keep further south; and, beyond the marshy valley to the north, the sparkling expanse of the Iron Falls that separates the low valley from the higher plateau where the frost giants can be found.

Stern heads to the chapel, where a robed priest of Pelor greets him courteously. To the devoted man's query, the priest answers that the folk of the citadel are hardy, self-reliant, and perhaps a bit brusque, but are fiercely loyal to all who share their calling in the defense of the duchy. To those who would distract from this duty, little quarter is given.

Renard discusses sleeping arrangements with the innkeeper. Rooms are available for the inexpensive rate of three silver pieces per night, and can accomodate up to three guests. There is also a larger room that can sleep up to ten, at a cost of eight silver pieces per night. A bath is five silver pieces. Sleeping in the common room of the Crow's Foot is but a single silver piece.

Adomourne is perhaps the only one who does not easily find what he seeks. The folk to whom he addresses his inquiries tell him that no great wizard resides in the keep, not since Opell the Wise (a companion of Norgar) left to perform a census and survey of the local lizardman populations some years ago.

The common room itself is a lively place, lit with tallow candles that shed brilliant yellow to all the corners. The bartender, a bald-headed man of large build whose face is marred by a long scar across one empty eye socket, serves drinks in the southwest corner. In the southeast corner, upon a slightly raised platform, several musicians are playing and dancing a jig to the amusement of all. The patrons consist primarily of off-duty guards, some pilgrims, and a fair number of like-minded adventurers. A yawning fire pit in the west wall is tended by a young lad of about twelve years, who is mindful of the roast goat upon the spit that he turns. Stenly, having found himself a comfortable chair, is passed out with an empty flagon before him.

Valdamian overhears a group of adventurers lamenting their recent, failed expedition. It seems they were in search of lizardman lairs nearby but were ambushed by a troglodyte war band near Iron Falls.

Doomboy911
2012-05-03, 09:42 PM
"Aside from a lovely view I haven't seen much to interest me I think I'll go take a nap in an alley so I'll be fully rested for some night rounds."

TheTick
2012-05-04, 07:10 AM
Renard will meet up with Adomourne and check in with him...

if you wish to RP this, go ahead

...after which he will head back to Inn and rent one of the three person rooms. He will let anyone of his party he passes know he will have a couple of extra bunks. Barring anything earth-shattering he hears from his companions, Renard will bed down for the night.

He sleeps with his morningstar next to his bed, and his backpack on it and under whatever cover there is.

gunnar11
2012-05-04, 08:27 AM
Adomourne will repeat the previously mentioned dialogue, and return with renard, kindly accepting his offer for a bedroom.

on mobile at the moment, so keeping posts short

Doomboy911
2012-05-04, 09:02 AM
Daniel wanders the alley looking for a empty barrel. "Not much worth stealing here"

AsDeR
2012-05-04, 12:47 PM
Stern

"Thanks for your time, please take this donation for your temple." Stern gives 10 gold pieces to the priest, then heads back to the tavern where he joins Stenly in the table and asks for food and beer.

After a while, if the night remains calm, he rents another 3 bed room and takes stenly back with him.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-04, 01:33 PM
"Grmble*snort*caffmumf."

Duke of URL
2012-05-04, 02:10 PM
Disappointed to not get more information, Valdamian takes up the offer of extra bunk space to go meditate. The news of nearby lizardmen and troglodytes was at least some lead to be getting on with, and he'd be sure to pass along the information to the others in the morning.

Doomboy911
2012-05-04, 06:40 PM
Daniel rests in the shade of the alley eyes and ears open to all noises until it grows dark.

TheTick
2012-05-05, 07:39 PM
Renard settles into the bed and is snoring softly almost immediately. Years of travel have allowed him to fall asleep just about anywhere.

Mordae
2012-05-07, 11:52 AM
The private rooms are small and utilitarian, with narrow slit windows that could double as archer positions in the event of a fight within the walls. A small table and three chairs are set up against one interior wall, while under the window there are three low cots topped with straw-filled mattresses. Once the tallow candles are extinguished, the place is nearly pitch-black; only a trace of torchlight from the high walls filters through.

Daniel finds the streets of the citadel unusually empty. While in most towns and even small cities people might store common goods up against their homes and workshops, everything here is locked down tight. Each building does have a rain barrel, though, and with the relatively dry season so far several barrels have run dry. So the rogue tucks himself inside and quietly observes the late evening happenings--changings of the guard, roving patrols, and the like. There does not seem to be much, if any, civilian traffic after the sun goes down.

Dawn breaks early and cold over the northern outpost of the duchy. Gradually, the noises of the castle's livestock start to build into a low din, coupled with the babble of farmers and merchants beginning their daily routine. In the Crow's Foot common room, the staff are beginning their preparation of breakfast, the smells and noises of which are much more compelling.

TheTick
2012-05-08, 07:15 AM
*snore*

Renard will wake just before dawn, and find a quiet place out in the open to pray for the day's spells (same list as on the sheet).

gunnar11
2012-05-08, 09:53 AM
*snore*

Renard will wake just before dawn, and find a quiet place out in the open to pray for the day's spells (same list as on the sheet).

Same for Adomourne :smalltongue:

Duke of URL
2012-05-08, 10:24 AM
While the "stuffy" spellcasters are off preparing their spells, Valdamian wanders down to the inn's common room for some breakfast, entertaining the locals with a riveting (but completely made up) story of how he managed to escape from an entire tribe of orcs that had tried to chase him down.

[roll0] to see how good of a yarn Valdamian spins...

Doomboy911
2012-05-08, 11:07 AM
"Well that was uneventful night." Daniel says climbing down from the ceiling.

Mordae
2012-05-08, 12:00 PM
Breakfast consists of ham slices, fresh eggs, and a barley porridge that is definitely on the watery side. There are no complaints from the hungry folk in the common room, though--the proprietor's one-eyed glare sees to that.

The other adventurers that Valdamian had overheard the previous morning are gathered at their customary table, and there are a few assorted off-duty guards and a trio of teamsters besides. All seem somewhat impressed by the warlock's boasts. The leader of the adventuring band, however, offers a smile that barely manages to mask a sneer. "So, if you ran from orcs, what brings you all the way up here, where there are real dangers? Iron Falls isn't for the faint-hearted."

TheTick
2012-05-08, 12:43 PM
Renard enters the room as Valdamian is in mid-boast. He gathers a bit of food and hears the other adventurer basically accuse Valdamian of cowardice. He sits down next to his travelling companion, making a show of adjusting the morningstar hanging at his side.

Renard is trying to position himself between the other adventurers and Val, in case his boastful nature ticks them off further. He's letting Valdamian do the talking though.

Doomboy911
2012-05-08, 01:17 PM
"My friend ran from the orcs because he had to care for me. You see I am much to frail for the likes of an orc. In order to save my life he carried me away from trouble. It just so happen that this lovely spot was the closest place." Daniel says adding to the lie.

AsDeR
2012-05-08, 03:50 PM
Stern

When Stern wakes up the sun is already high, he overslept. He cleans himself and prepare for a new day. He leaves the room and meet his companions on the common room.

Stern orders breakfast and sees his storyteller getting a crowd arround, and slowly making them angry... again.
"Who is that guy?" he asks the proprietor refering to the leader of the adventuring band.

After getting some information he joins Daniel's table as if he were another spectator.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-08, 04:14 PM
Steny wakes grogily and, as he goes about cleaning himself and his clothes, wonders vaguely how he got to a room. Hopefully in the arms of some lucky young lady.

His eyes still a bit bleary, he settles on the highest chair at the table around which some of his fellows are breaking their fast.

"Oh, yes. Ham and ... porridge. This will be better with a thick beer."

As he carefully tests which has the better consistancy - thre porridge or the beer - he notes Stern becoming grumpy about the storytelling.

"Daniel," he pipes loudly but distractedly, "the orcs may not have taken such a dislike to you if you hadn't broken your marriage vow to the chieftain's daughter."

"Perhaps if I pour some beer into the porridge?" A study of concentration, he begins to do so.

Doomboy911
2012-05-08, 05:11 PM
" I said I would marry his beautiful daughter and he showed me swine with an adorable nose with the cutest laugh. Oh god I`ve made a terrible mistake Kran take me back beautiful this lone wolf will tie himself down for you."Daniel than sobs a little at love that may be lost.

Duke of URL
2012-05-09, 08:20 AM
"Aye, if it were only a handful of orcs, it would be easy to stand fast and slay them. But an entire tribe at once? Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, after all." No need to lie here, as Valdamian is simply stating the facts of life. "Now, as for the dangers of Iron Falls, what's this I heard about lizardmen? That sounds like just the type of job we were looking for."

TheTick
2012-05-09, 08:56 AM
"And the Troglodytes. A Troglodyte war band here could be a big problem."

Doomboy911
2012-05-09, 10:31 AM
"Indeed monsters a plenty are about but I fancy a certain beast. Has anyone seen any traces of a Gray Render? You know big footprints, trees that look like they've been torn up by the root."

Mordae
2012-05-09, 12:17 PM
" I said I would marry his beautiful daughter and he showed me swine with an adorable nose with the cutest laugh. Oh god I`ve made a terrible mistake Kran take me back beautiful this lone wolf will tie himself down for you."Daniel than sobs a little at love that may be lost.

At this comment the guffaws from the assembled crowd drowns out any further snarky remarks from the leader of the rival adventurers. The proprietor leans over to Stern and answers, "It's Grogan Helmsplitter. Bit of a lout, not much of a tactician, but holds his own in battle." The one-eyed man pauses before adding, "Or so I hear."

The others in the common room have the following to say about the various monsters of the area: before Norgar and his companions came to this remote spot and built the citadel, there were various tribes of lizardmen occupying this valley. Most of them have been driven out, though there are still some holding out in the vicinity of Iron Falls. There are other humanoids in the vicinity as well, a number of which were driven from the Caves of Chaos by Norgar and a mighty war party some years ago. The troglodytes appear to be relative newcomers; no one is sure where they arrived from, or why they are trying to stake out a claim on this valley.

TheTick
2012-05-10, 07:28 AM
Renard leans in to his companions and says "This group of troglodytes could be a real problem, especially if it riles up what's left of the lizardman population. Could be lucrative to investigate..."

To Grogan and the others: "Where were these troglodytes seen?"

Doomboy911
2012-05-11, 08:13 PM
Daniel looks to the others. "So what have you gents done? We told you our story what''s yours?"

Mordae
2012-05-16, 03:14 PM
Gorgan seems loathe to humor further discussion, especially since it would probably involve a retelling of his latest defeat, but one of his mates perks up to Renard's query. "Well, we met them on the west side of the Castellan River; you know, the big one that drops down Iron Falls and flows past the citadel here. To me, they looked like raiders--equipped for moving fast, you know, with short bows and spears--so I'd guess if anything they're looking to expand territory now that the lizzies have fallen on hard times. That or they're after the supposed lizardman temple and it's fabled treasure."

The one-eyed bartender scoffs at the last bit of the tale. "I tell you, Dane, t'ain't no such thing. Norgar's men-at-arms scoured the countryside and found nothing at all. No ziggurats, no stone columns, nothing. It's all a myth."

TheTick
2012-05-16, 09:50 PM
Renard looks at his companions. "Sounds like something we can take a look at, eh? A trog/lizardman conflict would be bad for the area."

Duke of URL
2012-05-17, 11:18 AM
"Oh, I'm a big fan of myths and legends," Valdamian says casually. "We should go to check it out on that basis alone. And stopping one of the various reptile groups from consolidating their strength is probably wise, too. Do we need to get some from of official permission to go 'hunting' in these parts?"

Doomboy911
2012-05-17, 10:13 PM
"Indeed just tell us it's impossible and there's a chance we might just do it for our own amusement. In fact we don't need information we'll find it ourselves. I'm sick of city life already let's head out and find some information." Daniel readies his grappling hook and sets out. "Join with me now or I'm keeping all the gold for myself."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-18, 08:33 AM
Suddenly showing interest in the conversation, Stenly looks at Daniel in annoyance and astonishment. "Must you be so bloody chipper? I haven't finished my breakfast!"

His bowl is, in fact, empty, but you probably saw he'd fallen asleep for a minute there.

"Somebody said something about permission, I think. Let's do find out the local laws and customs before we get ourselves hanged for poaching the lord's lizardmen, or some such, eh?"

Doomboy911
2012-05-19, 06:47 PM
Daniel heads to the opposite side of the city (opposite of where he came in) and approaches a guard. "If I pay the fee to leave the city can I try to leave with my grappling hook. You see I recently bought it and the moment I entered this beautiful place I wanted to try and scale your magnificent walls."

Mordae
2012-05-22, 04:02 PM
OOC: I'm going to assume that by "opposite" Daniel means "west", since the main gate is in the northeast corner on the east wall.

The corporal of the northwest tower guard gives Daniel a queer look. "Now that might be the craziest request I've ever heard. You do realize it's a hundred foot sheer drop down into briars, don't you?" He points down over the wall of the tower, where beyond the forty feet of the tower height there are rugged stone cliffs descending further toward the river valley below and to the west. It would take a mighty amount of rope to reach the bottom, and from there it's a hefty hike along shrub-studded rocky slopes to get back to the road.

Back at the tavern, the cyclops of a bartender nods sagely to Stenly's question. "See the quartermaster; his office is on the west end of the green. He can provide you with a letter of marque and a map of the surrounding wilderness."

TheTick
2012-05-22, 05:26 PM
"Gents, I suggest a visit to the quartermaster is in order." Renard glances over at Stenly. "After breakfast, of course."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-05-23, 01:01 PM
Stenly thanks the barkeep and raises his tankard to Renard, realizes it's empty and passes it over to the cyclops for a refill.

"I'll wait for you to catch up." He throws a wink to the nearest lady and guzzles his hair-of-the-dog. He sighs contentedly and leaves with the others, a happy spring in his step.

Duke of URL
2012-05-23, 01:09 PM
Valdamian heads with Renard to see the quartermaster.

Doomboy911
2012-05-23, 08:13 PM
"I do fancy myself an outdoorsman and a man who comes well prepared. If the rocks were enough to kill me than let them. I shall climb than descend than walk back up to the road. Unless you wish for me to do it as I come in." Daniel chuckles.

Doomboy911
2012-05-28, 12:42 AM
"On second thought all this gear is weighing me down. I should really go see my friends." Daniel heads off to his friends to deposit his belongings.

gunnar11
2012-05-28, 05:56 AM
Adomourne entered the lower level of the inn. He bought some breakfast and sat there wondering what to do next. It seemed his stubborn companions had gone into the city again, not caring about the groups integrity, or the fact that they still had to earn money or gain more knowledge...

"These morons...." he whispered to himself, and decided to take another bread and beer.

Mordae
2012-06-06, 03:58 PM
After some extended discussion with the quartermaster regarding the group's intentions, they receive a copy of the local area map and the official blessing of the Citadel guard to carry out offensive actions against the threats in the surrounding countryside. Daniel joins up with the rest of the group at the gate, with no explanation as to his absence, but looking a few pounds lighter in the pack.

The weather is a little warmer than yesterday, with a few stray clouds peeking around the snow-capped crags that line the narrow river valley. According to the map, it's roughly a day's walk to the Iron Falls. There are two possible paths: one leads along the east side of the Castellan River, where the ground is low and marshy, requiring a crossing by raft of one of the minor tributaries. The other leads along the west side of the river, but would require taking the raft on the more turbulent waters of the larger river itself.

TheTick
2012-06-06, 08:58 PM
As Renard stepped out of the game, he took a deep breath and smiled. While he could appreciate a decent bed and a hearth-cooked meal, he loved being on the road. Poring over the map with the rest of the team, he pointed out the marks on the large river that designated the swift moving water. "I'm a traveler by trade, but not a sailor. Unless we can hire a skilled guide with a boat, I'd rather avoid the rapids. There may be dangerous creatures the other way, but that threat I know how to deal with."

If the rest of the team wishes to go the other way, that's fine, but he wanted to put that out there.

Doomboy911
2012-06-06, 09:05 PM
"Indeed the low ground will be easy swimming for the lizardmen. Although I want to be civil with them I don't think they will. I'm willing to go that way though with my skills I might be able to set up an ambush. We can get some guards make them look so nice and when the lizards set upon them we can corner them. Which means we'll get hostages and witnesses."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-06-07, 01:18 PM
Stenly raises an ayebrow. "You want to sacrifice some of the keep's soldiers so we can get the jump on some lizards?"

He ticks off fingers as he makes his point. "How do you plan on talking them into it; how do plan to get away with it; and don't you have some sort of sour feeling in your belly that it may not be a nice thing to do?"

Doomboy911
2012-06-07, 02:03 PM
"No I don't want to sacrifice them and I ain't going to.They'll get some hostages from this and they'll be more than happy to catch them and if fail it won't be nice which is why I intend to succeed."

gunnar11
2012-06-07, 05:51 PM
"alright alright, calm down, childs... Adomourne says, while thinking of solutions. He analizes their party, and makes a judgement.
"I, for one, do not want to die. I prefer avoiding the rapids, the extremely risky plans, and the guard-offering. Why don't we just take the long route and take our time?" he asks.

Doomboy911
2012-06-07, 06:45 PM
"Long path has monsters though so expect me to hide in the trees like a brave sensible gent."

TheTick
2012-06-08, 07:20 AM
"Just keep your crossbow at the ready, then. If you're afraid of a few creatures, why are you here?" There is mirth in Renard's voice, though just a bit.

Duke of URL
2012-06-08, 01:34 PM
"The guards are here to guard, not be pawns in our game," Valdamian states flatly. "We have been given permission to do what we wish, but the guards are not ours to command. What we shall do, we must do on our own."

Doomboy911
2012-06-08, 11:09 PM
"Why do you all think that my plan consists of having the guards die. I might be a bit off but I'm no senseless murderer." Daniel than gathers some rope his crossbow his hook his climbers kit some bolts and heads out to the open road. "If we're taking the low water I suggest we send me ahead by a good distance at the first sign of trouble I'll take to the tree while blowing my whistle as loud as humanely possible."

Mordae
2012-06-25, 03:50 PM
With Daniel scouting ahead, the group of adventurers moves along the winding road leading down the mountainside from the Keep to the river. There are some signs of spider activity in the trees surrounding the road, but no webs are strung across the two-cart width of the dirt path, and the troupe passes unmolested.

At the water's edge, there is a lone barge tied to the pier--the vessel apparently belongs to a southern merchant, judging by the dark-skinned servants who are keeping watch over the unloading of barrels and crates. There are also a handful of log rafts on the bank, dragged up high enough that the tide will not lift them up from the mud and send them downriver, each equipped with a number of sturdy poles. It seems the river is crossed frequently enough that these rustic crafts are left here for common use.

It takes effort from all four party members to shove one into the water, whereupon it immediately begins trying to drift with the current.

To pole across the river here is quite easy and can normally be done by taking 10 on four strength rolls. If one is trying to cross while being chased by monsters, of course, that's a different story :smallbiggrin:

Doomboy911
2012-06-26, 09:48 PM
(Is there anything like a hole that I can secure a rope onto?)

"Don't go hopping in at the drop of the hat gents we might have some need to know information."

Search check for anything scraps of clothing specks of blood
[roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2012-06-27, 01:32 PM
"Pthpthpth!" says Stenly, spraying spittle into the morning air as he leaps onto a raft. "Let's go already. They're rafts - nothing interesting about'em."

He grabs a pole and waits for other to help him drag the thing back into the water ... takes his 10.

Doomboy911
2012-06-27, 10:55 PM
"Those are some real famous last words there." Daniel the cautious helps shove off making peace with his own deity.

TheTick
2012-06-28, 07:51 AM
Renard eyes the water for signs of animals as he helps guide the raft into the water.

Doomboy911
2012-07-11, 02:04 PM
Daniel searches along the shore for any footprints.

Mordae
2012-08-09, 03:55 PM
The team guides the raft carefully across the slow-moving waters, poling to the other side without much difficulty. The ground on the far bank is marshy, with reed-choked sand concealing small pools of water and the occasional mire. Daniel hops about, looking for footprints, but there don't seem to be any in the immediate area.

The larger river is about a quarter mile to the west, while to the east the ground slopes upward to the treeline about a half mile away. To the north is the vast expanse of fens.

gunnar11
2012-08-09, 07:44 PM
"I suggest we move towards the fens. Following the river will only lead us to the sea, while the woods, as everyone knows, is the number one place to be ambushed. "Adomourne said as soon as he stood on firm ground. He had never liked water, being one of the most difficult elements to control. It could take on any shape, and it could envelop many different characteristics. Water was different in each place.

Adomourne looked at the party. Everyone seemed in good spirits, of course because they hadn't encountered any monsters or evil yet. The journey had just begun, but soon everyone would fall either tired or wounded to the ground. He knew from experience that tired people liked to complain, and so fights would start. It was therefore necessary to select a leader. Someone who not only looked tough, but could also act it.

Adomourne himself wouldn't suffice , as he was physically frail. Nor would the roguish Daniel. Although very cunning, not so trustworthy, it seemed. It had to be Stenly or Renard, and of the two, Adomourne trusted Renard the most. Besides, Renard was holy.

"Renard, why don't you lead the group. You're physically able, and I as a caster am much more appreciated somewhere in the center, I might believe." and as such, as soon as the line formed he placed himself somewhere in the middle.

Quick question to the DM:
In a post on 26 June you said "all four party members". Was I excluded from that list? Am I still on the game, or was I already removed? Or were you talking about someone else?:smallconfused:

Mordae
2012-08-09, 08:05 PM
OOC:
No, I apparently can't subtract 1 from 6 and get 5...

I think we still have 5...
Duke of URL
gunnar11
Gorgon_Heap
Doomboy911
TheTick

Doomboy911
2012-08-09, 09:14 PM
Daniel ensures that he follows behind one of the others stepping in each of their footprints. "Head towards the tree I need to get off the ground as soon as possible." Daniel pulls his hood down a bit more to ensure his features are covered. "I figure I'll scout ahead I figure that the scalies want the land not the people. What they're using could spell a serious difference. If they got siege weaponry or area effecting weapons than they want the place destroyed but if they're dressed in something stealthier they might just want the people gone. That is if the brave leader wants that of me I have many uses at his disposal." Daniel says from atop a tree.

TheTick
2012-08-10, 07:38 AM
"If Daniel is willing to scout ahead from the trees, I can lead the brigade on the ground. It is good to be moving again, at any rate."

+3 Listen, +3 Spot

Doomboy911
2012-08-10, 09:42 AM
Daniel does a little bow than hops along the branches

Climb 3 jump 1 [roll0]
[roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-10, 10:26 AM
Stenly watches the others plod along for some minutes, and turns red when Adomourne starts calling out directions. When Daniel takes to the trees the gnome's face scres up and he eyes the wizard and Renard with jealous suspicion.

"Hey, bookworm, that's great. While he's off climbing some trees your wilderness expert'll just take a nap, huh? That's OK. Thanks."

He shambles along, affronted and grumpy and steadfastly refusing to be of any further use.

TheTick
2012-08-10, 11:51 AM
Renard winces at the now-obvious affront. "Stenly, if you wish to lead the ground procession, feel free. I would not allow anyone to walk towards danger before me without volunteering, is all." He pats his crossbow. "Besides, I can be as much use in the middle or the rear."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-10, 01:48 PM
"Oh, no no," Stenly says glumly, in pantomimed and sardonic contrition.

"I'm just as happy as you to rely on my bow and remain at a safe distance from any expected attack."

He smiles happily - and smugly - and swaggers alongside Renard through the field.

Doomboy911
2012-08-10, 11:26 PM
"You know if I was a bunch of lizard gents I'd be specifically avoiding the group of well armed people as oppose to perhaps a bunch of folks in robes or normal blokes but hey that's just me I'm weird like that." Daniel says before slinking off

+11 to hide and Move silently apparently.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Mordae
2012-08-24, 08:52 AM
With Daniel scouting from the trees, the rest of the procession proceeds along the edge of the forest, keeping watch for the lizardmen. There aren't any sightings, though, as the ground slowly slopes upward underfoot.

After five or six hours of steady march, the trees give way to jagged shale-rock hills, and the roar of water crashing down from above can be heard from the north. There is no more high ground for the eager trapspringer to use, so he keeps about fifty yards ahead and is the first to crest the last little mountain.

The Iron Falls stretch the entire length of the wide river as it ambles southwest, cascading in a series of small rapids before plunging almost a hundred feet into the slower-moving pool below. Above the falls is a relatively placid lake held back by rocky ridges on the south and west. The southern face is quite sheer, though there are jagged cracks and ridges along the face in which trees and other undergrowth have taken up residence. The western face is not visible from this side of the river.

TheTick
2012-08-24, 09:15 AM
Renard leads against a tree, mopping sweat from his brow. Marching in chain, even of elven make, is not easy work. He's about to voice his displeasure when he looks up and really sees the waterfall for the firs time. It's truly breathtaking, and it serves as a reminder of why priests of Fharlanghn travel the lands. Out loud he only says "What a lovely place. Which way from here, you figure, lads?"

Seriously, I'm looking for the map as I don't remember where we were going from here. Heh.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-24, 04:34 PM
Stenly spots and examines the scene with a scowl, his fists on his hips.

He agrees with Renard. "Yes, I can see this gods-awful place for the foul, corrupt and blighted land it is. Obviously no place so unnasuming could really be safe, eh?"

He grips at his weapons and then pokes around in his pack. "So. Who's hungry?"

gunnar11
2012-08-24, 04:43 PM
Adomourne whines for the hundreth time already: "Are we there yet? Can't we take another rest? Surely a seventh time isn't that much? For a mage like me-" and he doesn't finish his sentence. The landscape is breathtaking, and silentle he watches it. It seems like an eternity he and the group are standing, enjoying the view on the waterfall and the beautifull works the water and gravity pull off.
Finally, two of the group begin to speak, and so pull him out of his trance.
"I agree on having some lunch, maybe drink some water too while we're at it." Adomourne says. "After that we can build some kind of shelter and wait for the night, yes? Keeping on going is reckless. As for the destination, I suggest we continue to the southern side of the lake, to the undergrowth there, but, as I said, not until tomorrow." he looks around the group, waiting for approval.

TheTick
2012-08-24, 07:53 PM
Renard smiles and nods at Stenly. "This land may hold corrupt creatures, but it will endure long past the corruption itself. Kingdoms rise and fall, and this land will still be here. But I do go on. Yes, let's set up camp and have something to eat." He glances at Adomourne. "As for our path, I have no problem with that suggestion."

Doomboy911
2012-08-25, 11:25 AM
Daniel hops down from his hiding spot. ["Right very scenic very lovely but did anyone spot any tracks as they came along? Daniel begins drawing in the road.

Mordae
2012-08-27, 08:06 AM
Camp is set, and Stenly, Renard, Adomourne, and Daniel take turns keeping watch while the others rest from the hike. The next morning dawns late but clear, rapidly warming as the sun peers over the mountains that shroud the high river valley.

Daniel leads the way down the side of the hill and up again along the sheer south face of the reservoir above the falls. From up close, the narrow but useable paths along the cracks in the face are evident. So, too, are some trampled plants that indicate something has been by this way.

Stenly:
There seems to be a little hollow near the base of the falls. It's well hidden behind some bushes that appear to have been coerced to grow across the opening.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-08-27, 11:41 AM
Stenly enjoys some breakfast and grumbles about there not being any beer. He wanders a bit from camp, however, and can be seen near the waterfall, apparently mingling with a number of small animals - who seem to tolerate him more easily than the rest of you.

Make nice with some local critters and get an idea of the layout here, where the hole leads, and what sort of monsters are hereabouts. Whatever I can learn from my little friends.

Wild Empathy take 20 = 24
Cast Speak with Animals
Kno: Nature [roll0]
Kno: Dungeoneering [roll1]

Mordae
2012-08-27, 11:47 AM
Additional Stenly:
Note the above relative to the possible cave.

The local wildlife--a wood thrush and a pair of sparrows--are rather chatty and willing to tell you all about what they see from above. There are frequently scaly men coming out from behind the waterfall, but they mostly stay close to the river and do not bother the little birds when they fly away to the forest. There are also sometimes hairy men and orange men who come from the hole to fish, and they sometimes fight with each other.

Doomboy911
2012-08-27, 07:23 PM
Daniel makes a quick mental note of what he's seen and heads back. "Seems I'be got some pertinent information I can share with all of you but I need some pertinent information in return. When we find these giants what do you plan to do kill them or talk with them?"

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-05, 02:33 PM
The gnome walks about for some time, whistling and cooiong and softly cajoling several birds while alternatley slithering about on the ground and climbing up trees. For the uninitiated, it's a comical sight.

He returns happliy, however, and dusts himself off in satisfaction.

"They say there are scaly men who might live behind the waterfall who mostly stay close to the river. There are also sometimes hairy men and orange men - I dunno - orcs maybe? hobgoblins? who come from that hole to do fishing and fight with each other."

He points toward important features as he talks.

TheTick
2012-09-06, 01:06 AM
Renard nods as Stenly relates what his woodland creature friends told him. "The scaly folk are probably the troglodytes we seek. The others...I'd like to avoid being caught between competing groups, but maybe they'll weaken each other..." He looks at the others as he trails off.

Doomboy911
2012-09-06, 09:38 PM
Daniel leaps into a tree and stares down at them "Can't go running blind, won't do it, won't allow it. It's just unprofessional and a tad embarrassing. Oh wise leader if you want more than my criticism just order it." Daniel pulls an apple out and shines it with some cloth.

Mordae
2012-09-07, 08:54 AM
Before anyone can respond, an arrow comes flying out of the narrow gap by the falls. It crashes into the tree where Daniel was pontificating, missing him by inches.

TheTick
2012-09-07, 10:09 AM
[roll0]

"Daniel, watch yourself!" Renard shouts, and then begins muttering a prayer of protection.

Casting Entropic Shield - ranged attacks against me have a 20% miss chance. I will have my Heavy Crossbow at the ready ASAP. Can I see where the attack came from?

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-07, 10:11 AM
Stenly looks at Daniel smugly. "The gods have spoken."
He draws weapons and dives for cover.

gunnar11
2012-09-07, 10:51 AM
Adomourne seeks cover as Renard shouts.
He seeks cover himself too and casts Mage Armor on himself, after which he tries to get a clear view at the ones standing behind the waterfall (without him being an easy target, of course.

Casting Mage Armor

Doomboy911
2012-09-07, 11:32 AM
Daniel takes a bite of his apple staring up at the arrow for a brief moment acting as if he didn't even notice it. Daniel whispers The gods seem to be a poor shot" And than using his peripheral vision he watches the falls. "Nobody move I'm gathering information"

Ready an action to leap out of the way of another arrow while watching to see exactly where it came from.

Mordae
2012-09-11, 10:18 AM
Stenly, Adomourne, and Daniel take cover as Renard prepares himself with spell and bow. The attacks appear to be coming from a narrow cleft between the falling water and the damp rock cliff behind the falls. Another two arrows lance out from the dark spot; both deflect off of the invisible swirling forces that surround Renard.

Daniel:

From your vantage now, you can see the arrow that came at you first, just inches from your feet. The head is carved stone, razor sharp, and both the head and fletching are attached with twisted gut.

TheTick
2012-09-12, 11:18 AM
Renard cranes his neck, but can see nothing in the dark cavern by the waterfall. "Gents, I'm going move up to those rocks and see what I can see. I'll raise my right fist over my head if I spot any of the troublemakers."

Moving (probably a full round move since I don't have a target anyway) to get to that 30-40ft range you mentioned as still having partial cover. If I can spot the enemy, I'll signal as listed.

[roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-12, 05:24 PM
Stenly hunkers behind whataver's convenient, noks an arrow into his longbow's string and tries to find a target.

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Mordae
2012-09-13, 09:22 AM
Renard moves forward, tucking himself behind a boulder and peering down into the darkness. At the closer distance of thirty feet, he raises his fist as he takes in the situation.

Renard:

There are three human-looking figures doing the shooting. They don't appear to be using any military tactics, but are just hunting from concealment.

Stenly:

You can make out some movement from down there, but not enough to draw a firm target. Any attack would be at a -2.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-13, 09:38 AM
The gnome grins and watches a patch of trees closely. He waggles his brows in good-natured excitement at his companions. "Let's rush'em!" he says clearly. He then vaguely wiggles his fingers off to his left... and the sound of heavy plodding feet emanates from that direction, rushing up the hill to flank the attackers.

He then brings his bow back into line to loose at the first sign of movement.

Casts ghost sound to spook the baddies and prepares to fire on target next round. Please let me know if it's within 30 feet at that time.

gunnar11
2012-09-13, 05:14 PM
Adomourne tries to close in to the targets, tstopping before the place where either there is no more concealment, or he is able to see his enemies, whichever comes first.
He then begins to chant in the ancient languages, and gestures follow.

Moving until I see them, or where there is no cover.
After that, cast Magic Missile [roll0] if they are in view, if not, cast animalistic power on Renard

Doomboy911
2012-09-13, 08:26 PM
(Dm said I took cover and that my turn was spent doing that but seeing people ahead of me and behind me going confuses me.)

"Very unproffesional. Hey Tiny you've got animate rope in your bag of tricks because I've got some rope in my bag of tricks." Daniel says taking his rope out and tying it around a crossbow bolt.

Mordae
2012-09-20, 08:27 AM
As Renard and Adomourne move forward and the sound of additional troops comes from the downhill side of the falls, the shadowy figures look spooked. They fire another round of arrows, all of which sail safely over Renard's head, before vanishing back further into the dark recess behind the falls.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-09-24, 07:26 PM
Stenly courageously sits behind his tree stump and looses an arrow at fleeing backsides...

Attack [roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Doomboy911
2012-09-24, 08:38 PM
"Hey sorry about all these hostilities. We're looking for some Lizardmen. I've got some shiny gold for anyone who has any information." Daniel says from behind his rocky cover.

Mordae
2012-09-28, 09:53 AM
Stenly's shot in the dark strikes home. There is a cry and then a thump from within as one of the figures collapses. The rest flee into darkness.

Being the closest, Renard picks his way forward to examine the scene. The hole behind the waterfall is a tunnel in the damp and slippery stone, while the enemies were firing from a narrow, slick ledge jutting out just a couple of feet from the cliff. The one who was shot moments ago is a pale-skinned, hairless human whose pallid flesh is covered with crudely stitched goat skins. His hand-made bow lies just out of reach, but given the pool of blood under him and the trickle coming from his mouth, he won't be reaching for it again.

Doomboy911
2012-09-28, 10:06 PM
(Didn't really do anything outside of talking so I'm going to continue with my turn.)

Daniel casually moves forwards with crossbow in one hand. "Bloody unprofessional, unprepared, unnecessary, unpaid murder. So what is this raggedy mug doing out in the middle of nowhere."

TheTick
2012-10-01, 08:51 PM
"Murder? You're talking about him, right?" Renard nudges the body with his foot. "I don't recall any of us firing first, or calls to parley."

Doomboy911
2012-10-01, 10:55 PM
"Well it's still murder and I'll probably get in trouble for it." Daniel searches the body for anything, arrows, gold, or some personal possessions "There now it's an assassination if anyone asks Renard put the hit out on him because of his hair style or something."

gunnar11
2012-10-02, 04:33 AM
"Must we really have this kind of a conversation right now? I killed him, ok? Now let's move along..." Adomourne says, quite irritated

TheTick
2012-10-02, 07:08 AM
Renard catches Adomourne's attention just long enough to give him an eyeroll with a get a load of this guy head nod. Out loud, he says "Daniel, we have 'the official blessing of the Citadel guard to carry out offensive actions against the threats in the surrounding countryside', and I'm pretty certain someone shooting arrows at us without so much as a how do you do qualifies." Renard will then follow Adomourne wherever he's going, bow at the ready and re-loaded.

Doomboy911
2012-10-06, 07:50 PM
"Well that won't protect my ethical concerns let's just get this over with and kill them all." Daniel moves to the wall and tries climbing it. "I'm going in along the ceiling" Dan whispers.

Climb check
[roll0]

Mordae
2012-10-09, 12:36 PM
Renard, Adomourne, and Stenly examine the cave opening behind the waterfall carefully while Daniel climbs up the slippery, jagged rocks for a slightly elevated view.

The void is roughly nine feet in diameter, but after a short passage it opens into a larger cavern that is dimly lit by some sort of phosphorescence. The rough stone walls and floor are covered by patches of moss that give off just enough light to see by, but not enough to discern true colors or to read. The gallery extends in a generally northeast direction for about sixty feet before bending around a corner to the northwest and splitting into two. Just before the split, there is a dark opening on the east wall that appears to have been hand-carved.

TheTick
2012-10-09, 09:18 PM
Renard looks for obvious signs of traps. "Daniel, can you see anything dangerous here? Would hate to blunder into a trap in this near-dark."

Doomboy911
2012-10-09, 09:31 PM
"Well it's a bit dark I don't think they'd trap the ceiling. Considering that they'd be travelling through the area a lot. I've got an idea though." Daniel climbs down and lets out a bit of rope tying it around his waist than climbing back up he begins crawling along so the rope drags itself and the grappling hook along the floor. "Scream if you hear something click."

Climb [roll0]
Use rope [roll1]
Search[roll2]

Mordae
2012-10-11, 09:42 AM
Daniel's grappling hook drags a narrow, sinuous path across the floor of the widening gallery. He manages to get about halfway to the dark, hand-cut opening before the moist, mossy surface of the cavern gets the better of his climbing. The thief deftly lands on his feet, unhurt by the short fall.

TheTick
2012-10-11, 11:19 AM
"Well, it was worth a shot. Nice landing." Renard thinks for a moment, then puts away his crossbow, unslinging his shield and morningstar before walking slowly down the path Daniel had traced on the floor with his rope.

Mordae
2012-10-12, 01:04 PM
Cautiously, the group works their way along the rough stone floor of the natural cavern, catching up with where Daniel is standing. From this slightly further-in vantage, it appears the western split of the gallery widens out to the northwest, while the eastern split (just beyond the hand-cut opening)tapers down fairly substantially.

The dark, hand-cut opening is about thirty feet away. There are no signs of movement, but the muffled sound of agitated voices can be clearly heard.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-10-12, 01:46 PM
"Think we should knock?" asks Stenley, grinning. "I doubt they're discussing a good cake recipe."

TheTick
2012-10-12, 01:50 PM
"Perhaps we should ask them to surrender." Renard nudges Daniel as he says it.

gunnar11
2012-10-12, 01:58 PM
Let's just kill them and then tell it's my fault again. Adomourne says, obvious sarcasm dripping from his voice while he rolls with his eyes.

Preparing mage armor (if it's worn off)

Doomboy911
2012-10-13, 08:17 PM
"Produce light on a bolt" Daniel says in a hushed whisper.

TheTick
2012-10-15, 11:48 AM
Renard carefully prepares his crossbow, casting Light on the loaded bolt. If there is any sort of wooden structure, preferably on the ceiling, he will try and shoot the bolt into that to shed light into that hand-cut opening. Otherwise, he'll try and place it wherever it might do the most good.

After shooting: "If you wish to surrender, throw out your weapons and come out with all of your appendages visible!"

Doomboy911
2012-10-15, 06:26 PM
"Not sure why you want to see them drop their skivvies" Daniel puts his back to the wall at the intersection so any projectiles don't project into him.

TheTick
2012-10-16, 08:31 AM
"There's no guarantee these enemies are human shaped, and I don't want to be crushed by a tail or some other part just because I didn't technically mention it."

Mordae
2012-10-21, 10:43 PM
Not surprisingly, there is no response from within the hand-shaped tunnel. The chattering in the distance does diminish in volume, though.

Doomboy911
2012-10-22, 10:30 PM
How many more lights do we have and do we have any torches? Daniel tries to listen for an air flow from either tunnel.

[roll0]

Mordae
2012-10-23, 12:40 PM
The tunnels aren't exactly windy, but there is enough airflow from the main passage and the side passage to indicate they aren't perfectly sealed.

Mordae
2012-10-25, 11:12 AM
The light from the bolt illuminates the passage interior, which extends about fifteen feet at a slight downard slope before bending to the right. From his listening position, Daniel can see there is another bend to the left not much further along. Hanging on the wall directly opposite the opening is a dried animal skin, stretched taut on a wooden frame and decorated with dark reddish-brown streaks that do not resemble any known language or present an obvious picture.

Mordae
2012-11-14, 03:53 PM
Daniel takes the lead to search for traps, with Renard and Stenly covering his movements with their bows and Adomourne keeping watch behind.

The passage bends immediately right at the crude painting and proceeds another twenty feet to the south. There, it takes a second bend to the east, but there is a closed wooden door on the south face of the intersection.

Daniel:
You find no traps along the first twenty feet of passage. Peeking around the corner into the darkness, you can see the corridor runs to the east for a ways before branching north and east. The door itself does not appear to be trapped.

Doomboy911
2012-11-14, 08:45 PM
Daniel examines the door to see which way it opens. Are the hinges on my end or on the other end.

TheTick
2012-11-14, 10:36 PM
Renard hefts his morningstar. "Shall we knock?"

Doomboy911
2012-11-15, 08:28 AM
"You want to knock go right ahead I'll be hiding around the corner though."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-11-15, 10:05 AM
Face scrunching impatiently, Stenly hisses first at Renard, "You just stand behind where the door will open. You," he points to Daniel, "stand to the other side. I'll stand right here and wait for it to open. Go ahead. Knock."

He stands just in front of the door, feet splayed and bow armed and pointing directly at whatever might be on the other side.

If applicable, Ready action if a creature opening the door either attacks or is about to raise a cry.

TheTick
2012-11-15, 10:48 AM
Renard moves to the designated spot, readies his shield and morningstar, and raps on the door three times.

Doomboy911
2012-11-15, 01:22 PM
Daniel daringly dives down to behind the door.

Mordae
2012-11-16, 03:58 PM
The knock echoes through the stone hall, but the door remains as it is. There is no answer from beyond.

Doomboy911
2012-11-16, 04:46 PM
"Welp looks like no one's home. I guess we ought to get back to carrying all this heavy gold to our undefended castle." Daniel says a little too loud and starts to shake his coin bag.

TheTick
2012-11-18, 11:02 PM
Unless anyone objects, Renard will open the door far enough to see what lies beyond.

Daniel didn't find any traps, right?

Doomboy911
2012-11-18, 11:18 PM
Daniel objects with a knife. "If you want things done safely ask the guy who is thinking of booby trapping his booby traps so no one disarms the. Everyone back away from the door ready whatever range weapon you might have. Daniel grabs the glowing crossbow bolt spinning it over his hand for a moment than throws it at the door. "Get your ranged weapons ready." Daniel uses his knife and slips it beneath the door to see what lurks beyond.

Mordae
2012-11-29, 08:03 AM
The others watch from the hall as Daniel slips inside the room. Only limited torchlight beams in from the gap between the door and frame, but it's enough to identify this chamber as a storeroom. Cured animal hides are rolled up against the east wall, while crude clay pots dominate most of the floor. Near the west wall, dusty and disused, are racks of mining implements.

As Daniel searches, there is movement from down the hall to the east, as two pale faces poke around the corner of the northern split and send arrows toward the invaders. The first shatters harmlessly on the far wall, but the second manages to catch Renard through the lower part of his left leg.

At the sight of arrows, Adomourne launches a mystic bolt of energy toward the emerging threat. It slams into the first shooter, who seems quite dazed by the light.

Renard takes 1 point of damage.
Pale-skin #1 takes 4 points of damage (moderately wounded).

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]