PDA

View Full Version : Traveling must-haves?

Riverdance
2012-04-30, 06:49 PM
Kind of last minute here, I am leaving for the dominican republic in 10 hours, and I was wondering if there are any must-have travel items that you like to bring when going out of country. This will be my first time out of country (not including Canada, which really doesn't count up here in New England).

Katana_Geldar
2012-04-30, 06:56 PM
Anti-malarials? Do you have them and have you started taking them?

Riverdance
2012-04-30, 07:08 PM
I don't personally actually, but from what I've been told by the people down there and the people who went last year, it isn't much of an issue. A bunch of other people have them so I imagine worst case scenario I can always use theirs. I'm not too worried about it though. Nobody in the village we'll be in take them, and they don't seem to get it.

Katana_Geldar
2012-04-30, 07:25 PM
Um... anti-malarials don't work like that. You need to take them before you go away if you are going into a malaria area.

You did visit the doctor and check there aren't any shots you'll need to get or any you'll need boosted? Not a bad idea to get your tetanus up to speed.

Do you have a family member who has a copy of your travel documents and itinerary just in case something happens?

Do you know how to contact your travel insurance agency if something happens?

Serpentine
2012-04-30, 07:35 PM
Mm, I was told to take it before I went, and also after I left. Also apparently they're good basic antibacterials, so good for dealing with other common tropical ailments as well. I also drank cholera :3

Re. original question: lots of money :frown:

Katana_Geldar
2012-04-30, 07:51 PM
I thought cholera was a injection, as I had it with a few other vaccinations before I went away.

Serpentine
2012-04-30, 07:58 PM
You might be able to get it as an injection (I dunno, I had like 3 injection before I went). But I got to drink it. And it had right there in the ingredients: "Cholera". RabbitHoleLost can back me up on this, she was there.

Riverdance
2012-04-30, 09:59 PM
Um... anti-malarials don't work like that. You need to take them before you go away if you are going into a malaria area.

You did visit the doctor and check there aren't any shots you'll need to get or any you'll need boosted? Not a bad idea to get your tetanus up to speed.

Do you have a family member who has a copy of your travel documents and itinerary just in case something happens?

Do you know how to contact your travel insurance agency if something happens?

Yeah, I found out about that today so I guess I'm just not going to bother with the anti-malarials. I do have all the other stuff taken care of. I've had the tetanus booster since a door sunk a quarter inch into my heel two or three years ago.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-30, 10:49 PM
Underwear. You just can't bring enough underwear. I know I sound like a mom here, but it's true. Every time I travel abroad I always bring a couple of extra pairs of underwear and maybe socks. They don't take much space and you're no worse for the wear if you don't need them. But you will really wish you had them if you run short.

Going commando should always be a choice... not a destiny.

Karoht
2012-05-03, 03:22 PM
Socks.
Vaccinations.

Airplane Munchies. I recommend the airline candies in a tin, they usually contain ginseng. I personally enjoy the rhubarb + custard flavor myself.
Gum. Trust me.

That's pretty much it. Enjoy.

thubby
2012-05-03, 04:32 PM
socks
any medications you take in a labeled container.

your wad of cash should be spread among your things and your person.

Kneenibble
2012-05-03, 10:40 PM
See the Castillo del Mundo.

Go. See it.

turkishproverb
2012-05-03, 11:55 PM
Towel. No matter where you are, make sure you have your towel and know exactly where it is.

Perenelle
2012-05-06, 10:36 AM
The stuffed animal you sleep with, if you have one.

Not kidding, I know if I were going out of the country and tried sleeping without my stuffed dolphin I'd barely sleep at all. My arms would feel weird without hugging something.

Or if you don't have a stuffed animal to sleep with, you could get one before you leave.

Those vaccines might be kind of important too. :smalltongue:

Adlan
2012-05-10, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I found out about that today so I guess I'm just not going to bother with the anti-malarials. I do have all the other stuff taken care of. I've had the tetanus booster since a door sunk a quarter inch into my heel two or three years ago.

Malaria Sucks. If you aren't taking Anti Malarial's (And I highly recommend you do start taking them), then bring a good, strong insect repellent, and a mosquito net. Sleep under the Mosquito Net every night, use the insect repellent.

Seriously, you don't want to get Malaria.

You just don't.

Modern Drugs exist that can cure it, but thats no reason to risk contracting it.

Flashlight, Water Purification Tablets, Duct tape. A Legal (check local laws) multitool. Photocopies of your documents stored somewhere safe. Cash spread about your person.

GrlumpTheElder
2012-05-10, 09:42 AM
Modern Drugs exist that can cure it, but that's no reason to risk contracting it.

Don't want to scare you, but no they don't. Not completely cure it, anyway.

Some of the protozoa that cause malaria will remain in the body but immunity will gradually arise and periodic episodes will be less severe. Not all types though. Some are got rid of by the drug...

It can be prevented though, with anti-malarials taken BEFORE you catch it...

Serpentine
2012-05-10, 09:49 AM
Before we get all panicky on this, does the Dominican Republic actually have a problem with malaria?

DraPrime
2012-05-10, 11:28 AM
Basic hygiene stuff is a must. Toothbrush, deodorant, soap, shampoo, etc. Also, bring a sleeping bag. You may not always be in the most comfortable places when sleeping, so having your own lightweight sleeping bag is good. Also, make sure you have some sort of alarm clock, because you are likely to need to get up early every once in a while.

Karoht
2012-05-10, 11:35 AM
Before we get all panicky on this, does the Dominican Republic actually have a problem with malaria?I have a friend who visits the Dominican about 3-5 times a year. She's never mentioned anything about Malaria.

That said, if you want to be safe, drink lots of Gin and Tonic while you are there. Worked for Napoleon, supposedly. Not Gin and soda, it has to be Tonic Water. Has the added benefit of warding off things like Travellers Diarhea and generally settling your stomach. I also find that it's quite good for jetlag. I get at least one Gin and Tonic in me on long flights. Just make sure you balance each Gin and Tonic you have with a full bottle of water, maybe even two, if you want to be hangover free.

Chen
2012-05-10, 12:46 PM
Before we get all panicky on this, does the Dominican Republic actually have a problem with malaria?

From http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/dominican-republic.htm

we have

Areas of the Dominican Republic with Malaria: All areas (including resort areas), except none in the cities of Santiago and Santo Domingo. (more information)

If you will be visiting an area of the Dominican Republic with malaria, you will need to discuss with your doctor the best ways for you to avoid getting sick with malaria. Ways to prevent malaria include the following:

- Taking a prescription antimalarial drug
- Using insect repellent and wearing long pants and sleeves to prevent mosquito bites
- Sleeping in air-conditioned or well-screened rooms or using bednets

All of the following antimalarial drugs are equal options for preventing malaria in the Dominican Republic: Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, or mefloquine. For detailed information about each of these drugs, see Table 3-11: Drugs used in the prophylaxis of malaria. For information that can help you and your doctor decide which of these drugs would be best for you, please see Choosing a Drug to Prevent Malaria.

To find out more information on malaria throughout the world, you can use the interactive CDC malaria map. You can search or browse countries, cities, and place names for more specific malaria risk information and the recommended prevention medicines for that area.

If you click on the more information link it does say the risk is low though.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-05-10, 03:19 PM
In the realm of more helpful than essential, I recommend a pair of nail-clippers if you'll be in someplace for more than a week. When I was younger I went on a school-funded trip and spent about a month in France, and a little over a week into the trip I realized my nails were probably going to be too long by the time things were over, so I forked over a euro or two for a souvenir clipper in Chamonix that I still have to this day.

And make sure you have a money belt to store your passport and essential cash. You WILL run into thieves.

t209
2012-05-10, 03:24 PM
Do you need to take anti malarials if you are born in tropical area (for me, it's burma and I never had malaria even with many mosquito bite)? Well, you need insect bite medicine.

Eldan
2012-05-10, 06:49 PM
You still should, yes. Just because you never got it so far, doesn't mean you won't.

By the way, the swiss tropical institute, which are usually reliable, also list:

Tetanus
Diphtheria
Hepatitis A, B
Typhoid
Rabies

As diseases you should get a vaccination for.

And Dengue as well.

dehro
2012-05-11, 06:00 AM
Towel. No matter where you are, make sure you have your towel and know exactly where it is.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

been to Santo Domingo with mt family, back when my little brother and sister were about a year old. none of us bothered with anti malaria stuff.
did get those when I went to Sri Lanka.
I'm kinda used to travel a lot for work, so I'm not sure what to suggest you bring, because it all sounds rather obvious to me.
a copy of your passport sounds like a good idea, so you can leave the original in the hotel..or the other way around if the local laws say you must have the original on you at all times.
also, bring your other personal ID and keep it separate from your Passport...so you have backup ID in case of theft or loss of your primary.
your favourite toothpaste or other hygiene brands may be hard to come by...but that matters only if you're not flexible on these things.

band-aid. can't go wrong with those.

THAC0
2012-05-11, 04:52 PM
You still should, yes. Just because you never got it so far, doesn't mean you won't.

By the way, the swiss tropical institute, which are usually reliable, also list:

Tetanus
Diphtheria
Hepatitis A, B
Typhoid
Rabies

As diseases you should get a vaccination for.

And Dengue as well.

There's a preventative vaccination for Rabies that isn't for pets?

...Although if they have it for pets, why not people. Hmm. To the google!

SDF
2012-05-11, 06:21 PM
I've been to a Club Med in the DR when I was younger. Pretty sure I never took anti-malarials, but iuno doctor issues.

I never go anywhere without my music, I'd probably go mad on long plane rides. I was in the window seat next to a baby on a 24 hour flight from Tokyo to San Franciso, and don't think I would have made it without extensively listening to the Number Girl album I had bought on the trip. :smalltongue: Snacks are always good, but keep in mind current airline restrictions with things like drinks (salty snacks without a drink are no good). Power converts can be important, but DR runs 110v compared to the US's 120v, and both are at 60Hz so the difference there should be inconsequential.

t209
2012-05-12, 10:23 AM
There's a preventative vaccination for Rabies that isn't for pets?

...Although if they have it for pets, why not people. Hmm. To the google!

In case, if mad dog bit you.

THAC0
2012-05-12, 02:16 PM
In case, if mad dog bit you.

Well yes, obviously.

I was aware that there was a series of shots to get AFTER exposure for people, but not that there was a preventative vaccination. According to google, the preventative is not commonly available and is recommended for those who are travelling to areas with high rates of rabies. I was just surprised that it's not more commonly used, you know? We just had someone die from rabies around here.

GrlumpTheElder
2012-05-12, 05:17 PM
Lucky to live in the UK - It's a rabies free country. Along with NZ,

Katana_Geldar
2012-05-12, 07:52 PM
In the realm of more helpful than essential, I recommend a pair of nail-clippers if you'll be in someplace for more than a week. When I was younger I went on a school-funded trip and spent about a month in France, and a little over a week into the trip I realized my nails were probably going to be too long by the time things were over, so I forked over a euro or two for a souvenir clipper in Chamonix that I still have to this day.

If you get nail clippers, put them in your checked baggage, not your hand luggage. Otherwise you'll lose them.

dehro
2012-05-12, 09:23 PM
If you get nail clippers, put them in your checked baggage, not your hand luggage. Otherwise you'll lose them.

I've brought them along traveling across europe without a problem
during the early post 9-11 years it could go both ways, then they decided that getting manicured to death wasn't much of a threath. nail-files I have seen being seized