PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Does Lucky Halfling work exactly as it says?

holywhippet
2012-04-30, 08:53 PM
I noticed the Lucky Halfling feat in Pathfinder, at first glace it seems simple - you can make a saving throw and your ally can use your result instead of theirs.

But then I wondered, what about special conditions for saving throws? For example, rogues and monks get evasion which lets them ignore damage if they make their saving throw against a reflex save. In that case, does the ally get the benefit of the halfling's special ability? The text does suggest you make the saving throw as though you were the one requiring it.

Laniius
2012-04-30, 10:44 PM
From how I read it they just get the dice roll. Any special things (like evasion) don't cross over.

However, if the target has evasion and you don't, they get to use it.

It's basically just a reroll system from what it looks like to me.

grarrrg
2012-04-30, 10:56 PM
I agree with Laniius, they only get the benefit of your Die Roll/Number.

On a semi-related note, the Halfling Opportunist PrC can boost your saves by another +2 All Saves, and has good Ref/Will saves as well.

Mari01
2012-05-01, 12:00 PM

On a semi-related note, the Halfling Opportunist PrC can boost your saves by another +2 All Saves, and has good Ref/Will saves as well.

I was interested in that prestige class, but I can't find anything on whether its worth it or not. For the typical halfling rogue (for example), is that class worth picking up all 5 levels before continuing to something else?

Larpus
2012-05-01, 02:17 PM
I was interested in that prestige class, but I can't find anything on whether its worth it or not. For the typical halfling rogue (for example), is that class worth picking up all 5 levels before continuing to something else?
This isn't a question with a simple answer and might be enough of an off-track to warrant a new thread altogether, but for a Rogue and in my humble opinion...yeah, it seems worth it, maybe not for the full 5 levels, but 4 levels do seem worth it.

You don't lose too much nor gain too much, but what you lose vs. what you get seems to be fairly balanced, especially given that you can pick up rogue talents with feats.

It isn't as much of an change as a different extension of the class. As it's neither the best idea nor a bad idea by any means (as in, compared to straight Rogue, multiclass and dipping makes the issue a whole other beast).

Mari01
2012-05-01, 02:43 PM
This isn't a question with a simple answer and might be enough of an off-track to warrant a new thread altogether, but for a Rogue and in my humble opinion...yeah, it seems worth it, maybe not for the full 5 levels, but 4 levels do seem worth it.

You don't lose too much nor gain too much, but what you lose vs. what you get seems to be fairly balanced, especially given that you can pick up rogue talents with feats.

It isn't as much of an change as a different extension of the class. As it's neither the best idea nor a bad idea by any means (as in, compared to straight Rogue, multiclass and dipping makes the issue a whole other beast).

I'll go make that thread right now haha.

Dr_S
2012-05-02, 06:12 AM

but it includes the line
"as if you were the one subject to the effect requiring it."

I agree they wouldn't get your evasion, because that's not your save roll.
but they should get your total save modified by anything that would effect your saving roll, not just the dice value + their save.

I.E. A 4th level Dwarf Cleric with 12 Dex rolls Evasion, and gets a 9 on the dice +1 for Dex +1 for Base save, +2 for racial bonus for a total of 13...
His 4th level halfling rogue friend is all like "Wait" *rolls* and also rolls a 9 gets +4 for his 19 Dex, +4 for his base save +1 for racial bonus on all saves, and his save total is 18 the dwarf should be able to take the 18.

("Saving Throw" based on the PFSRD refers to the total result and not just the die roll by itself)