PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions thread

oppyu
2012-04-30, 11:51 PM
Because it isn't ideal to start a new thread for any question you have about really old strips.

In the Bandit Camp arc, Elan is captured by the bandits and uses a spell (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0156.html) to free himself from the ropes, but doesn't use it again once he's recaptured and about to be hanged. Can someone explain this? Is there a one-a-week limit to whatever spell he used?

rgrekejin
2012-05-01, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure, but I think that the spell would have been "Animate Rope". The first time, he was tied up by a low-level rogue, and thus could wiggle his hand free enough for the somatic component. The second time, he was bound by a much more competent bandit, and wasn't able to free up his hands enough to cast the spell. I could be wrong, though.

ti'esar
2012-05-01, 01:02 AM
Not quite as old, but does anyone know just what Grubwiggler and his assistant were supposed to be? The most we get for their species is "froggy dude".

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-01, 05:11 AM
I'm not sure, but I think that the spell would have been "Animate Rope". The first time, he was tied up by a low-level rogue, and thus could wiggle his hand free enough for the somatic component. The second time, he was bound by a much more competent bandit, and wasn't able to free up his hands enough to cast the spell. I could be wrong, though.

Possibly, but when they are discussing trying to escape in comic 161 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0161.html), Elan also says that he's already used all his useful magic.

rgrekejin
2012-05-01, 08:23 AM
Possibly, but when they are discussing trying to escape in comic 161 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0161.html), Elan also says that he's already used all his useful magic.

Yes, but they go to the hangman the next day. It's possible Elan hasn't gotten the chance to replenish his spells, though.

NerfTW
2012-05-01, 10:38 AM
Because it isn't ideal to start a new thread for any question you have about really old strips.

Not really. It's far easier to get a quick answer if your question is in the thread title. Then, once answered, it will just drop off the front page. No reason to make a thread just for whatever constitutes a "quick question" and hope it stays on the front page, or that anyone can find your question amongst the others.

Yes, but they go to the hangman the next day. It's possible Elan hasn't gotten the chance to replenish his spells, though.

No, it's dawn. they attacked while everyone was asleep initially. No more than 8-10 hours passed. Not enough to replenish spells.

rgrekejin
2012-05-01, 10:52 AM
No, it's dawn. they attacked while everyone was asleep initially. No more than 8-10 hours passed. Not enough to replenish spells.

...I don't see what you're getting at. For a bard, only 8 hours and 15 minutes need to have passed for him to replenish his spells. Although I suppose he needs to have been able to sing or something for those last 15 minutes, which is probably not the case. Still, it does seem more likely that he wouldn't have had a chance to prepare his spell slots again, so I guess I'll accept this view.

Kish
2012-05-01, 11:52 AM
...I don't see what you're getting at. For a bard, only 8 hours and 15 minutes need to have passed for him to replenish his spells. Although I suppose he needs to have been able to sing or something for those last 15 minutes, which is probably not the case. Still, it does seem more likely that he wouldn't have had a chance to prepare his spell slots again, so I guess I'll accept this view.
Eight hours of rest, fifteen minutes of concentration, and for it to be the next day.

Whether Elan got eight hours of rest before the Order's planned murder is highly questionable; he almost certainly didn't get fifteen minutes of concentration, and whether the sun had even been up for fifteen minutes is uncertain.

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-01, 05:06 PM
I'd wager it's pretty hard to rest while you are all tied up.

Forikroder
2012-05-01, 08:40 PM
I'd wager it's pretty hard to rest while you are all tied up.

ya he wouldnt count as getting his rest so couldnt prepare new spells for the day

plus hes Elan

Steward
2012-05-01, 08:52 PM
Does Elan really have to prepare spells?

theNater
2012-05-01, 11:31 PM
No, but he can only use so many spells per day, and needs to rest to recover those uses.

ScubaGoomba
2012-05-02, 12:35 AM
Not quite as old, but does anyone know just what Grubwiggler and his assistant were supposed to be? The most we get for their species is "froggy dude".

Kind of figured they were just sickly old humans, all disfigured and such due to various necromantic experiments.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-05-03, 06:44 AM
No. He is a spontaneous spellcaster. He doesn’t prepare spells. But to recover spell slots, he still must spend 15 minutes of concentration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#dailyReadyingofSpells) after getting a full night’s rest.

As to whether being tied up allows one to rest for the purpose of regaining spells, I would say, no it does not. It seems to me that it would be more uncomfortable and distracting than light conversation, which does prevent proper rest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#rest).

Steward
2012-05-03, 10:52 AM
after which he spends 15 minutes concentrating. (A bard must sing, recite, or play an instrument of some kind while concentrating.)

Oh, yeah! And Elan probably would not have been able to sing or play an instrument while he was tied up, because the bandits probably would have hurt him if he did.

hamishspence
2012-05-03, 12:36 PM

And there are quite a few froggy dudes out there- though some got moved to a Faerun-specific monster book in 3.0.

Bullywugs, sivs (Monsters of Faerun) grippli (Dragon Magazine), smaller slaadi like the Mud Slaad (Fiend Folio) and the Grey Slaad and Death Slaad (identical lookswise) in Monster Manual. And the neraphim (Planar Handbook)

If you're going for "only slightly froggy" Chaonds (slaad-descended planetouched) in MM2 may qualify.

I'm assuming Large froggy dudes (hydroloth in 2nd ed, hezrou in Monster Manual) are ruled out due to size.

Steward
2012-05-03, 03:37 PM
I think if they were high-level fiends they would have used their powers more! :D