PDA

View Full Version : Spell Granting Feats

Roto
2012-05-01, 12:46 AM
I'm playing a 3.5 game as a Dread Necromancer. I was wondering what feats are out there that give you extra spells known.

Does anyone know of any? Or have a list? Any books but Eberron are good. Dragon Magazine is perfectly ok.

Deox
2012-05-01, 12:47 AM
Mother Cyst, I think from Libris Mortis, gives access to a slew of nasties which will fit perfectly with a Dread Necro.

Hirax
2012-05-01, 12:54 AM
Mother Cyst, I think from Libris Mortis, gives access to a slew of nasties which will fit perfectly with a Dread Necro.

Seconded 100%. If you're into having minions, mother cyst is for you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-01, 01:34 AM
The Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium give you a spell known of every level from 1-9th. Each such feat has its own specific list of similarly themed spells, and each prohibits you from casting spells of a certain descriptor opposite to that theme (for example, Necromantic Bloodline prohibits you from casting Conjuration: Healing spells; Air Bloodline prohibits you from casting spells with the Earth descriptor, etc.).

Spuddles
2012-05-01, 02:11 AM
Arcane Disciple will give you the spells of a domain of your deity. Can only use those spells 1/day, though.

Vizzerdrix
2012-05-01, 04:28 AM
Cerebrosis (DR330) will net you 11 spells, but be careful using them.

Runestaffs, I think, are useable by DNs.

You might be able to beg your DM for a Drake Helm (even though it is Eberron material).

One of the Dragon Mags has things called Knowstones. Again, not sure if you can use them or if they are Sorc only.

Heroes of Horror has a feat chain that ends up giving a few dream related spells. I think the general consensus is they're not worth it though.

A changling can take the recaster PrC to get any two spells it wants from any list. Eberron, but worth mentioning for completeness.

I wonder if Mage of the Arcane Order and/or Sandshaper dips would benefit, or even be possible.

Elfinor
2012-05-01, 05:21 AM
Cerebrosis (DR 330) grants far realm themed spells. Most of them are uninspiring (and disgusting) but there are a couple of good spells (amoeba crawler). It requires a DC 25 Knowledge (Arcana) check followed by a DC 28 one, though. And you need to spend 400gp in conjunction with a journey to a cerebral blot (see article) or 1400gp and a week of downtime. Since you probably have decent minionmancy capabilities, I don't think I'd recommend it. But, hey, it's there if you want a look.

Wormbound (DR 343) grants (mostly) better spells, standout being the 2nd level Path of Worms. You can activate the effects of the spell (+6 insight bonus to AC or one saving throw/attack roll/skill check) even when flatfooted, when activated it stuns all in a 20 ft. radius. Bad news: You need to succeed on DC 15 fortitude save or die to grab the feat:smallannoyed: and spend 500gp for the pleasure of it.

Edit: semi-ninja'd

Duke of URL
2012-05-01, 10:13 AM
Arcane Disciple will give you the spells of a domain of your deity. Can only use those spells 1/day, though.

+1 to this. Works best with a WIS of 13 or higher so you can eventually cast 9th-level spells with a WIS +6 item, but a great way to get extremely useful spells like desecrate and magic circle against <alignment> on your spell list.

Of course, with your Charisma score, you might also want to consider just taking cross-class ranks in UMD if you can afford it, so you can always get the spell you need in wand/scroll/staff form if you can't get it on your spell list.