PDA

View Full Version : [BBEG Help] Shadow-Themed Homebrew

TravelLog
2012-05-01, 01:39 AM
Hey Playground, I'm running a campaign for a few of my friends that is heavily centered around shadows and the interplay between light and darkness. I'm building the main enemies as 7 Heralds of Shadow, and I was looking for some interesting shadow-themed homebrew to give them some interesting surprises. So if you know of anything of the that nature, let me know! (Or if there are just some awesome BBEG-type classes that you like, feel free to post those as well, regardless of their theme).

Feralventas
2012-05-01, 01:47 AM
Plenty.

Shadowcraft Mage, of which IIRC is a prestige class for making illusions more real.

Shadowspy, of Complete Champion is a servant of Pelor who skulks in the shadows to further the causes of Pelor's radiance.

Shadowcaster, a class in the Tome of Magic. It's mechanically weak in confrontation, but has lots of non-combative survivability (not needing to eat, sleep, or breath much at later levels, can make for a drawn-out confrontation in an inhospitable area.). There are also several Shadowcaster Prestige classes that other 'casters qualify for (Master of Shadow, emphasizes Familiar as a shadow creature. Child of Night, which grants the sustaining aspects of shadow over 10 levels. Noctumancer, Acane/Shadow combination class, lots of Dispelling and Counterspell bonuses. Shadowblade, a Fighter-ish class with Sudden Strike, and Shadow Smith, for crafting items and tools and gear out of darkness.)

Void Disciple, in Complete Divine, and Black Fire Adept in the same.

Feralventas
2012-05-01, 01:58 AM
Additionally, there's the Swordsage of which can specialize in the Shadow Hand school of martial maneuvers, emphasizing stealth, sneak attacks, mobility and debilitating strikes.

Warlocks can see in Darkness and Magical Darkness, as well as creat it via an SLA (INvocation) so as to befuddle and harm enemies while unseen.

The Tome of Magic also has a bitchin' +1 LA template called Dark Creature that works well for any stealthy character.

Runestar
2012-05-01, 07:21 AM
Unapproachable east has temflamar (sp?) shadowlord. Google for builds involving it, it can use some sort of shadow-based pounce.

TravelLog
2012-05-01, 08:32 AM
While I very much appreciate the advice, I'm familiar with pretty much everything WotC, as are my players. That's why I'm looking specifically for Homebrew content. :smallsmile:

Answerer
2012-05-01, 08:49 AM
Descent of Shadows (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519), pretty much the answer to this question. A thorough, detailed, and well-done re-imagining of Tome of Magic's Shadow Magic.

TravelLog
2012-05-01, 08:54 AM
Bookmarked! Thanks! :smallsmile:

Come on playground, feed the hungry DM!