PDA

View Full Version : Manyshot + Arrowsplit

Kansaschaser
2012-05-01, 08:04 AM
I apologize if someone has already answered this question, but the search function keeps giving me an error message.

Anyway, I was wondering how the Manyshot feat and the Arrowsplit spell work together.

Manyshot states that you make one attack roll for all the arrows you fire.

The Arrowsplit spell is from the Champions of Ruin and it states that when you shoot an arrow, it splits into 1d4+1 identical arrows in flight. You have to make a seperate attack roll for each arrow.

So, when used together, do I make one attack roll for the group of arrows or do I have to make one attack roll for each arrow? Or, is this a situation where I get to choose one or the other?

Scots Dragon
2012-05-01, 08:13 AM
Simplicity goes in favour of just rolling one. Though if I were DMing it, I'd allow you to roll each separately if it were a long odds situation.

Anxe
2012-05-01, 08:56 AM
Manyshot happens first because that's putting a couple different arrows on your bow and shooting them all at the same time (At least it is in my mind). Let's say you put 3 arrows there. Then you roll for arrowsplit and you get a 5, a 2, and a 3.

We're supposed to roll 1 attack for manyshot, but more than one for the arrows. Let's make it both!
1st attack roll is applied to arrowsplit #1 from manyshot #1, manyshot #2, and manyshot #3.
2nd attack roll is applied to arrowsplit #2 from manyshot #1, manyshot #2, and manyshot #3.
3rd attack roll is applied to arrowsplit #3 from manyshot #1 and manyshot #3 (Not #2 because it didn't get that many arrowsplits).
4th attack roll is applied to arrowsplit #4 from manyshot #1 (Not #2 or #3 because they didn't get that many arrowsplits).
5th attack roll is applied only to arrowsplit #5 from manyshot #1, just like the 4th attack roll was.

This was you're paying homage to the rules from both attack "modes." However, this is a lot of rolling and pretty complicated. It might be simpler to just do one attack roll for all arrows or for each individually. Up to you and the DM.

Kansaschaser
2012-05-01, 10:29 AM
The only reason I'm wondering is because in the game I'm playing in I have a character that will be using this combo at level 6. That's only three more levels away.

If we take it as RAW(Read As Written), then they conflict with each other, even though they can be used with each other. I'm kind of hoping someone can come up with a good reason or official ruling so I can show my DM what we need to do when I use this combo.

Another reason I'm asking is because I plan to use Hunter's Mercy(Spell Compendium). It allows the first ranged attack roll I make in the round to be an automatic critical. If I have to make multiple attack rolls, then only one of the arrows will be a critical. If I only make one ranged attack roll, then all of the arrows will be criticals.

mizark3
2012-05-01, 12:25 PM
Manyshot can only apply precision damage (eg. sneak attack, skirmish, crit) once and all other arrows deal normal damage. Greater Manyshot allows precision on each arrow, but each arrow requires a seperate attack roll. So Hunter's Mercy could not combo with Manyshot.

Zilzmaer
2012-05-01, 04:22 PM
Arrowsplit splits one arrow into several. Manyshot fires multiple arrows. You would use one roll for the Manyshot, and a separate roll for each magical copy. However, the spell would only work on one arrow, not all arrows in the Manyshot.

Lost in books
2013-04-06, 09:57 AM
1st round cast hunter's mercy. Your first (i.e. single) arrow hit in next round is confirmed crit.
2nd round swift action Arrowsplit apply it to one of your masterwork arrows in the manyshot bundle. So for simplicity the attack would be like this:
1st MW arrow of manyshot= 1d4+1 arrows, roll each individual as all can get critical. 1st arrow is guarantee critical with hunter's mercy.
Once all arrows from Arrowsplit have been resolved finish with the rest of manyshot which can't critical unless you have greater manyshot.

I like this combo and use it a lot on my archers. Especially since I can get it earlier than realistically buying the splitting enchantment. All kind of neat tricks with arrowsplit and manyshot! :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-07, 07:51 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread Necromancy is prohibited here.