PDA

View Full Version : DnD & Projector Compatibility

Gandolfi Feesh
2012-05-01, 10:13 AM
Why is a first surface mirror required when using a projector?
I understand that ghosting effects occur with a regular mirror, my inquiry focuses on why the mirror itself is required in the first place.

My friends and I play DnD every Monday and we're looking to project the D20 Pro battle-map onto the tabletop. The ceiling is roughly 10-12' from the tabletop. Is a first surface mirror required, or can I simply tilt the projector 180 degrees and project the image straight onto the tabletop?

We have approximately a £200 budget to work with. I'm no stranger to DIY, so I'm not fussed about putting in some groundwork for the best possible result. That being said, if the difference in quality will be minimal, I would rather mount it in the simplest fashion.

Any help and tips are much appreciated.
Thanks.

Eldebryn
2012-05-01, 11:26 AM
Why is a first surface mirror required when using a projector?
I understand that ghosting effects occur with a regular mirror, my inquiry focuses on why the mirror itself is required in the first place.

My friends and I play DnD every Monday and we're looking to project the D20 Pro battle-map onto the tabletop. The ceiling is roughly 10-12' from the tabletop. Is a first surface mirror required, or can I simply tilt the projector 180 degrees and project the image straight onto the tabletop?

We have approximately a £200 budget to work with. I'm no stranger to DIY, so I'm not fussed about putting in some groundwork for the best possible result. That being said, if the difference in quality will be minimal, I would rather mount it in the simplest fashion.

Any help and tips are much appreciated.
Thanks.

I have the impression that some projectors are rather sensitive in regards to the angle they are tilted and it is generally better to not have them face the floor or the ceiling. I am no engineer though and have little experience with such hardware, so just to be safe I would recommend asking someone in a shop that sells them.