PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Halfling Opportunist

Mari01
2012-05-01, 02:47 PM
I was interested in that prestige class, but I can't find anything on whether its worth it or not. For the typical halfling rogue (for example), is that class worth picking up all 5 levels before continuing to something else?

CTrees
2012-05-01, 03:03 PM
Opportunity Attacker is a pretty nice capstone for a five level class, honestly. You just have to be able to get plenty of AoOs, which is easier if you have reach... yeah. I'd still strongly consider it for a rogue, since you lose little roguishness.

grarrrg
2012-05-01, 06:10 PM
I would recommend the Opportunist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/halfling-opportunist) for most Non-Casting Halfling builds. The exact number of levels recommended varies, but most all can benefit.
Special note: Opportunist is not advised for 'Jinx' Halflings (unless you work something out with the DM).

Let's start with the Entry Requirements.
Must be Halfling: fair enough, won't be getting many Monks, but other than that.
Defensive Combat Training: if you're entering with Rogue (or any 3/4Bab), then this feat will be semi-useful to you, otherwise it's just a feat tax.
Perception 5, this is a gimme, Perception is useful enough that you'll probably have points in it anyway.
Stealth 5, this is less likely for most classes, typically only Rogues/Rangers will have points invested.

End result: Entry is very easy, as any 5th level Halfling can qualify.

So what's in it for you? For starters, it's built like a Rogue, d8HD, 3/4 Bab, 6 Skills/level, and 1d6 Sneak damage every 2 levels.

I see 3 main "investment options"
Trapper (typically Rogue, or Ranger w/Trapfinding): If you are the party's Trapfinder (and encounter a fair number of traps), then 2 levels is strictly better than 2 levels of Rogue.
You gain the Trap Spotter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/trap-spotter-ex) Rogue Talent, out to a range of 20ft., and a +1 bonus to All Saves, and +1d6 Sneak Attack. In exchange, you lose 4 skill points (compared to Rogue), and... that's about it.

"Rogue" (typically Rogue): The next 2 levels trades 4 more skill points for another +1 to All Saves, and trades a Rogue Talent for the option to use Disguise in place of Diplomacy. Also, another +1d6 Sneak Attack.

"Fighter" (typically 'fighting' Rogues and Rangers): All 5 levels, the 5th grants an awesome ability, ALL of your Attacks of Opportunity activate your Sneak Attack damage. This is recommended more for multi-class Rogues, Rogue for Sneak Dice, [Full Bab] for the Bab/HD.

Larpus
2012-05-02, 09:58 AM
Indeed, as I mentioned in the thread that spawned it, this PrC pretty much looks and works as an archetype, kinda like "this is a Rogue and this is a Halfling Rogue".

It's pretty well balanced in that you don't lose much and don't gain much either, but it's easy to enter and the losses are quite on par with the winnings.

It might even be an interesting option to get Sneak Attack into classes/builds that normally wouldn't get them, since the entry requirements is so low.

But, as grarrrg said, it most probably isn't in the best interest of casty Halflings due to the loss of casting levels, but other than that, might be quite worthy on a build to build basis.