PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Base Class PEACH

White_Drake
2012-05-01, 05:11 PM
I really like Assassin's so I thought that they deserved a base class. Please tell me about any horrendous errors that make you want to shoot yourself (or me, for that matter :smallbiggrin:). I'm pretty sure this is slightly to moderately overpowered, but I like all of these features, and I want to know which ones you guys think I ought to cut. I also need a good name, personally I like Stygian Sentinel, but I think that that's a bit obscure (I crack me up). Any help on making the fluff into something less cheesy would also be greatly appreciated.

Level |
BAB|
Fort |
Ref |
Will |
Special |
Spells per Day
| | | | | | 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Sneak Attack +1d6 | — — — —
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +0 | Evasion | — — — —
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3 | +1 | Sneak Attack +2d6, Poison Use | — — — —
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Uncanny Dodge, Track | 0 — — —
5th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Sneak Attack +3d6 |0 — — —
6th | +4 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Bonus Ambush Feat | 1— — —
7th | +5 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Sneak Attack +4d6 | 1— — —
8th | +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +2 | Improved Uncanny Dodge | 1 0 — —
9th | +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +3 | Sneak Attack +5d6 | 1 0 — —
10th | +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Hamstring | 1 1— —
11th | +8/+3 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Sneak Attack +6d6, Hide in Plain Sight | 1 1 0 —
12th | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Bonus Ambush Feat, Penetrating Blow | 1 1 1 —
13th | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Sneak Attack +7d6 | 1 1 1 —
14th | +10/+5 | +4 | +9 | +4 | Blinding Strike | 2 1 1 0
15th | +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +9 | +5 | Sneak Attack +8d6 2 | 2 1 1 1
16th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Skill Mastery | 2 2 1 1
17th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Sneak Attack +9d6 | 2 2 2 1
18th | +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Bonus Ambush Feat | 3 2 2 1
19th | +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Sneak Attack +10d6 | 3 3 3 2
20th | +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +6 | Crippling Strike | 3 3 3 3

Night Hunter
Night Hunters are precision killers, skilled in dispatching a foe from amongst dozens. They share many abilities with Rogues, but they do not share that class’s unmatched versatility. Some would call Night Hunters mere Assassins, but that is an overly negative characterization. Some Night Hunters do use their abilities to work as knives for hire, but nearly as common are the ones who act as scalpels to remove evil opposition in ways paladins could not. A few Night Hunters even see their abilities as much of an art form as any prose or painting.

Characteristics: Night Hunters are experts at the art of stealth killing. Sharing some abilities with Rogues they are capable of picking locks, or disabling traps, but this is all to further their true art, which is that of killing unwary foes. Mid level Night Hunters learn to cast some spells, due to the fact that some magical ability is so helpful in their calling.

Alignment: On the whole neutral or evil Night Hunters out number the good ones, because it’s hard to do a job such as theirs without building a callous immunity to the suffering around them. Whether an individual Night Hunter follows law or chaos depends largely on his personal worldview.
Religion: Night Hunters are a diverse lot, and share no common religion. Many of the evil ones revere Nerull, and some of them worship Olidammara.

Background: Some Night Hunters learn their trade out of shear necessity for survival. Others learn the trade to make a living as Assassins for hire. Still others regard their particular brand of skills as an undesirable, but unavoidable part of the struggle against the forces of evil. Many of the best Night Hunters view their set of abilities as something to be perfected for its own sake.

Races: Humans are far and wide the most common Night Hunters, and many times the most unsavory, often being unprincipled and ruthlessly effective. Halflings make very effective Night Hunters when they take up the mantle, but generally something very big must change a Halfling’s positive view of the world to make them jaded and cynical enough to become even good Night Hunters. Elves are much the same as Halflings, good but reluctant, although Drow excel at this path. Dwarves look upon the tactics of Night Hunters dishonorable, and rarely choose this path. Very few Gnomes or Half-Orcs have the skills necessary to become good Night Hunters.

Other Classes: Generally Night Hunters work best alone, or with parties of other stealthy characters. Barbarians and Bards share the inability to remain quiet, Clerics and Druids are appreciated buffers, but many Clerics frown upon the Night Hunters methods. Fighters spend all their time in massive iron suits that prevent any form of stealth. Wizards and Sorcerers are nice to have along, but can ruin everything with their childish delight in lighting things on fire.

Role: Night Hunters can serve as able scouts, infiltrators and secondary spellcasters in a party, but their role, first and foremost, is killing the enemy. At the later levels Night Hunters can use their abilities to harry and cripple tougher foes, that the party might stand a better chance against them.

Game Rule Information
Night Hunters have the following game statistics.
Abillities: Dexterity is very important as it factors into many of the Night Hunter’s key skills, and armor class. Intelligence is also crucial because it affects how many skill points a Night Hunter gets, and how effective his various strikes are at the later levels.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d6

Class Skills
The Night Hunter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6+Int modifier) X 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6+Int Modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Night Hunter.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Night Hunters are proficient in all simple weapons, plus the all types of daggers, hand crossbow, rapier, shortbow (normal and composite), and shortsword. Night Warriors are proficient in light armor, but not with shields.

Sneak Attack: If a Night Hunter can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Basically, the Night Hunter’s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied his Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Night Hunter flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at first level, and increases by 1d6 every two Night Hunter levels thereafter. Should the Night Hunter score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. A Night Hunter can’t strike with deadly accuracy from beyond that range.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Night Hunter can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty, because he must make optimal use of his weapon to execute a sneak attack.
A Rogue can only sneak attack living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Night Hunter must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Night Hunter may not sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment, or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Evasion (Ex.): At second level and higher, a Night Hunter can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against on an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save he instead takes no damage. Evasion can only be used if the Night Hunter is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Night Hunter does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex.): Starting at 4th level, a Night hunter can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
If a Night Hunter already has uncanny dodge from a second class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Track: A Night Hunter gains Track as a bonus feat.

Spells: Beginning at 4th level a Night Hunter gains the ability to cast a number of arcane spells. To cast a spell, a Night Hunter must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so a Night Hunter with an intelligence score of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Night Hunter bonus spells are based on Intelligence, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the Night Hunter’s Intelligence bonus (if any). When the Night Hunter gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Intelligence score for that spell level. The Night Hunter’s spell list appears below. A Night Hunter casts spells just as a bard does.
Upon reaching 6th level, and at every even numbered level after that, a Night Hunter can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest level spell. A Night Hunter may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap at the same time he gains new spells known for that level.

Poison Use: Night Hunters are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade.
Bonus Ambush Feats: At 6th level a Night Hunter gains any one ambush feat as a bonus feat. The Night Hunter gains additional bonus ambush feats at levels 12 and 18. A Night Hunter must still meet all perquisites for a bonus ambush feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimum. These bonus ambush feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A Night Hunter is not limited to the list of Night Hunter bonus feats when choosing these feats.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex.): A Night Hunter of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked; he reacts to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he reacts to a single attacker. This defense denies a Rogue the ability to sneak attack the character flanking him, unless the character has at least four more levels in Rogue than the attacked character has levels in Night Hunter. Any other class that grants Improved Uncanny Dodge stacks with the character’s Night Hunter levels to determine the minimum Rogue level required to sneak attack them.

Hamstring: Upon reaching 10th level, if a Night Hunter makes a sneak attack that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the added effect of possibly hamstringing the opponent. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ˝ the Night Hunter’s class level + the Night Hunter’s Int modifier) against the effect he is hamstrung. A hamstrung character has their base land speed halved, and may not run or charge until he receives magical healing, or is healed with a Heal check (DC damage dealt). If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Creatures with more than two limbs require that at least a quarter of the creature's limbs be hamstrung for it to have any effect.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su.): By 11th level a Night Hunter can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a Night Hunter can hide himself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. He cannot however, hide in his own shadow.

Penetrating Strike: By 12th level a Night Hunter has become so skilled in the art of backstabbing that he is capable of harming even creatures normally invulnerable to his sneak attack. Penetrating strike allows a Night Hunter to sneak attack types of creatures normally immune to sneak attacks, such as constructs and undead, with one half his normal sneak attack damage dice.

Blinding Strike: Upon reaching 14th level, if a Night Hunter makes a sneak attack that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the added effect of possibly blinding the opponent. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ˝ the Night Hunter’s class level + the Night Hunter’s Int modifier) against the effect he is blinded for three rounds, as blood runs into his eyes. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. This attack only affects creatures that have a single area with eyes, you could not, for example, blind a Beholder.

Skill Mastery: At 16th level a Night Hunter becomes so certain in the use of some skills that he can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. On gaining this ability he selects a number of skills equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with on of these skills, he may take ten even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so.

Crippling Strike: Upon reaching 20th level, if a Night Hunter makes a sneak attack that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the added effect of possibly crippling the opponent. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ˝ the Night Hunter’s class level + the Night Hunter’s Int modifier) against the effect he takes 1d4 ability drain to an ability of the assassin’s choice. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack.

Sorry about the spells per day, but I have neither the knowledge or will power required to make nested tables on here. Silly me, just thought I'd cut and paste the stuff I've been working on for the past three days.

bobthe6th
2012-05-01, 05:24 PM
first things first:
format this
add a table (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677), separate the abilities so it isn't a text wall, bold the ability names, ect.
make it look like an actual class entry in a source book, and I will actually read it. as it is, it makes my eyes hurt.

White_Drake
2012-05-01, 05:46 PM
Sorry, I just cut and paste, I didn't realize that it wouldn't format. I just finished re-formatting it... Isn't there a way to streamline the processes to make a table?

bobthe6th
2012-05-01, 06:03 PM
I would suggest a)removing the spoiler and b) putting the table at the top

and yes, in the thread are some premades, but it is still a massive pain in the kiester...

edit: it needs skill points per level.
edit edit: double spacing is your freind, it makes less text waliness(you lack the crazy fluff that lets TG osker get away with it.)

White_Drake
2012-05-01, 06:12 PM
Oops! Sorry about that. Umm... I can't seem to find a line spacing drop down menu...

bobthe6th
2012-05-01, 06:26 PM
its manual, so more one minute plus an enter key adding a line between each ability and section and stuff. clears the wall o' text problem. (sorry for the hoops, but really, it helps in the long run...)

I would also suggest bolding the special section, as it helps make each abilaty more distinct...

on the actual class... well, it needs some way to take down foes immune to sneak attack. otherwise the class sits on its hands 1 out of 5 fights as there is nothing to sneak attack.

White_Drake
2012-05-01, 07:02 PM
Crud... Time's up on edits...

Edit: Never mind, my server was going haywire. I thought that the editing duration never expired for the original post.

Dumorimasoddaa
2012-05-01, 07:03 PM
For an assassin base class you don't seem to ever gain a death attack ability.

Also the spell casting is one very limited, and develops at a slightly odd rate. I'd concider giving catrips from 1st level and pushing to more spells perday or an extar spell level known by 20th. As is the class worse than going rouge then taking 10 levels of assassin. As a base class it should be "better" in the sense of being an assassin at 20th level than a rouge 10/assassin 10. You have 10 levels of spell casting spread over 15/16 levels.

With the loss of 2 skill points per level, trap-finding and trap sense you gain a few more ambush feats(saddly as written slightly underpowered as "real" feat choices) and 3 on sneak attack damage effects that are quite nice but only come in to play at the last half of the character.

There's already some nice Rouge ACFs that swap trapsense and/or trapfinding for more combat based abilities. The Drow Rouge ACF give's poison use for trapfinding at 1st level. I recall an second ACF replacing trapsense granting poison use and increasing the DC of poisons by 1 every 3rd level after as well.

You could easly take both granting posion use at 1st level and a +1 to the DC replacing the rouge's trapsense directly. There's also a few 3rd level trapsense replaces that let you do either half sneak attack dice or damage after rolling when flanking or vs a certain type (namely undead) again we are looseing skill points, most of the rouge special abilities, though we get to keep skill mastery. It wouldn't be too unbecoming to also add the abillity to do half sneak attack damage to even those immune (either halving the dice or the number rolled) at some point as well.

As for the spellcasting I'd be temped to copy the same spells per day as the bard but starting with 0 0lvl spells known. Thus netting 4 4th level spells at level 20 per day and possabily 3/4 5th level spells. Again how you treat the spells know is another issue. Though I might aim for 6 spells know per level, at the time you can cast 4 spells per day, with a swap older spells for a different one every even level from 4th on wards.

Though this is all just rough eyeballing and will produce a class more powerful than a rouge/assassin in combat(at least at pure damage some of the time) if not out of it where extra skill points and marginally worse spell casting aren't so much of a biggy.

White_Drake
2012-05-01, 07:30 PM
First off, I lowered Poison Use to 3rd level, and I added in Penetrating Strike at 12th level (1/2 sneak attack dice on immune types). Second, although Death Attack is the primary ability for Assassins, it just doesn't work well in combat, and I'd rather use the power that would go into it to make more useful powers (for a combat character). The spellcasting progression is identical to that of a Ranger or Paladin, so blame WoTC, not me; if you played Rogue 10, and then switched to Assassin for ten levels, you would get the spells quicker with this, and they end up with the same spells per day. I completely forgot about spells known :smallredface: , but they are the same as the Assassin (I don't have time now, but I'll post it officially first thing tomorrow). It also shares a spell list with the Assassin.

Amechra
2012-05-01, 08:01 PM
Have them prep spells from their entire list; it wouldn't be broken, and would be a substantial increase in power.

Ecalsneerg
2012-05-01, 08:02 PM
The first three levels could use a little more oomph. As it stands, you're just a Rogue... with less skill points, no trapfinding, and trading trap sense for poison use when there, as pointed out, already exist Rogue ACFs to get poison use.

CGforever!
2012-05-02, 03:08 PM
I agree with post #8. I would also give them poison use at first level, since all they have is sneak attack +1d6.

I also noticed that they get class features at 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, and 20th. Why not 18th?

They get track, but don't have survival. That might be okay, if you meant urban tracking instead, which makes more sense.

There was a neat assassin fix a while back, I'll see if I can find it.

Also, I know of a simple rogue variant (called assassin):

-6 skills per level, don't get disable device and open lock
-poison use instead of trapfinding
-+1 DC to poisons used (increases as trap sense), replaces trap sense
-d8 on sneak attacks
-death attack at 10th instead of a special ability

Malachei
2012-05-06, 06:34 AM
Doesn't look too bad at all. What about the spell list? You'll probably want a lot of swift-action spells.