PDA

View Full Version : A little RP help

Kane0
2012-05-01, 07:09 PM
Hello there Forums!

Ive recently begun playing a game of D&D with some friends as a spellcaster (Similar in function to a 3.5 Warlock) that is 'possessed' by (more like hosting) four spirits, each a different corner of the alignment table and were different classes and races during life.

This is because he offered to help them in return for their arcane power and experience, so they now travel 'with' him to accomplish their own goals and lend him their knowledge and might.

The way I currently RP him is that he is more or less in control as they bicker amongst themselves but occasionally when something happens (usually when taken by surprise or has a conflicted opinion) he makes a will save (DC appropriate to situation, half DM half player decision) or roll a d4 and act according to how the spirit rolled would (1=LG, 2=CG, 3=LE, 4=CE).

So my questions are:
What is your opinion?
Is this appropriate to a RP heavy campaign?
Is there a simpler/more elegant way to do this?
What is an easy way to combine 4 characters into this guy?
To what extent will/should it affect RP & Combat?
Do you have any cool sources to get inspiration from?

And anything else you'd like to say really, I'm just looking for feedback.

DrBurr
2012-05-01, 10:08 PM
From what I'm interpreting from your post (Which may be wrong)

Essentially your character has a Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil spirit living inside them. And you determine which one you listen to by using a Will Save and then rolling a d4 to determine which one is in charge.

This concept is really not far off with something my group has and currently is redealing with, though we call it an insanity check. Really in a High RP campaign I find insane characters or in your case conflicted possessed characters amusing and can really have some interesting development if your DM catches on, so unless one of your fellow players or DM asks you to stop you should be fine.

When your executing this in battle you should really only roll this check like at the start of battle and then fight like that spirit is in control so if a Wizard takes control maybe fight more defensively in the rear then if a Barbarian took control where you'd fight up front. I suggest the limit on the spirit shifts because it could really slow down combat if your sitting their recalculating your tactics because you failed another will save, not that this can't happen but they should be rare occurrences like when you get knocked out or maybe in long battles.

My final suggestion to you is to get your DM more involved in your character if their not already, specifically give your DM control over the 4 voices when 1 isn't possessing you. I say this for 2 reasons, first this can allow your DM to help entertain you and the group through quest hooks or simple struggles of character, and second, a more personal reason, When I was playing with a similar character in the group I found it just a bit annoying when the player would stop the game just so they could talk to themselves, just like how a DM shouldn't hold up the game while 2 NPCs talk to each other a player shouldn't either.

Good luck with your character :smallbiggrin:

Kane0
2012-05-01, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your reply.

The primary RP occurs on a private forum we use only to speak between sessions, and it seems to work very well. The rest in the session I am more or less neutral except for extreme situations (like being at the wrong end of a bunch of crossbows held by desperate clerics).

In combat I have been 'suppressing' the spirits to get a feel around, but your idea does seem a good one. I think i'll start doing that.

My DM does make me make the will saves, but it is a mostly internal thing for my character at the present. In the future the Spirits will take a more active role but for now its just me. I may even ask another player to help be the 'voice' of the spirits using my familiar (which will be a totally useless and mindless ghost-like creature that the spirits also inhabit to give my character room to think). My rolls aren't too often (maybe twice a session) so I don't stop play, I just use it to gauge my actions and reactions. And I don't talk to myself in game, thats only on the forum between sessions.:smallamused:

DrBurr
2012-05-02, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your reply.

The primary RP occurs on a private forum we use only to speak between sessions, and it seems to work very well. The rest in the session I am more or less neutral except for extreme situations (like being at the wrong end of a bunch of crossbows held by desperate clerics).

In combat I have been 'suppressing' the spirits to get a feel around, but your idea does seem a good one. I think i'll start doing that.

My DM does make me make the will saves, but it is a mostly internal thing for my character at the present. In the future the Spirits will take a more active role but for now its just me. I may even ask another player to help be the 'voice' of the spirits using my familiar (which will be a totally useless and mindless ghost-like creature that the spirits also inhabit to give my character room to think). My rolls aren't too often (maybe twice a session) so I don't stop play, I just use it to gauge my actions and reactions. And I don't talk to myself in game, thats only on the forum between sessions.:smallamused:

Glad I could help, Happy possessions

DrBurr
2012-05-02, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Glad I could help, Happy possessions