PDA

View Full Version : Construct Army [3.5]

Omegas
2012-05-01, 07:10 PM
Looking for another book reference.

Where is it written how many constructs a player can bring to a battle?

Question 2.
Rumor has it that all constructs damage their creator when they are destroyed. I was under the impression that this was only applicable for the constructs that specifically state they did so. Am I wrong? If so where is it written?

Roguenewb
2012-05-01, 07:18 PM
There is no book reference for the first question because you are not limited. You can have as many as you want to build/buy. Building costs XP, and buying costs gold, so those serve as limits to your army (and neither are cheap!). For damage, I don't know where you heard that, but it's simply untrue.

Omegas
2012-05-01, 08:02 PM
There is no book reference for the first question because you are not limited. You can have as many as you want to build/buy. Building costs XP, and buying costs gold, so those serve as limits to your army (and neither are cheap!). For damage, I don't know where you heard that, but it's simply untrue.

There are a few constructs (more servants then combatants) with limited material cost (basically found or readily available crap) that harm the creator when they are destroyed.

Cant think of the name (Think creepy green Garden thing kissing a toad) of it but we had a druid that kept making these grass constructs that constantly disobeyed her orders. When one of them got destroyed she instantly took damage.

rmg22893
2012-05-01, 08:05 PM
There are a few constructs (more servants then combatants) with limited material cost (basically found or readily available crap) that harm the creator when they are destroyed.

Cant think of the name (Think creepy green Garden thing kissing a toad) of it but we had a druid that kept making these grass constructs that constantly disobeyed her orders. When one of them got destroyed she instantly took damage.

Sound like boguns.

Omegas
2012-05-01, 08:08 PM
Sound like boguns.Yha I think that was what she called them. She made like 10 of them an kept them in a bag of holding.

Water_Bear
2012-05-01, 08:09 PM
Ditto on that. This sounds like an awful house rule. :smallconfused:

I'm pretty sure the actual costs of said Constructs, and the accompanying time and xp costs, are the only real limits on what you can build and how many you can control. The damage thing is obviously incorrect, and somewhat bizarre.

If you want to be a Warforged Artificer riding a herd of Owlbear Effigies into battle, the only limit to how many you bring into battle is how much you hate the rest of the people at the table.

Jack_Simth
2012-05-02, 07:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the actual costs of said Constructs, and the accompanying time and xp costs, are the only real limits on what you can build and how many you can control. The damage thing is obviously incorrect, and somewhat bizarre. That aspect comes from the Homunculus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/homunculus.htm), and is mostly the only place you find it (Boguns are a druid version that are mostly free-willed, but have a similar clause). For constructs in general, it's not true.

Also note that anything that has that clause also has a purchase price of "-", as they're never sold (for good reason).